The Gareth SouthGOAT Appreciation Club ft. no fun at all

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The response on twitter has been funny to read but is only generating more clicks and exposure for the gutter press journos who thrive on such controversy. The idiots being abusive have just allowed them to swing the story back around to "abuse of the media".

English fans would be better served organising a one day boycott. One day where people didn't buy newspapers, blocked the smug gobshites on twitter and refrained from visiting websites affiliated with the journalists in question would have a huge impact and serve as a reality check for the smug, entitled groupthink of the press.
The media arent evil. They're just greedy. They'd print shits because people love to read shits. The suns and the mail arent stupid and blind, they wrote what their audience wants to read.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It is easily the most enjoyable England to watch, despite that in terms of players quality it is nowhere as good as the teams of last decade.

But we all know that a team is much more than a collection of players, and Southgate seems to have done a good job of building a team.
Quite surprised with southgate. If he reaches semi I'd hold my hands up and probably he is just what england needs.

Aloysius's Back 3

Fair play to Southgate - think he has been brave to play something like the 352 which is a formation that has arisen in this generation of the PL. There is a reason why Manchester United fans call for it including me because our squad is best suited to 352, from wingbacks like young, to AM's that make deadly runs to braek offside whilst players like Rashford are meant to play in partnerships upfront.

Southgate needs to take the next step up and play Dier at the centre of defence & move Stones to the right hand side. The centre of the back 3 shouldnt be just a ball playing defender - it should be a defensive midfielder who drops inbetween a back 2.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I’m not English but this man looks and screams ‘yes man’

I don’t know if anyone closely followed the Republican debates for the 2016 US Presidency, but he would be Jeb Bush. Bland and milquetoast.
These were my thoughts when he was appointed which is why I was highly critical of it at first. However he has proven to be completely the opposite.

Dropped Rooney, dropped Hart (eventually), switched to a back 3, moved Walker to CB etc etc.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Fair play to Southgate - think he has been brave to play something like the 352 which is a formation that has arisen in this generation of the PL. There is a reason why Manchester United fans call for it including me because our squad is best suited to 352, from wingbacks like young, to AM's that make deadly runs to braek offside whilst players like Rashford are meant to play in partnerships upfront.

Southgate needs to take the next step up and play Dier at the centre of defence & move Stones to the right hand side. The centre of the back 3 shouldnt be just a ball playing defender - it should be a defensive midfielder who drops inbetween a back 2.
Why should it?

I mean I don't mind the idea of Dier at CB because he's played there for Spurs often enough, and it gives us the flexibility to change to formation easier if things aren't working, but this suggestion is rather absurd.

rollingstoned1

People saying that the defence might cost England as exactly the reason why i believe not taking malling was a mistake even if he can't play out of the back or carry it to save his life, he's a very good old fashioned defender who could at least have been included in the squad.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why should it?

I mean I don't mind the idea of Dier at CB because he's played there for Spurs often enough, and it gives us the flexibility to change to formation easier if things aren't working, but this suggestion is rather absurd.
Dier hasn't been particularly good when forced into playing CB for Spurs for some time - he's clearly spent most of his time the past few seasons working on playing as a CM and not at CB. If possible, I would avoid playing him in the back.

Zedme

I was wondering if Smalling's habit of player grabbing had any impact on Southgate's decision to omit him. If it did i have to say that is the best decision he could have made regarding this world cup. If Smalling had been a starter with VAR in play, England would have conceded a lot of penalties on corners. Just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's likable but he's a bit of an idiot. He seems to want England to play like a Guirdiola side but he has no idea how to do it.

He thinks playing centre backs who prat around with the ball is more important than giving them someone to pass the ball to.

