Other "The History of Rome" - A Podcast by Mike Duncan

Hoof the ball

Absolutely superb. 179 fifteen minute episodes detailing the history of the Roman Empire from Remus and Romulus all the way to the sack of Rome by the barbarians.

Highly recommend this if you're looking for something intriguing to listen to.

Carthago Delenda Est!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He needs someone to sort his sound out. Needs some serious de-essing with his whistley speaking. Also background noise which becomes obvious when there’s an edit.

I might just be tired after a day at work, but it sounds way too ready outey, monotone and dull in the first ep too. Shame cos it’s a great subject. Does it improve?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What’s it about?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Thanks for the recommendation, love a history podcast.

Dan Carlin's are fantastic.

Hoof the ball

He needs someone to sort his sound out. Needs some serious de-essing with his whistley speaking. Also background noise which becomes obvious when there’s an edit.

I might just be tired after a day at work, but it sounds way too ready outey, monotone and dull in the first ep too. Shame cos it’s a great subject. Does it improve?
Yes, it very quickly improves. As is common, the first ten episodes are of lower quality, after which it becomes much improved.

Will give this a listen. Just bought SPQR by Mary Beard so this will go well alongside that.
It's a good book. A very general overview of the Republic era and a more extensive look into the emperor era to 200AD. Perfect if you just want the gist.

Does it have Zombies in it? Or time travel?
Better.....it has Tarquinius Superbus. You thought Joffrey was a bastard? Wait until you get a load of this guy. He's the reason they abolished kings in Rome.

Hoof the ball

Is he as good as Dan Carlin?
Mike Duncan's podcast is the good standard of historical narrative on the Roman Empire. Just a peruse of the Ancient Rome and AskHistorians reddit pages and it's the overwhelming favourite on the subject. Take that recommendation for what it's worth.

I'd love some shit like this for the Byzantine Empire.
There is one. The History of Byzantium is the natural successor to the Mike Duncan History of Rome podcast. Since Mike Duncan didn't finish with Byzantine era, Robin Pierson picked up where Mike Duncan left off. They are essentially companion podcasts.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Mike Duncan's podcast is the good standard of historical narrative on the Roman Empire. Just a peruse of the Ancient Rome and AskHistorians reddit pages and it's the overwhelming favourite on the subject. Take that recommendation for what it's worth.

There is one. The History of Byzantium is the natural successor to the Mike Duncan History of Rome podcast. Since Mike Duncan didn't finish with Byzantine era, Robin Pierson picked up where Mike Duncan left off. They are essentially companion podcasts.
Woohoo!!!

Edit: and the Hellenistic age (between Alexander the Great's death and rise of Rome probably). Two of my favorite eras in history

Hoof the ball

Woohoo!!!

Edit: and the Hellenistic age (between Alexander the Great's death and rise of Rome probably). Two of my favorite eras in history
You must have loved Assassins Creed Odyssey. :cool:

You will like this. A tablet was found with song lyrics and musical notes/arrangements dating back to 100bc in Greece. These guys did the hard work and recreated the instruments and the songs themselves. They then performed them.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's a great podcast. Starts out a bit wobbly, but gets better and better. Once you finish it, there's also his Revolutions podcast, which has so far done series on the English Civil War, American Revolution, French Revolution, Haitian Revolution, Spanish American wars of independence, July Revolution, Revolutions of 1848, the Paris Commune, the Mexican Revolution, and currently the Russian Revolution.

He's ten episodes into the latter, with many more to come. That will be the last series, though. Hopefully he does another history podcast after that, and doesn't just commit full-time to writing books.

Is he as good as Dan Carlin?
He's much better. Dan Carlin tells a better stories, but Mike Duncan goes into much greater depth. If you listen to a history podcast to learn history, Mike Duncan is the guy.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You must have loved Assassins Creed Odyssey. :cool:

You will like this. A tablet was found with song lyrics and musical notes/arrangements dating back to 100bc in Greece. These guys did the hard work and recreated the instruments and the songs themselves. They then performed them.

Yep. Bit before the Hellenistic Age, but I loved Steven Pressfield's treatment of the Peloponnesian War (historical fiction but still close to reality). That war (and the aftermath) usually takes a backseat to coverage of the Persian War before, and the rise of Macedon after, so it was refreshing to see a book (and game!) that brought that time to life beyond Thucydides' work.

Crazy that they were able to recreate Ancient Greek hymns. Some of it actually slaps.

Carolina Red

Staff
Absolutely superb. 179 fifteen minute episodes detailing the history of the Roman Empire from Remus and Romulus all the way to the sack of Rome by the barbarians.

Highly recommend this if you're looking for something intriguing to listen to.

Carthago Delenda Est!
I’ll second this. It is a fantastic podcast.

foolsgold

Did the first 13 of these at work today. Really enjoying it, thanks for the recommendation

jeff_goldblum

Definitely worth a listen all the way through, or you can dip in and out of the bits you're interested in. The similar History of England and History of Anglo-Saxon England podcasts are also very good, although the fella who does them might be an acquired taste for some.