The future of Hannibal Mejbri - will he get a real chance this season?

Scholsey2004

Did not know Ragnick has a reputation of giving youngsters chances.
When youre teaching new ideas at a club its probably easier to work with a blank slate. LvG promoted a lot of kids for the same reason. Hopefully Rangnick does better obviously, he certainly feels more relevant.

Daengophile

I wonder how well some of these youngsters will fare under the new management.

Some of Rangnick's previous quotes have put a huge emphasis on youth, stamina and speed so I can see him being excited about academy players and those out on loan.

The other side of that coin will be a possible clear out of some older, slower players

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
When youre teaching new ideas at a club its probably easier to work with a blank slate. LvG promoted a lot of kids for the same reason. Hopefully Rangnick does better obviously, he certainly feels more relevant.
Horrible example.

Let's take a look at youngsters that LvG gave first-team chances to:

Jesse Lingard, Tyler Blackett, Andreas Pereira, Paddy McNair, Tom Thorpe, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Donald Love, Joe Riley, Marcus Rashford, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, James Weir.

Other than Jesse-Rashy duo, all of them ended up being flops. Anybody can play random guys from youth team once or twice as part of 1st team. That is not a meaningful promotion.

Scholsey2004

Horrible example.

Jesse Lingard, Tyler Blackett, Andreas Pereira, Paddy McNair, Tom Thorpe, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Donald Love, Joe Riley, Marcus Rashford, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, James Weir.

Other than Jesse-Rashy duo, all of them ended up being flops. Anybody can play random guys from youth team once or twice as part of 1st team. That is not a meaningful promotion.
I think youve missed the point i was making: that its easier to coach a philosophy to someone without pre-existing programming. The quality of the players wasnt really relevant to the point.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I think youve missed the point i was making: that its easier to coach a philosophy to someone without pre-existing programming. The quality of the players wasnt really relevant to the point.
I agree with your point wholeheartedly.
Just saying that specific example was counter-productive since LvG didn't coach anything into most of them and didn't turn them into anything worthwhile. He was just giving them some first team play time out of populist intentions. LvG sucked, is all I am saying and there are better examples to your fair point

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I agree with your point wholeheartedly.
Just saying that specific example was counter-productive since LvG didn't coach anything into most of them and didn't turn them into anything worthwhile. He was just giving them some first team play time out of populist intentions. LvG sucked, is all I am saying and there are better examples to your fair point
Most of those players sucked as well to be fair.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Most of those players sucked as well to be fair.
The problem at the time was that our young talents weren't good enough with the exception of a few.

You need something to mould but sadly the talent wasn't there to mould. I think we've come a long way since and i'm quite optimistic about a number of youngsters now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He will no doubt have a place on the bench in the next couple of games (assuming they won't be postponed) before heading off to the AFCON. Ralf's comments are very positive and it's no surprise that he recognises his talents. We all know he's wasted in the 23s and now that we have a proper head coach the magic can unfold.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He will no doubt have a place on the bench in the next couple of games (assuming they won't be postponed) before heading off to the AFCON. Ralf's comments are very positive and it's no surprise that he recognises his talents. We all know he's wasted in the 23s and now that we have a proper head coach the magic can unfold.
I hope so. I don’t see what else he will gain from no involvement in mens football.

Bertie Wooster

There's no way he can go back to any kind of regular U23 football after establishing himself with Tunisia - and he'd already pretty much outgrown that level anyway with his performances, before the two senior tournaments with Tunisia.

I'd like to see him on the bench for the next couple of games, but I'd be surprised if he got much / any playing time. The African Nations might mess up negotiations over a loan so he might stay in and around our first team squad on his return and, if he does, I hope he's trusted with some (probably sub) appearances.

It'll definitely be senior football next year, but whether it's with us or out on loan will presumably depend on who the permanent manager is, and / or how well he does in the 2nd half of this season (with us or out on loan).

I love watching him play at youth level, and for Tunisia, and I'm eager to see how well he performs with us when / if he gets his opportunity.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The problem at the time was that our young talents weren't good enough with the exception of a few.

You need something to mould but sadly the talent wasn't there to mould. I think we've come a long way since and i'm quite optimistic about a number of youngsters now.
Agreed, the only other player even on that list that had some expectations was Pereria who we realized eventually was a bit of a jack of all trades that wasn’t good enough at a single spot for the highest levels.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

He'll be in the team for Boro then. And I expect he'll even start. With Donny off to Everton, he will surely get chances. We need something to be excited about and for me, he is that player.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

He'll be in the team for Boro then. And I expect he'll even start. With Donny off to Everton, he will surely get chances. We need something to be excited about and for me, he is that player.
Start? I shouldn't think so for one minute, he's got any number of players ahead of him in the pecking order, we need a win, and he's had what like 2 or 3 training sessions to impress?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Start? I shouldn't think so for one minute, he's got any number of players ahead of him in the pecking order, we need a win, and he's had what like 2 or 3 training sessions to impress?
I don't think we're going full strength. I think Rangnick will use this as an opportunity to get some players up to speed for the run in. And I think it will be sensible to do so. That being said, the squad will be a lot thinner, so it's not like wholesale changes. But I'd expect AWB and Shaw as full backs and even Jones to start (assuming he won't leave out on loan), and I expect Heaton in goal (if Henderson goes on loan).

