The future of Hannibal Mejbri - will he get a real chance this season?

Lee565

With gomes name being brought up in this thread, I think the club played it's part in him turning out to not live up to his potential, the guy was stuck in the youth side for too long and let's be honest ole is not exactly a great judge of character and ability seeing as he signed bissaka and gave the likes of Pereira and Williams plenty of chances and made mctominay a regular for united and I struggle to believe that Pereira, mctominay or Williams would be stand out performers for lille either.

Also as a club we have been abysmal at at handling and developing young players for years now and barely any technical and skillful attacking players have flourished at the club either post fergie and also have great reservations our youth developmental system as well which has likely been neglected like most of the club in the footballing department unde the glazers.

With gomes name being brought up in this thread, I think the club played it's part in him turning out to not live up to his potential, the guy was stuck in the youth side for too long and let's be honest ole is not exactly a great judge of character and ability seeing as he signed bissaka and gave the likes of Pereira and Williams plenty of chances and made mctominay a regular for united and I struggle to believe that Pereira, mctominay or Williams would be stand out performers for lille either.

Also as a club we have been abysmal at at handling and developing young players for years now and barely any technical and skillful attacking players have flourished at the club either post fergie and also have great reservations our youth developmental system as well which has likely been neglected like most of the club in the footballing department unde the glazers.
Curious as to how you can conclude this. Say whatever you like about the manager, he had no hesitation whatsoever in throwing Greenwood (a year younger than Gomes) straight into the team the same season when he decided he was ready to contribute at Premier League level.

Other players in Gomes's age group (Reece James, Saka, Foden, Alexander-Arnold) were also playing regular Premier League football for teams of better or comparable quality to us by the age of 19/20. If anything, the fact Gomes couldn't get a game ahead of Lingard/Pereira/Mata/James that season suggests he just wasn't ready to step up to senior football. He's also a bit of a midget, which can't have helped .

The question isn't whether McTominay or Pereira would stand out for Lille, it's whether Gomes has shown anything in his senior career to date that suggests Solskjaer (or Mourinho before him) was wrong to not play him. The answer is no (so far - who knows, Gomes may turn out to be a late bloomer).

Also not sure how you can say we've been abysmal at handling young players for years. How many other top PL clubs have had academy players make as many appearances as Rashford, Greenwood and McTominay have managed for us since their debuts? If someone's ready, they get plenty of opportunities.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Other players in Gomes's age group (Reece James, Saka, Foden, Alexander-Arnold) were also playing regular Premier League football for teams of better or comparable quality to us by the age of 19/20. If anything, the fact Gomes couldn't get a game ahead of Lingard/Pereira/Mata/James that season suggests he just wasn't ready to step up to senior football. He's also a bit of a midget, which can't have helped .
I do think Gomes probably should have got a bit more of a chance. That was the season that both Lingard and Mata were in absolute career worst form, and the two games that Gomes was actually played as a #10 he was fairly good. Unfortunately most of his chances in the first team were out wide where he definitely did struggle (unsurprisingly when you look at his physical attributes), and that seemed to cost him any further chances in his preferred position.

He probably wouldn't have made it, but when the older players he was competing with are playing that incredibly badly I do think he should have gotten a couple more opportunities.

lex talionis

In what universe? Isn’t setting the world alight at Everton, did feck all at United. So please explain how he’s ’vastly better’. Ole didn’t think so, nor does Ralf, i haven’t seen anything from him where I’d say he’s going to make it at United.
Hannibal has a better chance of making at United that Donny.
Everton were in freefall before Donny arrived and looks a completely lost squad now. But we have a Donny thread to debate whether he’s a completely shite footballer.

As for Hannibal, I’d be really disappointed if he’s also not given a chance.

He probably wouldn't have made it, but when the older players he was competing with are playing that incredibly badly I do think he should have gotten a couple more opportunities
That's fair enough. I'm assuming part of the reason he didn't get a look in is that Pereira and Lingard, awful as they were, were at least fully developed adults and therefore less likely to be bullied out of games - but they were literally useless when we had the ball, so at that point you might as well throw a teenager in. Especially in the first half of that season while Pogba was out and Fernandes hadn't been signed.

