The great Brazilian World Cup drought | Official Brazil Thread

Skills

Snitch
20 years since they last won a world cup. Can they end the great drought this time around?

Guapa

Wow 20 years since South Korea.Ronaldo,Riveldo,Ronaldinho,Cafu et el.Good tournament,good memories,redemption for Ronaldo,good times.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That Neymar touch was beautiful

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Casemiro on an island in midfield, awful fullbacks and Thiago Silva in a back 4. And Richarlison instead of Gabriel Jesus... nah. Not for me. They'll be comfortable in the group but will struggle past that

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Casemiro on an island in midfield, awful fullbacks and Thiago Silva in a back 4. And Richarlison instead of Gabriel Jesus... nah. Not for me. They'll be comfortable in the group but will struggle past that
For fecks sake, why do we continue to do this thing where we release the team sheet days before the game?

bosnian_red

Do the other national teams do it now too? We've been doing it for a while, at least since 2014. Don't get it either...
I've seen England, france and Netherlands all do it so far (without even looking for it). National teams are weird

Fenomeno9

Richarlison was the seconding leading scorer for Brazil in qualifying and has 7 goals in his last 6 games for us.

Rockets Redglare

Excuse me, where is the Pastor?

bosnian_red

Richarlison was the seconding leading scorer for Brazil in qualifying and has 7 goals in his last 6 games for us.
I expected it but at the same time... Gabriel Jesus just seems like he would suit the side much better and is a much more talented player. Maybe a case of Richarlison never gave a reason to be dropped.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Jesus has been rather average the last month or 2 didn’t help himself

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That defense looks like it'll have to do some heavy lifting. Let's hope they don't fall apart in the knockouts.

Fenomeno9

Jesus has been rather average the last month or 2 didn’t help himself
It also does not help that he has been kinda average for a while for the NT.

Richarlison 17 goals in 38 caps.
Gabriel Jesus 19 goals in 59 caps.

Anyway Tite is taking a risk with such an attacking lineup. This isn’t how we played during the qualifiers.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Hmm, that's gonna be their line-up? Unbalanced. 50 year old T. Silva. Raphinha who has been rather underwhelming for Barca.

I would have expected something like this:
Alisson
Danilo - Marquinhos - Militao - Alex Sandro
Casemiro - Fabinho
Antony - Neymar - Vinicius
Jesus

Neymar roaming free as a #10, spraying passes to Vinicius, Antony and Jesus.

bosnian_red

Hmm, that's gonna be their line-up? Unbalanced. 50 year old T. Silva. Raphinha who has been rather underwhelming for Barca.

Alisson
Casemiro - Fabinho
Jesus

The main difference for them normally is Fred in midfield next to Casemiro. But yeah. They could put out a very good lineup (ignoring the full backs), but they just don't. I'd put Guimaraes next to Casemiro as well, raphinha vs Antony is 50/50, raphinha more experienced so it's fair.

But Tite is a pretty negative coach in general. So I feel like it's "we have a defensive system but we'll toss a bunch of attackers out there and hopefully it balances".

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Full backs aren't amazing but they're steady enough and indeed Danilo has played for all of Real Madrid, Man. City and Juventus albeit without any memorable performances.

Problem for Brazil is they always struggle in a key game without suspended players, lost Casemiro for Belgium last time and Fernandinho came in and had his usual shocker. Fabinho has been below par for Liverpool so that would be a concern. Also surprised they're keeping faith with Paqueta as would say Bruno Guimaraes would be a good fit for that structure.

Don't see Richarlison and Paqueta starting by end of tournament given the ridiculous strength in depth they have in the final third.

Justifiably favourites.

Fenomeno9

But Tite is a pretty negative coach in general. So I feel like it's "we have a defensive system but we'll toss a bunch of attackers out there and hopefully it balances".
Tite tactic’s in his 8 year cycle has been anything but negative in comparison to our past managers.
If anything, he is the most modern coach we have had. He implements a high pressing, possession style of play. If he was negative, he would not have played this attacking formation vs Serbia or even Coutinho is midfield like he did last World Cup.

The criticism Tite deserve is sometimes he needs to be quicker with his adjustments.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Tite tactic’s in his 8 year cycle has been anything but negative in comparison to our past managers.
If anything, he is the most modern coach we have had. He implements a high pressing, possession style of play. If he was negative, he would not have played this attacking formation vs Serbia or even Coutinho is midfield like he did last World Cup.

The criticism Tite deserve is sometimes he needs to be quicker with his adjustments.
You guys still going for a foreign manager after this World cup?

Fenomeno9

You guys still going for a foreign manager after this World cup?
I really doubt it. Tite wanted Xavi to replace him so that may be a sign that things may change but Brazilian are too damn prideful. Only manager I can see the CBF budging for is Pep.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I really doubt it. Tite wanted Xavi to replace him so that may be a sign that things may change but Brazilian are too damn prideful. Only manager I can see the CBF budging for is Pep.
Thought Jorge Jesus was going to get it?

