The Guardian

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Guardian said:
As an overworked perfectionist, ignoring wellness advice was the salve my soul needed

When the wheels come off, and your days become a gulag of deadlines and appointments and online “Are you stressed?” quizzes, you do what any self-respecting, middle-class woman does in this situation.

You hit Google for answers. You take your problems to the zaniest, maddest reaches of cyberspace – where wellness blogs with stock images of peonies and people with “daily practices” reside – and you grab at what you can find.

This is the situation I found myself in two months ago when a range of factors united spectacularly to turn me – a high-functioning adult with a pilates studio membership and a solid credit rating – into an overworked perfectionist on the fast-track to burnout.
Kill me.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Campbell's attempts to reform himself as this calm, jovial sage who is keen to address mental health problems etc is...bizarre to say the least. Considering the type of person he was while working with Blair's government.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was Tony Blair's spin doctor and a very shrewd political operator. The Labour hard left despise him. I think here they are specifically referring to the Iraq war (as usual) and the deception over it.
The irony being that if Corbyn is ever to have even the vaguest hope of becoming Prime Minister he is desperately in need of someone with a similar skillset to Alistair Campbell to help him with his campaign.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
He was Tony Blair's spin doctor and a very shrewd political operator. The Labour hard left despise him. I think here they are specifically referring to the Iraq war (as usual) and the deception over it.
Ah, I'm beginning to see the irony here.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Campbell's attempts to reform himself as this calm, jovial sage who is keen to address mental health problems etc is...bizarre to say the least. Considering the type of person he was while working with Blair's government.
I think I've already told this story before but I remember him giving a speech in Dundee to about 4-500 college students. As you can imagine the majority of us at that age thought he was a prick and were firmly against him when he came out to give his speech. The first couple of sentences he spoke were met with a hall filled with crossed armed, dead stared faces. The next sentence was a self deprecating joke, and there were a few laughs. The next was another self deprecating joke, and by then he had everyone in the room on his side. Looking back it was incredible how easy he had manipulated an entire audience.

The biggest test of this was at the Q&A when one student stood up and asked what everyone wanted to - about his horrible spin during the Iraq war and his (at the time) very strong allegations that he had been involved with the doctoring of evidence. Nearly everyone groaned and a lot of people started shouting at the guy to sit down. Campbell just raised his hands and said something along the lines of "now, now, I understand everyone's hesitance but the gentlemen has a right to an answer. I would love to meet him after the event to discuss this further but I have been asked to only answer questions relating to business development for the Q&A. But I promise that we will talk after the event".

He never met the kid after the event.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think I've already told this story before but I remember him giving a speech in Dundee to about 4-500 college students. As you can imagine the majority of us at that age thought he was a prick and were firmly against him when he came out to give his speech. The first couple of sentences he spoke were met with a hall filled with crossed armed, dead stared faces. The next sentence was a self deprecating joke, and there were a few laughs. The next was another self deprecating joke, and by then he had everyone in the room on his side. Looking back it was incredible how easy he had manipulated an entire audience.

The biggest test of this was at the Q&A when one student stood up and asked what everyone wanted to - about his horrible spin during the Iraq war and his (at the time) very strong allegations that he had been involved with the doctoring of evidence. Nearly everyone groaned and a lot of people started shouting at the guy to sit down. Campbell just raised his hands and said something along the lines of "now, now, I understand everyone's hesitance but the gentlemen has a right to an answer. I would love to meet him after the event to discuss this further but I have been asked to only answer questions relating to business development for the Q&A. But I promise that we will talk after the event".

He never met the kid after the event.
Aye, it's a weird one, because as much as I'd probably agree with elements of his political philosophy, in isolation a fair few of the articles he's written for publications are, on the surface, generally quite decent - he makes plenty of fair points about Brexit, and while things have obviously gone awry now he was often fairly tempered (for what you'd expect) in his criticism of Corbyn.

But I remember reading one of his articles on mental health and stress and it just left me with a weird feeling - on the one hand, the arguments he was making were fair, and were clearly drawn from his own experience. But it was difficult to read through the piece without recalling the fact that while involved with government he was cited as someone who was a flat-out bully, a bit of a nasty person, and as a result someone who I'm fairly sure was probably incredibly detrimental to the mental health of plenty of people who were unfortunate to work alongside him. All because he was in a position of power and used that to assert himself to an extent that was probably much greater than necessary.

He's like the poster boy for someone who's clearly a cnut but who you'll probably agree with a lot. The anecdote above probably just about sums him up perfectly.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ever since their editor started clamping down on user comments being enabled on their articles the site has just become a hotbed for soapbox shouting. It used to have it's fair share of it before but at least they were willing to stand by what they said and accept that some people would want to debate/moan about it. Now it's pretty much just the text equivalent of "I'll say whatever I want and feck you for thinking I'm wrong".

Sweet Square

Ever since their editor started clamping down on user comments being enabled on their articles the site has just become a hotbed for soapbox shouting. It used to have it's fair share of it before but at least they were willing to stand by what they said and accept that some people would want to debate/moan about it. Now it's pretty much just the text equivalent of "I'll say whatever I want and feck you for thinking I'm wrong".
Which they'll then use in their next column to complain about the backlash they received. Its a soul destroyed circle jerk for everyone involved.

