The gloves are off - Hendo v Davey DG

padzilla

Hipster
I was wondering if Ole will make a bold statement and start Henderson against Palace on Saturday? It might give the team some fresh impetus with a new man between the posts and might also serve to make DDG more determined than ever to focus and work his way back into the first team? He has shown before, in his first season when he was dropped for Lindegaard, that he responds will to adversity. Or will Ole stick with the devil he knows?

EwanI Ted

I'd be surprised if he dropped Henderson into the first team like that to be honest. He had the chance to send a statement about De Gea last season after the FA Cup game, but stuck with him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
De Gea had a couple of very good games for Spain recently, so no chance. He’ll be the starter as the season starts, Henderson will begin this race with a disadvantage.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Also we literally have a cup game our next game after Palace, so Hendo will just play then.

padzilla

Hipster
Good points, I am curious to see if DDG's career follows the path of the likes of our own Edwin, Buffon, Cech and Seaman in they arguably became better keepers in their mid 30s than when they were younger. Then again one criticism I have of DDG is he doesn't seem like a commanding presence barking orders and keeping the defence on its toes.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Good points, I am curious to see if DDG's career follows the path of the likes of our own Edwin, Buffon, Cech and Seaman in they arguably became better keepers in their mid 30s than when they were younger. Then again one criticism I have of DDG is he doesn't seem like a commanding presence barking orders and keeping the defence on its toes.
It's a bit of a weird group. Edwin's career trajectory is quite unique and he is probably the only one of those who actually became better after he turned 30 (or, at least, had played on a comparable level to his mid 90's performances). Buffon's peak was in mid 00's, Cech's unquestionably best form came before the head injury etc.

Adamsk7

I expect DDG to start in 90% of league games and most of the CL games. I expect Henderson to start in the cups and get a few PL and CL games here and there. There’s plenty of games to give them a good amount each and we’ll get a good feel for if Henderson is up for playing for a team at the top level where he’s got less to do but has to be at the top of his game when he’s called on.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Not sure I agree on that set being better, but it does touch on the one thing I always wonder about De Gea. You typically have two extremes with great keepers: T1) tall, large frame, great positioning, gets better with age (experience = anticipation/reading/positioning/commanding), T2) smaller, nippy, rely to a great extent on their athleticism so tend to go to shit once they hit ~30 (Goram, Barthez, Casillas, Bravo*).

Of course in many cases there's a mix, e.g. Peter Schmeichel, who could still pull off incredible flying saves well into his 30s (these caught the eye, sure, but it was his T1 traits that made him so dependable). My concern with De Gea is whether he is a bad mix, not sure the getting better with age bit in brackets applies (at least not his strongest suit) and he relies a lot on his reflexes, which are bound to suffer. He should be progressing and getting better at those things that are not affected by age but, instead, he persists on relying on strengths which don't age well.

*Wouldn't exactly call him great, but helps see the pattern of form falling off a cliff

Last edited:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I'd be surprised if he dropped Henderson into the first team like that to be honest. He had the chance to send a statement about De Gea last season after the FA Cup game, but stuck with him.
It’s a bit different. It’s not like Henderson was on hand as an option for us at that point after the FA Cup game.

What we have right now is direct competition.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
De Gea will start and so should he, it's up to Henderson to displace him and up to De Gea to keep his place.

EwanI Ted

It’s a bit different. It’s not like Henderson was on hand as an option for us at that point after the FA Cup game.

What we have right now is direct competition.
True, but Ole could easily have justified dropping him for the Europa, since Romero had usually played in that. It was more of a statement to stick with DDG than drop him for that competition.

I personally really rate Henderson and think De Gea has been mediocre for two seasons, but just in terms of guessing what Ole will do, I think he'll avoid the controversy.

padzilla

Hipster
Yeah it is the easier option to keep picking the club's highest paid player in this scenario, I would have thought another season on loan for Henderson would have made more sense with Romero as number two as a lack of game time for Henderson could impact his development. I suppose time will tell.

Fosu-Mens

Should have sold DDG last summer, but given that we did not and have him a stupid contract he will be difficult to sell.
And regardless of Dave's form last season, he is still a good goalkeeper. And Henderson is unlikely to replace him unless injuries.
Should have sold/loaned Henderson out for another season and used the money for Sancho or someone else.

Luke1995

I have a funny feeling that the Henderson challenge will bring back the old De Gea and he'll have a fantastic season

Nick7

De Gea will start the season no doubt. Depending on his performances in the league and Henderson's in the cups, Henderson could get the #1 spot.

SAFMUTD

Wont happen, Ole's main strenght is to keep the armony within the squad. DDG holds a very specific weight in the team, I dont think Ole has the balls to drop him. He didnt do it last season after all those ridiculous errors of De Gea so there's no indication he'll do it know.

Revan

Assumptionman
Hendo won’t start (except in domestic cups) until De Gea makes another couple of feck ups. I have a feeling that De Gea won’t make feck ups though, and Hendo is gonna be disappointed for coming back here. Even a De Gea at 80% of his best is far superior to Hendo.

Jericho

I find it hard to imagine De Gea being dropped. But if Ole doesn't make Henderson no.1 this year then he should have just sent him out on loan again. He doesn't need a season on the bench.

Henderson will play the league cup and FA cup. Nothing more unless De Gea has a disaster.

I imagine a lot of people on here will be rowing back on their statements about De Gea being done and Henderson being ready for the big time.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Can people stop calling him Hendo please ? It reminds me too much of the Scouse twats midfield tosspot.

Deano instead maybe ?

Green_Red

I wouldn't be surprised if Henderson gets most of his chances in the cup competitions and possibly a game here and there in the Prem to rest De Gea for CL. Can't see him getting more game time than Romero got for the first while.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't think it will matter much who's in goal if neither of them gets to wear gloves.

USREDEVIL

I don't think it will matter much who's in goal if neither of them gets to wear gloves.
:lol:
Seriously though I get that keepers need confidence but in hockey it's fairly common to change up the keeper when the main guy is looking shakey. A bit of rotation even in the league i imagine can work.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Dave is our no1. In PL and CL he must play every game. For now. If his form drops (or to say it better continue from last season) then Henderson will get a chance.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Looking forward to seeing Henderson play for us. Could you be arsed fecking up in the first game after all this? Some pressure.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
:lol:
Seriously though I get that keepers need confidence but in hockey it's fairly common to change up the keeper when the main guy is looking shakey. A bit of rotation even in the league i imagine can work.
Competition is a good thing I agree.

Tiber

It is De Gea's job to lose.

The ideal scenario is competition brings him back to his best, few keepers have ever been his equal when at his best.

Last edited:

Snuffkin

It is De Gea's job to lose.
One mistake and hes lost it now hendo is around. I don't believe in competition on a squad as a rule but if a new keeper gives us a lift in an otherwise barren transfer window then so be it.

Rolaholic

Zero doubt in mind that Hendo will finish the season as our number 1

At this rate it might be by New Years...