The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I mean… You start evacuating for everything.

The thing went Hulk mode out of nowhere, and that’s seemingly becoming a trend for these things to do now.
I remember 2004 hurricane season when a couple of the storms to hit Florida underwent massively quick upgrades in severity, but those seemed like one offs. Like you said, they are fast becoming de rigueur.

Sadly, and this is what annoys me so much about climate change deniers, is that due to the warming of the oceans you now have higher humidity as well. So you have warmer water in the seas, lakes and rivers, warmer water and much more.of it in the air and hotter weather with sustained longer periods of heat too as well as more severe wet weather.

Put all those together and you have the equivalent of free pills and louder harder music in a rave environment for the weather. It's like you're off to a house and garage event and turn up to find out it's gabba techno.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Sadly, and this is what annoys me so much about climate change deniers, is that due to the warming of the oceans you now have higher humidity as well. So you have warmer water in the seas, lakes and rivers, warmer water and much more.of it in the air and hotter weather with sustained longer periods of heat too as well as more severe wet weather.

Put all those together and you have the equivalent of free pills and louder harder music in a rave environment for the weather. It's like you're off to a house and garage event and turn up to find out it's gabba techno.
It's just too much for their little brain to absorb.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

What a buzz kill that would be.

langster

Scout
It's just too much for their little brain to absorb.
I had a pretty big argument with a customer a few weeks ago. He was at the bar banging on about the climate change hoax and repeating the same old tired bollocks that they all do.

I politely pointed out to him that the area he was visiting is the highest fishing port in the UK and as an ex fisherman myself I had noticed huge changes, especially in the last 15 years or so.

We always had set seasons for lots of fish species, we especially mackerel and sprats. About 15 years ago the sprat boats started catching anchovies which had never been seen here before. Now there is a huge anchovy season that sits alongside the ever smaller sprat season.

To add to that following the anchovies came huge pods of dolphins chasing them up from warmer waters around Spain and Portugal. Now we have dolphin watch boats. We always had a few dolphins but now we regularly have super pods and they are here for 9 months of the year. To add to all that we have 30 seals in Brixham when we only ever had one or two and last year we had a huge bin lid jellyfish explosion and a few sightings of sea turtles that feed off them.

If all that wasn't enough, earlier this year Cornwall allowed the landing of Bluefin Tuna due to the exceptionally large numbers around the Cornish and Devon coasts now, which are obviously enjoying the warmer waters and the anchovies and other fish coming in to them.

As for mackerel, the season for them was always late April/early May till September/October. You never saw any after that. Maybe the odd one but not in large numbers. Now you catch more Mackerel between September and March with the peak season being November to February. I lost a £50 bet to my kids a couple of years ago as we walked down the breakwater on Boxing day and we saw people fishing, I said to my kids that I bet £50 they won't be catching anything..... The bloke reeled in a stringfull of mackerel and put them in a bin bag that was almost half full. FFS

But oh no, I didn't know what I was talking about and it was all a natural occurrence.

Yeah, right.

sglowrider

I had a pretty big argument with a customer a few weeks ago. He was at the bar banging on about the climate change hoax and repeating the same old tired bollocks that they all do.

I politely pointed out to him that the area he was visiting is the highest fishing port in the UK and as an ex fisherman myself I had noticed huge changes, especially in the last 15 years or so.

We always had set seasons for lots of fish species, we especially mackerel and sprats. About 15 years ago the sprat boats started catching anchovies which had never been seen here before. Now there is a huge anchovy season that sits alongside the ever smaller sprat season.

To add to that following the anchovies came huge pods of dolphins chasing them up from warmer waters around Spain and Portugal. Now we have dolphin watch boats. We always had a few dolphins but now we regularly have super pods and they are here for 9 months of the year. To add to all that we have 30 seals in Brixham when we only ever had one or two and last year we had a huge bin lid jellyfish explosion and a few sightings of sea turtles that feed off them.

If all that wasn't enough, earlier this year Cornwall allowed the landing of Bluefin Tuna due to the exceptionally large numbers around the Cornish and Devon coasts now, which are obviously enjoying the warmer waters and the anchovies and other fish coming in to them.

As for mackerel, the season for them was always late April/early May till September/October. You never saw any after that. Maybe the odd one but not in large numbers. Now you catch more Mackerel between September and March with the peak season being November to February. I lost a £50 bet to my kids a couple of years ago as we walked down the breakwater on Boxing day and we saw people fishing, I said to my kids that I bet £50 they won't be catching anything..... The bloke reeled in a stringfull of mackerel and put them in a bin bag that was almost half full. FFS

But oh no, I didn't know what I was talking about and it was all a natural occurrence.

Yeah, right.
Wow. I cant believe the change in the type of warm water fish that's there now. It's like as a kid seeing coconut/palm trees in Arran was weird -- and that has always stuck in my head.

But to hear about the fish population changing that dramatically!

langster

Scout
Wow. I cant believe the change in the type of warm water fish that's there now. It's like as a kid seeing coconut/palm trees in Arran was weird -- and that has always stuck in my head.

But to hear about the fish population changing that dramatically!

Don't get me wrong, things have changed as I said above, but where we are on the South West coast, we are sharing what you could call the fish border where these species used to skirt. It's just now they have moved in and each year in greater numbers.

Last Summer we had humpback whale right off the shore on a new route of their migration path. We always had porpoises and dolphins just not in the numbers seen now and as much as it is without question partly due to warming sea temperatures and hotter weather patterns. It's also down to over fishing as well. Lots of the larger species are coming here in search of food and if the food is here then they will be here too.

