The Gareth SouthGOAT Appreciation Club ft. no fun at all

The-Mezzala

I wasn’t really buying into the love in pre tournament but he impressed me with his subs tonight took Dele and Sterling off who are big names but both having poor games. Plenty of England managers in the past would of stuck with them and taken Lingard off who I thought played well was just a bit rash in front of goal. Rashford and Loftus Cheek did well when they came on

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He really needs to change his clothes he looks like a history teacher dressed like that.

But if he somehow masterminds our way in to the semi finals i might finally forgive him for that penalty miss.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
He really needs to change his clothes he looks like a history teacher dressed like that.

But if he somehow masterminds our way in to the semi finals i might finally forgive him for that penalty miss.
You wash your mouth out he looked fantastic how dare you

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I like the way Southgate has got England pressing early and playing a modern attacking positional game. Long may it continue! I think England lack the quality to win the World Cup, but hopefully they’ll produce more of the stuff they showed in the first half and entertain us.

Sylar

Got rid of all oldies and failures
Most players picked on merit
Has a way of playing and picked players to suit it
And has belief in his team and made them look like a team

Fair play to him.

MikeeMike

When / If we lose , will the conspiracists call it Southgategate?

Jonno

He's won me over. He's making international management look easy.

That's the best style of football I've seen England play since the 90's.

Slick, intelligent attacking moves, it could have been 4 or 5 today.

I'm used to England getting 2 golden chances in a game and scoring 1 of them. Long may this continue, on to Panama, get the win, get some goals, build the confidence ahead of Belgium.

maniwin

Already earn my respect when he dares to drop both Rooney & Joe Hart

HorrorFan07

Gareth quietly building a monster with this England team that has meant nobody had expectations for England going into the tournament despite so much positivity. He's pulled a massive blinder has Gareth how he's managed everything.

This is 7/8 years in the making all the way from the England youth teams to the U21's etc Gareth has planned this in the background working with the youngsters in their development so knows them inside out and they know his methods inside out on how he wants to play.. Exactly the German model and how they shocked the World to win the World Cup when they last won it. not saying England will do the same, but it is on especially if the big teams ala Brazil and Argentina keep struggling we could get a tasty Portugal VS England final Ronaldo VS Captain Fantastic Kane... how's ya nerve England fans!? ha !

Fair play. England ain't done shocking yet I assume now they have their confidence/swag up.

Obviously now Gareth has to deal with the increased expectations from that performance but I'm sure he will keep the players grounded.

I don't wanna sound like I hate foreigners but it's nice to have an proud Englishman (love the passion in the picture in the OP you only get from a man who bleeds Three Lions Blood!) doing well as manager.. even if we only get to the Quarters - if we play like this and show improvement's I'm happy as in 2022 we will be ready to actually win the thing I think !

Last edited:

SpyLuke10

I like that hes trying to pick the best team, not just a way to squeeze all of the best english players into the starting line up. England genuinely look like one of the best teams at this tournament this year. Spain, Portugal and Brazil are the only teams who I think are better based on the games at this tournament so far. France and Argentina looked like they were going nowhere, Germany and Belgium looked bang average. I actually think Croatia and Mexico will do well this tournament.

I genuinely think they'll make the semis.

Last edited:

Pacificgi

Hes made a lot of good decisions and wants his team to play a certain way with his formation. Good move last night putting loftus cheek on - he could be a big difference for england with southgate putting alot of confidence in him rather than keeping with the typical big names

If big sam was still in charge he'd still be playing rooney in midfield and hart in goal

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No goals scored from open play (two goals from corners).

unable to break down defences

Slow to react with substitutes or formation changes.

4/7. Best England manager since Sven
That was no the case. Very good chances were simply missed, which would've also solved the first problem.

RedBrickWall

Definitely have more time for Southgate, it’s good to see as an England fan a clear plan of how he wants to play instead of shoe-horning names in and hoping for the best, early days but some good enjoyable football to watch at times.

simplyared

You can see the style of football he wants to play and that's attacking! Looking att the likes of Maguire, Walker and Stones all defensively technical players who were playing the ball out of defence. A joy to watch and understand there is no place for Smalling in that line-up. Full of praise for him and sorry for any criticism earlier I've may have thrown at him. Just get the finishing sorted (we can't afford to miss so many) and we could go far.

Last edited:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
How would getting beat by a comfortably better side mean Southgate has been found out?
Probably using the same logic that scraping past a significantly inferior side is getting him tons of praise.

Eleven-Eighteen

Too soon guys. England looked great, far better than most anticipated but the knee-jerkism of the Caf clearly isn't restricted to Man United performances

Neo_Mufc

If they made one like his team it would be all topping, with no solid base and an undercooked middle.

ok at first but get's very messy and falls apart at the latter stages when heat is applied.
:D I was referring to this advert that I had to endure as a child.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think he's done a really good job so far to be honest. And I thought that before the match against Tunisia and regardless of that result.

I hope we can come out of the group and give a good account of ourselves in the knockout stages, as it sets us up well hopefully for the new generation of talent coming through.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
For the first time we have a manager who has a plan for the future of the England team, not just the senior team but the younger teams as well. This is a long-term project, while the last few managers have been quick fixes who pandered to big name players.
Agreed but I think that his job is made a bit easier by England not really having many, if any, big name players these days....Kane aside. Rooney and Hart has both made it easy to discard them.

Still doing well though and the side is quite young so it definitely bodes well for the future. Feels like it’s an actual team coming together and not just a collection of big names thrown together, hoping for the best. But I guess the pressure on Southgate is also a bit less with an apparent “weaker” set of players.

Kapardin

Agreed but I think that his job is made a bit easier by England not really having many, if any, big name players these days....Kane aside.

Still doing well though and the side is quite young so it definitely bodes well for the future.
He had the balls to deal with Rooney, so having big names wouldn't matter to him, I think. Seems to brook no nonsense from the players.

Apart from his arguably unjust exclusion of Smalling, he's done well so far.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He had the balls to deal with Rooney, so having big names wouldn't matter to him, I think. Seems to brook no nonsense from the players.

Apart from his arguably unjust exclusion of Smalling, he's done well so far.
Not disputing that, he’s done really well, just saying dropping Rooney became easier as his club situation also deteriorated but it was apparent to just about everyone that his legs are gone etc. (saying that though, I’m not quite sure about the timeline when Southgate took over and how often he played Rooney at the start of his tenure).

It’s also easier said than done “having big names wouldn’t matter to him” if he essentially had 10-11 big names to deal with. Fact is, he’s had a couple, at best.

But like I said, he’s doing well. England seem to be building a team, first and foremost. Just not a collection of big names. But I also think the pressure is off them a bit, compared to previous tournaments, imo.

Minimalist

Bet he had a nice couple glasses of water (and things like that) to celebrate after last night's marvellous victory.

0161_UNITED

There was a brilliant Saturday Night Live skit in the 80’s in the States. It was Phil Hartman,I think, playing Ronald Reagan. At the time popular narrative was that Reagan was going senile, but in the skit he’d bumble around in public as a charade, but in private he was an absolute boss, plotting the downfall of the Soviets & solving world issues like a boss. Hilarious stuff.

Wish they’d do the same with Southgate!! They get back into the dressing room and he’s using Raheem’s credit card to chop up a fat line and gets all chavvy and boozed up and calls up Capello to tell him off. Psycho Stuart Pearce could cameo. Am I the only one that would enjoy that? Probably.. I digress.