Fenomeno9

Thought Jorge Jesus was going to get it?
The favorites not too long ago were Abel Ferreira (Palmeiras) I guess he would be considered foreign since he is from Portugal and Dorival (Flamengo).

I think Dorival will get it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Their defense is shit. Will be exploited by European big teams. Pretty much would favor any top European side to punish them.

Revan

Assumptionman

Alisson
Casemiro - Fabinho
Jesus

This is much better (Raphinha vs Antony could go either way), and I think it is their obvious best XI. Wing backs are still meh, but every team has some weaknesses.

That other formation (for Thursday) is full of holes. Shit midfield, shit defense, meh No. 9.

By the time they get to the knockouts a few of those should have played themselves out of the team.

Pintu

20 years is 4 world cups. Hardly a massive drought
Specially when they’ve been winning other silverware in the meantime… 3 Copa America and 3 Confederation Cups… But they went 6 years without any trophy between their 2013 Confederation Cup win over Spain and their Copa win of 2019… (not counting the Olympic gold medals).

But since they started wining WC, they’d only went once on 20 year drought. (24 years between their 70 and 94 wins).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
2006 they still had a very good line up on paper but it was completely unbalanced in final third. Didn't they play all of Kaka, Ronaldinho, Adriano and Ronaldo so similar to Real Madrid in those times. Still lost a tight QF to France.

2010 were going along o.k before Netherlands did a nice job. Not sure they'd have beaten Spain though.

2014 poor squad selection and really home advantage got them at least one round further than they'd have probably got through elsewhere.

2018- Were doing fine but small margins against Belgium side at all time peak.

Brazil just morphed into a quarter final team and no more. Big failure if that's all they produced at this World cup but I expect to see them in the final.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The main difference for them normally is Fred in midfield next to Casemiro. But yeah. They could put out a very good lineup (ignoring the full backs), but they just don't. I'd put Guimaraes next to Casemiro as well, raphinha vs Antony is 50/50, raphinha more experienced so it's fair.

Yeah Antony and Guimares would be much better shouts, the former for his ball retention and work rate and the latter is just a better overall compliment to Case.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
By the time they get to the knockouts a few of those should have played themselves out of the team.
No chance, Tite is too stubborn for that. He kept Fagner and Gabriel Jesus in the starting lineup until the bitter end in 2018, even as they continued to stink up the place.

Fenomeno9

No chance, Tite is too stubborn for that. He kept Fagner and Gabriel Jesus in the starting lineup until the bitter end in 2018, even as they continued to stink up the place.
He did state he regretted sticking with Gabriel Jesus for so long. I think or hope he might adjust quicker this time. In matter of fact, he has no excuses to adjust quicker because he has a deeper bench and a fully fit squad unlike 2018.

saivet

Strong favorites before the tournament and looking at the draw (assuming them and Portugal top their groups) I would be very surprised if they don't make it to the final as I don't see Argentina getting the better of them again. I felt like Spain could have been a banana skin for them in the QF but with them 2nd, it's hard to see where they slip up before the SFs at the very least, even without Neymar.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Strong favorites before the tournament and looking at the draw (assuming them and Portugal top their groups) I would be very surprised if they don't make it to the final as I don't see Argentina getting the better of them again. I felt like Spain could have been a banana skin for them in the QF but with them 2nd, it's hard to see where they slip up before the SFs at the very least, even without Neymar.

On paper I'd agree with Brazil, but the thing is local rivalries can make you put in god like performances.

Look at Chile against Argentina in Copa finals, they had no right to win those games but they did.

Argentina could raise a level and then drop again, its happened throughout football history and in this tournament its happened too.

It depends what Brazil shows up and what Argentina shows up.

I think Brazil are the absolute favourites to win the entire tournament though.

Irwin99

Yeah, for a team of their quality that's a very nice route to the final now that Spain has transferred over.

Would be hilarious if they went over to the other side as well though :lol:

Pintu

2006 they still had a very good line up on paper but it was completely unbalanced in final third. Didn't they play all of Kaka, Ronaldinho, Adriano and Ronaldo so similar to Real Madrid in those times. Still lost a tight QF to France.

2010 were going along o.k before Netherlands did a nice job. Not sure they'd have beaten Spain though.

2014 poor squad selection and really home advantage got them at least one round further than they'd have probably got through elsewhere.

2018- Were doing fine but small margins against Belgium side at all time peak.

Brazil just morphed into a quarter final team and no more. Big failure if that's all they produced at this World cup but I expect to see them in the final.
An alternative view could be: If they had Neymar and T Silva against Germany they might have survived that game and beaten Argentina in the final.

On a second thought, David Luiz would still have played... Never mind.