The Greatest Club Footballers of all time

mufcwarm92

Messi has now been unplayably good for about 8 years. Got to be him at the top already, with a few more years in the tank too.

Moby

Dick
Without trophies and based on contribution alone it'd havr to be alan shearer for what he brings to the magpies
He was a great servant for them for years, however the lack of participation in the biggest club competition that is teh Champions League holds his reputation back a bit. But no doubt, he was great in the league.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It's peculiar that Der Kaiser and Der Bomber won "only" 4 league titles (in 12 and 14 seasons, respectively) and yet 3 European Cups (in 4 participations!!)
The 70's Gladbach side, that rivaled us in the league and won 5 league titles in the 70's, was an incredible football team, probably the greatest football side I've seen that never won the European Cup/CL and one of the most entertaining. Two time UEFA Cup winner, reached two more UEFA Cup finals and a European Cup final and were robbed of another great European Cup run when the 7-1 win against Inter had to be replayed because one of the Inter players was hit by an empty can thrown by a stupid fan. Matt Busby watched the game in the stands and said:
"There is no cure against this Mönchengladbach side. I am thrilled. At the moment, nobody can win here in Mönchengladbach"

It's a shame that we never got to see the Gladbach side playing the European Cup final against Ajax, they were the two best and most entertaining teams that year. 4dfoot has a wonderful article on it:
http://www.4dfoot.com/2013/07/29/when-uefa-erased-netzers-night-of-glory/

They were managed by two all time great German managers in Weisweiler and Lattek over those years, full of fantastic players like Netzer, Vogts, Stielike, Bonhof and many more, including, Allan Simonsen, who won the Ballon d'Or while playing for them.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
It's obviously Messi on talent and individual awards alone. By the time he retires, he'll probably amass a ridiculous tally of trophies to go along with it I imagine. Already has 2 trebles for christs sake!

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No other player has win as many league titles as him in Europe, ever. I think he belongs there (not with Di Stefano, Messi, Cruyff, Maldini and Beckenbauer) but just below them.
He's not been at the very highest tier though. Trophies aren't the only measure of a footballer.

Blackwidow

They were managed by two all time great German managers in Weisweiler and Lattek over those years, full of fantastic players like Netzer, Vogts, Stielike, Bonhof and many more, including, Allan Simonsen, who won the Ballon d'Or while playing for them.
You forgot Heynckes who - would not have been Müller at the same time playing like him - would have had a different standing as goal scorer, too.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
As good as he was, he wasn't a truly key player for any of them in the way others mentioned in here were. First player to be subbed off for Ajax when they won it in 1995, Milan when they lost it in 2005 and wasn't even included in the squad when Madrid won their title in 2000. I'm not saying that's proof of anything, but it's certainly an indication of his importance in the team. In the 2005 final in Istanbul for example he was largely peripheral when Milan dominated the first half and when Liverpool put up a fight in the second half he was utterly invisible. Kaká, Pirlo and even Gattuso were much more important. He was a fairweather player in comparison to most of the players mentioned in this thread.

Any greatest footballers list without Zinedine Zidane isn't worth looking at. He's one of the best footballers...EVER!
In large part thanks to his international career, though.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Or in other words, "who is the greatest footballer of all time once we discount the one argument that is constantly used to prove Messi isn't the greatest footballer of all time"?

I'm gonna say that's Messi. :)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Just to add a non-obvious name to the mix: Bobby Lennox.

Giggsy's Scottish counterpart. One-club man (well, almost). More domestic titles than Giggsy * (in an era when Scottish football was lightyears better than it is now, of course), played in two EC finals and famously won the first.

Also: A club player (much) more than anything, as his international career was extremely underwhelming.

* Less league titles, but more cups.

SalfordRed1960

I'll start with one of the obvious names, though as we go further I hope to see some club legends who probably aren't remembered as a few others due to their lack of international contributions, despite having great careers for their clubs.

Alfredo Di Stéfano

Club Honours :

The man who conquered the most prestigious club competition as we know it today, five times in a row while scoring in each of those finals. The history every Madrid fan is proud of wouldn't have been possible without The Blonde Arrow. His transfer to Madrid instead of Barcelona changed the fortunes and the futures of the two clubs.

The two time Ballon D'or winner was also the top scorer in the league eight! times in his career and scored a whopping 307 goals in 396 games for Madrid, always leading from the front. Also regarded as one of the greatest and most complete players of all time, he is, quite rightly, one of the greatest club footballers of all time.

Good luck topping that. :)
Very impressive across countries with different teams. Many others like Giggs/Messi/Totti will be single clubs and single country.

montpelier

Steve Claridge ??

Fareham Town, Bournemouth, Weymouth, Crystal Palace, Aldershot, Cambridge United, Luton Town, Cambridge United, Birmingham City, Leicester City, Portsmouth (loan), Wolverhampton Wanderers, Portsmouth, Millwall (loan), Millwall, Weymouth, Brighton & Hove Albion, Brentford, Wycombe Wanderers (loan), Wycombe Wanderers, Millwall, Gillingham, Bradford City, Walsall (loan). Bournemouth, Worthing, Harrow Borough, Weymouth and Gosport Borough.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Steve Claridge ??

Fareham Town, Bournemouth, Weymouth, Crystal Palace, Aldershot, Cambridge United, Luton Town, Cambridge United, Birmingham City, Leicester City, Portsmouth (loan), Wolverhampton Wanderers, Portsmouth, Millwall (loan), Millwall, Weymouth, Brighton & Hove Albion, Brentford, Wycombe Wanderers (loan), Wycombe Wanderers, Millwall, Gillingham, Bradford City, Walsall (loan). Bournemouth, Worthing, Harrow Borough, Weymouth and Gosport Borough.
Good shout.

