The Greatest Footballer of All Time

VanKenny

Considering this thread directly compares Messi with Pelé, how is it a whole different argument?
Comparing club careers, individual achievement, records between Messi and Pele is a different subject and argument than what i was posting about in the post you quoted. The discussion we are having is about national team success and its weight on the GOAT status, and how you cant be the GOAT if your team doesnt win it etc.

Not saying this isnt the thread to discuss Pele vs Messi's club career, im just saying its not what we were currently talking about.

About your "who would you pick to win a final between Messi, Pele and Maradona" question, well it depends. Say, do you randomly pick a time of their careers to represent themselves on that game? Then that would Messi since he has been the most consistent out of the three.

You talking about a season's peak? Then that one goes to Messi.

You talking about an specific day of their careers? Say, Maradona on 86 against England, Pele against Benfica on '62, Messi against Madrid/Bayern/United/City etc on the CL, any of those are pretty much perfect performances.

I would pick Messi. I honestly find it a bit foolish how someone would pick Pele when he played 60 years ago and nobody here got to see him week in and week out like we have seen Messi, so you would be picking based on black and white highlights and articles etc, while we have actually seen Messi do ridiculous things multiple times every single season, but hey to each their own.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Lots of talk about Maradona and Pele elevating their teams on the international stage, but what do we consider of the likes of Cruyff and Beckenbauer, who achieved the same whilst simultaneously being much more succesful on club level?

Cruyff and Beckenbauer being the absolute two best players of the 70s, with a rivalry similar to Ronaldo and Messi which reached it's summit in the 1974 final.

Both have three consecutive European Cups to add to their national team performances and both are players of which older generations still speak so fondly of even today.

Imo they're as much in the discussion as Pele and Maradona are.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Lots of talk about Maradona and Pele elevating their teams on the international stage, but what do we consider of the likes of Cruyff and Beckenbauer, who achieved the same whilst simultaneously being much more succesful on club level?

Cruyff and Beckenbauer being the absolute two best players of the 70s, with a rivalry similar to Ronaldo and Messi which reached it's summit in the 1974 final.

Both have three consecutive European Cups to add to their national team performances and both are players of which older generations still speak so fondly of even today.

Good point.

Jund

For me it's:
1.Pele
2. Maradona, Beckenbauer.
3. Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo Ronaldo, Cristiano Ronaldo, Peter Schmeichel, Van Basten, Lev Yashin.

The rest are pretty much obvious: Messi (don't @ me), Best, Eusebio, Di Stefano, Puskas, Panenka, Vasilis Hatzipanagis and the likes.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
[
Messi's inability to be a difference maker in a final with Argentina does weight pretty heavily against him, considering he played four

We can big up CL all we want but the WC still remains by far the biggest and most prestigious tournament in the sport. The biggest stage of all. And Messi just doesn't have the record to stand up against Pelé or Maradona. We can talk consistency all we want, but if you had to win one game with your life on the line and you had the choice of one of Messi, Pelé or Maradona to be on your team, you wouldn't pick Messi
That’s an interesting hypothetical scenario. I would pick Pele and I’m not sure how one can make a logical argument for any other player in history over him

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

Cruyff and Beckenbauer were not more successful than Pele domestically and it’s arguable whether they were more successful than Maradona domestically. They won more trophies than Diego but he was instrumental in bringing the first and only league titles to the South of Italy. That’s a big deal, especially when you consider that Bayern Munich and Ajax have won dozens of titles without Cruyff and Beckenbauer.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Comparing club careers, individual achievement, records between Messi and Pele is a different subject and argument than what i was posting about in the post you quoted. The discussion we are having is about national team success and its weight on the GOAT status, and how you cant be the GOAT if your team doesnt win it etc.

Not saying this isnt the thread to discuss Pele vs Messi's club career, im just saying its not what we were currently talking about.

About your "who would you pick to win a final between Messi, Pele and Maradona" question, well it depends. Say, do you randomly pick a time of their careers to represent themselves on that game? Then that would Messi since he has been the most consistent out of the three.

You talking about a season's peak? Then that one goes to Messi.

You talking about an specific day of their careers? Say, Maradona on 86 against England, Pele against Benfica on '62, Messi against Madrid/Bayern/United/City etc on the CL, any of those are pretty much perfect performances.

