The future of Hannibal Mejbri - will he get a real chance this season?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thats all well and good for the Glazers, I dont actually care if we play in the Europa conference league or not. We are not getting champions league football, so yeah, for me nothing to play for.

Giving one player minutes does not equal giving kids minutes. if Mejbri is as talented as people say he is, why can't he play?

That's like saying you are against Ralf for playing Elanga over Rashford because he is a senior pro?
I’m not against anything. I’m just pointing out that it’s deluded to expect the manager to not pick his strongest possible team because “we’ve nothing to play for”. If he thinks Mejbri is part of that strongest possible team then great, he should play him. But he should have been playing him when still had a chance of making the top four.

Marwood

Its not really petty, its doing things for Manutd rather than players. We need to look after Manutd not individual players.

If you are not good enough (Lingard) and you do not want to play here (Pogba), then a player coming through should be given the opportunity.

Especially, if we have nothing to play for this season, building for next season is more important than finishing 7th over 8th.
Getting a handful of games at the end of this season won't build them for next year. It's neither here nor there.

I'm keen to see them get a chance but the reality is that they're likely years away from being the players we need them to be.

The best thing for them would be for us to qualify for the Europa. That's where they can get consistent game exposure next season. With some league appearances chucked in.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Its not really petty, its doing things for Manutd rather than players. We need to look after Manutd not individual players.

If you are not good enough (Lingard) and you do not want to play here (Pogba), then a player coming through should be given the opportunity.

Especially, if we have nothing to play for this season, building for next season is more important than finishing 7th over 8th.
Doing things for Manchester United would be picking your best team. And just because a player doesn’t want to continue at a club beyond the present season, that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t want to play on Saturday. And Saturday is what matters, not the team you are going to put out in December. That’s totally irrelevant.

Gordon Godot

Doing things for Manchester United would be picking your best team. And just because a player doesn’t want to continue at a club beyond the present season, that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t want to play on Saturday. And Saturday is what matters, not the team you are going to put out in December. That’s totally irrelevant.
I tink you dont really understand what planning and a long term strategy means. Players that are cruising towards leaving on frees and pocketing nice signing on bonuses can feck right off. No coincidence that Arteta sorted out both deadwood and similar egos at Arsenal and look at how he has turned thing around. its not as if playing these two clowns is achieving anycase, sick of Pogba jogging around like he's in a tribute match. Neither player should be anywhere near a match day squad. Get rid and good riddance.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I tink you dont really understand what planning and a long term strategy means. Players that are cruising towards leaving on frees and pocketing nice signing on bonuses can feck right off. No coincidence that Arteta sorted out both deadwood and similar egos at Arsenal and look at how he has turned thing around. its not as if playing these two clowns is achieving anycase, sick of Pogba jogging around like he's in a tribute match. Neither player should be anywhere near a match day squad. Get rid and good riddance.
Pogba has had several good games this season though, despite wanting to leave. If you don’t want to play him because he isn’t in form or something, then fine. It’s a silly approach otherwise. As Barcelona have learned after their initial stupid stance of attempting to ‘punish’ Dembele for not signing a new deal, before accepting that next season is next season - and they are best served picking the best team they can for now.

Chelsea have a host of players who haven’t committed, they are rightly still playing, because even Tuchel himself cannot know whether he will be at the club next season - all that matters is Saturday. Lingard came off the bench to score a late winner against West Ham (of all teams) this season. Who cares if he is in his last season (beyond petulant fans of course). Haaland has been expected to leave Dortmund in the summer for the whole year. Should Dortmund have dropped him this season as a result?

romufc

Pogba has had several good games this season though, despite wanting to leave. If you don’t want to play him because he isn’t in form or something, then fine. It’s a silly approach otherwise. As Barcelona have learned after their initial stupid stance of attempting to ‘punish’ Dembele for not signing a new deal, before accepting that next season is next season - and they are best served picking the best team they can for now.

Chelsea have a host of players who haven’t committed, they are rightly still playing, because even Tuchel himself cannot know whether he will be at the club next season - all that matters is Saturday. Lingard came off the bench to score a late winner against West Ham (of all teams) this season. Who cares if he is in his last season (beyond petulant fans of course). Haaland has been expected to leave Dortmund in the summer for the whole year. Should Dortmund have dropped him this season as a result?
There is one massive difference.

The players you mentioned, Haaland, Dembele are actually playing well, helping the team win.

The players in our team, are not doing that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There is one massive difference.

The players you mentioned, Haaland, Dembele are actually playing well, helping the team win.

The players in our team, are not doing that.
If you step back and read what you actually just wrote, you’ll see you have finally figured it out.

Marcus Rashford isn’t playing well either, despite having two years left on his deal. As a result, he has been left out. You leave players out because you feel they are not in the best team for any given game. Not because they won’t be at the club next season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If you step back and read what you actually just wrote, you’ll see you have finally figured it out.

Marcus Rashford isn’t playing well either, despite having two years left on his deal. As a result, he has been left out. You leave players out because you feel they are not in the best team for any given game. Not because they won’t be at the club next season.
Apologies, that was rude.