Can make the same argument for Hannibal in fairness, the way Rashford is playing right now.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That's fair enough. I'm assuming part of the reason he didn't get a look in is that Pereira and Lingard, awful as they were, were at least fully developed adults and therefore less likely to be bullied out of games - but they were literally useless when we had the ball, so at that point you might as well throw a teenager in. Especially in the first half of that season while Pogba was out and Fernandes hadn't been signed.
Pereira was actually quite good (by his standards) that season when we were using him at #10 or right wing. From memory our points per game were literally double when he played compared to Mata and Lingard. So he was rightfully first choice at one stage and should have been for longer. It was only when we had our entire midfield injured and we dropped him back into that position that he absolutely stank the place out, at which point Ole unfairly dropped him below the other two in the pecking order in the more attacking positions again. Of course then we signed Bruno who completely dominated the #10 position from that point on.

In the first half of that season, if we based it on performances Periera should have been clear first choice at #10 and Gomes should have been given the opportunity to be his main back-up. Gomes was only picked in that position twice and he was arguably our best player in both games if I remember correctly (neither game was with our strongest squad though). Lingard and Mata were both in unbelievably bad form yet kept getting picked ahead of Pereira and Gomes, which was probably the first thing that really annoyed me in Ole's tenure. It screamed to me of the same thing Mourinho did the season before with Lukaku and Matic always playing just because the manager liked them more despite them being the two worst performing players in the squad.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Wasting his time here. With no European football at United next season he wont be getting a chance next season either.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's a good thing that he extended otherwise he would have done a Pogba.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wasting his time here. With no European football at United next season he wont be getting a chance next season either.
Needs a loan next year 100%. Send him to Germany or back to france and play every week. Even a championship loan, he's too good to be sat watching until we decide he's allowed 5 minutes.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Honestly, this place. If we had a few more weeks left in the season people will probably be writing ‘with no PL football next season’. We can still make 4th even let alone some sort of acceptance that we will not be in Europe at all.

The Urban Goose

Honestly, this place. If we had a few more weeks left in the season people will probably be writing ‘with no PL football next season’. We can still make 4th even let alone some sort of acceptance that we will not be in Europe at all.
Also the comments that such and such player is wasting his career here and is better off elsewhere. Baffling. Surely we should want the best possible players here, as that's the best for the club? Or is the club now secondary to ensuring the players have the best career possible?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Also the comments that such and such player is wasting his career here and is better off elsewhere. Baffling. Surely we should want the best possible players here, as that's the best for the club? Or is the club now secondary to ensuring the players have the best career possible?
How is not using or developing our players the best for the club? It's just a waste for everyone involved and one that is more costly for the player.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We can make 4th in theory but if we're being realistic we won't, of our last 12 we've won 3, our form is in the gutter with no sign of it turning round. Anyway, we've given Elanga plenty of chances so it shouldn't be a sticking point regardless, Mejbri and Elanga have been the U23 standouts for a while now so it doesn't seem right we've promoted one but not the other. Mejbri's a 19 year old, £8m asset who's already played senior football for his country, if I were him I'd be questioning why I can't get 5 minutes in a season that's been essentially dead since the beginning of March.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Top four is mathematically achievable, no doubt, but the problem is the players have no desire to get us there. And why would they? Much of our first team won't be here next year. They're going through the motions, unwilling to risk an injury before the transfer window opens. At least that's how it looks from my point of view.

Either way, I can't see this squad motivating themselves to push a club into a CL spot that they won't be playing for next season. In that case, what's the harm in giving the kids a go?

