The Greatest Club Footballers of all time

Moby

Dick
The discussion about who is the greatest player to play the sport of football are never ending and often the national team contributions, specially in World Cups, elevate some players to a very high status. However, here we are disregarding all the national team performances and focussing only on club careers.

Feel free to nominate names who you think belongs in this discussion, or if you wish to then post lists or rankings or discuss who according to you could be the answer to the final question - the greatest club footballer. I'm also hoping for getting some insight into the careers of some of the highly celebrated names in the history of the game, and whether their reputation rightly or wrongly represents their entire career. Just one thing to remember - only club performances count!

Just to clarify about what one would be generally looking at in players -

• Level of performances during his club career
  • Consistency
  • Peak performances and longevity both matter
  • Performances on the biggest stage - usually the European Cup/Champions League
  • Achievements/Trophies and contribution in those achievements
  • Legendary/Iconic status at the club(s)
  • Influence on the sport during or after his playing time

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
I'll start with one of the obvious names, though as we go further I hope to see some club legends who probably aren't remembered as a few others due to their lack of international contributions, despite having great careers for their clubs.

Alfredo Di Stéfano

Club Honours :

The man who conquered the most prestigious club competition as we know it today, five times in a row while scoring in each of those finals. The history every Madrid fan is proud of wouldn't have been possible without The Blonde Arrow. His transfer to Madrid instead of Barcelona changed the fortunes and the futures of the two clubs.

The two time Ballon D'or winner was also the top scorer in the league eight! times in his career and scored a whopping 307 goals in 396 games for Madrid, always leading from the front. Also regarded as one of the greatest and most complete players of all time, he is, quite rightly, one of the greatest club footballers of all time.

Good luck topping that. :)

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Between Di Stefano and Messi IMO. Cruyff, Maldini, Xavi, Iniesta and Giggs right behind them.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Gerd Müller's and Franz Beckenbauer's influence at Bayern can't be overstated. Both played for Bayern in the 2nd division (back then called Regionalliga Süd) and helped Bayern to get promoted, to win our first international trophy (cup winners' cup in '67), our first Bundesliga title in '69 and our first European Cup in '74 (and of course two more the following two years). As kids they joined the clear number 2 club in Munich (1860 won the Bundesliga the year Müller joined Bayern), but retired as legends in one of the biggest clubs in the world.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Cina

Messi is undoubtedly the greatest club footballer of all time.
It's not undoubted at all. Pele, Eusebio, Di Stefano and Gerd Muller were all incredible players for their respective clubs.

You could argue he's probably the best player to ever play club football but I don't think he ranks above those players yet in terms of what he's achieved at club level in comparison.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's not undoubted at all. Pele, Eusebio, Di Stefano and Gerd Muller were all incredible players for their respective clubs.

You could argue he's probably the best player to ever play club football but I don't think he ranks above those players yet in terms of what he's achieved at club level in comparison.
I think he is right up there to be fair, very close to Di Stefano.

Cina

I think he is right up there to be fair, very close to Di Stefano.
yes, he's up there, he's not "undoubtedly the greatest" though, which is what was said in the post I quoted.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Phil Neal

Was stunned about his achievements when researching for a draft game despite playing for scouse.

8 league titles and 4 European cups is no mean feat!

Liverpool

Depends what you're judging on. If its on trophies won it's fairly easy to single out the greatest. Otherwise, I've been watching the game 25 years and I have never seen anyone as good as this guy was for those 2-3 years between Barcelona and Inter Milan.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
He's just the man. Easily my favourite defender of all time, and those wins... Amazing.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not sure I get this thread. Is it "who is the greatest footballer when we discount international performances" or "who won the most with their club" or what?

Revan

Assumptionman
Doesn't really belong on this list IMO.
No other player has win as many league titles as him in Europe, ever. I think he belongs there (not with Di Stefano, Messi, Cruyff, Maldini and Beckenbauer) but just below them.

Ryan7

Moby

Dick
It's upto you how much importance you want to put on trophies, of course winning them matters as well, but we are not just looking for someone who has won the most number of them, quality and quantity of contribution among other things matter. Basically only take club performances into account and come with the best performers.

Skorenzy

No other player has win as many league titles as him in Europe, ever. I think he belongs there (not with Di Stefano, Messi, Cruyff, Maldini and Beckenbauer) but just below them.
Paco Gento could fit in there as well, 12 league titles and a record 6 European Cups.

Gerd Müller's and Franz Beckenbauer's influence at Bayern can't be overstated. Both played for Bayern in the 2nd division (back then called Regionalliga Süd) and helped Bayern to get promoted, to win our first international trophy (cup winners' cup in '67), our first Bundesliga title in '69 and our first European Cup in '74 (and of course two more the following two years). As kids they joined the clear number 2 club in Munich (1860 won the Bundesliga the year Müller joined Bayern), but retired as legends in one of the biggest clubs in the world.
It's peculiar that Der Kaiser and Der Bomber won "only" 4 league titles (in 12 and 14 seasons, respectively) and yet 3 European Cups (in 4 participations!!)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's upto you how much importance you want to put on trophies, of course winning them matters as well, but we are not just looking for someone who has won the most number of them, quality and quantity of contribution among other things matter. Basically only take club performances into account and come with the best performers.
Without trophies and based on contribution alone it'd havr to be alan shearer for what he brings to the magpies