The Glazers and the Squad.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I suspect they've recalibrated their aims for the team now; they must have accepted that they'll lose the Adidas money this time, so they set the transfer budget accordingly. Now they're working on reducing the wage bill and settling the club down to some sweet-spot between expenditure and revenues; no Champions League money but no Champions League player purchases either outside of player sales. Selling Pogba next summer will especially help with that on both counts.

Things may change if the PL TV money reduces, or when we get relegated, but by then then they should have made themselves a bit more cash along the way.

Last edited:

Green_Red

And I get the argument of hindsight. However, Glazer's and have had enough time and have given us 0 hope they can/will bring back titles.

Please Glazer apologists, take a look at yourselves. If we all get behind and focus our energies on getting these parasites out, we will be a step closer to becoming a force again.
Hindsight? Really, most of us knew when we signed some players over the last few years that they werent at the same level of quality of the players they were replacing. We knew that as fans, but the money men didnt care because you would expect that they also knew because they refused to pay the money necessary. Now we are where we are and our managers are just scapegoats.

Whats hillarious is that people think Poch will come in and change our fortunes. The reality of it is that Spurs actually have a better team than us right now and look what he is doing there, feck all in terms of what our expectations are.

We have people like Wenger saying the United jov would be wanted by anyone, I seriously doubt it. Would you take a job in a company you new was on its way out?

There is no way out of this for United. The damage done by the transfer policy and manager policy is irreversible. If I were the Glazers Id just milk what I could and then move on, which is what they are doing.

red thru&thru

Hindsight? Really, most of us knew when we signed some players over the last few years that they werent at the same level of quality of the players they were replacing. We knew that as fans, but the money men didnt care because you would expect that they also knew because they refused to pay the money necessary. Now we are where we are and our managers are just scapegoats.

Whats hillarious is that people think Poch will come in and change our fortunes. The reality of it is that Spurs actually have a better team than us right now.

We have people like Wenger saying the United jov would be wanted by anyone, I seriously doubt it. Would you take a job in a company you new was on its way out?
Agree. I've already mentioned elsewhere, Poch alone is not going to be able to do it. Firstly, he has never managed a club without a DoF. His current biggest issue is in recruitment. Also, his most successful time in England has been whilst working with Mitchell.

hungrywing

It’s worse than that, because some actually think they provide money, which they don’t. United provide money. Galzers haven’t put a penny into the club, quite the contrary...
Kind of weird how the Caf hasn't put up a post laying this out so that everyone can understand. Such a simple thing to explain, too.

"But the Glazers have spent-" should really never be seen on the site.

Mark Pawelek

Can we really blame the Glazers. And here is my argument that you can't.

Lets have a look at some of the players that Ed has signed up and I doubt that many where signed without consulting the manager first, Fred 50 plus now he has not looked like a 5 million pound player since he has arrived but Jose wanted him and Ed paid over the top to get him, he has not worked out and now United are stuck with a 50 million pound player they can not shift.

Look Fred is one of many but just using him has an example has he does seem the worst of the lot. So how can we expect the Glazers to chuck another x million at another player in Fred's position when we can't get rid of Fred.
Yes we can blame Glazers. WtF do they think they're doing running a football club without football professionals in charge?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't blame Glazers or Woodward. I blame Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and Solskjaer. If they don't sack Solskjaer soon I WILL start to blame them. He is the worst manager of the lot. Even Moyes didn't turn us this shit.
All those failed managers on woodies watch. If ole fails then it’s down to woodie and he should be moved out of the football side. If that doesn’t happen that’s on the owners

Russky14

No need to cut this to pieces mate, thing you are fairly spot on and probably took it quite easy on each section!! Fair play
Super post. Correct in every sense. This all started 10 years back under Fergie.

Virtually every element of the club needs addressing and it will require serious money. The Neymar deal to PSG hyper inflated "elite" level transfers and pay since. A good 1.2 billion is required c700m on 1st team squad and the balance on the rest of the structure. If we want to challenge in the next 5 years then the 700m needs to be spent in the next 3 summer windows, if not then tumbleweed time.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The Glazers wont fire Ole.

