The Great Conspiracy

UpWithRivers

Year in year out we have the same transfer rigmarole. We are linked to more players than any other club. We are talked about more than any other club. There is a whole media industry built around transfer rumors and Utd are the apex of that industry. Even the likes of Flex are on Sky sports ranting and raving about our ineptitude and bases all his claims on nothing but rumours and tweets. Yes there are credible sources that have more inside knowledge. But even they cant be that close to the deal. They arnt exactly on the phone to Ole and Woodward day in day out are they. Maybe the agents or some footballers might let out a bit of info now and again but who in the club actually know whats going on except about 5 of the top people if that. I bet even the Glazers just have a high level view and get updated on progress once a week. I hardly think they have time to be talking to Woodward on the progress every hour. He will just call them if there is anything significant they need to know. So why are we so inept at transfers? We hired a head of media didnt we? Phil Lynch or someone.

For example why have we been negotiating with Sancho for 6 months Then last week of transfers we say ok we are going to put a bid in any time now. Then put in a bid we know will be rejected? This Sancho deal is all nonsense. And its one of a long line of transfers just like this. So are the United board so absolutely completely inept? Is that possible that they are that stupid? I doubt it.

So here is the conspiracy. There has to be more to it then just stupidity. United not only let the rumour mill churn but encourage it. There is no other reason. So why would they do that?
1.) People talking about United even negatively is good. No news is bad news. This brings so much attention to United that even when we are sht on the pitch we are the most talked about club.
2.) The Sancho deal is done and has been done for months. It makes no sense to think we have negotiated for 6 months, waited until the last week to put a low ball bid in that we knew would be rejected. Why? I think its been signed and sealed for ages but leaving it to the last minute gives Dortmund the excuse that they are fighting to keep him and playing hard. It gives them an excuse not to spend the money (have no time sorry fans). It also puts us in a stronger position. Say we are selling players. Oh United are desperate they just spent 100 mill. They will take anything. Offer 5 mill for Lingard. Yes they do this anyway but it would be worse if they knew we just spunked 100 mill. Also the transfer market would inflate. Not just for us but for everyone. If Sancho is worth 100 mill then pay 70 for player X.
3) They are in it with the media. The media need United and United need the media. Everyone wins to keep the dance alive.
4) We can sort out players salaries. At the moment we are negotiating with Pogba. Plus any new signings. If they hear that Sancho got 300k then they will boost what they are asking for. Yes again they will do this because of De Gea etc but it will be worse that a new boy just came in and got 300k.

I can go on. But in essence it just doesnt make sense that United are complete idiots in the transfer market for 6 years plus. They must be doing it on purpose. Thoughts?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Year in year out we have the same transfer rigmarole. We are linked to more players than any other club. We are talked about more than any other club. There is a whole media industry built around transfer rumors and Utd are the apex of that industry. Even the likes of Flex are on Sky sports ranting and raving about our ineptitude and bases all his claims on nothing but rumours and tweets. Yes there are credible sources that have more inside knowledge. But even they cant be that close to the deal. They arnt exactly on the phone to Ole and Woodward day in day out are they. Maybe the agents or some footballers might let out a bit of info now and again but who in the club actually know whats going on except about 5 of the top people if that. I bet even the Glazers just have a high level view and get updated on progress once a week. I hardly think they have time to be talking to Woodward on the progress every hour. He will just call them if there is anything significant they need to know. So why are we so inept at transfers? We hired a head of media didnt we? Phil Lynch or someone.

For example why have we been negotiating with Sancho for 6 months Then last week of transfers we say ok we are going to put a bid in any time now. Then put in a bid we know will be rejected? This Sancho deal is all nonsense. And its one of a long line of transfers just like this. So are the United board so absolutely completely inept? Is that possible that they are that stupid? I doubt it.