I would pick Messi. I honestly find it a bit foolish how someone would pick Pele when he played 60 years ago and nobody here got to see him week in and week out like we have seen Messi, so you would be picking based on black and white highlights and articles etc, while we have actually seen Messi do ridiculous things multiple times every single season, but hey to each their own.
So much of what you’ve said here is wrong, IMO. First of all, we have many full matches of Pele, not just highlights. We even have some of them in colour! It’s much easier to research him than even someone like DiStefano, who is only 14 years older.

Secondly, being able to watch a player who plays in a foreign country on TV every week is a relatively modern day luxury. I didn’t see Diego, Zico, Platini etc. play week in week out for the entirely of their careers but I’m still pretty confident that I know how good they were

Obviously it’s great if you can watch them hundreds and hundreds of times, but the simple fact is that until fairly recently you could not do that except for players in the UK

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Cruyff and Beckenbauer were not more successful than Pele domestically and it’s arguable whether they were more successful than Maradona domestically. They won more trophies than Diego but he was instrumental in bringing the first and only league titles to the South of Italy. That’s a big deal, especially when you consider that Bayern Munich and Ajax have won dozens of titles without Cruyff and Beckenbauer.
Don't know much about Ajax' history, but Bayern didn't win anything of note before Beckenbauer. A cup title in 1957 and a championship during the Weimar Republic, that's it. They played in the 2nd (regional) division during the first BL season, while 1860 was the leading club in Munich and a German top team of the mid-60s.

All the successes that turned Bayern into a global super club came with Beckenbauer/Müller/Maier. And this was the fundament for any later success, at least in pure sporting terms.

Last edited:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Yes, that is what I meant: 1958-1970. I pointed that out to show that Pele also had great longevity, not just Messi and CR7. 12 years at the top is more than enough.

Basically all the top defenders back then. And it's not about him not being able to cope ability wise, it's about him not being able to cope with the tackles. He'd spend more time injured than on the field actually playing.

It baffles me how can you keep saying that when he hasn't been able to win a single major trophy with Argentina.
I thought we went over this already, this is a terrible argument because it's not backed by anything other than a "because I said so". If that's the best you can come up with to prove that modern players would be injured most of the time if they played back in the day then maybe you shouldn't bring it up in the first place, let alone bring it back up after it's already been proven to be absurd.

That you preface it by saying that the guy from that era who was of almost identical height and weight to Messi and was probably tackled more than most "had great longevity" isn't doing your argument much good either.

(and no Pele and the rest didn't learn to cope with those tackles in some magical way so that they could prevent impact injures like no modern player could ever do either)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The more this rages the more I'm convinced it can only be established "in their own time". To those arguing Pelé wouldn't be such a standout athletic freak today I present you Exhibit A: Messi in the 60s with no hormone therapy. It all inevitably adds up to choosing the case for your choice.

50s: Di Stéfano (no doubt)
60s: Pelé (no doubt)
70s: Beckenbauer/Cruyff (different players, revolutionary in their own way, I personally settle for Beckenbauer as player and Cruyff in football legacy)
80s: Maradona (in a decade packed with best ever #10s for so many countries, playing under the same conditions, he is still easily the best and that's usually what settles it for me)
90s: Ronaldo (Laudrup/Baggio/Zidane if #10, but the only 90s player who ever had a shot at GOAT was Ronaldo)
00s: Ronaldinho (criminally short peak but, again, the standout as a GOAT contender)
10s: Messi/Cristiano (50% will always say the other 50% is wrong, whichever 50% is doing the talking).

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
For me it's:
1.Pele
2. Maradona, Beckenbauer.
3. Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo Ronaldo, Cristiano Ronaldo, Peter Schmeichel, Van Basten, Lev Yashin.

The rest are pretty much obvious: Messi (don't @ me), Best, Eusebio, Di Stefano, Puskas, Panenka, Vasilis Hatzipanagis and the likes.
Mental

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Don't know much about Ajax' history, but Bayern didn't win anything of note before Beckenbauer. A cup title in 1957 and a championship during the Weimar Republic, that's it. They played in the 2nd (regional) division during the first BL season, while 1860 was the leading club in Munich and a German top team of the mid-60s.