It would be like slapping themselves.
Even if they get a temp manager like Big Sam, no one worth his salt would want the job full time. It would be setting himself up for failure.

I suspect they will pull the plug and sell out sooner than later.
The promotions revenue will start falling. No one would want to sponsor a bunch of losers.

red thru&thru

The Glazers wont fire Ole.

It would be like slapping themselves.
Even if they get a temp manager like Big Sam, no one worth his salt would want the job full time. It would be setting himself up for failure.

I suspect they will pull the plug and sell out sooner than later.
The promotions revenue will start falling. No one would want to sponsor a bunch of losers.
They best sell before we get relegated, as we are in a relegation battle.

red thru&thru

Just my thoughts.

I think we have been sold to the Saudis.
Thus all the cost cutting
But they did not expect us to go tits up...or looking like we are going to....

Its going to be a turbulent season whichever way you look at it.
Yea maybe. It is interesting. Maybe it is tact from the Saudis to bring us right up from the ashes (relegation battle) and back on the road to recovery.

They buy the club from the evil Americans. Put Edwin in charge as ceo. He hires Paul Mitchell. He goes out and gets his old mate Poch, who the starts the recovery.

Pinch me in a bit mate, not too soon, I want to enjoy my dream a little longer! :lol::lol:

Tel074

Can we really blame the Glazers. And here is my argument that you can't.

Lets have a look at some of the players that Ed has signed up and I doubt that many where signed without consulting the manager first, Fred 50 plus now he has not looked like a 5 million pound player since he has arrived but Jose wanted him and Ed paid over the top to get him, he has not worked out and now United are stuck with a 50 million pound player they can not shift.

Look Fred is one of many but just using him has an example has he does seem the worst of the lot. So how can we expect the Glazers to chuck another x million at another player in Fred's position when we can't get rid of Fred.

Just STFU . We cant blame the Glazers ? We haven't had one proper transfer window since they came in . They have failed to appoint a DOF . They are bleeding the club dry . They are the worst owners we could possibly have !!! A long shite winter is coming and.from someone who goes to games it isn't Ole the match going fans are blaming it's them fecking parasites ruining our great club ..

Protests will get louder and bigger game by game because people have had enough and I've had enough of people like yourself trying to say it's ok..

Ed is doing the job his bosses give him to do it's them not Ed who has decided he will be in charge of the football side of United . I suppose it's Eds fault the stadium is is in the state it's in currently ? They give zeros f.uks about United they care about money ...

Eric's Seagull

We can blame the Glazers. We can blame them for letting Woodward have so much control at the club. We can also blame them for not bringing in a DoF, to look after the football side of things and which would have left Woodward to concentrate on the commercial side.

red thru&thru

Just STFU . We cant blame the Glazers ? We haven't had one proper transfer window since they came in . They have failed to appoint a DOF . They are bleeding the club dry . They are the worst owners we could possibly have !!! A long shite winter is coming and.from someone who goes to games it isn't Ole the match going fans are blaming it's them fecking parasites ruining our great club ..

Protests will get louder and bigger game by game because people have had enough and I've had enough of people like yourself trying to say it's ok..

Ed is doing the job his bosses give him to do it's them not Ed who has decided he will be in charge of the football side of United . I suppose it's Eds fault the stadium is is in the state it's in currently ? They give zeros f.uks about United they care about money ...
Good on you mate. About time some people like you are putting your points across. I agree with you that Ed has a remit and I have questioned why has he not gone and got the help he needs? Is it that he is power hungry? Or is it that the owners have capped him? Either way, like our managers are in the firing line because of results, Ed has also failed with results of the club and need to be made accountable.

Not one Glazer apologist has come up with a credible argument that they and their board are not to blame for this mess. Ed takes over the champions, in 7 years spends £1bn and we sit in 12th! FAIL.

Eric's Seagull

Good on you mate. About time some people like you are putting your points across. I agree with you that Ed has a remit and I have questioned why has he not gone and got the help he needs? Is it that he is power hungry? Or is it that the owners have capped him? Either way, like our managers are in the firing line because of results, Ed has also failed with results of the club and need to be made accountable.

