The Guardian's top 100 male footballers in the world 2019 | Top 10 revealed

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
https://www.theguardian.com/global/...e-100-best-male-footballers-in-the-world-2019

71-100 out now.

How the voting works

• The No 1 choice of each judge was awarded 40pts, No 2 given 39pts, down to 1pt for their No 40 choice. All the votes were added together to give a raw score.
• To minimise the influence of outliers in the list, the highest score awarded to a player was then deducted to give a final score.
• A player needed to receive votes from at least five judges to qualify for the list.
• If players are level on points in the scoring, the number of individual votes cast is used as a tie-breaker.
• The individual voting breakdown will be published when the full list has been revealed.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I have yet to take a look, but am outraged about some players being ranked higher than others. Outraged I say!

Who would've expected Memphis would one day outrank Coutinho when they both still played in the prem.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I disagree with so many of these. Shame I am not the president of the universe and can dictate rankings, and avocado prices

led_scholes

These kind of lists are always awful. Why do they keep insisting on doing them..

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
[x] shit list
[x] strong PL bias
[x] hype is everything

same procedure as every year

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Up to 41 listed now. United's highest looks to be Pogba at #55

55. Paul Pogba
72. Marcus Rashford
93. David de Gea
Erling Haaland at 53 is....generous.

Christian Eriksen at 41.

Whoever made this list is drunk

Edit: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...e-100-best-male-footballers-in-the-world-2019

So there are 239 Former players, staff, and football journos who all vote and points are accumulated to bring the final list.

So that seems like a good sample size to yield a consensus.

Except that all 239 of them are in fact, drunk.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The Top 100 list doesn’t need to say ‘Male’. The women’s needs to only state ‘Women’s’.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I disagree with so many of these. Shame I am not the president of the universe and can dictate rankings, and avocado prices
No one man should have that much power.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Have no idea what the criteria is. If they are asking who played the best in 2019 then Delle Ali shouldn't even be there, let alone be above Marco Reus.

If it's the best players currently, then again Delle Ali shouldn't be above Marco Reus.

And also, Haaland at 53? Above Rashford and Werner? This is always a popularity contest with the latest hype going high.

Joao Felix will be in the top 40 :D

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Joao Felix will be in the top 40 :D
10 names left. Doesn't look like he's made it.

Top 10 looks sure to have:
Lionel Messi, Mo Salah, Sadio Mane, Alisson, Virgil van Dijk, Kylian Mbappe, Cristiano Ronaldo, Raheem Sterling, Robert Lewandowski and Frenkie de Jong in whatever order.

pacifictheme

Lionel Messi, Mo Salah, Sadio Mane, Alisson, Virgil van Dijk, Kylian Mbappe, Cristiano Ronaldo, Raheem Sterling, Robert Lewandowski and Frenkie de Jong in whatever order.
Hes 35th.

Paul_Scholes18

What is De Gea doing on that list after the year he has had. He is only on that list by name. If they want to put one of our players there they could have gone with Mctominay or even James, Maguire or Lindelöf if they wanted.

Lukaku pretty high up too. He has done alright for Inter though and had a few good games for us. Still I would put Rashford above him.

He is above Haaland too so we should bring him back instead I guess ;).

Eddy_JukeZ

Joao Felix is 35th. You must have missed him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I always criticise those top 5, top10 or best XI lists because they aren't that difficult to do to anyone who watches football regulary, but writing 100 best footballers you have seen last year - in order, must be really difficult thing to do. Except when you don't have a clue about football and just write random names next to 10.-100. numbers like they did there.

Paul_Scholes18

I always criticise those top 5, top10 or best XI lists because they aren't that difficult to do to anyone who watches football regulary, but writing 100 best footballers you have seen last year - in order, must be really difficult thing to do. Except when you don't have a clue about football and just write random names next to 10.-100. numbers like they did there.
Yeah it is really hard to compare different leagues. They got a few players from leagues outside europe which I think few follows. Mostly they have gone for big names and players having been hyped.
Like Valverde is not on the list, but Modric and Kroos are. No Mctominay from us, but Pogba is on the list even if he has been out injured for a long time and ended last season poorly.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Up to 41 listed now. United's highest looks to be Pogba at #55

55. Paul Pogba
72. Marcus Rashford
93. David de Gea
DDG too low, Rashford too low (odd that I am saying that, but true), Pogba too high.

SER19

The top 100 male footballers are the top 100 footballers. Strange to need to make the distinction,should only be needed in a list that is selective. But it is the guardian.

fps

The men are the best. The women are the best of the women. Just how it is with most sports. The issues come when the average man then thinks that means they’re even deserving of being on a training ground with the top women.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
There needs to be a separate category for goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders and attackers.

Pointless to compare players of different positions like that

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
I relize i'm biased, but we're down to 11 and i see from FC Bayern 2 players, Kimmich and Coutinho (who has been like the 15th best player in the squad, all matches considered, and wasn't an epiphany at Barca last season either). I take it Lewa will be among the top 10, but apparently, some of Gnabry, Coman, Alaba, Hernandez, Süle, Thiago, Goretzka, Neuer didn't make the cut where Zlatan in his operetta league did :D.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I relize i'm biased, but we're down to 11 and i see from FC Bayern 2 players, Kimmich and Coutinho (who has been like the 15th best player in the squad, all matches considered, and wasn't an epiphany at Barca last season either). I take it Lewa will be among the top 10, but apparently, some of Gnabry, Coman, Alaba, Hernandez, Süle, Thiago, Goretzka, Neuer didn't make the cut where Zlatan in his operetta league did :D.
Gnabry is right next to Kimmich ;) At least Alaba and Coman should be in there somewhere though, agreed.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The most knee jerk top 100 from guardian. Ajax players rated way to highly over one semi final appearance and then getting knocked out in the group stages. Spurs players as well there despite being poor in the league for most of the year.

Or maybe that just says there aren't as many established quality players as compared to 6-7 years ago. Still establishing the best of the new batch of players.