All the successes that turned Bayern into a global super club came with Beckenbauer/Müller/Maier. And this was the fundament for any later success, at least in pure sporting terms.
Domestically we had been a successful club before Cruyff though most of that was from the early years and the club didn't win anything for 5 or 6 years before his first title. Still not comparable to Bayern or Napoli of course. The international success with Ajax would have been more 'shocking' as the club had barely even featured in the champions league before. He also won Barcelona the first league title in 14 years and Feyenoord the first league title in 10 years. I really don't think it's controversial to say both him and Beckenbauer had a more successful club career than Maradona.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Domestically we had been a successful club before Cruyff though most of that was from the early years and the club didn't win anything for 5 or 6 years before his first title. Still not comparable to Bayern or Napoli of course. The international success with Ajax would have been more 'shocking' as the club had barely even featured in the champions league before. He also won Barcelona the first league title in 14 years and Feyenoord the first league title in 10 years. I really don't think it's controversial to say both him and Beckenbauer had a more successful club career than Maradona.

I don’t think it’s controversial to say that, people can have that opinion and it’s fine. I’m saying that it’s debatable. If you just count the trophies then it looks like Cruyff and Beckenbauer had way better club careers but in context it’s not that clear cut. Maradona is South American, and he left Argentina (after winning a title) to come to another continent entirely. JC and FB played most of their careers in their home countries.

DM came to Barca, was not able to win a title there but still won some cups and had to deal with the culture shock, disease and a horribly broken ankle.

By the time he got to Napoli, most of the best players in the world played in Italy and it was an extremely defensive and very tough league. He won two Scudettos, the Italian Cup and the UEFA Cup there, a period of success that Napoli have not come close to matching either before or since.

In terms of degree of difficulty, you could argue that this trumps anything JC or FB achieved in their club careers. Especially as they had legendary teammates (Neeskens, Müller, Maier etc) to help them do their great work

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
In the distant past I have said Pele but not sure how anyone can argue against Ronaldo. Hate to agree with Piers Morgan but is Cristiano for me - by quite some distance

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
In the distant past I have said Pele but not sure how anyone can argue against Ronaldo. Hate to agree with Piers Morgan but is Cristiano for me - by quite some distance
I can pretty easily. Cristiano Ronaldo has not scored a goal or registered an assist in the knockout rounds of the World Cup, despite playing in four tournaments. That doesn’t sound like the greatest player of all time to me......Piers Morgan is wrong, as usual

Bogdannn

With your logic a player born in let's say Ireland, Bosnia, Norway, Austria etc. can never be the GOAT because their National teams aren't good enough
If that's the case, nobody will ever fault them for not winning the World Cup. But in Messi's case, he doesn't play for those teams, he plays for one of the greatest footballing nations on Earth and he has been surrounded by great footballers at Argentina, yet he hasn't produced the goods. And I wasn't talking just about the World Cup, but about any major trophy with the national team.

For me, being the GOAT footballer has to be about your abilities as a footballer
That doesn't make sense. There have been countless players throughout history that have been blessed with immense natural ability/talent. Converting that talent into titles is what makes you great. Otherwise, someone like Ronaldinho can be easily considered greater than guys like Di Stefano, Cruiyf and CR7, and we all know that is not true.

Messi in contrast didn't score as much in 2014 and he didn't win the tournament but he was the main creative outlet of his team. I'd say almost every dangerous attack ran through him but that's not really capturing it - if there was a goal scoring chance, he almost always was the player that made the most difficult and most decisive play, may it be a dribble or through ball.
Apart from an assist against Switzerland, he didn't do anything in the KO stage. Belgium, Netherlands, Germany - they all neutralized him.

This is a knockout tournament in a sport that is not only played by 22 individuals but also in it's design very "prone" to randomness and luck. Even more so in the less structured environment of somehwat improvisationally assembled international squads. I think your estimation of the influence a single player has on the outcome of the tournament is very, very off. You're underestimating the factor of luck/coincidence extremely and assign too much importance to the last contact in a sequence of play that lead to a goal.
The fact that it is less structured than club play is what makes a player stand out more. The World Cup is more about special moments of a player coming through for his team than about collective play. The World Cup showcases individual ability more than collective ability.