Not one Glazer apologist has come up with a credible argument that they and their board are not to blame for this mess. Ed takes over the champions, in 7 years spends £1bn and we sit in 12th! FAIL.
I think it is Woodward being power hungry. I believe that the Glazer's have given him too much power and it has gone to his head. I think that he refuses to believe that he doesn't have as vast football knowledge that he he thinks. I think he he has so much self belief that he doesn't need a DoF to help him.

Totally agree with the part in bold but I don't think Woodward will ever be held accountable for his mistakes but I fear that he won't admit to any wrongdoing and he we will do the easy thing and blame it on the manager sack start and then this sh!tty cycle we are in will start all over again.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

It's all the Glazers fault one way or another.

They constantly leech money from the club in loans secured to the club and through dividend payments, there is technically nothing wrong with this as they are basically the clubs 'landlords', it's a good business model no doubt but leeches none the less - not investers.

The problem is that in order to get back to the top, it's going to take at least £500m+ to sort this team out. On top of that they HAVE to hire the right people because there is no quarantee after the £500m+ is spent success will follow.

It has become clear they have ZERO intention of spending the money required to get United competing when the money in their eyes is better off in their pockets.

Look at the summer, what was the net spend again? £50-60m?

United are going nowhere under this ownership regardless of who the manager is. The only hope is that most of these young players come good but the liklihood is low because they have a supporting cast of poor senior players.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Yea maybe. It is interesting. Maybe it is tact from the Saudis to bring us right up from the ashes (relegation battle) and back on the road to recovery.

They buy the club from the evil Americans. Put Edwin in charge as ceo. He hires Paul Mitchell. He goes out and gets his old mate Poch, who the starts the recovery.

Pinch me in a bit mate, not too soon, I want to enjoy my dream a little longer! :lol::lol:
Nice...this is like reading a Penthouse forum article...don't stop.

red4ever 79

We can blame the Glazers. We can blame them for letting Woodward have so much control at the club. We can also blame them for not bringing in a DoF, to look after the football side of things and which would have left Woodward to concentrate on the commercial side.
I agree with this part. They have mis-managed the club in a lot of ways. However you cannot accuse them of not spending money either. Woodward is a major problem for me at the club

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Ed Woodward still has responsibilities on the football side of things, despite showing he is absolutely inept at it. So yes, you can blame the Glazers.

I always maintain, if anyone in any line of work was as bad at half of their job as Ed is, then they would be let go.

Woodzy

100% you can blame the Glazers, and here is the why.

2013;
Out: Scholes, Fabio Zaha and Anderson.
In: Mata and Fellaini.​
2014;
Out: Kagawa, Evra, Fletcher, Vidic, Ferdinand and Giggs (incl. others)
In: Di Maria, Shaw, Herrera, Rojo, Blind and Falcao.​
2015:
Out: Di Maria, Chicharito, Evans, van Persie, Nani, Rafael and Cleverley.
In: Martial, Schneiderlin, Depay, Darmian and Schweinsteiger.
2016:
Out: Schneiderlin, Depay, Schweinsteiger.
In:
Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Bailley and Zlatan.
2017:
Out: Rooney, Zlatan, Mkhitarya.
In: Lakaku, Matic, Lindleof and Sanchez​
2018:
Out: Blind, Fellaini.
In: Fred, Dalot and Grant​
2019:
Out: Lakaku, Smalling, Darmian, Valencia, Herrera and Sanchez.
In: Maguire, Wan-Bissaka and James​

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that over the last 6 years we have had a serious depletion of both quality and experience from our team that has never been sufficiently replaced.

The only constant that we've had over those years: Glazers as owners and Ed Woodward as CEO.

Where we are right now is as a result of the transfer policy that the club, the Glazers, have overseen. They have allowed managers like Moyes and LvG to gut our squads without replacing the quality.

We got a manager in, Mourinho, who identified the gaps in quality and experience, but he wasn't backed. He was asked to win with what he had.

Consider that for a second. We lost Vidic, Evra, Giggs, Scholes, Fletcher, van Persie, Nani, Rafael and replaced them with Mata, Fellaini, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Depay, Blind.