It'll get found out against any decent side who can counter or press effectively, and he won't change the system or make adjustments even when it's obvious I bet. He just moves players around the same system instead. He had Rashford at wing back tonight because he wanted an extra forward on but didn't want to change the formation :lol:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I was wondering if Smalling's habit of player grabbing had any impact on Southgate's decision to omit him. If it did i have to say that is the best decision he could have made regarding this world cup. If Smalling had been a starter with VAR in play, England would have conceded a lot of penalties on corners. Just a thought
There's been what, 2 penalties given in the whole world cup for this? and at least one was for something well beyond what Smalling has ever been caught doing. England's defending has also been very poor so far. I'm not sure Smalling would make much difference but I'd definitely rather he was there than Jones.

The three centre backs we played in the first two games is a recipe for disaster as soon as a team presses or counters England. Especially with no midfield in front of them.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
While I don't think England have been very impressive so far, I've been very impressed with Southgate. If nothing else he's laid a solid foundation for future tournaments, whether he's in charge or not.

He trusts the players, he's obliterated the Us vs Them culture that existed between the media and players: The extra photo shoots, relaxing of social media, days off to sight-see unsupervised- in small groups instead of mass outings, darts tournaments with journos, early announcement of squads, clear messaging, omission of problematic players/personalities... It's all very encouraging.

He's been a breath of fresh air and I never expected him to be the guy that made it all seemed so effortless.

We're pretty much on a par with Sweden and Columbia, Switzerland could give us a game if it comes to it. But we're finally in a space that the media, team and fans seem to be on the same page. One game at a time, no arrogance or expectation. Just a healthy level of confidence in our squad, approach and an acknowledgement that we'll need to play our best and enjoy a bit of luck to get to our first Semi Final in godknows how long.

It's all been pretty refreshing.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
That was awful. I adore him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Best England side since 2002 and that's on him

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Almost cost us the game with his game management, but Rashford and Dier scored the pens. It was all part of his master plan to win the first ever penalty shootout for England in World Cup history.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Fair play to the guy, when he got the job i thought nothing would change and he would be the same as everyone else(crap and afraid) but so far he is doing a brilliant job, this is comfortably the best england side since i follow them(lets say 98).

Haddock

While I don't think England have been very impressive so far, I've been very impressed with Southgate. If nothing else he's laid a solid foundation for future tournaments, whether he's in charge or not.

He trusts the players, he's obliterated the Us vs Them culture that existed between the media and players: The extra photo shoots, relaxing of social media, days off to sight-see unsupervised- in small groups instead of mass outings, darts tournaments with journos, early announcement of squads, clear messaging, omission of problematic players/personalities... It's all very encouraging.

He's been a breath of fresh air and I never expected him to be the guy that made it all seemed so effortless.

We're pretty much on a par with Sweden and Columbia, Switzerland could give us a game if it comes to it. But we're finally in a space that the media, team and fans seem to be on the same page. One game at a time, no arrogance or expectation. Just a healthy level of confidence in our squad, approach and an acknowledgement that we'll need to play our best and enjoy a bit of luck to get to our first Semi Final in godknows how long.

It's all been pretty refreshing.
I agree with the general view but this bit it patently untrue. You can see the smugness and arrogance creeping back in with every successful string of passes. Thankfully the players don't seem to believe the online hype which has now clearly passed being ironic.

Castia

Fair play to him he’s done a good job.

I had zero confidence in him or the players but they’re proving me wrong.

Judas

Open to offers
Apart from his never ending backing of Alli, he's doing a bloody good job isn't he? Fair play to him, had no faith when he got appointed seeing as it seemed he didn't even want the job.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I know it could've gone tits up with the goal and penalties but I couldn't understand why Southgate got all the flak for giving up the Belgium game and "losing momentum."

Imagine after a draining game like tonight having to come out v Brazil in 4 days time....then if beating them with a miracle performance it's then France or Uruguay. Belgium has that to navigate now after nearly going out to Japan.

Finishing 2nd has given England great chance of reaching final. Not a certainty of course but pretty doable. It was the smart thing to do.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I loved how he is so calm even during the penalty shootout. Can FIFA also please give him an award for the best dressed manager?! Gareth Southgate you beauty, I'll make babies with you.

Utdstar01

He got away with those subs and the tactical change. Almost like he was waiting for us to concede in the 2nd half. RLC should've come on in midfield.