Like i say, we're not comparing him against players like Robben here. He is the best player in this generation and he should be the best player in every tournament in this generation, and that he hasn't done that even once is a blight on his career. Players like Robben can get away with highlights, having a positive influence on the team, and other meaningless things like that. Nobody will ever consider Robben one of the greats. On the other hand, players like Maradona and Pele are the greats, because they scored the important goals that won the important games. Messi's failure to do that keeps him a peg below them.
The thing you miss is that the greats ALL have one tournament where they have stood out and made their legacy. As long as they played for a half competent national team they have all done something special, regardless of randomness and luck. Pele, Maradona, R9, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Zidane, Platini, Garrincha, Muller. They all have at least one tournament where they stood out. The very best players have the ability to elevate everybody around them, Messi is pretty much the only one who doesn't. As brilliant as he is, he needs the team to elevate him.
Well said, completely agree with you.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If that's the case, nobody will ever fault them for not winning the World Cup. But in Messi's case, he doesn't play for those teams, he plays for one of the greatest footballing nations on Earth and he has been surrounded by great footballers at Argentina, yet he hasn't produced the goods. And I wasn't talking just about the World Cup, but about any major trophy with the national team.

That doesn't make sense. There have been countless players throughout history that have been blessed with immense natural ability/talent. Converting that talent into titles is what makes you great. Otherwise, someone like Ronaldinho can be easily considered greater than guys like Di Stefano, Cruiyf and CR7, and we all know that is not true.

Apart from an assist against Switzerland, he didn't do anything in the KO stage. Belgium, Netherlands, Germany - they all neutralized him.

The fact that it is less structured than club play is what makes a player stand out more. The World Cup is more about special moments of a player coming through for his team than about collective play. The World Cup showcases individual ability more than collective ability.

Well said, completely agree with you.
When you're done reading scoring sheets, do you bother watching actual football, too?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The more this rages the more I'm convinced it can only be established "in their own time". To those arguing Pelé wouldn't be such a standout athletic freak today I present you Exhibit A: Messi in the 60s with no hormone therapy. It all inevitably adds up to choosing the case for your choice.

70s: Beckenbauer/Cruyff (different players, revolutionary in their own way, I personally settle for Beckenbauer as player and Cruyff in football legacy)
80s: Maradona (in a decade packed with best ever #10s for so many countries, playing under the same conditions, he is still easily the best and that's usually what settles it for me)
90s: Ronaldo (Laudrup/Baggio/Zidane if #10, but the only 90s player who ever had a shot at GOAT was Ronaldo)
00s: Ronaldinho (criminally short peak but, again, the standout as a GOAT contender)
10s: Messi/Cristiano (50% will always say the other 50% is wrong, whichever 50% is doing the talking).
Yep.

Pretty much.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Personally I 100% agree with this. In a 200 m sprint you can easily determine who is the fastest of all time, but in 11 team game over more than a Century there are so many factors at play that I don't think you definitely say 1 player is the best of all time. Going by decades makes more sense too.

Bogdannn

Football is a team sport. Individual players don’t win trophies, teams do. Going back to Zidane, the great French footballer won a WC trophy, but no serious observer of the game would argue that Zidane (or Bobby Moore or Paul Pogba, both of whose teams won WC trophies) was a superior footballer to Lionel Messi.
Nobody argued Zidane was a greater player than Messi. His contribution to France winning the World Cup in 98 is not as important as Maradona and Pele's contributions to their teams winning it. Zidane simply scored 2 headers in the final and missed several crucial games due to a red card.
What we are arguing instead is that Pele and Maradona are greater players than Messi.

But what’s not debatable is that from the age of 30 on in their respective careers, Messi blows Pele away. We can still to this day confidently say that Messi at 33 is the greatest footballer on the planet (some might say Ronaldo, to be fair) and going very strong but when Pele hit 31 he had easily been eclipsed by Muller, Cruyff and Beckenbauer and was a no longer a factor at the highest level of football.
What they did after the age of 30 is irrelevant. Pele had 12 years at the top, that's more than enough.
From what I understand, your whole argument as to why you consider Messi has surpassed Pele is cause he has maintained his form after the age of 30 and Pele hasn't. This means you completely neglect the fact that Pele has had immense success both at club and at international level, while Messi hasn't.
As I've already mentioned, Messi and other modern players can have a longer career simply cause of modern benefits, such as better training, nutrition and "juices", and the fact that this isn't such a rough era in terms of defense.
It's not like Pele's skill declined after the age of 30, it's just about his body not being the same. Plus he wasn't washed up or something, he still played a a good level. And if you look at this season, Messi has declined himself.