Lee Chapman springs to mind too. "Name a crappy team and Chappy's been there," they used to sing.

204Red

and he lost both the 2009-2010 and 2011-12 World Pie Eating Championships on goal difference, so that's pretty much as good as a win.

Thisistheone

He's not been at the very highest tier though. Trophies aren't the only measure of a footballer.
He's been a key component for the greatest manager ever during utd's most successful period in their history. Utd are one of the great clubs and Giggs is arguably our greatest player.

sallycinnamin

Fransisco Gento 12 league titles and the only player ever to win 6 European Cups.

Truedevil

Ferenc Puskás

Budapest Honvéd
Hungarian League: 1949/50, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955

Real Madrid

Spanish League: 1960–61, 1961–62, 1962–63, 1963–64, 1964–65
Spanish Cup: 1961–1962
European Cup: 1958–1959, 1959–1960, 1965–1966
Intercontinental Cup: 1960

Invidual honours with clubs
Hungarian Top Scorer: 1947–48, 1949–50, 1950, 1953
Spanish League Top Scorer (Pichichi Trophy): 1959–60, 1960–61, 1962–63, 1963–64
World Soccer Player of the Year: 1953[43]
European Player of the Year: 1953
European Player of the 20th century L'Equipe
Hungarian Player of the 20th century[citation needed]
Football's Top Scorer of the 20th century-International Federation of Football History and Statistics
Silver Ball European Footballer of the Year France Football: 1960
Member of the FIFA 100
UEFA Golden Player: Hungary
Inaugural Inductee into Goal Hall of Fame 2014
Top 10 Greatest Players of the 20th century (#7) -World Soccer Magazine
Top 10 World's Best Players of the 20th century (#6) -International Federation of Football History and Statistics
Top 10 Europe's Best Players of the 20th century (#4) -International Federation of Football History and Statistics
European Cup Top Scorer (12 goals; 7 goals): 1960, 1964
Golden Foot: 2006 (as a legend)

sallycinnamin

Just asking are we at some stage going to resemble a starting eleven? Would make very interesting reading.

montpelier

GK - Lev Yashin played for Dynamo Moscow for 22yrs - 5 League titles, 2nd 6 times, 5 Cups. Only GK to win the Ballon d'Or.
Various other awards. 4 World Cups that we don't talk about.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Keane was far better for us than Shearer was for Newcastle even if you take away the trophies.
I know, but on the good sport of the thread, he does worth a mention. If this was all about skills and trophies the only answer people have is Messi, messi, and messi.

But to elaborate, Shearer is like Maradonna at Napoli, what he does at the Magpies is magnificent looking back. I know they have a nice squad back then, but he really is something else back then.

montpelier

Tony Adams, Captain Armband Bellend John Terry, Carragher, Baresi, Bergomi, Beckenbauer - central defence.

I feel it's likely we may go with 2 of the Forrin lads here.

Moby

Dick
It is easy to overlook something right next to us....

Sir Robert "Bobby" Charlton

Joined the club at the age of 16, and twenty years later, finished as possibly the biggest iconic figure at the club, which stands right till this day. Few men can be associated more to the club than the legend that is Bobby Charlton. A Busby Babe, witnessed and survived the trauma of Munich, came back and conquered everything in sight, leading the team on every front. Without a doubt, one of the greatest club careers one can talk about!

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
It is easy to overlook something right next to us....

Sir Robert "Bobby" Charlton

Joined the club at the age of 16, and twenty years later, finished as possibly the biggest iconic figure at the club, which stands right till this day. Few men can be associated more to the club than the legend that is Bobby Charlton. A Busby Babe, witnessed and survived the trauma of Munich, came back and conquered everything in sight, leading the team on every front. Without a doubt, one of the greatest club careers one can talk about!
Thanks! I was scrolling down the first, and then the second page, just waiting for someone to mention Charlton. Can't believe it took 74 posts!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What? He's probably the most decorated player of all time, if not then in the top 3. Not to mention all his honors are from the elite leagues.
He's been a key component for the greatest manager ever during utd's most successful period in their history. Utd are one of the great clubs and Giggs is arguably our greatest player.
Apologies. I misunderstood the thread. I thought it was about the best footballer rather than footballer.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I know, but on the good sport of the thread, he does worth a mention. If this was all about skills and trophies the only answer people have is Messi, messi, and messi.

But to elaborate, Shearer is like Maradonna at Napoli, what he does at the Magpies is magnificent looking back. I know they have a nice squad back then, but he really is something else back then.
Obviously he was a big talisman for Newcastle, but his best football was undoubtedly at Blackburn.

montpelier

Yes, I do feel it erodes even the somewhat nebulous criteria of 'club-tastic ness' if a guy is winning the League & playing his best footy for another team.

I reckon Jimmy McGrory for up top instead. 15years at Celtic, 395 goals in 378 appearances.

''Even although he was only 5 ft 6ins, he was renowned for his prowess and ability from headers. His trademark was an almost horizontal, bullet header, which he performed and scored regularly from and which earned him his nicknames, of the"Human Torpedo" and the "Mermaid'' -

The all-time leading goalscorer in top-flight British football with a total of 485 goals, 56 hat tricks.

foolsgold

George Best was a magnificent club footballer with virtually zero achievement in the international game