So here is the conspiracy. There has to be more to it then just stupidity. United not only let the rumour mill churn but encourage it. There is no other reason. So why would they do that?
1.) People talking about United even negatively is good. No news is bad news. This brings so much attention to United that even when we are sht on the pitch we are the most talked about club.
2.) The Sancho deal is done and has been done for months. It makes no sense to think we have negotiated for 6 months, waited until the last week to put a low ball bid in that we knew would be rejected. Why? I think its been signed and sealed for ages but leaving it to the last minute gives Dortmund the excuse that they are fighting to keep him and playing hard. It gives them an excuse not to spend the money (have no time sorry fans). It also puts us in a stronger position. Say we are selling players. Oh United are desperate they just spent 100 mill. They will take anything. Offer 5 mill for Lingard. Yes they do this anyway but it would be worse if they knew we just spunked 100 mill. Also the transfer market would inflate. Not just for us but for everyone. If Sancho is worth 100 mill then pay 70 for player X.
3) They are in it with the media. The media need United and United need the media. Everyone wins to keep the dance alive.
4) We can sort out players salaries. At the moment we are negotiating with Pogba. Plus any new signings. If they hear that Sancho got 300k then they will boost what they are asking for. Yes again they will do this because of De Gea etc but it will be worse that a new boy just came in and got 300k.

I can go on. But in essence it just doesnt make sense that United are complete idiots in the transfer market for 6 years plus. They must be doing it on purpose. Thoughts?
It's certainly a theory.

Fosu-Mens

Don't know about conspiracy, but I think they value mediaclicks/articles about the club as a performance metric very highly hence why they are dragging these transfers out as a measure to create as much media traction --> Show it to potential sponsors.

1. They have boasted about amounts of SO-ME interactions after transfers, not about how the player will change the ability of the club.
2. The big transfers happens late in the windows after a serious amount of media speculations: PP, Lukaku, Bruno and Maguire.
(Should be noted that this could also be influenced by the complexity of the deals, getting players sold, incompetency of the negotiators or a negotiating strategy... Still, would be nice to get these key players in some time before the season starts.)
3. The monetizing the brand that is MUFC as a business model for the club would fit well with this "conspiracy".

This conspiracy comes from a pov that the owners and upper management as a club does not give a rats ass about how the club performs on the pitch as long as the money can be milked and the fans are appeased.

Maticmaker

Certainly the points you make about United being 'front and centre' with the media is very true, United's name sells papers, podcasts, advertising, etc.

I think we would all like to feel the clubs senior management is fed up of seeing every player's price rise as soon as we declare an interest and in a 'business sense' they want to try to disabuse selling clubs from taking up such positions, that in itself makes sense. However they don't seem to be making a good job of it unless, as your theory runs, they have already done the deal and are just retaining 'the publicity angle'. I would like to believe its true, but I doubt it.

If you recall the Maguire 'farrago', we refused to pay Leicester's £75m price tag to start with and eventually after months, we cleverly negotiated an £80m deal, (reportedly with further add-ons to that)

We may not be complete idiots in transfer matters but I think the jury is still out!

clarkydaz

They cant boast about ighalo trending worldwide when signed as a panic buy, then blame fans last week saying their online negativity is having a detrimental effect on the squad, immediately followed by a player publicly saying new players would be nice.

Also maintaining they are 'relaxed' about the sitiation whilst the football world see what a shambles they are

UpWithRivers

They cant boast about ighalo trending worldwide when signed as a panic buy, then blame fans last week saying their online negativity is having a detrimental effect on the squad, immediately followed by a player publicly saying new players would be nice.

Also maintaining they are 'relaxed' about the sitiation whilst the football world see what a shambles they are
They can and thats my point. They dont care whats in the media as long as there is press about United. The more talking points the better. Shaw says new players would be nice and a whole who ha erupts. Papers, Youtubers, Podcasts, Ex players. The whole friggin world. Dudes in Iran and talking about it. Its all good. Yes they need the manager of Media relations to try and steer it a bit but if his job is to stop it then hes doing a very shtty job. Hes obviously stoking it and steering it as much as possible. But its a worldwind and in a media sense thats good for us.
Even if we dont get Sancho. Dragging it out brings multi millions if not billions of views worldwide daily. If they just said that 3 months ago then think of the money lost.

Coleyoscar

I understand where you're coming from, it beggars belief that any football club could be so inept, so comically incapable of managing their transfer business effectively. The sad fact is that there is no grand conspiracy between clever executives and a compliant media.