Messi has elevated those around him for years. He has done this with Barcelona so frequently that its almost a cliche. The fact his Argentinian side hasnt been great at a WC shouldnt be held against him. So many view the Champions league as where the worlds best football is played, Fergie being one of them so I cant see how his National team not competing there being significant given his Champions league records. Messi has absolutely helped elevate his Barcelona team, there are countless times he was the difference.
That Barcelona team would have won most of its trophies even without Messi.
From 2008 to 2012, Spain won 2 Euros and a World Cup. No national team has ever had such a successful period. And that Spain team was build mostly on the backbone of Barcelona players.
Messi has 4 Champions League trophies to his CV. Out of those 4:
- one was won in 2006, when Ronaldinho was the main man and Messi had little contribution.
- two were in 2009 and 2011 (unfortunately against us), with Xavi and Iniesta. orchestrating the midfield.
- one in 2015, with Iniesta, Messi and Neymar.
Without them, Messi hasn't been able to do anything. On the other hand, the likes of Pele and Maradona put small teams on the map, and they didn't need superstars around them to do that. For example, Napoli barely escaped relegation before Maradona came along.

Yes, those players have national tournaments that their team's effort resulted in a trophy, but not all of those you listed had great performances, and only a few of them had "iconic" performances.
Those "few" are the ones we are comparing Messi with.

Messi has had some good/great performances as well, but simply his team hasnt won the trophy so he doesnt make it to that list.
Please list those "great performances", cause I don't know any with Argentina.

Lets not forget he won the golden ball in 2014, but im sure you wont "accept" that as a deserved trophy because it doesnt fit in your narrative.
A trophy which he did not deserve, it was more of a consolation prize.

....Winning a world cup cant ever be decided by a single player.....
Tell that to Pele, Garrincha, Maradona, Romario, Ronaldo.

And by the way, those players you listed, while having more success with their national teams, none of them even have 1/4 of the success Messi has had with club football, none of them have close to his individual records, individual trophies, etc. So in the end, it more than evens out. Except for Pele maybe, but thats a whole different argument.
Pele has had success both at club and at international level.
Maradona too. Even CR7 has had a better career than Messi.

Messi's inability to be a difference maker in a final with Argentina does weight pretty heavily against him, considering he played four
We can big up CL all we want but the WC still remains by far the biggest and most prestigious tournament in the sport. The biggest stage of all. And Messi just doesn't have the record to stand up against Pelé or Maradona. We can talk consistency all we want, but if you had to win one game with your life on the line and you had the choice of one of Messi, Pelé or Maradona to be on your team, you wouldn't pick Messi
Well said.

I thought we went over this already, this is a terrible argument because it's not backed by anything other than a "because I said so". If that's the best you can come up with to prove that modern players would be injured most of the time if they played back in the day then maybe you shouldn't bring it up in the first place, let alone bring it back up after it's already been proven to be absurd.
Proven to be absurd by whoom, you ? It's just your opinion.

That you preface it by saying that the guy from that era who was of almost identical height and weight to Messi and was probably tackled more than most "had great longevity" isn't doing your argument much good either.
(and no Pele and the rest didn't learn to cope with those tackles in some magical way so that they could prevent impact injures like no modern player could ever do either)
Pele was 2-3 inches taller and more well built as well.

DM came to Barca, was not able to win a title there but still won some cups and had to deal with the culture shock, disease and a horribly broken ankle.
It's also worth mentioning that Maradona never played an entire season (due to hepatitis and that ankle you mentioned), that's why he couldn't win a title

I can pretty easily. Cristiano Ronaldo has not scored a goal or registered an assist in the knockout rounds of the World Cup, despite playing in four tournaments. That doesn’t sound like the greatest player of all time to me......Piers Morgan is wrong, as usual
Messi also hasn't scored a goal in the KO stage. Neither of them can top Pele and Maradona.

