The future of Hannibal Mejbri - will he get a real chance this season?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Matic in decline physically and can't play against high energy midfields, or high pressing midfields. Donny completely unfancied, and we simply don't know how good or bad he will turn out. Fred and McTominay are the only current options Ole fancies, as well as dropping Pogba deep which we have seen both limits significantly his impact, and despite introducing passing ability in midfield, increases it's positional frailty without increasing its tempo.

Now Mejbri is with the club this season instead of being loaned out as in a year he'll qualify as home grown. He's way too good for the U23s, is a starter for his national team, and regularly targeted in matches with little to no protection from refs. He's not going to improve playing U23 matches, and we're just risking serious injury. As @Adnan has said, he was deployed as a deep midfielder for Monaco prior to playing further up field for United in the academy. He's got the skillset to receive the ball under pressure, has great technical ability, and is really the only player we have who could be capable of collecting the ball from deep and progressing play, since Matic can no longer do this (and Pogba can, but is very risky in doing so). Unlike the others, his ceiling for improvement is vast and he very much needs real football.

Will he get a real chance this season - are there any quotes from Ole on Mejbri?

Judas

Open to offers
I'm not going to say he won't as its far too early to say, but I'm not getting my hopes up. We need a couple of long cup runs, and to get the CL group stage wrapped up early so him and the rest of the kids can get some time. Or an injury crisis.

Based Adnan

He's behind Lingard in the pecking order who'll struggle for games himself. I'd wager no.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's behind Lingard in the pecking order who'll struggle for games himself. I'd wager no.
I tend to think that Ole wanted Lingard out but was too soft. And played him in that sub role the other week as a matter of brinksmanship (one of the few cons of the window going beyond the start of the season). Also, Lingard cannot play in midfield so for the purposes of the discussion I am trying to generate, is irrelevant. I'd be surprised if Lingard will have any proper game time this season and I'd be even more surprised if he gets another International call up after these next few fixtures (though I do expect him to go the Phil Jones route of getting a shiny new contract and never play).

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
As I said in a different thread I think expectations need to be tempered in regards to this kid. Let him develop naturally at his own pace. Ole and the coaches will know this better than us.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
As I said in a different thread I think expectations need to be tempered in regards to this kid. Let him develop naturally at his own pace. Ole and the coaches will know this better than us.

We're already past that. He carries the hopes of a nation now.

I'm not saying he's the saviour - I am saying that the U23s is pointless for him and we are crying out for many of his qualities in midfield. There will be growing pains, but we can live with those when we've been living with the midfield setup we've had for years now.

In my view, it is time to give him a chance. If Donny is out of the picture for Ole, Mejbri should be 3rd after Fred and McTominay, and a starter against defensive sides.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Will his competition be Matic, McFred, and Pogba? Isn't he more likely to be an attacker if he's going to get chances from Ole at this point in his career?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Wouldn't Hannibal be playing in an advanced role? His competition isn't really the lads trying for a spot in the double pivot.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
My personal opinion is that another season in the U23s is pointless and risky due to the violent nature of opposition players towards him, either a loan or spend a season in and around the first team would look like his ideal pathway. I’d wager we’ll loan him out in January if he avoids serious injury at youth level.

Abraxas

For those that know him well, is he really an option for the deeper roles? I was under the impression most of his play is forward thinking.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wouldn't Hannibal be playing in an advanced role? His competition isn't really the lads trying for a spot in the double pivot.
I’d say so, I think he’d be excel in Pogba’s current role to be honest.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This club was always about giving best talents a chance. Him & Amad should get their chances, no matter if Lingard & Martial are staying.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's just weird when you watch him because he doesn't look like a player that struggles in the first team whenever he gets a chance.

Apart from his physicality- it's hard to point him out as a player with a lack of confidence or even experience.

As good as Elanga has been in scoring a goal, he still plays a bit like a youngster- Hannibal plays, passes and dribbles in a way that looks like he could and should make that step up.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I strongly doubt he’d get any chance this season, sadly.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The problem with him is he is more of an attack-minded midfielder and that is not what we need, we are a player who can clean up behind Pogba and Bruno and quickly move the ball forward to the attackers when we regain possession.

So he is really far down the pecking order. So no he won't get many chances this season

Siorac

Maybe as a late sub in the League Cup or early FA Cup rounds, but that's about it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Mejbri is 18. Are we accusing the coaching staff of hampering is development already? :lol:

Gandalf

I have noticed that for the U23s he is often played in an attacking position but I have also heard he has the attributes of a box to box midfielder. If he is seen as having the ability to play in the pivot then I do think he will get games, even if it is cup games and the occasional sub appearance. If he is see as being more of a number 10 then I doubt he will figure much at all and would be better off on a loan. The fact that we were apparently firm on not loaning him out does suggest there is a plan to use him in the first team this year.