We can make 4th in theory but if we're being realistic we won't, of our last 12 we've won 3, our form is in the gutter with no sign of it turning round. Anyway, we've given Elanga plenty of chances so it shouldn't be a sticking point regardless, Mejbri and Elanga have been the U23 standouts for a while now so it doesn't seem right we've promoted one but not the other. Mejbri's a 19 year old, £8m asset who's already played senior football for his country, if I were him I'd be questioning why I can't get 5 minutes in a season that's been essentially dead since the beginning of March.
Part of the reason for him not being as far forward as Elanga is that he has missed two big chunks of the season by being away with his country at the two tournaments. Now overall for his football development this was the best thing for him but in terms of breaking into Uniteds first team it has allowed Elanga to steal a march on him. And fair play to Elanga who has overall done well in the senior side. I suspect once champions league is mathematically gone he may well get some minutes. For next season it depends on wheteher the new manager fancies him or thinks a loan is a better option, he might end up at Ajax next season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, I think he's going to play the rest of our games this season. Pogba is done.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Matic in decline physically and can't play against high energy midfields, or high pressing midfields. Donny completely unfancied, and we simply don't know how good or bad he will turn out. Fred and McTominay are the only current options Ole fancies, as well as dropping Pogba deep which we have seen both limits significantly his impact, and despite introducing passing ability in midfield, increases it's positional frailty without increasing its tempo.

Now Mejbri is with the club this season instead of being loaned out as in a year he'll qualify as home grown. He's way too good for the U23s, is a starter for his national team, and regularly targeted in matches with little to no protection from refs. He's not going to improve playing U23 matches, and we're just risking serious injury. As @Adnan has said, he was deployed as a deep midfielder for Monaco prior to playing further up field for United in the academy. He's got the skillset to receive the ball under pressure, has great technical ability, and is really the only player we have who could be capable of collecting the ball from deep and progressing play, since Matic can no longer do this (and Pogba can, but is very risky in doing so). Unlike the others, his ceiling for improvement is vast and he very much needs real football.

Will he get a real chance this season - are there any quotes from Ole on Mejbri?
There's one game left and I doubt Rangnick will start him, but Matic among others in the first team have been impressed by Hannibal's ability.

Official site: "Matic, who has announced he will leave the Reds after five years’ service, rates the 19-year-old highly and is looking forward to seeing how he develops"

“I have to say that Hannibal is a fantastic player [and a] great character,” Matic said in an exclusive farewell interview covering his United career.
“The talent he has, he needs to use that. I really want to see him in the future and how he will grow.”
Hannibal has been included in four of United’s last seven matchday squads by Ralf Rangnick, as he gains experience alongside fellow young prospects Alejandro Garnacho, Alvaro Fernandez and Shola Shoretire.

"Matic sees that as fully deserved, given the teenager’s potential, and he hopes last season’s Under-23s Player of the Year can make a sustained United breakthrough next term as everyone at the club looks ahead to a new era."
“I hope so [to see him get more minutes],” the Serbian added.
“I think that every time I see him in training, he surprises me with his quality, he’s still young, but I’m very excited.
“I really want to see how he’s growing and improving.”

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
There's one game left and I doubt Rangnick will start him, but Matic among others in the first team have been impressed by Hannibal's ability.

Official site: "Matic, who has announced he will leave the Reds after five years’ service, rates the 19-year-old highly and is looking forward to seeing how he develops"

“I have to say that Hannibal is a fantastic player [and a] great character,” Matic said in an exclusive farewell interview covering his United career.
“The talent he has, he needs to use that. I really want to see him in the future and how he will grow.”
Hannibal has been included in four of United’s last seven matchday squads by Ralf Rangnick, as he gains experience alongside fellow young prospects Alejandro Garnacho, Alvaro Fernandez and Shola Shoretire.

"Matic sees that as fully deserved, given the teenager’s potential, and he hopes last season’s Under-23s Player of the Year can make a sustained United breakthrough next term as everyone at the club looks ahead to a new era."
“I hope so [to see him get more minutes],” the Serbian added.
“I think that every time I see him in training, he surprises me with his quality, he’s still young, but I’m very excited.
“I really want to see how he’s growing and improving.”
That's a lovely touch from uncle Matic. If he's speaking about him in these terms it definitely means he's doing well in training. I also can't imagine him starting against Palace, but I'm definitely expecting him to feature significantly under ten Hag.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's a lovely touch from uncle Matic. If he's speaking about him in these terms it definitely means he's doing well in training. I also can't imagine him starting against Palace, but I'm definitely expecting him to feature significantly under ten Hag.
I still can’t believe he threw him in against liverpool but won’t seem to use him in other games.