Last edited:

Bogdannn

Personally I 100% agree with this. In a 200 m sprint you can easily determine who is the fastest of all time, but in 11 team game over more than a Century there are so many factors at play that I don't think you definitely say 1 player is the best of all time. Going by decades makes more sense too.
This is about who is the greatest, not who is the best, you people keep confusing the 2 accolades, they mean entirely different things.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
This is about who is the greatest, not who is the best, you people keep confusing the 2 accolades, they mean entirely different things.
For me the 2 things are the same in this context. It might not be for you.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
An awful lot of energy being spent on belittling some seriously amazing players. Its a bit pitiful really.

i know the World Cup is the most prestigious tournament and dream for all players to win. But IMO in the modern day a player that’s been doing it for the past 15 years every year in the CL knock out stages more than makes up for it.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Not a lot of shouts for Ronaldinho?

Entertainment and pure ability should count, no?

He also has a huge trophy cabinet and great stats. Sure his peak wasn't like the 2 present machines but they haven't even won a world cup amd neither have dominated an international tournament.

Yes I know Ronaldo won a euro but he didn't dominate at all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
GOAT in WC: Pele
GOAT in CL: Ronaldo
GOAT in domestic league: Messi
GOAT in terms of legacy: Maradona
GOAT in terms of stats/records: Ronaldo
GOAT in terms of peak (over a tournament): Maradona
GOAT in terms of peak (over a season): Messi
GOAT in terms of career achievements: Pele

Whichever you value higher from the above, would be your GOAT.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
I never watched Maradona and Pele so can't say. Messi and Ronaldo are great but they've both failed big-time in World Cup knockouts. If I try to think of a current player who has proven themselves in a domestic league, Champions League, and on the International state, there is only one guy that makes the grade - Sergio Ramos. He's won every single Champions League final, Euro Cup final, and World Cup final that he's played in - while playing a huge role in those wins. His overall record is 7-0 in those major finals. He's the Michael Jordan of football.

No, I'm not missing it because it's simply not true. Not every great player had a great WC, not even the selective few you mentioned. You're moving the goal posts in a single line, IMO. But even if you didn't and what you said actually was true, it doesn't mean much because your argument is still illogical. It may be appealing to many but it is illogical, no matter how you put it.
Are you sure they didn't have great tournaments?

Pele - 1958, 1970 - Best young player in 1958, best player in 1970
Maradona - 1986 - nothing more to be said here
Muller - 1972, 1974 - Golden Boot in both
R9 - 2002 - Golden Boot, Silver Ball and Ballon D'or
Garrincha - 1962 - Golden Boot and Ballon D'or
Platini - 1984 - Top scorer, Player of the Tournament, and won the Ballon D'or off the back of it
Cruyff - 1974 - known as 'his' tournament and got the Ballon D'or for it
Beckenbauer - 1974 - Captained them to the World Cup, and easily their best player
Zidane - 1998 - Ballon D'or for his final performance

Notice how the achievements get less impressive as the list goes on. Where does Messi, with no wins and no great finals performances fit in?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Are you sure they didn't have great tournaments?

Pele - 1958, 1970 - Best young player in 1958, best player in 1970
Maradona - 1986 - nothing more to be said here
Muller - 1972, 1974 - Golden Boot in both
R9 - 2002 - Golden Boot, Silver Ball and Ballon D'or
Garrincha - 1962 - Golden Boot and Ballon D'or
Platini - 1984 - Top scorer, Player of the Tournament, and won the Ballon D'or off the back of it
Cruyff - 1974 - known as 'his' tournament and got the Ballon D'or for it
Beckenbauer - 1974 - Captained them to the World Cup, and easily their best player
Zidane - 1998 - Ballon D'or for his final performance

Notice how the achievements get less impressive as the list goes on. Where does Messi, with no wins and no great finals performances fit in?
See, football by design is much more affected by the factor luck than other popular sports. First of all, it's a low scoring game. It's not uncommon for a game to end with two, one or even zero goals scored. From a mathematic point of view, this makes it very prone to statitical noises. In basketball games for example, we observe more than 100 scoring events, in football less than three. On top of that, football is way less structured than sports like basketball or American football. You have a very huge field, relatively few interruptions and it is in general less controllable. In basketball for example, you have seven players who find themselves in very similar situations after every change of possession. in fooball, you have indefinitely more different combinations, formations and thus situations in which the teams can find themselves. Which is why the best systems aim at constantly bringing their best players in situations in which they can outplay their biggest strengthes. And that's what I mean: When you compare the Messi under Guardiola, the cuurrent Messi and the Messi for Argentina, what you'll primarily notice is that he simply finds himself in far less often in these situations. It's not as if he screwed up chances for Argentina or as if his dribbling or passing was off, the whole team was never as structured or controlled games to the same extent as Barcelona did. A telling little fact in this context is that at the time Cristiano Ronaldo scored 70+ goals in one season, he achieved that by having more than twice as much shots as the second and third best scorer of that season. In that context, it's worth a mentioning that international teams are usually less drilled than their club equivalents so international football is probably even more prone to luck.