Its no surprise that we are where we are.

Now we are trying to blood kids into the team because they refuse to invest where it is needed. But hey, that's ok, the fans will go after the manager because most of them are like seagulls following trawlers.
No wonder we are in the state we are. New signings that lasted 1 1/2 seasons max.

imamuppet

Here is what I blame them for. Not the squad. At least not directly.

I blame them for not having a coherent vision on how to take the club forward and not bothering to hire people who can develop the team according to that vision and build a team ready to challenge for trophies and provide continuity.

Look at City's and Liverpool's owners, they came in from day one with a clear vision on how to build a successful team and develop their clubs, it took a while for both of them to really get it going, but they got the men behind the team in place and made sure the team was developed according to their vision.

The Glazers don't have that. They took over a well oiled machine that was held together by SAF. He retired and now the machine is without direction or even a map on how to get back on course. The people in charge of the club and the coaching team don't pull in the same direction, no one is really clear what to do once the next manager is gone and everything starts again.

I blame them for being clueless about how to build a successful club and putting their stooges in charge of the club instead of people who have an actual fecking clue what they are doing.
Good post, fully agree

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Well said man

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Which responsible board would have allowed us to start the season without replacing a midfielder and a striker (that is bare minimum I am talking about).

We now have a well past it in Matic and want away Pogba and a very good squad player McT who is always a starter.

Playing Rashford who is clearly not an out and out striker.

With injuries depleting us we are where we are.

Yesterday we simply conceded midfield to Newcastle FFS.

Sure Ole could have taken risks like playing Tuanzebe in midfield. But I did not see Jones on the bench so I suppose he needed to be there for Lindeloff.

IronTulip

Blame has to go all the way to the top. They own the club and have the final say in EVERYTHING. Even if they weren't football people they can see something is majorly broken and take steps to rectify by consulting "Football people".

Ever since the Glazer's took over our player recruitment has been way more miss then hit. It makes you wonder if they are actually involved in player transfers!

Ed and his sidekick (Judge?) who is involved in contracts should be embarrassed. Total amateurs. Waiting for player contracts to run down, extending contracts for players that should be let go, and handing out obscene paychecks for average players. Absolutely no common sense or long term planning. Make Ridsdale look like a Champ.

Ed gets IMO unwarranted praise for the commercial side, but as a percentage increase it has lagged behind rivals.

We apparently employ 50+ scouts and are unable to find any hidden gems. Or maybe they do, and their reports go unheeded. Either way we are wasting resources again.

We employ so many coaches, and yet don't look like a team that is drilled in the basics.

I had my doubts about Ole. I saw a Molde training video, where he was repeating "shoot" and nothing else. I thought at the time it was amateur level however he won me over after his initial run up to PSG. Since then it's been awful. He must be out of time already if not very soon.

There was a point in the Newcastle game, 2nd half, where we broke and then our midfield took so long going sideways, allowing them to get all 11 players behind the ball. I have seen these situations happen way too often. We must be the only "counter attacking" team that employs this tactic.

The culture of the club at every level has become Me, Me, Me. With no regards to accountability or responsibility. Everyone just want's their ever increasing share of the pie. No leaders at any level. Absolutely sickening.

/rant

Reactions: Sultan

Suedesi

Blame has to go all the way to the top. They own the club and have the final say in EVERYTHING. Even if they weren't football people they can see something is majorly broken and take steps to rectify by consulting "Football people".

Ever since the Glazer's took over our player recruitment has been way more miss then hit. It makes you wonder if they are actually involved in player transfers!

Ed and his sidekick (Judge?) who is involved in contracts should be embarrassed. Total amateurs. Waiting for player contracts to run down, extending contracts for players that should be let go, and handing out obscene paychecks for average players. Absolutely no common sense or long term planning. Make Ridsdale look like a Champ.

Ed gets IMO unwarranted praise for the commercial side, but as a percentage increase it has lagged behind rivals.

We apparently employ 50+ scouts and are unable to find any hidden gems. Or maybe they do, and their reports go unheeded. Either way we are wasting resources again.

We employ so many coaches, and yet don't look like a team that is drilled in the basics.