Careering from one bad managerial appointment to the next; offering huge contracts to players whom you subsequently can't give away; rushing to make panicky last minute signings on deadline day; offering silly soundbites on how powerful we are in the market; etc., etc. None of these are indicative of a well run club with brilliant strategic leadership.

All the evidence suggests it's cock-up rather than conspiracy I'm afraid.

Foxbatt

I think they are inept. The reason is that there are so many players we can buy without giving an arm and a leg.
Normally with a well run club the DOF will see that what areas are we struggling and discuss with the manager about it and look for the best options available on the market. Especially at the young and upcoming players. Look at Vidic. Suddenly he was here.
We don't seem to do that. It's ok to buy a world famous name but the team needs a sum of better players rather than one big name.
I think we are inept.

Murray3007

don't think its any theory other then the people running the club are awful. have been for a long time, only thing we can hope for is the covid has a massive impact on the money side of things and they sell up,

Dante

Average bang
Nobody at the club gives a shit about a few hundred knobheads complaining on the internet. The club is only interested in doing their business, not in leaking nonsense to stop said knobheads from posting memes and tweets.

The journalists therefore have free rein to earn clicks. So that's what they do.

There are millions of United fans in the world. If you concoct a conspiracy based on the importance of a tiny number of those fans, you're going to end up barking up the wrong tree.

It like a pigeon coming up with a conspiracy theory that humans created Nelson's Column to give him something to sit on. It's over-estimating its own importance to the overall situation.

tomaldinho1

1) The media definitely are not in on it - they are clueless in about 99% of cases
2) No way Sancho will be paid more than Pogba

I do buy into the 'no news is bad news' idea with respect to how Woodward operates however but that is more down to how valuable social media has become rather than him being an idiot. I doubt we line up transfers super early and then just wait to let the twitter world rev itself into a frenzy but I wouldn't be surprised in this case if we do get Sancho over the line last minute because Dortmund have set a price and we seem to not be bothered about alternatives. As many doubts as we have about Judge, there's no chance he is that moronic to not understand you need backup options and so I assume we will Maguire this one last minute and pay up.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Isn't it more logical to conclude, based on all the evidence we've seen over the years, that the people running the club are totally inept?

bdecuc

I don't think they're necessarily inept. I think they probably don't have a great systems in place for transfers - I'd say the focus is on scrounging out sufficient probitability to allow the owners to take their early dividends - not actual stuff to make the club better at football like acquiring football players.

However I just don't think we should believe half the nonsense in the media about transfers.

The lines Dortmund have been coming out with this summer seem ludicrous to me. Maybe they're correct. Maybe Dortmund did really and intentionally set a deadline of 10th August which they are intending to stand by. Maybe they did think that they could force United into paying a pre-COVID price of €120m just by acting tough in the media. Or maybe they really do have no intention of selling Sancho for a penny less than €120m. Maybe they really are baffled as to why people and United are still talking about a transfer that they have been clear is not going to happen on any other terms than what they've set out. Maybe.

But I think it's more likely that they are and everyone involved knows they are open to selling Sancho still and have been all summer. I think it's more likely there's been an impasse in negotiations but that it's obvious the pressure to make a deal (for both sides) becomes more intense at the end of the transfer window so it was always in United's interest to wait until now. Anyway that's what I'm hoping with Sancho.

Either way I don't think it's just plain incompetence from United which is how it's usually portrayed in the media. Don't get me wrong, the financiers running our club are odious but they're probably not plain idiots.

RedDevil@84

Or the Sancho deal has been off for ages. They asked 120M and we didn't have that kind of money. So Woodward, media and Dortmund are just messing around because United are not planning to sign anyone and the Sancho news keeps fans busy for the entire window.

Lentwood

I think it’s probably more likely to be that after years of boasting about how stupidly rich we are and how we’re willing to blow other clubs out of the water on fees/wages the club have decided they’re not going to be a soft touch anymore

It’s not the best negotiating tactic is it - telling the world you’re got loads of money and desperately want to spend it

I think the last two years have been an attempt to undo that perception

MikeeMike

A big elephant in the room here. Man Utd are big news all the time. Media invent what they want and it is picked up by all channels and quoted.
But, also there must be leaks within the club to manipulate the market which doesnt make sense. The scousers now get their business done on the quiet like we used to do.