And that's only football in general. The issue with only using the WC as a measuring stick is that knockout competitions amplify all this by an unknown factor. Humans aren't machines. Even someone like Messi who's so consistent in his decision making that at one point it was speculated he might have authistic tendencies sometimes plays a dumb pass or makes an unordinary decision in general. We call that day form or whatever. This is why performances of even the best teams and players vary to a certain degree and why we sometimes we witness even the absolutely best teams having inexplicable blackouts. In a league competition, that evens out. In a knockout competition, you have to have enough luck that such a day doesn't occur. That's what every great player and coach means when they say you need luck to win the CL while results even out in a league competition. And the WC is of an even more unforgiving nature since it's only one game per knockout duel. So even if you're by far the best team in the world and go in each duel with a probability of 80% to go through, it's still unlikely you win the whole thing (0.8*0.8*0.8*0.8=40,96%).

So it's totally illogical to base who should be deemed the greatest of all time on a competition which is so heavily influenced by luck. And it shows with you list, which reads nicely from a superficial perspective. But in all honesty, I still believe its very superficial. First, there are many better players who don't show up, such as di Stefano, Best, Puskas, Zico or Laudrup. I also think R9's 1998 was better than his 2002. And having seen every available piece of footage of Garrincha, I believe he's one of the most overrated players in history.

What I do instead is I watch the player and try to blend out expectations. And what I see is that Messi's 2014 WC was incredibly good, even if the goals werent there. I wonder if you ever bothered rewatching his individual highlights from every game. Can only recommend you, I believe it might change your perception. I'd also say he was the best player on the pitch in the WC final.

You can also roll it out the other direction, by the way. If what you said was true and the best players win the WC, then there are multiple teams who had absolutely no right to win the whole thing. Germany, Spain, Italy since 2002. which had great teams but clearly no Ballon D'Or contenders (I don't count Cannavaro).

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
An awful lot of energy being spent on belittling some seriously amazing players. Its a bit pitiful really.
Indeed. I guess it’s common in debates but brilliant and world class talents get belittled fo nothing more than cloggers who got lucky :lol:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
neither have lots of very good players, I'm sure. It helps if you play for a Brazil side (for instance) that is pretty much unstoppable compared with a fairly ordinary Portugal side - and when oppositions are much strongly throughout the world than they used to be. Did Gordon Banks keep many clean sheets in World Cup games? No. But don't tell me he wasn't way way better than that fool Barthez. Footballers bread and butter is club football

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
See, football by design is much more affected by the factor luck than other popular sports. First of all, it's a low scoring game. It's not uncommon for a game to end with two, one or even zero goals scored. From a mathematic point of view, this makes it very prone to statitical noises. In basketball games for example, we observe more than 100 scoring events, in football less than three. On top of that, football is way less structured than sports like basketball or American football. You have a very huge field, relatively few interruptions and it is in general less controllable. In basketball for example, you have seven players who find themselves in very similar situations after every change of possession. in fooball, you have indefinitely more different combinations, formations and thus situations in which the teams can find themselves. Which is why the best systems aim at constantly bringing their best players in situations in which they can outplay their biggest strengthes. And that's what I mean: When you compare the Messi under Guardiola, the cuurrent Messi and the Messi for Argentina, what you'll primarily notice is that he simply finds himself in far less often in these situations. It's not as if he screwed up chances for Argentina or as if his dribbling or passing was off, the whole team was never as structured or controlled games to the same extent as Barcelona did. A telling little fact in this context is that at the time Cristiano Ronaldo scored 70+ goals in one season, he achieved that by having more than twice as much shots as the second and third best scorer of that season. In that context, it's worth a mentioning that international teams are usually less drilled than their club equivalents so international football is probably even more prone to luck.