Gordon Godot

AS other point out these players like Dembele are now actually performing well. When did Pogba last put in a shift or look like he gave a sh*t. Remember this guy was a record signing, on massive wages and supposedly a World Cup winning talent. He should have been able to dominate an average Leicester, did he? Calling out a goal Lingard scored 6 months ago frankly embarrassing.

romufc

]

Paul Pogba is not playing well either.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
AS other point out these players like Dembele are now actually performing well. When did Pogba last put in a shift or look like he gave a sh*t. Remember this guy was a record signing, on massive wages and supposedly a World Cup winning talent. He should have been able to dominate an average Leicester, did he? Calling out a goal Lingard scored 6 months ago frankly embarrassing.
And as I have pointed out to others, picking these players who are performing well has no correlation to their contract situation. As shown by Marcus Rashford, whose contract does not expire in the summer.

There is nothing embarrassing about referencing an important winner Lingard got this season. In fact, it is a clear fecking example of a player who won’t sign a deal still contributing and adding value to his team. Imagine we cut our nose off and refused to bring him on in that game?

Your rationale is where the flaw lies. Starting right from your ‘he won the World Cup, why didn’t he ‘dominate’ Leicester’ to the attempt to make any point other than a player should simply be dropped if he is playing poorly, and played if he is playing well. It’s that simple. You can make any case you like about Pogba’s performance and say he should be dropped. But that is not an argument unique to this season, people have been making that same argument long before he entered the final year of his contract.

The contract status of Pogba and Lingard are completely irrelevant to their immediate selection is my point. As is the situation of Dembele or Haaland. Saying ‘but Dembele and Haaland are playing well though’ is my exact fecking point, that is the reason to play or drop a player, not their future at the club. Perhaps West Ham should never have player Lingard at all last season because he didn’t want to be there this season too? All that matters is Saturday.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
]

Paul Pogba is not playing well either.
Sigh.

Then by all means, don’t play him because he isn’t playing well enough. That is common sense and not petty at all. Petty is saying ‘he is leaving in the summer so he shouldn’t play anymore’. Which is the beginning and end of my point. It’s a silly argument.

JuriM

12 pages on him but I am still not really sure if he has what's needed to make it at this level. Apart from Elanga not really anyone from the youngsters has got the chance within the main team. What's his biggest weakness currently, physical attributes? Because Elanga has shown that he has the physicality to make it already.

Smores

He's good enough to have got time from the bench at least. I'm really surprised we've not seen any of him at all.

MUFC OK

12 pages on him but I am still not really sure if he has what's needed to make it at this level. Apart from Elanga not really anyone from the youngsters has got the chance within the main team. What's his biggest weakness currently, physical attributes? Because Elanga has shown that he has the physicality to make it already.
Immaturity/Indiscipline according to many. Don't see what can go wrong with throwing him on for 30 mins, especially alongside someone with lots of experience like Matic (who should be playing every game now anyway).

redmanx

I’m not against anything. I’m just pointing out that it’s deluded to expect the manager to not pick his strongest possible team because “we’ve nothing to play for”. If he thinks Mejbri is part of that strongest possible team then great, he should play him. But he should have been playing him when still had a chance of making the top four.
Our season is over, 6th place in the Prem is the best we can hope for now, so now is the time to put the kids in and let them show what they can do on the big stage. There has to be a huge clear out once the seasons over and the likes of Rashford, Dalot, Maguire, Pogba, Martial, Jones, Baily, Lindelof, Matic, Lingard and Telles should be shown the door. We should only play these players again this season if there is no other option.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Our season is over, 6th place in the Prem is the best we can hope for now, so now is the time to put the kids in and let them show what they can do on the big stage. There has to be a huge clear out once the seasons over and the likes of Rashford, Dalot, Maguire, Pogba, Martial, Jones, Baily, Lindelof, Matic, Lingard and Telles should be shown the door. We should only play these players again this season if there is no other option.
The season isn’t over and we can finish a lot lower than 6th. Which is why the manager will pick the strongest possible XI for every match. No matter what any of us would like him to do. So please stop with this “nothing to play for” stuff. That may be the case for some fans but it’s 100% not the case for the club/manager.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I saw Pedri tear is up last night and part of me is frustrated. I am not for one moment saying he's as talented but both players are in the same age group and Hannibal was rated as one of the most talented of his generation.
The fact is we just dont know how well he can adapt and it's frustrating not seeing us willing to take the risk. It's more frustrating when we see unbothered , lethargic wasters given the chance to fail over and over again. You even have players who have mentally checked out and have contracts expiring constantly getting in the squad ahead of him. What is the benefit of having Lingard or Mata in the squad ahead of him...someone explain it to me?
At least, let's see what the guy can do.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's physically capable of playing in the Arab cup and mens international football.

He's already played in a league match last year against Wolves. There really is no excuse's apart from already having 4/5 'experienced' players ahead of him to keep happy.

JuriM

He's physically capable of playing in the Arab cup and mens international football.

