The Handheld Gaming Thread

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Since there's doesn't seem to be enough handheld gamers on the Caf to make separate threads for upcoming (or already released) games, I figured I'd make this thread for news, discussions, videos etc... whether it be DS, 3DS, PSP, Vita or the retro ones.

(I know there's the 3DS vs PSP2 thread, but that doesn't cover it all and the focus seems to mostly be comparisons between the two)

Anyway, one game I'm currently waiting for is Aliens: Infestation, which is a Metroid style sci-fi, 2D side-scroller. It's already out here, but I'm waiting for the US version.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I used to have a PC Engine GT, loved it... :)

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
:lol: Definitely.

Well, as CS Lewis once said;

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Yep. Obviously having favourite genres, consoles etc is normal, but when it's stupid shit like that and people dismiss other games and criticize others for those reasons it's very annoying.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yep. Obviously having favourite genres, consoles etc is normal, but when it's stupid shit like that and people dismiss other games and criticize others for those reasons it's beyond annoying.
My personal favourite is in handheld threads on many forums. Those who criticise the DS/3DS are PSP owners citing casual gaming. The problem is it was Sony who invented and coined the phrase casual gaming with the PSX, it was also them who changed the playing field with shorter, easier games. It's worse nowadays with the invention of the internet though, because people are even more informed (whilst being misinformed at the same time via opinions rather than fact). Long gone are the times where the actual games were the things you judged.

Still, I couldn't care less about that, I just want to play games and I don't mind what system they are on as long as I'm entertained. Which is sadly something that is becoming harder and harder to be. A new Mario should cheer me up, though Galaxy 2 was depressingly devoid of challenge :(

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
My personal favourite is in handheld threads on many forums. Those who criticise the DS/3DS are PSP owners citing casual gaming. The problem is it was Sony who invented and coined the phrase casual gaming with the PSX, it was also them who changed the playing field with shorter, easier games. It's worse nowadays with the invention of the internet though, because people are even more informed (whilst being misinformed at the same time via opinions rather than fact). Long gone are the times where the actual games were the things you judged.
Luckily I'm not really a member of any forums like that anymore. Well, apart from here, but it's not too common.

Still, I couldn't care less about that, I just want to play games and I don't mind what system they are on as long as I'm entertained. Which is sadly something that is becoming harder and harder to be. A new Mario should cheer me up, though Galaxy 2 was depressingly devoid of challenge :(
I've never had too much trouble with the 3D Marios despite them being some of my favourite games. Grandmaster Galaxy in SMG2 took quite a few lives from me though :p

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Luckily I'm not really a member of any forums like that anymore. Well, apart from here, but it's not too common.
I still frequent a large range of forums and I often post reviews of games and hardware. It serves me because it's my biggest area of interest, but you get a lot of nutters :lol:

I don't bother so much here though, because this isn't what the forum is about and I don't want my opinion to influence people to spend their hard earned cash on flippant buys. Anyone with sense will go to a dedicated forum to learn a true unbiased opinion on a game, not listen to the fanboys with agendas.

I've never had too much trouble with the 3D Marios despite them being some of my favourite games. Grandmaster Galaxy in SMG2 took quite a few lives from me though :p
Mario64 was obviously a challenge at the time, because it was the first (and still greatest) of it's kind - an unknown really. It's not so much that though, even Galaxy 1 was much more tricky than the second without being hard as such. The last Zelda was depressingly similar too, though both are still great games.

Lance Uppercut

You want a challenge? Dark Souls. ;)

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I still frequent a large range of forums and I often post reviews of games and hardware. It serves me because it's my biggest area of interest, but you get a lot of nutters :lol:

I don't bother so much here though, because this isn't what the forum is about and I don't want my opinion to influence people to spend their hard earned cash on flippant buys. Anyone with sense will go to a dedicated forum to learn a true unbiased opinion on a game, not listen to the fanboys with agendas.
I'm on quite a few gaming forums, but ones specific to games or franchises etc rather than gaming in general. They seem to get less of those fanboys than you do on general gaming forums. Well, in my experience anyway.

Mario64 was obviously a challenge at the time, because it was the first (and still greatest) of it's kind - an unknown really. It's not so much that though, even Galaxy 1 was much more tricky than the second without being hard as such. The last Zelda was depressingly similar too, though both are still great games.
If this (SM3DL) is at least a bit harder than New Super Mario Bros then I'll be happy :D

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Currently playing Professor Layton and the Curious Village which arrived today, I missed out on it when it first came out for some reason. I love the music :D

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Had a Game Gear and an Atari Lynx.

Highlights on Game Gear - Sonic and Columns (wasted many an hour on that, much better than wanky Tetris).

Highlights on Atari Lynx - California Games (especially the surfing and BMX), and Rampage

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Does anyone have a retro handheld? Looking at the Anbernic RG351MP. I'm conscious that a new chipset series will be coming out soon though.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Had an Atari Lynx
Game Gear
Neo Geo Pocket
Original Game Boy non backlit
Gameboy Colour

Now have a Game Boy Micro
3DS XL
Switch Oled