The Guardian

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Yeah extreme lefty was probably a tad harsh. In comparision to the other British papers it's definitely lefty leaning though that's not necessarily a bad thing.
The most extreme you get at the Guardian is Jessica Valenti, who is bloody awful. How she managed to get a job there I'll never know, shits on all the good work the better journalists (and better feminist journalists) do over there.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This week in the Guardian: 'Stop laughing at Madonna, you bastards - she's better than God.'

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
There was an article about a sex story written by amateur women writers. It was really nasty and pretty much tore apart their writing. I felt that was unnecessarily harsh. Can't paste the URL because of a stupid bug on the Caf, but the headline is "In the mood for love? You won't be after reading this" by Zoe Williams. I'd like to know what the Caf thinks about that.

The Mitcher

This week in the Guardian: 'Stop laughing at Madonna, you bastards - she's better than God.'
God does like a virgin.
:lol:

There was an article about a sex story written by amateur women writers. It was really nasty and pretty much tore apart their writing. I felt that was unnecessarily harsh. Can't paste the URL because of a stupid bug on the Caf, but the headline is "In the mood for love? You won't be after reading this" by Zoe Williams. I'd like to know what the Caf thinks about that.
There was on article by some journalist complaining about women wearing cute hats, because apparently it makes them look childish and like little girls and they should look mature and womanly! Seriously, some people like to wear cutesy kitschy things...

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal

The Mitcher

What a whiny idiot that journalist.

Anyway here's the link for the article I mentioned: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/13/erotic-short-story-womens-institute-mood-killer
As much as the erotic fiction is pretty shite, there's no need to be harsh and I don't understand why she's critiquing these amatuers as if they were proper published authors. What does she expect from oh I don't know...AMATEURS? Also why is it the people who complain about this are the people you wouldn't want to be in an erotic fiction or actual situation at all :lol:.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
As much as the erotic fiction is pretty shite, there's no need to be harsh and I don't understand why she's critiquing these amatuers as if they were proper published authors. What does she expect from oh I don't know...AMATEURS? Also why is it the people who complain about this are the people you wouldn't want to be in an erotic fiction or actual situation at all :lol:.
Not just that, that idiot actually concludes by saying they should stop wasting their time by trying to write and do something else instead. :lol: I mean, seriously? Talk about sitting on a fecking high horse. Anyone who wants to write should write. You don't like it, at least tell them how they can improve rather than tearing amateur writing to shreds. Horrible.

The Mitcher

Not just that, that idiot actually concludes by saying they should stop wasting their time by trying to write and do something else instead. :lol: I mean, seriously? Talk about sitting on a fecking high horse. Anyone who wants to write should write. You don't like it, at least tell them how they can improve rather than tearing amateur writing to shreds. Horrible.
As a man called Jason Murphy from a podcast I used to listen to once said: "feck those people who say you're shit and should stop, just keep going and improve and prove them them wrong". I am paraphrasing but the point still stands.

Just now I saw an article complaining about the banter that Madonna got for falling as "hateful". You know what her examples were? "#shefellover" and "#fallenmadonna", also it complains "she coulda hurt herself! she's 56 and in the prime of her life and a strong independent womaaaaan". I hate the guardian nowadays :lol: Jessica Valenti as mentioned before makes me want to tear my hair out and eat it for tea.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
There's plenty of good stuff on the Guardian. You'll find gimps at every newspaper.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
it really makes little sense to me that the guardian, for all it's excellent news, sports and entertainment coverage, insist on giving the most appalling writers space on their website/broadsheet.

Jessica Valenti being one of the absolute worst trolls around, most of the others aren't much better. There are definite exceptions... Marina Hyde being one that comes to mine. Honestly, how can a paper, once again, put out award winning journalism, pieces by the likes of Hyde and then right next to it put out out shit like Valenti?

Silva

Nothing wrong with that. Anne Robinson saying the sentence "The one rubbing the clitoris might as well be pounding pastry" and a call for better sex education. What's not to like?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I guess the irony of her now defending them from being defended is lost on her. What an idiotic article.

The Mitcher

Nothing wrong with defending people, I can understand as a minority myself not wanting people's protection, but when there's someone being a bully its not a problem for me to accept help from a stranger.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
There was a similar article in The Age (Melbourne's slightly left leaning paper) about the same thing. The gist seemed to be if you defend someone, don't speak for them, just speak out at the offender.

The Mitcher

There was a similar article in The Age (Melbourne's slightly left leaning paper) about the same thing. The gist seemed to be if you defend someone, don't speak for them, just speak out at the offender.
The woman in the video was basically doing that. That Guardian article was full of conjecture and assumption, we don't know why the muslim couple didn't say anything, maybe they didn't want to. Who knows, but to say don't help your fellow citizen because its "patronising" is just stupid. Its embarassing these people are fellow liberals/lefty's.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
The woman in the video was basically doing that. That Guardian article was full of conjecture and assumption, we don't know why the muslim couple didn't say anything, maybe they didn't want to. Who knows, but to say don't help your fellow citizen because its "patronising" is just stupid. Its embarassing these people are fellow liberals/lefty's.
I haven't seen the video but the article here (written by a woman of middle eastern background) took issue with the lady explaining why the hijab was been worn and speaking over the top of the couple. It didn't advocate not helping, just not speaking for.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
It's an awful student rag, the journalism is terrible from what i've read, albeit not that much in recent years.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Nothing wrong with defending people, I can understand as a minority myself not wanting people's protection, but when there's someone being a bully its not a problem for me to accept help from a stranger.
The argument was that the woman was bellowing her defence of the couple and the Asian bloke tried to speak out but gave up cos no-one could hear him.
It wasn't as if the woman said to the bloke 'do you mind, can you let me finish' to the Asian bloke tbf. As ever with these things, if people feel they'll be demonised for intervening, fewer will. Not sure that's the outcome anyone wants tbh.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
This actually kind of reminds me of an episode the other week. A mate and I were discussing old colleagues and ended up reminiscing about black Natalie. His fiancee was horrified by her nickname and wasn't assuaged when we explained that it differentiated her from Scottish Natalie and blond Natalie, who were all on the same (8-strong) team. We said it as we saw it. Adjectives can cause grief.

HabeasC

It's an awful student rag, the journalism is terrible from what i've read, albeit not that much in recent years.
The Guardian does sometimes go a bit far when it comes to taking offence. However, it is far better than the right wing rags like the Daily 'immigrants will cause you cancer' Mail, The 'Katie Hopkins' Sun and The 'HSBC tax fraud concealing' Telegraph.

Of all of the major, mainstream newspapers, the right wing ones are overwhelmingly guilty of misusing science and statistics. (http://www.badscience.net/)

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The Guardian has in the past few years broken the NSA/GCHQ/Snowden thing, and they've done quite a few exposes on tax avoidance.
However bad the articles that fill their daily stupid/outrageous quota are, that level of reporting is above any other major paper. And some of their columnists are great, including football.