He's already played in a league match last year against Wolves. There really is no excuse's apart from already having 4/5 'experienced' players ahead of him to keep happy.
Ok Arab cup, but didn't he stay on the bench for most of AFCON? And I think AFCON was the more important tournament for Tunisia.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Ok Arab cup, but didn't he stay on the bench for most of AFCON? And I think AFCON was the more important tournament for Tunisia.
I tried watching few Tunisia game to see Hannibal when he comes on but it was tough watch. They went with physical players and were basically playing like thugs. No wonder they left a teenager on the bench for such tactics. Without context it will look like he was dropped for better players which is simply not true

Bondi77

These threads go around in circles.
Ask yourself this question,
If the manager watches the squad all train together and he knows certain players definitely will not be here next season and we have a young talent that we paid a reported 10mil for training in the group then why wouldn’t he select him on Matchday?
I think the answer is quite simple and that is he thinks he has a better chance of getting a result by picking other individuals and that is the job of the manager.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think he should get a chance at the end of this season. We really should be looking to blood in our most talented youngsters.

AndyMUFC86

Controversially I really wouldn’t mind us dropping into the europa or even the europa conference league next season. Maybe it will allow us to blood some of our most talented youth players, Hannibal and the likes. And let’s face it, if we make top 4 (we won’t) we wouldn’t do anything in the CL anyway. At least we have the chance of a trophy playing in the 2nd or 3rd tier of European football. Unfortunately that’s we’re we are at now and until the glazers sell up I don’t see it changing.

redmanx

The season isn’t over and we can finish a lot lower than 6th. Which is why the manager will pick the strongest possible XI for every match. No matter what any of us would like him to do. So please stop with this “nothing to play for” stuff. That may be the case for some fans but it’s 100% not the case for the club/manager.
Unfortunately its the same for many of those players I mentioned, the ones who dont care enough, the ones who never cared enough; what is the point of playing them when they dont care?With them yes, we may very well finish even lower. We should show the kids that we care about them and let them show that they care about the Club.

lex talionis

Absurd that Hannibal is given no chance whatsoever and Lingard, who begged to leave the club and we apparently a decent offer for him, is named to the bench.

Perhaps Hannibal is also "shite in training", the standard excuse made for Donny, who's a vastly better midfielder than Fred. I can't say the same for Hannibal as he's not even given a runout at the 85th minute.

There's something rotten to the core with this club. We used to develop young players, and while we're seeing that now with Elanga by all accounts Hannibal has incredible potential. It's not as though we'd be running the risk of not winning the PL trophy by giving him a chance.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Going to end up like Angel Gomes this one

Lee565

It's frustrating that our club are obsessed by a player's build whilst you look at barca and they will play a youth player based on their ability and not because of how strong they are.

It's why mctominay has somehow been regular whilst so many other youth players with as much talent have floundered in the youth team

Based Adnan

Lingard and Mata who are both leaving making the bench over Hannibal tells you all you need to know about this club currently

dubplate warrior

It's frustrating that our club are obsessed by a player's build whilst you look at barca and they will play a youth player based on their ability and not because of how strong they are.

It's why mctominay has somehow been regular whilst so many other youth players with as much talent have floundered in the youth team
Requires a proper system for these less physically gifted players to thrive. United haven't had that in a long time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Will be on of the most important signings we have made in recent times I suspect.

These threads go around in circles.
Ask yourself this question,
If the manager watches the squad all train together and he knows certain players definitely will not be here next season and we have a young talent that we paid a reported 10mil for training in the group then why wouldn’t he select him on Matchday?
I think the answer is quite simple and that is he thinks he has a better chance of getting a result by picking other individuals and that is the job of the manager.
I think a lot of people are under the impression the manager has exactly the same opportunity to "at least see what a player can do" as us - 90 minutes every game, and training isn't important at all. The only possible explanation for why these threads keep coming up.

See a few posts up: "going to end up like Angel Gomes this one". I remember the exact same complaints two seasons ago when we were struggling before signing Fernandes and Gomes wasn't getting any game time: "there's no possible way he can be worse than Mata, Pereira and Lingard".

Fast forward two years and Gomes has left us and done ... not much? Definitely nothing suggesting we were wrong to not toss him into the Premier League at the age of 19. Exact same goes for Hannibal: if he's ready for senior football, the coaches will see it before we do. And if he's not ready, tossing him in just because we have "nothing to play for" will do nothing for him or us.

Red_toad

Absurd that Hannibal is given no chance whatsoever and Lingard, who begged to leave the club and we apparently a decent offer for him, is named to the bench.

Perhaps Hannibal is also "shite in training", the standard excuse made for Donny, who's a vastly better midfielder than Fred. I can't say the same for Hannibal as he's not even given a runout at the 85th minute.

There's something rotten to the core with this club. We used to develop young players, and while we're seeing that now with Elanga by all accounts Hannibal has incredible potential. It's not as though we'd be running the risk of not winning the PL trophy by giving him a chance.
In what universe? Isn’t setting the world alight at Everton, did feck all at United. So please explain how he’s ’vastly better’. Ole didn’t think so, nor does Ralf, i haven’t seen anything from him where I’d say he’s going to make it at United.
Hannibal has a better chance of making at United that Donny.