Television The Haunting Of Hill House - Netflix Original

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Anyone watching this?

It's by Mike Flanagan, who directed films like Hush, Oculus, Ouija 2: Origin Of Evil and Geralds Game amongst others, so the man has a decent track record.

I'm quite enjoying it (6 eps in) but I have to say, not finding it scary at all. Most of the scare moments are simply jump scares ripped off from other movies.

Hopefully now that I'm at the mid-point, things will switch up a bit.

Nickosaur

Yeah starting watching this with the gf today - two episodes in and we've found it terrifying :lol:

Marcelinho87

Not in to scary things whatsoever and neither is the Mrs but we are going to start this tonight! Wish us luck.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Read so many positive things about this. I'm gonna give it a go tonight. It looks and sounds great.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Watching it now. I like the cinematography.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Fun fact. The woman playing the lesbian is the directors wife.

Can't wait to finish this tonight or tomorrow.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Watched all 10 episodes within a few days, it was engrossing, well written and kinda like it.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just finished it yesterday night. Ep.7 (I think that's the one) where it was done with minimal edit cuts was absolutely brilliant!

SSSSnake

It's on my list to watch... Is it any better then shows like American Horror?

Paxi

This is a really good show. I wouldn't say it's overly scary but it's certainly well done.

BBer13

quite gripping, it isn't the best show i've ever seen but it certainly makes you want to watch the next episode. The acting i found was very good.

Paxi

The lesbian girl in gloves is :drool:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
So apparently there's been hidden ghosts & creepy figures in the background all the way through this out of focus & in dark areas. I thought I saw one in episode 3 but thought I was just seeing something out of focus that looked like a figure and thought nothing more of it then I definitely caught sight of another one in episode 5 during the writing on the wall scene. Episode 6 there were only really obvious ones but in episode 7 I saw a statue moving it's head position between shots & a white haired woman twice down in the basement scenes. I don't know how many there has been but it'll make for a good second viewing. Still got episode 8-10 to watch so I'll be keeping an eye out

Tarrou

I like it, it has a lot more going for it than just the scary stuff. Characters are excellent.

I'm a bit over the "scary thing stood in the background" scare though, think they've overcooked that one

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
About to smoke a xxl joint and collapse on the couch with a horror show. Can't decide between this or Castle Rock.

buckooo1978

really enjoying this - just finished episode 5

nice balance between scares and plot - doesn't just go for the cheap scares

well cast and Theo is :drool:

SSSSnake

Saw episode one and the entire tone is brilliant. Decent acting and good cinematography. I'll be binge watching on Sunday with the Mrs.

Does anyone remember "The Haunting" With Catherine Zeta Jones, Liam Nelson and Owen Wilson?
The character names are all the same as this show!? Guessing it must have been based on the same story at Hill Top.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Question. Is it cheap jump scares or just unsettling stuff?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Saw episode one and the entire tone is brilliant. Decent acting and good cinematography. I'll be binge watching on Sunday with the Mrs.

Does anyone remember "The Haunting" With Catherine Zeta Jones, Liam Nelson and Owen Wilson?
The character names are all the same as this show!? Guessing it must have been based on the same story at Hill Top.
Anything with Owen Wilson is automatically shite.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Question. Is it cheap jump scares or just unsettling stuff?
There are jump scares in this but are well done & few and far between. It's mostly unsettling tension building type horror. Loads of times I was expecting a jump scare but nothing happened.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Just finished the series. Not been that satisfied with a new show for quite some while. Good stuff.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I don't see how that makes a difference. Its a horror tv show
Well it does make a difference. American horror story is shot like a TV show, whereas HoHH is shot more like a film. Thats the point. Not that theres wrong with either.

Tarrou

Finished it, very enjoyable. Probably my favourite horror tv or film.

shabz

Harrowing, emotional and scary. This was an amazing series that touched on many aspects of tragedy and how it effects everyone close to it. The family setting is something many can relate to and for a horror series to last 10 episodes without changing story is something to commended. It is well worth the watch.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not scary at all but I like it. Ages since I've seen a decent ghost story....

Utdstar01

Apparently the director of this is working on "The Shining" sequel too.

Hoof the ball

It's a true atmospheric horror in that it doesn't aim for cheap jump scares, but instead lets the tension hang for long periods, which is far worse. The anticipation is always more dreaded since it doesn't let you rest. Aside from the horror elements, it's actually an incredibly well written story, with a great theme, good acting, engaging characters and some excellent commentary on family relationships and healing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
For anyone who's seen the acclaimed 1963 film: how does this series compare?