We're at home to Boro. They're in good form, but they've scored the least amount of goals of the top 13 clubs in the Championship (1.14 gpg) but are relatively solid defensively (0.92 gpg). I get that this is a realistic chance of a trophy, but let's not pretend this is a major team. Of course, not to be taken lightly, but why have a squad of players if we're not using them for these occasions?

Stadjer

With Ole i wouldnt have been sure because he prefered older players and would likely play Mata instead of Hannibal when he had to pick one. Rangnick however gave a chance to Elanga with Rashford and Sancho sitting on the bench, we know from experience that Ole would have started a unfit out of form Rashford i those games.

Rangnick isnt afraid to give young players a chance, i actually think he prefers them. (like Louis van Gaal) Young players are more open to learning and changing their game to what Rangnick wants. Im not too worried about Hannibal not getting a chance anymore, i hope and expect to see him play quite a few minutes the rest of the season.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Please can we not force him to be what we want/ need as we will limit him, he's an #8, he can do a job on the wings, 6 or 10 as he is fairly versatile but he is a box to box player, hard working and has a bit of creativity, he needs to play where he is supposed to play, for me we have:

#10: Bruno, Donny
#8: Fred, Mctominay, Hannibal
#6: Matic, Garner

We often play Fred or Mctominay in the role of 2 #6 as we don't have a solid #6 to allow them to play as #8 but Hannibal needs to play with a proper #6.

Disclaimer: Just because Fred & Hannibal (As an example) both play, it doesn't mean they are similar players necessarily, they can play the role very differently.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It does seem he's the next one to be fast-tracked after Elanga. A central midfielder with some guile on the turn and ball carrying capability would be nice. Pogba has it in his locker but he always dwells on the ball too much.

macheda14

Please can we not force him to be what we want/ need as we will limit him, he's an #8, he can do a job on the wings, 6 or 10 as he is fairly versatile but he is a box to box player, hard working and has a bit of creativity, he needs to play where he is supposed to play, for me we have:

#10: Bruno, Donny
#8: Fred, Mctominay, Hannibal
#6: Matic, Garner

We often play Fred or Mctominay in the role of 2 #6 as we don't have a solid #6 to allow them to play as #8 but Hannibal needs to play with a proper #6.

Disclaimer: Just because Fred & Hannibal (As an example) both play, it doesn't mean they are similar players necessarily, they can play the role very differently.
I mean let's look at the current season in terms of personnel available (with Lingard most likely going).

LW: Rashford, Elanga
ST: Cavani, Ronaldo
RW: Sancho

10: Bruno, Pogba
8: Fred, Mctominay
6: Matic

Hannibal will very much need to play where he's needed. I don't think we have the liberty to only stick him as a #8.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I mean let's look at the current season in terms of personnel available (with Lingard most likely going).

Hannibal will very much need to play where he's needed. I don't think we have the liberty to only stick him as a #8.
I do understand that I just think we won't see the best of him in that role, I also think we will see Pogba as an #8 too, not a #10, I think we will play with two #8s

Zlatattack

I hope he gets a decent chance over the next 6 months. We're short on numbers in the middle as it is.

Chairman Steve

If he’s got a play style similar to Modric like people say then put him in the middle and see what happens. Modric has the build of a 13 year old girl and shrugs off the physicality when he plays central.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

I believe he is an outstanding footballer, and he could probably do a decent job in any of the midfield, wide positions, including DM, although I don't think Rangnick would play him there for one minute. Hannibal, I think, has the ability to adapt to wherever he is playing, but he's a very creative player, so a more forward position would suit him better at the moment.

Swedish_Plumber

Agreed about it all. Especially the excited part. Remember the Leeds/Newcastle games with Varane and Ronaldo and how we all felt? Seems years ago.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If he’s got a play style similar to Modric like people say then put him in the middle and see what happens. Modric has the build of a 13 year old girl and shrugs off the physicality when he plays central.
Modric at the same age was on loan to a team in Bosnia for a year, before spending another season on loan in Croatia. He was about 20 years old before he returned to his parent club Dinamo Zagreb.

DevTheRed

Can’t wait to see him as one of the 8’s.. seems to have a perfect blend of creativity and tenacity. Once he matures a bit he could also be a pretty handy 6.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
No chance he starts in the cup, looked unimpressive for Tunisia in the AFCON, albeit under mitigating circumstances.

He is knocking on the door for sure but not quite at the level yet to start in midfield for United, but you never know with Ralf!!

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He will get chances this season, I'm sure, and let's hope he can take those chances.
To me he seems to have a maturity about him when he's with the U23's, creates time on the ball for himself, and once he gets the physicality of the Prem, he will blossom.

Bestietom

It's all down to how he performs when he gets his chance. If he proves he is worth a place then I am sure Rangnick will play him.

SoCross

Horrible example.

Although to be fair, CBJ, TFM, Blackett and Riley looked good whenever they played under LVG.