The Gareth SouthGOAT Appreciation Club ft. no fun at all

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm a bit bitter he didn't take Smalling, which I think is (much) better than either Stones and McGuire. The little attacking by Tunisia gave them all short of problem (especially McGuire).

But it was a very good and positive performance against Tunisia. Good passing and energy, especially up-front. No primadona, looking for hollywood-look-at-me passes.

Giggs86

I don’t get why the odds for Belgium and England are so close in the market.
Because there's not a lot of difference in quality between the two teams.
It's like saying there's not a lot of difference in quality between United and Everton. Belgium have genuine world class players like Lukaku, De Bruyne, Hazzard, Courtois. England doesn't have any big names apart from Kane. On top of that, Martinez is a much better manager than Southgate.

Jonno

It's like saying there's not a lot of difference in quality between United and Everton. Belgium have genuine world class players like Lukaku, De Bruyne, Hazzard, Courtois. England doesn't have any big names apart from Kane. On top of that, Martinez is a much better manager than Southgate.
I think the general opinion is that Martinez is extremely out of his depth with this amount of world class players and that there isn't actually much confidence in his abilities to take Belgium to the level they need to be.

England, whilst inexperienced have various big money PL players in their squads who have CL and PL title race experience.

Young, Stones, Walker, Henderson, Dier, Sterling, Lingard, Ali, Kane along with much of their substitutes bench have extensive experience in the Champions League, PL, FA Cup and Europa. Whilst there are probably more 'star names' in Belgium right now, there is little suggestion that they can play well as a team, and there is every suggestion that England can.

Giggs86

I think the general opinion is that Martinez is extremely out of his depth with this amount of world class players and that there isn't actually much confidence in his abilities to take Belgium to the level they need to be.

England, whilst inexperienced have various big money PL players in their squads who have CL and PL title race experience.

Young, Stones, Walker, Henderson, Dier, Sterling, Lingard, Ali, Kane along with much of their substitutes bench have extensive experience in the Champions League, PL, FA Cup and Europa. Whilst there are probably more 'star names' in Belgium right now, there is little suggestion that they can play well as a team, and there is every suggestion that England can.
While I do agree that Belgium could (and probably should) have benefited from having a bigger name manager than Martinez, I still rate him higher than Southgate.

The second point you're making is arguable, because none of the names on that list stand out apart from Kane. And by 'stand out' I mean genuine play-making game-changers, like De Bruyne and Hazard. These two can create everything from nothing with a killer run/pass that can unlock a tight defense. England don't have anyone like that, and that is the major difference between the two.

poleglass red

if he leads England out next game in a sling, it will be on a par with Terry Butchers blood splattered bandage back in 89. Nothing like a wounder warrior to get the troops going. Clever thinking from Gareth.......

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

Well said boss. Fun part is seeing all the Twitter journalists unhappy with the suggestion leaking a teamsheet to the world could be harmful.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Well said boss. Fun part is seeing all the Twitter journalists unhappy with the suggestion leaking a teamsheet to the world could be harmful.
These journalists will be slating the team if/when we get knocked out yet they leak the teams for the world to see.

They should be named and shamed.

Sylar

Agreed. This reporting isnt in the 'best interest' of the public. All it does it helps the opposition and harms England. They really are dense. Glad they are all getting called out on it.

Brophs

The One and Only
So Southgate's view is "we're all in this together" i.e. the press have to play their part by not reporting something that's newsworthy. Interesting to see if it works the same way when most of those players walk directly through the mixed zone without a word after they're knocked out.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What happened to banning reporters? You used to hear of Fergie telling journalists they're not welcome or banning them for a few weeks.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Caught in two minds. The role of the press is to report information not help the team win. Where do you set the line with regards to what should and shouldn't be reported?
I can see why he's upset though.

Pacificgi

Fair play to southgate calling them out. Yet another reason showing the press being cnuts and the journos justifying their reactions. Twitters a great read - pretty much everyone against the press the ollie holt thread is gold

ti vu

Caught in two minds. The role of the press is to report information not help the team win. Where do you set the line with regards to what should and shouldn't be reported?
I can see why he's upset though.
It's a leak of tactic, team selection. So it's not like the public information that everyone should be entitled to. It's like you're saying the restaurants have to give you the precise recipe for the food because you pay to eat their food. At best they're to list the ingredient and that's it. Listing ingredients is like when just prior to kickoff where team selection is public disclosed

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

It's too early to say england can play as a team. They havent been tested with pressing team yet.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Fair play to southgate calling them out. Yet another reason showing the press being cnuts and the journos justifying their reactions. Twitters a great read - pretty much everyone against the press the ollie holt thread is gold
Have a link for the holt stuff?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Have Holland do it again, but with a false list. See if the journos leak it again.
That is, if the leaked list wasn’t a set up, in which case - carry on;)