I had my doubts about Ole. I saw a Molde training video, where he was repeating "shoot" and nothing else. I thought at the time it was amateur level however he won me over after his initial run up to PSG. Since then it's been awful. He must be out of time already if not very soon.

There was a point in the Newcastle game, 2nd half, where we broke and then our midfield took so long going sideways, allowing them to get all 11 players behind the ball. I have seen these situations happen way too often. We must be the only "counter attacking" team that employs this tactic.

The culture of the club at every level has become Me, Me, Me. With no regards to accountability or responsibility. Everyone just want's their ever increasing share of the pie. No leaders at any level. Absolutely sickening.

/rant
I don't fecking know what they do all day, since the only requirement for Ed Woodward to buy a player is to think that Pep wants him.

Fosu-Mens

I don't fecking know what they do all day, since the only requirement for Ed Woodward to buy a player is to think that Pep wants him.
They work mainly to identify potential youth/future first team players and building relations with their families, clubs and agents. We would only need 5 scouts, some computers and access to some match recording and costly statistical websites or programs to create a list of potential targets for our first team due to the availability of data and footage. Only in the final stages of decisionmaking among a list of 3-5 players for a certain position would you need to scout the player up close and in person.

red thru&thru

Apparently, 3 of our scouts turned up for the same game last year...they had no idea each other were turning up. And who overlooked the changes to the scouting network? No, no footballing person but Ed the great himself.

red4ever 79

Which responsible board would have allowed us to start the season without replacing a midfielder and a striker (that is bare minimum I am talking about).

We now have a well past it in Matic and want away Pogba and a very good squad player McT who is always a starter.

Playing Rashford who is clearly not an out and out striker.

With injuries depleting us we are where we are.

Yesterday we simply conceded midfield to Newcastle FFS.

Sure Ole could have taken risks like playing Tuanzebe in midfield. But I did not see Jones on the bench so I suppose he needed to be there for Lindeloff.
Jones is on the physio bench. How times change huh

Tel074

You are right it's a epic fail from the owners . I honestly think the owners have stalled on employing a DOF . Ed is an intelligent man I can't see how he would be so dumb to allow a ego trip to get in the way with business. Surely he would be happy to have a football man beside him running the club

red thru&thru

You are right it's a epic fail from the owners . I honestly think the owners have stalled on employing a DOF . Ed is an intelligent man I can't see how he would be so dumb to allow a ego trip to get in the way with business. Surely he would be happy to have a football man beside him running the club
I keep asking the same question mate?! How on earth has Ed allowed it to come to this point? He obviously an intelligent guy but is it him or is it the Glazer's? I'm baffled

BlueHaze

Just my thoughts.

I think we have been sold to the Saudis.
Thus all the cost cutting
But they did not expect us to go tits up...or looking like we are going to....

Its going to be a turbulent season whichever way you look at it.
You seriously don't believe that do you?

Tel074

I keep asking the same question mate?! How on earth has Ed allowed it to come to this point? He obviously an intelligent guy but is it him or is it the Glazer's? I'm baffled
He works for the Glazers and they do not give a flying f.uck if we win or if we don't . They are money generated just look at how they ran their NFL team

youmeletsfly

You can only blame them for hiring the wrong people like ED and a few clueless managers. But you can't blame them for not giving us the funds to invest.

They're American owners, what did you expect, them to fecking know shit about football?

I think most of us fans are blinded by SAF's success and his overall presence. The structure was lacking also during SAF's era, the scouting department was still shit back then, the academy is shit for 25 years.

SAF had too much power, power that was lost when he left. Such a man should've been replaced by 2-3 absolutely top class guys, but again, what the feck would some American owners know about that?

The fact we're so behind is not the Glazer's fault entirely. 6-8 years before Saf retired we should've started to build the club up:revamp the academy, expand the scouting structure, build a new stadium etc. I'm not saying that they're not at fault, but let's think about it, how many huge business owners really set the course of a company?
Owners are not specialists in certain departments. Ed and the fecking Judge guy who seem to take all the decisions around here are.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We cannot be surprised by recent results. The payoff/mistakes of the past decade have bought us to the present situation.