Amarsdd

Mejbri is 18. Are we accusing the coaching staff of hampering is development already? :lol:
Yes, he needs to be playing in the first team right now!! or else his future is ruined!!! or he'll leave the club like Pogba!!!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Pogba sticking around and being an option now for midfield reduces his chances. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have been all that far down the pecking order.

Still, you never know where an annual injury crisis will hit.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Seems to be the arguably the hardest position on the pitch in terms of a young player breaking through. It’s a position that demands experience and a calm head, and not really one you can just throw a youngster in and see if he can handle it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Seems to be the arguably the hardest position on the pitch in terms of a young player breaking through. It’s a position that demands experience and a calm head, and not really one you can just throw a youngster in and see if he can handle it.
The thing is, we neither have that experience (in that it shows) or calmness there with players who are much older. The fact he's been introduced to senior International football already speaks volumes.

I would definitely like to see him thrown into the double pivot (unless Ole really does revert Bruno's role and goes with a 433, and it working out) in a couple of matches soon, around the 60min mark to see how he takes to it. I for one think he'll grab his chance if it's given.

Big Andy

Bloke
We need to put a plan in place, that hopefully works. I'd love it if the plan came together.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And isn't he getting sent off every other week too?

Teja

LW / #10? I don't think he'll get played at CM. Winger is possibly the least pressure for a young player breaking into Utd. You can try your flicks and tricks, give the ball away and still not impact the game negatively. As long as his workrate is good, he'll be fine.

Flytan

Not likely to get more than an irrelevant game or two since for some reason we kept players like Lingard around. Granted, he shouldn't see that many minutes, but more than Lingard.

RuudTom83

His qualities are more attacking than defensive, which is a shame for this season.

His competition are more Pogba, Bruno, Lingard etc.

Judas

Open to offers
Can he play in a midfield two? Serious question because I’ve seen next to nothing of the player.
Right now, no. One day? Maybe. Certainly not ready to be played there in the PL I don't think. Not entirely sure that's where he'll end up playing, but he's got so much bloody talent who knows.

Dinghy

Bit naive to expect us to be challenging for the title and giving games to unproven 18-year olds at the same time. He's not in that category of talents, he needs a loan.

RUCK4444

Right now, no. One day? Maybe. Certainly not ready to be played there in the PL I don't think. Not entirely sure that's where he'll end up playing, but he's got so much bloody talent who knows.
Yeah the little I've seen of him he looks dynamic, running past players getting up the pitch, doesn't strike me as a holding midfielder, more of a box-to-box.

I'd like to see more of him in the team but not sure where he fits in for Ole tbh. Doesn't seem an easy fit in the current setup.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He's very all round and can play multiple positions but unfortunately in the attacking department we are stacked and deeper Ole has no balls to play him. I am sure he would provide enough tenacity and playmaking ball holding skills to at least match Matic who should have been let go 2 seasons ago. quite a tragedy if you asked me, we have enough senior figures these lads can learn from but never seem to progress quickly enough by "risking" throwing a youngster in.

It might seem a bit strange to say this but Hannibal is even more ready than Garner, his mentality is on completely different level, and he's superskillful, and he would take his chances if given, just hope he could make a bench here and there and is given chance, I'd even sacrifice Donny, who's just an average player if he's gonna play for us deep ever.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Bit naive to expect us to be challenging for the title and giving games to unproven 18-year olds at the same time. He's not in that category of talents, he needs a loan.
He's in the same category of talent as Greenwood, the best talent in the team by far now but yeah he plays deeper and that's a bit risky for Solskjaer to even think about it.. yet he could get 5 minutes here and there to help Bruno rest as a 10, would help much more in the build up and already seems to have physique and stamina build to play senior game for some minutes..

But yeah loan would be also very sensible if we are not using him this season..

Judas

Open to offers
It might seem a bit strange to say this but Hannibal is even more ready than Garner, his mentality is on completely different level, and he's superskillful, and he would take his chances if given, just hope he could make a bench here and there and is given chance, I'd even sacrifice Donny, who's just an average player if he's gonna play for us deep ever.
Don't think its strange at all, I think you're right. I'm a lot more confident in Hannibal making it with us than Garner, who I still think will end up being a level below what we need unfortunately.

Jibbs

Do not think he will get any chance apart from League Cup.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

We're already past that. He carries the hopes of a nation now.

I'm not saying he's the saviour - I am saying that the U23s is pointless for him and we are crying out for many of his qualities in midfield. There will be growing pains, but we can live with those when we've been living with the midfield setup we've had for years now.

In my view, it is time to give him a chance. If Donny is out of the picture for Ole, Mejbri should be 3rd after Fred and McTominay, and a starter against defensive sides.
I agree. It would be exciting and it makes sense if we going to be buying these guys to develop 1 or 2 out of each crop through first team outings and use as squad players. If they don’t thrive find a loan at a lower level and review.