And that's only football in general. The issue with only using the WC as a measuring stick is that knockout competitions amplify all this by an unknown factor. Humans aren't machines. Even someone like Messi who's so consistent in his decision making that at one point it was speculated he might have authistic tendencies sometimes plays a dumb pass or makes an unordinary decision in general. We call that day form or whatever. This is why performances of even the best teams and players vary to a certain degree and why we sometimes we witness even the absolutely best teams having inexplicable blackouts. In a league competition, that evens out. In a knockout competition, you have to have enough luck that such a day doesn't occur. That's what every great player and coach means when they say you need luck to win the CL while results even out in a league competition. And the WC is of an even more unforgiving nature since it's only one game per knockout duel. So even if you're by far the best team in the world and go in each duel with a probability of 80% to go through, it's still unlikely you win the whole thing (0.8*0.8*0.8*0.8=40,96%).

So it's totally illogical to base who should be deemed the greatest of all time on a competition which is so heavily influenced by luck. And it shows with you list, which reads nicely from a superficial perspective. But in all honesty, I still believe its very superficial. First, there are many better players who don't show up, such as di Stefano, Best, Puskas, Zico or Laudrup. I also think R9's 1998 was better than his 2002. And having seen every available piece of footage of Garrincha, I believe he's one of the most overrated players in history.

What I do instead is I watch the player and try to blend out expectations. And what I see is that Messi's 2014 WC was incredibly good, even if the goals werent there. I wonder if you ever bothered rewatching his individual highlights from every game. Can only recommend you, I believe it might change your perception. I'd also say he was the best player on the pitch in the WC final.

You can also roll it out the other direction, by the way. If what you said was true and the best players win the WC, then there are multiple teams who had absolutely no right to win the whole thing. Germany, Spain, Italy since 2002. which had great teams but clearly no Ballon D'Or contenders (I don't count Cannavaro).
You have a lot of valid points there but also unwittingly introduce the very thing about international tournaments that, to many of us, makes all the difference when defining the greatest (not best, as someone pointed out).

"international teams are usually less drilled than their club equivalents so international football is probably even more prone to luck"

I'd argue it has little to do with luck and a lot more to do with the ability to rise above everyone else, precisely when there's less drilling and structure in place. More so pre-FIFA dates and regular two-week camps, which only came about in the last 20 years.

International tournaments always, invariably, separated fact from fiction. Sure, you will miss out on Spencer, Best, Giggs, and others. There will also be outliers like Schillaci, but truly great players always performed well at World Cups. The system often changed, the teammates certainly did, yet the greats shone brightly regardless.

I've mentioned before how unfortunate it was for Michel Platini that Maradona had THAT 1986 tourno. His performance at the 1984 Euros was incredible, it came amid a run of three consecutive Ballon d'Ors and Serie A top scorer, he was on course to be the undisputed European GOAT and just needed that World Cup in 1986 to maybe even challenge Pelé. It was meant to be his final coronation... yet Diego had other plans. He hardly even gets a mention these days when, to me at least, it's between him, Cruyff and Beckenbauer as European GOAT.

It was a pretty brutal fall from grace, so not unfair at all on Messi to get similar treatment.

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
neither have lots of very good players, I'm sure. It helps if you play for a Brazil side (for instance) that is pretty much unstoppable compared with a fairly ordinary Portugal side - and when oppositions are much strongly throughout the world than they used to be. Did Gordon Banks keep many clean sheets in World Cup games? No. But don't tell me he wasn't way way better than that fool Barthez. Footballers bread and butter is club football
None of this is an excuse, there have been many players who have played for weaker sides and less fancied nations than Portugal and managed to score goals or get assists in the KO rounds of the World Cup. He just hasn’t been very good in the World Cup. It’s ok to admit it.

I’m not sure why you bring up Gordon Banks and Barthez as that’s not relevant to what is being discussed. For starters, Barthez played more WC games than Banks, but Banks still kept a lot of clean sheets in 66 and 70. But again, that has no bearing on the point I was making.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Messi is 168 cm tall, Pele was around 174 cm tall.
Messi is 170cm tall unless Barca's own website and the vast majority of the results on google are lying to me.

According to who you want to believe Pele was either 172,173 or 174cm tall when he was active. So he's at best 4cm taller, and I'm going to drop this now since CR7 debunks the original argument anyway and I feel like I've already made 5 comments too many on this subject.