The Guardian

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
They've put out some horrendous stuff, of late. I think they deserve a thread to showcase the worst and I couldn't fine one...

The current 'most read' on their website is a piece by Suzanne Moore called "10 rules for managing your penis".

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/07/10-rules-managing-penis-sexting-wine-toaster

It's offensive crap. Deliberately offensive crap. Taking the Mail Online route of preferring controversy to decent journalism as it gets more traffic. Hopefully articles like this are sufficiently damaging to their reputation that the hits they notch up won't be worth it in the long run.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I like the way rape, is nicely in the middle of the list of things not to do, not as bad as pissing against a wall, obviously.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's deliberately offensive as it was done with the intention to be amusing, but she is shit at it.

DOTA

I think I'd be a lot more likely to dismiss it as dismal attempt at humour had she not included rape in her list of amusing things men shouldn't do with their penis.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
There was some shit in the Daily Heil yesterday about how middle-aged husbands are failing their wives and offering advice to the women on how to whip their husbands into shape.

Absolute cnuts.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think I'd be a lot more likely to dismiss it as dismal attempt at humour had she not included rape in her list of amusing things men shouldn't do with their penis.
I'd have thought that was her trying too hard to be controversially funny. Tbh, you could probably class this as trolling, so how is the internet supposed to combat them when papers which are 'respected' have journalists writing shit like this.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
jsut read through the list and either change some of the words to Suzanne Moore or add her name to some the suggestions.

Don't involve Suzanne Moore in sexting. . Do not ever put your penis into Suzanne Moore. Do use your penis to urinate all over Suzanne Moore in public. Do not name your penis Suzanne Moore.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
2) Do not neglect your penis. I am talking hygiene. Women are subjected to pharmacy aisles full of fresheners, wipes and sprays that encourage us to believe that without them our genital area is just a smelly, slimy mess, but there is no equivalent for men. Surely there is a gap in the market for products to encourage men to stay boxfresh under their boxers. And if they must encase themselves so prominently in Lycra and skinny jeans in this weather … something has to be done. Urgently.

This is good advice. I am told.

Edit: It's a ridiculously shit article.

WeasteDevil

They've put out some horrendous stuff, of late. I think they deserve a thread to showcase the worst and I couldn't fine one...

The current 'most read' on their website is a piece by Suzanne Moore called "10 rules for managing your penis".

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/07/10-rules-managing-penis-sexting-wine-toaster

It's offensive crap. Deliberately offensive crap. Taking the Mail Online route of preferring controversy to decent journalism as it gets more traffic. Hopefully articles like this are sufficiently damaging to their reputation that the hits they notch up won't be worth it in the long run.
The Guardian usually doesn't do anything more than offend conservative wankers. Welcome!

StuCol

Chimp
I like the way rape, is nicely in the middle of the list of things not to do, not as bad as pissing against a wall, obviously.

I once saw an ad in a pub toilet reminding people not to rape. I was actually shocked.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
alastair said:
Awful, awful newspaper, aimed at the thick and students or both.
Hey, I read the Guardian!

*phone rings*

There's someone at the door...

Agent Red

Used to read the Guardian but a lot of their political stuff is factually inaccurate or a completely unbalanced, so I don't find myself reading it anymore.

Still rate The Observer very highly though, they have a stronger and broader range of writers.

alastair

ignorant
Students don't pay for it. They leave it for free outside university campuses.

It's not that bad. The amount of articles about inane things to do with the state are annoying but I guess if you're into that kind of thing, go for it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They allowed serial chancer Louise Mensch to write for them recently, the click-hungry twits. Unforgivable.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Students don't pay for it. They leave it for free outside university campuses.
Didn't know that. At the moment I pick up a free Times and Financial Times on trains every now and then. The Financial Times is actually very good, which won't surprise a cockney like you, but it's virtually unread in the North. I couldn't believe it's circulation when I saw it.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
'10 things to do with your Vagina' written by a man would have quite a different tone I reckon.

DOTA

The Guardian usually doesn't do anything more than offend conservative wankers. Welcome!
:lol:

I think this is the first time in my life I've been accused of being a Tory!