It is a joke watching transfer sagas now. With Sancho, ask how much and pay.
Good post though.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
A big elephant in the room here. Man Utd are big news all the time. Media invent what they want and it is picked up by all channels and quoted.
But, also there must be leaks within the club to manipulate the market which doesnt make sense. The scousers now get their business done on the quiet like we used to do.

It is a joke watching transfer sagas now. With Sancho, ask how much and pay.
Good post though.
When have we EVER done our transfers on the quiet - when have Liverpool started doing this?

Crustanoid

The people running the club are massive idiots. It doesn’t take an idiot to work that out, Maybe they should wear dunces hats

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
They're there.. .To make money and maximise share/profit/dividend. The end.
Football comes a distant second and when you accept that you'll understand what is happening.

tombombadil

1) Except for last season, the "transfer committee" has performed poorly
2) Almost all the rumors about Man Utd are false.
3) The club have not bothered to debunk rumors because there is no such thing as bad publicity. Only publicity.
4) Because rumors are allowed to keep festering, it somehow becomes true. You know. Repeat a lie often enough, yada yada.

Red Comet

I'm just going to apply Hanlon's Razor "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" and conclude that both Ed the banker is out of his depth as football director.

TheLord

My theory is simple and I have written about it previously.

It is impossible for the media to report a gazillion United-related transfer rumours every summer unless there's a system within the United board to feed these rumours to the media. It is a ploy to portray United's image as an elite and extremely rich club that is interested in every single top player in Europe. It is a ploy to keep the fans occupied in the nonsense so that they don't have enough time or conviction to revolt.

I am convinced that this is a smokescreen to enshroud United's on-field and off-field ineptitude, especially in these economic times when the Board just doesn't want to spend.

Last edited:

georgipep

My theory is simple and I have written about it previously.

It is impossible for the media to report a gazillion United-related transfer rumours every summer unless there's a system within the United board to feed these rumours to the media. It is a ploy to portray United's image as an elite and extremely rich club that is interested in every single top player in Europe. It is a ploy to keep the fans occupied in the nonsense so that they don't have enough time or conviction to revolt.

I am convinced that this is a smokescreen to enshroud United's on-field and off-field ineptitude, especially in these economic times when the Board just doesn't want to spend.
It is impossible for "a journalist" to add the #MUFC to a tweet to increase reach and engagement? Have you heard of clickbait?

Also, do you know that club directors and player agents use tactics like planting false club interest for their players to simulate demand and thus force another club of paying up or increasing negotiation power for new contract terms?

I think your mind will be blown if you decide to educate yourself in psychology, social media marketing and business strategy. I strongly recommend this book: Trust Me, I'm Lying (By Ryan Holiday)

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The club leaks stuff and leave things to the last minute to ensure maximum social media mentions as a way to sell ourselves as a valuable marketing platform despite below par performances on the pitch.

UpWithRivers

I'm just going to apply Hanlon's Razor "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" and conclude that both Ed the banker is out of his depth as football director.
Is it really stupidity? And thats the question I pose. How is it possible a multi billion pound business runs on stupidity. Year in year out.
It is impossible for "a journalist" to add the #MUFC to a tweet to increase reach and engagement? Have you heard of clickbait?

Also, do you know that club directors and player agents use tactics like planting false club interest for their players to simulate demand and thus force another club of paying up or increasing negotiation power for new contract terms?