Although I think the biggest issue with the opinion pieces is that they rarely say anything of interest. Even the writers I like are pretty much saying the same stuff since 2016.

Sweet Square

Just your daily reminder that when it comes to political analysis this newspaper is waste of time

SteveJ

Scout
Guardian said:
We will classic rock you: when will the white guitarist conveyor belt end?

'Blinded By The Light' is, unavoidably, a feature-length eulogy to, and advertisement for, the Boss. Springsteen’s music accompanies the emotional beats, his lyrics are projected across the screen, and his contribution to humanity argued in the strongest possible terms (“Bruce is the direct line to all that’s true in this shitty world”). If you don’t agree, you’re basically on the side of the skinhead racists and the conservative Muslim parents.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The Guardian currently has an article about a strong smell of sick at a tube station ON THE FRONT PAGE of it's website. They may as well rename it The London Guardian.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The Guardian currently has an article about a strong smell of sick at a tube station ON THE FRONT PAGE of it's website. They may as well rename it The London Guardian.
Never really use Kenningon, but Waterloo nearly always reeks of sick when you change lines there.

SteveJ

Scout
:lol: Old white dudes strike again.

SteveJ

Scout
Guardian said:
Landmarks in modern snacking

After decades of rectangular flapjacks and cereal bars, Bounce introduces the world to the spherical protein hit.

Graham Bosher, a former executive at DVD subscription service LoveFilm, launches Graze, sending parcels of fresh fruit through the post. It moves into nuts and dried fruit after consumers complain about slices of pineapple sitting on their doormats.

Joe & Seph’s, a gourmet popcorn brand inspired by Garrett Popcorn Shops in Chicago, launches in Selfridges. Sold in clear plastic pouches (to prove there are no unpopped kernels), its bestselling flavour is salted caramel, followed by goat’s cheese.

Mondelez, the giant American parent company of Cadbury, introduces BelVita into Britain, claiming it is “the UK’s only specially designed breakfast biscuit”.

Lentil crisps become mainstream thanks to Cofresh, a leading Indian snack company based in the UK, starting the Eat Real brand, promising snacks that are gluten-free, vegan and free from all 14 declarable allergens.

Walkers, Britain’s biggest snack brand, introduces a new packaging format: Tear ’n’ Share bags, which turn into a bowl, aimed at consumers who want to stay in, watch TV and “snack socially”.

Prime bars, made from 80% British beef and mixed with either apricot and sage, or chilli and red pepper, are marketed at ultra-marathon runners or those on keto or paleo diets, kickstarting a boom in meat snacks.

Popped lotus seeds, a popular snack in India and China, hits the UK market thanks to the Nuto brand. The market research company Mintel predicts they will become “the new popcorn”. Many other brands have followed.

Daniel Pawson, inventor of Sea Chips, crisps made from salmon skin, appears on the BBC’s Dragons’ Den. The company had sold 3,000 bags of the product. He turned down an offer of investment, but the publicity secured him a listing in Sainsbury’s, and he now makes 10,000 packets a day.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Campbell was just doing his job, he wasn’t as nasty as is made out. I’ve met him before and he’s quite humble and seems to have conscience. Peter Mandelson on the other hand..

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Campbell was just doing his job, he wasn’t as nasty as is made out. I’ve met him before and he’s quite humble and seems to have conscience. Peter Mandelson on the other hand..
Well...yeah, that was kind of the point I'm making. Part of his success comes from the fact that despite his nasty reputation he's good at selling himself and at coming across as rational and reasonable when he wants to.

But by all accounts his spell in New Labour involved him being a bit of a cnut and bully to most people he was around. To suddenly rally against that kind of culture when you were exactly the type of person who perpetuated it in the first place is obviously going to come across as a cynical move from someone looking to reform himself as a wisened sage and calm voice of reason.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Well...yeah, that was kind of the point I'm making. Part of his success comes from the fact that despite his nasty reputation he's good at selling himself and at coming across as rational and reasonable when he wants to.

But by all accounts his spell in New Labour involved him being a bit of a cnut and bully to most people he was around. To suddenly rally against that kind of culture when you were exactly the type of person who perpetuated it in the first place is obviously going to come across as a cynical move from someone looking to reform himself as a wisened sage and calm voice of reason.
I met him with a Dutch colleague of
mine in a hotel lobby in Dumfries of all places about 8 years ago. He had his gloves down and we chatted away for an hour or 3 whilst watching some footy. He was tea total and we had a few beers. When you have a party as broad and diverse as the Labour Party I can imagine it’s tough to get everyone to toe the party line. Like a teacher giving an unruly class a hard time in order to keep authority. But he seemed a decent & moderate sort, certainly nothing like this psychopath Cummings.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Awful
Don't mean to be "that" dickhead but his government was responsible for forcing thousands of disabled British citizens off of their benefits through cnuts like Atos and Maximus or whatever the feck kind of aggressive name they had. It also looks like that Tweeter didn't read the whole sentence.

SteveJ

Scout
Typical - why are there no female Basil Brushes in government, eh?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Typical - why are there no female Basil Brushes in government, eh?
Was Basil even male? Not being funny but I never remember them being referred to as him. I mean, sure, I haven't done any research into it whatsoever but that's not going to stop me from shouting out my opinion on the subject.