Berry Head.is a 5 minute walk from my pub/house and the tuna at Start Point is just around the corner from Berry Head.

Sadly can't see.any super pods footage but some mates have it on their phones, I will see if they can upload it.

sglowrider

Don't get me wrong, things have changed as I said above, but where we are on the South West coast, we are sharing what you could call the fish border where these species used to skirt. It's just now they have moved in and each year in greater numbers.

Last Summer we had humpback whale right off the shore on a new route of their migration path. We always had porpoises and dolphins just not in the numbers seen now and as much as it is without question partly due to warming sea temperatures and hotter weather patterns. It's also down to over fishing as well. Lots of the larger species are coming here in search of food and if the food is here then they will be here too.

Berry Head.is a 5 minute walk from my pub/house and the tuna at Start Point is just around the corner from Berry Head.

Sadly can't see.any super pods footage but some mates have it on their phones, I will see if they can upload it.
Beautiful videos!!

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Yeah, right.
What are you complaining? dolphins, turtles, more anchovies and Tuna to fish. I am jsut waiting for Vancouver to be a tropical paradise. Climate change is a bless

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

My granny and grandad live in Brixham, always see nothing when I go berry head though. :( :lol:

NotworkSte

Hurricane season 2024 is not looking good, I know it's still early but the signs aren't great. ECMWF is already reporting above average, and main development region in Atlantic is at July temperatures already. Along with a developing La Niña, something to watch out for.
Need to get my prep done early this year.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Hurricane season 2024 is not looking good, I know it's still early but the signs aren't great. ECMWF is already reporting above average, and main development region in Atlantic is at July temperatures already. Along with a developing La Niña, something to watch out for.
Need to get my prep done early this year.
Sounds like you need to move!

NotworkSte

Insurance is pretty rough, and I need to carry flood now to even though I am way above the flood line (I am approx 50'). I also got dropped from Citizens the state backed agency, since some else offered me a policy more expensive but within their rules.

I wouldn't mind moving but it just isn't that easy right now. Being in Tampa is probably the best place to be though to ride out Hurricane season.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Insurance is pretty rough, and I need to carry flood now to even though I am way above the flood line (I am approx 50'). I also got dropped from Citizens the state backed agency, since some else offered me a policy more expensive but within their rules.

I wouldn't mind moving but it just isn't that easy right now. Being in Tampa is probably the best place to be though to ride out Hurricane season.
Just be glad you're in Seminole Heights as opposed to right on Bayshore Boulevard!

langster

Scout
Out of curiosity, is there anywhere in Florida (or anywhere else, say tornado valley) that insurance companies won't touch?

I'm only asking because my friend's family home in Kingswear is uninsurable due to its location being barely a couple of feet above the mean high spring tides water level and although it's a big property, the garden area regularly floods as did the inside until they had the centuries old sewer and drainage system updated.

Given insurance partly works on probability,I'm guessing many places that sit slap bang in areas where hurricanes or other weather events hit or can hit regularly, it wouldn't surprise me if some just became uninsurable.

NotworkSte

Out of curiosity, is there anywhere in Florida (or anywhere else, say tornado valley) that insurance companies won't touch?

I'm only asking because my friend's family home in Kingswear is uninsurable due to its location being barely a couple of feet above the mean high spring tides water level and although it's a big property, the garden area regularly floods as did the inside until they had the centuries old sewer and drainage system updated.

Given insurance partly works on probability,I'm guessing many places that sit slap bang in areas where hurricanes or other weather events hit or can hit regularly, it wouldn't surprise me if some just became uninsurable.
In theory no, Citizens is the state backed insurer of last resort. However I think they can require you to do thinks like get a new roof or refused to cover certain things. Citizens is hanging on by a thread though. Before I was dropped from them we were forced to carry the flood insurance. Many the insurers won't cover the old craftsman style houses (mine is from around 1905) which is weird because they are much stronger than the ton of McMansion/HOA sprawl currently going up.

The location shouldn't be enough for Citizens to deny coverage. They should only be able to deny based on house condition itself.

langster

Scout
In theory no, Citizens is the state backed insurer of last resort. However I think they can require you to do thinks like get a new roof or refused to cover certain things. Citizens is hanging on by a thread though. Before I was dropped from them we were forced to carry the flood insurance. Many the insurers won't cover the old craftsman style houses (mine is from around 1905) which is weird because they are much stronger than the ton of McMansion/HOA sprawl currently going up.

The location shouldn't be enough for Citizens to deny coverage. They should only be able to deny based on house condition itself.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the reply. I guess that on top of the conditions many places have massively increased premiums due to location and varying factors?

NotworkSte

Ah, ok. Thanks for the reply. I guess that on top of the conditions many places have massively increased premiums due to location and varying factors?
Aye, especially by the water. Plus a lot of insurers will force you to get your roof redone or drop you as well, adding to the roofing fraud that is going on (and your own cost). I had a roofer redo my roof after Irma and they tried to scam Citizens. Went to court and even though I had all the evidence on my side, I still lost. It's literally insane how little protection you get in Florida.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Aye, especially by the water. Plus a lot of insurers will force you to get your roof redone or drop you as well, adding to the roofing fraud that is going on (and your own cost). I had a roofer redo my roof after Irma and they tried to scam Citizens. Went to court and even though I had all the evidence on my side, I still lost. It's literally insane how little protection you get in Florida.
It's what happens when you vote in the likes of Gaetz, Scott and DeSDantis (maybe not you personally)