I think your mind will be blown if you decide to educate yourself in psychology, social media marketing and business strategy. I strongly recommend this book: Trust Me, I'm Lying (By Ryan Holiday)
Yes there is everyone is making a living on the United name. #MUFC feeds more families than pasta. The question is why dont United do anything to try and curb this? And why is it that we leave all transfers to the last minute. Are we actually so inept and stupid that we do things like wait till deadline day to try and make the other team blink in 90 percent of transfers. After 6 plus years of this you just cant put it down to coincidence anymore. If Agents use United to get a contract for their player we could simply make a statement - We think player X is great but at this moment it is not a transfer we are looking at. We could even leak these stories. Every other club does this. Stories dont come out and even when they do they are hushed quickly. Thats the club behind it quieting the rumours.

soapythecat

I doubt our interest in Sancho is as big as Neil Ashton will allow us to think.
If they wanted him and knew the price they would offer it or move on. It’s a perfect storm to chase a player who’s club won’t sell cheap and then act like we tried.
The clubs hierarchy are an absolute joke and have no intention of pushing for a title.

georgipep

Is it really stupidity? And thats the question I pose. How is it possible a multi billion pound business runs on stupidity. Year in year out.

Yes there is everyone is making a living on the United name. #MUFC feeds more families than pasta. The question is why dont United do anything to try and curb this? And why is it that we leave all transfers to the last minute. Are we actually so inept and stupid that we do things like wait till deadline day to try and make the other team blink in 90 percent of transfers. After 6 plus years of this you just cant put it down to coincidence anymore. If Agents use United to get a contract for their player we could simply make a statement - We think player X is great but at this moment it is not a transfer we are looking at. We could even leak these stories. Every other club does this. Stories dont come out and even when they do they are hushed quickly. Thats the club behind it quieting the rumours.
Curb what? You think there won't be transfer rumors if we sign players early? How is that going to help?

We are not signing players early because we don't agree fees and/or want to defer costs as much as possible. Why should we care about the media and the muppet fans who crave transfer news and go for the clickbait? There isn't anything that can be done about them. It is just the effects of social media for the most popular club in England with millions of fans around the world.

"Every other club does this" is simply not true. Every now and again a club will come with a statement for a specific player to preserve relationship with the other club, but that happens so, so rarely.

MikeeMike

Today we are Sancho (saga) , Jovic and Dembele
Monday was Kante
Sunday was Telles and Luna

Apart from Sancho , it seems complete fabrication .

Foxbatt

Today we are Sancho (saga) , Jovic and Dembele
Monday was Kante
Sunday was Telles and Luna

Apart from Sancho , it seems complete fabrication .
I think we are going to buy the Bulgarian Tittyshev? Apparently the second Bulgarian to come to United after Berba?

Varun

Staff
Here's another theory:

We're run by utterly incompetent feckwits

The End.

patty123

Here's another theory:

We're run by utterly incompetent feckwits

The End.
And so it should as like with threads concerning the owners and woodworm, as one as much as it pains me, only has to look at the bin dippers and having the right people there can do, as anyone tell me this, why people say woodworm is a good businesses man, BS I call, as he's like a snake oil's sales man.

Proof, the dippers have won cl, epl and look on the up, we have spent how many 100's of million only to see failure, as FGS have invested feck all into that team, as the only time they spend big is when they have a decent selling window as proven with the keeper and virgil.

Woodenlung

We aren't run by idiots at all. I think a lot of fans don't fully appreciate that Manchester United is run to make the Glazer's a lot of cash. In that regards we're doing spectacularly. A profit and loss account showing a major surplus is of far more importance to them than winning trophies. If we can do that too then all the better. But if not, they don't really care provided we make top 4 every so often to keep the money coming in.

MikeeMike

And so it should as like with threads concerning the owners and woodworm, as one as much as it pains me, only has to look at the bin dippers and having the right people there can do, as anyone tell me this, why people say woodworm is a good businesses man, BS I call, as he's like a snake oil's sales man.

Proof, the dippers have won cl, epl and look on the up, we have spent how many 100's of million only to see failure, as FGS have invested feck all into that team, as the only time they spend big is when they have a decent selling window as proven with the keeper and virgil.
OK the VvD signing was mirky but everyone laughed at the price and now
Still think the keeper fee is crazy but looks good protected by back four.

Suedesi

I'll plead Occam's Razor on this one.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Interesting take. My only problem with it? Why doesn't Bayern have to do this? When they come in for a Dortmund player, the club unzips, pulls their pants down, bends over, does a goatse, and says "please do whatever you like."

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
The better conspiracy is that professional sports only exists these days to sell shit to muppets, both in useless football merchandise and with whatever ads they put out.