Television The Handmaid's Tale

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Does anyone still watch this? It's on it's third season now and has moved well beyond where the book finished.

I'm not really sure where it'll end up but I think it's lost the shock factor it had in Season 1.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I gave up after four or five episodes of season 2.
The protagonist was being way too silly at that point and everything was dragged out in weird slow-mo sequences.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The last chapter of the book (or the epilogue rather) I think sort of implies that Offred helps bring down Gilead and so that seems to be direction that they are heading in.

I still watch it, the most interesting aspects are when we see things beyond Gilead and the international aspect of it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I dropped out somewhere near the end of season 2 as well. It seemed it was less and less interested in being the show I wanted it to be.

Maagge

It's also ridiculous that Elisabeth Moss is portraying Offred and is a member of scientology.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It is excellent. One of the best things on tv these days. Season 3 is building nicely with 4 episodes to go.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't think anyone wears pantaloons in the show.

Ir maybe they do and I don't know what panaloons are. Or want to.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I watch it with my wife and to be honest I've lost interest in it. It's too dark and dare I say anti-men.

Amir

It's watchable, but I don't feel it's leading anywhere - which isn't a great shock when after one good season (based on a book, which is no longer relevant) the creators already talk about doing ten seasons of this.

It's so much one step forward, one step back.

June escapes, June gets caught. June escapes again, June decides to go back ("I want season 3", her eyes say). Several times you think Serena is about to realise 'this isn't right and must be stopped', only to go back to her old ways. And of course, now, Serena allows June to take the baby. Serena wants the baby back.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I had less of a problem with how grim it was (as that really comes with the territory in a story like this) and more of a problem with how vapid it seemed to be becoming.

The show has the potential to look at a lot of interesting ideas but (as one review I read for season 3 said) seemed to be more interested in playing around with the aesthetics of #revolution than the idea of revolution itself. So heavier on slow-mo shots, looks of defiance from badass women and on-the-nose use of music to complement the music video aesthetic, lighter on ideas, clever plotting and believable character choices.

Maybe they turned it around in season 3 but that was definitely the direction it felt like it was drifting into in season 2. The early reviews fir S3 weren't promising enough to draw me back in though.

Amir

Maybe they turned it around in season 3 but that was definitely the direction it felt like it was drifting into in season 2. The early reviews fir S3 weren't promising enough to draw me back in though.
It did move, but not forward. Just sideways.

stepic

season 1 was pretty good. season 2 less so. i may give season 3 a go, didn't even realise it was out tbh. where is S3 televised in the UK?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Season 3 started well, took a mid season dip but now seems to be progressing well with 2 episodes left.

Jericholyte2

Season 3 started well, took a mid season dip but now seems to be progressing well with 2 episodes left.
My wife and I watch it religiously. Yes it’s grim and ‘hard’ to watch at times, but it makes the fleeting moments of happiness so impactful. Barely an episode goes by when one of us doesn’t end up in tears.

I must admit I was doubting season three but episode 11 really kicked things up a notch and it shows the quality of a show that when
Commander Waterford gets arrested both of us screamed out with joy! feck YEAH MOTHERfeckER!!!

Ban

Season 3 up until now was really slow and boring but episode 11 was great, what a twist of events!

AaronRedDevil

Just finished this today, brilliant season 3. A little fustrated about the ending though.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
There will be another season. Atwood has just been shortlisted for the Booker prize with a sequel.

I can't stand it.

It's misery TV.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There will be another season. Atwood has just been shortlisted for the Booker prize with a sequel.

I can't stand it.

It's misery TV.
I didn't think the sequel was out yet?

Atwood is great but this TV show ain't.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I didn't think the sequel was out yet?

Atwood is great but this TV show ain't.
Its called The Testaments and is due out 10th September. Amazon have already sent out some by mistake.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Just finished season 3 - it's a fecking grim watch, but I can't take my eyes of it as it is so beautifully shot nd produced.

What I don't get though is why is it snowing all year round, it seems that Gilead is stuck in some kind of eternal winter.

Camilo

I finished it recently and thought it was a bland, dull heap of shit. Drag it out and take their money writing.

All slow motion, all silly (lack of talent) artsy shots that mean nothing, zero substance. You just know that it'll peter out in a couple of series time having gone nowhere..

Maagge

I finished it recently and thought it was a bland, dull heap of shit. Drag it out and take their money writing.

All slow motion, all silly (lack of talent) artsy shots that mean nothing, zero substance. You just know that it'll peter out in a couple of series time having gone nowhere..
That's essentially how I felt halfway through season 2. What are they up to now?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Just finished episode 1 of series 4. Probably even better than previous seasons (that were really very good indeed) and only building. The way this is developing it will end up as good as Breaking Bad, The Wire or The Sopranos.

Edit: Episode 2 was also great. Hopefully building to a great ending.

Last edited:

The Firestarter

Just finished episode 1 of series 4. Probably even better than previous seasons (that were really very good indeed) and only building. The way this is developing it will end up as good as Breaking Bad, The Wire or The Sopranos.

Edit: Episode 2 was also great. Hopefully building to a great ending.
Only on S4Ep.1 but so far I find it a little bit weird, slight level drop compared to the previous seasons.

Amir

The first season was very good.

Since then, it feels like the quality-TV version of the Walking Dead. Plenty of shock value, events repeating themselves, and an attempt to get as many seasons out of it as possible rather than the story leading to some conclusion.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Episode S04E08

One of the best episodes of TV that I have seen in a while. This series is building to be the best to date.