He really does deserve some good minutes.

Pughnichi

Re Matic recent interview you’ve got to question…if he’s a fantastic talent, why hasn’t he gotten games. I can almost guarantee if he was at barca (and others) he would have gotten more minutes to aid his development.

it’s obvious there’s a special player there and it beggars belief why, at this stage of the season, our current standing and with our current midfield options he hasn’t been afforded at least a handful of opportunities

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Re Matic recent interview you’ve got to question…if he’s a fantastic talent, why hasn’t he gotten games. I can almost guarantee if he was at barca (and others) he would have gotten more minutes to aid his development.

it’s obvious there’s a special player there and it beggars belief why, at this stage of the season, our current standing and with our current midfield options he hasn’t been afforded at least a handful of opportunities
It’s really not the right environment this season to blood players. It could do a lot more hard than good. He’s still only 19, I expect he will be looking for assurances of 5/10 matches next season or failing that going on loan.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It’s really not the right environment this season to blood players. It could do a lot more hard than good. He’s still only 19, I expect he will be looking for assurances of 5/10 matches next season or failing that going on loan.
I mean, we do have a really bad habit of overstating academy players ability and ceiling here. Anyone remember Angel Gomes....starting about every third or fourth game for Lille. Has gotten one goal and one assist in 25 appearances or so.

Have a feeling Hannibal will end up the same. I certainly hope not but feel this will be the same path for him.

Now, this isn't a bad thing, the academy should produce great players we can sell/give careers too. We don't always have to produce class of 92 every year.

In Rainbows

I mean, we do have a really bad habit of overstating academy players ability and ceiling here. Anyone remember Angel Gomes....starting about every third or fourth game for Lille. Has gotten one goal and one assist in 25 appearances or so.

Have a feeling Hannibal will end up the same. I certainly hope not but feel this will be the same path for him.

Now, this isn't a bad thing, the academy should produce great players we can sell/give careers too. We don't always have to produce class of 92 every year.
Some players would standout in any youth system. The transition to the men's game is unpredictable. I'm not sure it's a case of just us overhyping how talented the players are, versus underestimating the guesswork involved in players making the stepup. However, I do think we overrate the non-standout talents in our youth system simply because they positively contribute for the youth sides.

Last edited:

Marwood

There was always a massive question mark with Gomes though because of how small he is.

Apart from the challenges all young players face there's no one big obstacle like that holding back Hannibal.

Bondi77

Surely Garner would be getting time next season over Hannibal wouldn’t he???
He has regular game for the past two seasons in the Championship and Hannibal has just had u23 experience so Garner is obviously in front in that regard.

Tango80

Hannibal ideally needs a loan next year to a Championship club, maybe. I don't think he's quite at the level to be playing for us yet.

redcucumber

Hannibal ideally needs a loan next year to a Championship club, maybe. I don't think he's quite at the level to be playing for us yet.
Out of interest, why not? Curtis Jones was featuring regularly for Liverpool when he was around Hannibal's age.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A show of faith getting a start finally, what with the game deciding Europa or Conference.

Hope he takes it in his stride!

pascell

What's with the obsession of loaning everyone out? Just because they might not be good enough right now doesn't mean they won't be come the end of the season.

macheda14

Surely Garner would be getting time next season over Hannibal wouldn’t he???
He has regular game for the past two seasons in the Championship and Hannibal has just had u23 experience so Garner is obviously in front in that regard.
Quite different players no? Currently Mejbri will be getting games on the left / as a number 10 (although his future is probably as an 8). Garner would be getting games as a 6 or 8, although he has played a fair bit for Forest as a more advanced midfielder.

Bondi77

Quite different players no? Currently Mejbri will be getting games on the left / as a number 10 (although his future is probably as an 8). Garner would be getting games as a 6 or 8, although he has played a fair bit for Forest as a more advanced midfielder.
I would think with the current state of the team there would be more of a need for Garner but I am sure that will change with Erik taking charge.