I didn't make this thread because I have an agenda against the Guardian. It's the only paper I have any respect for. I expect it to put out better articles than this and others I've seen lately, is all.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Comment is free has always been full of drivel and stupid articles that are nothing more than unsubtle attempts to get more hits through controversy or the inane. Nothing new there. The actual news sections tend to be of a good standard though, but any newspaper website is always going to be looking for more hits and more publicity, none of them are above that. And articles like that are a good way to get them, I wonder what the percentage of Daily Mail hits are from people linking it around in outrage or disbelief for instance?

DOTA

Comment is free has always been full of drivel and stupid articles that are nothing more than unsubtle attempts to get more hits through controversy or the inane. Nothing new there. The actual news sections tend to be of a good standard though, but any newspaper website is always going to be looking for more hits and more publicity, none of them are above that. And articles like that are a good way to get them, I wonder what the percentage of Daily Mail hits are from people linking it around in outrage or disbelief for instance?
Very high, I'd imagine. I think an important difference is that the articles Mail Online puts out, that cause offense, aren't offending those who buy their papers. The Guardian's, however, seem to be doing.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's entirely possible that this was written purely for satires sake. Newspapers love to do this to have a laugh at the expense of those who don't get it, and with those that do. It's essentially an opinion blog piece and not much to do with the guardian proper.

This doesnt justify it. We can make the same excuses for the mail with their slightly racist, slightly sexist, very stupid peices.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
'10 things to do with your Vagina' written by a man would have quite a different tone I reckon.
1. Wash it
2. Wash it again.
3. Wash it at least twice a day, every day.
4. Dentists recommend flossing your teeth, why not your vagina?
5. Consent to having a penis placed inside of it, repeat as needed.
6. Wash it.
7. See a Broadway show.
8. Launch ping-pong balls from it.
9. Teach it to drive a Ferrari.
10. Wash it.

Let's have some recommends. :cool:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Click hungry, that's it precisely.

If they open comments on an article it means they are looking for clicks.

On our site, three comments equates to an extra ad impression and we need to meet a target, so I'm assuming they will be in the same boat. I wonder if they are below target and needed a bit of a kicker...

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Awful, awful newspaper, aimed at the thick and students or both.

yeh, and what?
So only the thick and students think that 1) breaking the News International phone hacking scandal and the Milly Dowler bit in particualr, that ended up in the closure of TNOTW, the highest circulation newspaper in the world, 2) breaking the news of the secret collection of Verizon telephone records held by Barack Obama's administration in June 2013, and 3) then revealing the existence of the PRISM surveillance program after it was leaked to the paper by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, are interesting and important stories?

Maybe the print is too small for you with too few pictures or stories on what bikini z list celebrities are wearing at the beach this year? You have to be a Mail reader in spirit at least. Pandering to your right wing prejudices without resort to evidence or fact.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
1. Wash it
2. Wash it again.
3. Wash it at least twice a day, every day.
4. Dentists recommend flossing your teeth, why not your vagina?
5. Consent to having a penis placed inside of it, repeat as needed.
6. Wash it.
7. See a Broadway show.
8. Launch ping-pong balls from it.
9. Teach it to drive a Ferrari.
10. Wash it.

Let's have some recommends. :cool:
Dwayne likes a clean dining surface by the sounds of things.

alastair

ignorant
So only the thick and students think that 1) breaking the News International phone hacking scandal and the Milly Dowler bit in particualr, that ended up in the closure of TNOTW, the highest circulation newspaper in the world, 2) breaking the news of the secret collection of Verizon telephone records held by Barack Obama's administration in June 2013, and 3) then revealing the existence of the PRISM surveillance program after it was leaked to the paper by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, are interesting and important stories?

Maybe the print is too small for you with too few pictures or stories on what bikini z list celebrities are wearing at the beach this year? You have to be a Mail reader in spirit at least. Pandering to your right wing prejudices without resort to evidence or fact.

I wasn't really referring to the news content. It's the comment that's so annoying. There's no need to be quite so aggressive in every response to my posts.