The Guardian

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
"Pumpkin spice latte misogyny" might be the most Guardian phrase that has ever been written down. That's impressive.
I was honestly on the verge of buying a pumpkin spice oat milk the other day but went with my barrista oat milk for my coffee in the morning. The very idea whether it was sexist or not went over my head. But im a man so it would.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
In these cases why are they anti-plane? Especially to Naples

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...ng-city-breaks-in-europe-from-ghent-to-naples

Six perfect unsung city breaks in Europe – from Ghent to Naples

No famous capitals, fewer tourists, loads to see, excellent food – and all a train ride away

Naples: Get there
Eurostar from London, then an overnight train from Paris to Milan. The high-speed Frecciarossa train from Milan to Naples takes five hours

Freiburg Get there
Trains operated by Eurostar, TGV Lyria and Deutsche Bahn connect Freiburg to London in under seven hours.

Alicante Get there
Eurostar to Gare du Nord, and transfer to Gare du Lyon for a train to Barcelona Sants. From Barcelona Nord there is a direct train to Alicante

Bert_

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...ng-city-breaks-in-europe-from-ghent-to-naples

No famous capitals, fewer tourists, loads to see, excellent food – and all a train ride away

Eurostar from London, then an overnight train from Paris to Milan. The high-speed Frecciarossa train from Milan to Naples takes five hours

Freiburg Get there
Trains operated by Eurostar, TGV Lyria and Deutsche Bahn connect Freiburg to London in under seven hours.

Alicante Get there
Eurostar to Gare du Nord, and transfer to Gare du Lyon for a train to Barcelona Sants. From Barcelona Nord there is a direct train to Alicante
HS1 cnuts

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Step One - make shit up
Step Two - state that it's offensive
Step Three - disable comments to prevent any sort of debate

That's pretty much The Guardian nowadays.
:lol: Not that there's any shortage of articles meeting your description on there, but I think this one was supposed to be light-hearted. She's actually a pretty good, amusing columnist imo.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Long-serving Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell has been sacked by the newspaper in a row over a drawing he created of Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu.

The cartoon, featuring Netanyahu operating on his own stomach, showed a cut in the outline of the Gaza Strip.

Bell said the cartoon was spiked after a phone call from the paper suggested it may reference Shakespeare's Shylock's "pound of flesh" line.

He said it was inspired by a 60s cartoon of President Lyndon B Johnson.

Writing on X, Bell said he submitted the image earlier this month and "four hours later... I received an ominous phone call from the desk with the strangely cryptic message 'pound of flesh'..."

Bell said he responded: "I'm sorry, I don't understand," and the reply from the desk was: "Jewish bloke; pound of flesh; antisemitic trope."

Moneylender Shylock, from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, is considered to be one of the most notorious Jewish stereotypes in English literature due to his greedy nature.
In the Bard's famous play, Shylock asks for a pound of Antonio's flesh if a loan isn't repaid within three months.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67122609

Will miss his illustrations. Seems like the cartoon was rejected and then he released it anyway - complaining about the decision at the same time - so the Guardian have decided not to renew his contract.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I've always sort of liked Bell's illustrations too.

The cartoon in question (allegation is it's a callback to Shylock and the pound of flesh):

For his part Bell denied any such connotation and claimed to have instead been inspired by this cartoon of Lyndon B. Johnson:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

The cartoon in question (allegation is it's a callback to Shylock and the pound of flesh):

For his part Bell denied any such connotation and claimed to have instead been inspired by this cartoon of Lyndon B. Johnson:

Shylock was never planning to take the pound of flesh from himself anyway, plus he even notes which work it's inspired by near Netanyahu's waistline. However, Bell has been in trouble a couple of times for complaining publicly about The Guardian rejecting some of his work so I imagine they just got tired of him revealing details about their internal processes.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Shylock was never planning to take the pound of flesh from himself anyway. However, Bell has been in trouble a couple of times for complaining publicly about The Guardian rejecting some of his work so I imagine they just got tired of him revealing details about their internal processes.
Yeah I reckon it's a pretty tenuous accusation. Scary timing though. Might be 'cause they think he's a knob. Might be the messages from on high aimed at rooting out all forms of expression that can even obliquely appear antisemitic. Might be expediently using the latter because it's the former.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

Freiburg Get there

Alicante Get there
I've been to Ghent and I know people that have been to Naples and there are no positive words to describe either of them.

Mike Smalling

‘The fractures are often heralded by an audible crack, followed by severe pain, rapid loss of erection and severe swelling and bruising. “When [patients] present to their doctor their penis often looks like an eggplant,” Pyrgides said.’

Merry Christmas.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Bump: going against the trend a bit.
One of my favourite ‘newspapers’ to get online. I contribute once in a while too.
I enjoy the Thursday quiz, when I remember to do it. There’s quite a community that do the quiz regularly, from the looks of it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Screenshot, have a feeling it might get deleted

T_Model101

Had a notification come up on the Guardian app today to say that the earthworm had been voted the "UK invertebrate of the year for 2024"....
Very useful to know