The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hong Kong got a battering then...

I saw more powerful storms there on paper but never anything that affected the city so much. Some friends said it was genuinely terrifying even with all the preparation.
A short clip of the damage done in Hong Kong

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Wind and rain all day yesterday and today. Overall accumulation is pretty high, but we’ve gotten lucky and only had spotty power outages.

About an hour north though wasn’t so lucky.
Chatted with some old friends who live in the Lake Keowee area & further north into North Carolina near Hendersonville who said that the rain has not been overwhelming, but it is just not stopping.

Carolina Red

Staff
Chatted with some old friends who live in the Lake Keowee area & further north into North Carolina near Hendersonville who said that the rain has not been overwhelming, but it is just not stopping.
Yep. That’s about how I’d describe it. Nothing crazy, it just keeps coming.

We honestly seem to have been too close to the former eye to get the worst of it. The bad storms were farther out into the Charlotte area.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Wind and rain all day yesterday and today. Overall accumulation is pretty high, but we’ve gotten lucky and only had spotty power outages.

About an hour north though wasn’t so lucky.
Wtf. You should be sending Pat Robertson mo' money. All that hard praying has been under-appreciated.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Seems like US hurricanes always get called life altering events these days and yet it usually amounts to nothing epoch defining and you get the Indonesian disaster which didn’t quite get the global coverage it should have done considering the amount of deaths.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Seems like US hurricanes always get called life altering events these days and yet it usually amounts to nothing epoch defining and you get the Indonesian disaster which didn’t quite get the global coverage it should have done considering the amount of deaths.
Sorry but I have to completely disagree here. The Indonesian AND the Japanese Tsunami's both got relentless coverage here in the UK. The US ones get a bit, but not much in comparison. I watched all last year's coverage on CNN and other US channels.

The only reason the Indonesian coverage may have seemed less than it actually was, is because it happened on Boxing Day, so slap bang in the centre of the most important and popular globally celebrated religious festival and holiday season. The news stations ran coverage 24 hours a day here in the UK but hardly any of the main channels disrupted their schedules due to the time of year and cost of doing so over the Christmas period.

I also think that the inhabitants (and former inhabitants dead or alive) would consider the Puerto Rico hurricane a pretty significant epoch defining event.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
Oops, you kind of made his point for him there @langster as I'm fairly certain he was talking about the Palu tsunami last week and the one a week earlier in Japan. I would say they both got fairly good coverage in the UK though but my perception may be slanted by my Asian leaning news feeds and contact lists.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Oops, you kind of made his point for him there @langster as I'm fairly certain he was talking about the Palu tsunami last week and the one a week earlier in Japan. I would say they both got fairly good coverage in the UK though but my perception may be slanted by my Asian leaning news feeds and contact lists.
Wasn’t meant as a dig in terms of biased coverage but I just think it can be dangerous if the media consistently over hypes hurricanes and then it becomes a boy who cried wolf and then when there is a real big one - families are unprepared as they think they can ride it out.

I just think commensurate to the sheer number of deaths, it was muted coverage. Most of the papers I read it was like 1 page dedicated to it whereas if it was a disaster in the western world - mass coverage.

Boxing Day Tsunami was a truly global event in terms of death count - so that doesn’t come into this discussion.

langster

Scout
Ahh yeah. I do apologise, whenever anyone mentions Indonesia and Tsunami I automatically think of the Boxing day one. It's bad, but it's so ingrained in my mind I completely forgot about the recent ones. I agree though, I'm sure they both got a decent amount of coverage though.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Can't be compared really - you get reports on incoming hurricanes a week in advance and you can follow its direction online, especially on American news outlets they give continuous updates (as they should) for people's safety and whether they should be evacuated, stuff like that. After that it's again major news when they make landfall, and the aftermath is also well documented.

An earthquake comes unexpected most of the times, and it's normal that we get more CNN coverage than say from Sulawesi for example. They are not prepared, there are barely any correspondants or news outlets present and it's harder to get access to the affected area. Anyway, the most recent earthquake and what happened after got plenty of attention imo, at least in Belgium media, what with the plundering going on and all of that stuff. The earthquakes that caused havoc in Lombok and Bali also got major coverage over here.

Carolina Red

Staff
Michael has literally strengthened after making landfall.

Millibars dropped from 923 to 919 and wind speed increased from 150 to 155 after the eye wall went over land.

langster

Scout
That was Andrew. Andrew flattened South Florida.
Yup, I remember seeing the carnage on the and speaking to friends and relatives who live in the area. Michael looks bad though, damn! some of the footage looks insane. I just hope casualties are at a minimum. From early reports it's caused immense damage.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yup, I remember seeing the carnage on the and speaking to friends and relatives who live in the area. Michael looks bad though, damn! some of the footage looks insane. I just hope casualties are at a minimum. From early reports it's caused immense damage.
Yeah it’s not gonna be good. I was actually in the area it made landfall at last month coaching football against a local school.

Nothing but pine trees, swamp, flat ground, and houses. I’m really hoping that community evacuated.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Yeah it’s not gonna be good. I was actually in the area it made landfall at last month coaching football against a local school.

Nothing but pine trees, swamp, flat ground, and houses. I’m really hoping that community evacuated.
Not really the place but I don't know much about high school football so do you normally cross state lines?

Carolina Red

Staff
The coach from down there just contacted us. He said that area and the towns surrounding it have been basically destroyed.

“It’ll take years to come back from this”

Carolina Red

Staff
That town is about 30 minutes away from where we played.

That’s unreal.

I can’t imagine the destruction around that area. Almost exclusively two lane roads with massive pine trees lining them. They’ll likely be impassible for miles.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Crazy, crazy footage of a pair of lunatics driving into Michael's eye wall. You can see just how quickly one can go from relatively fine to absolutely fecked. Gets insane after about 27 minutes, with total screwage from 31 onward. I should say that they've reportedly survived but the footage gets incredibly scary when they have to abandon the car.

Here's what happened to where they were at Mexico Beach:

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Crazy, crazy footage of a pair of lunatics driving into Micahel's the eye wall. You can see just how quickly one can go from relatively fine to absolutely fecked. Gets insane after about 27 minutes, with total screwage from 31 onward. I should say that they've reportedly survived but the footage gets incredibly scary when they have to abandon the car.

Here's what happened to where they were at Mexico Beach:

That footage is amazing but absolutely nuts... Mother Nature - jeez!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Crazy, crazy footage of a pair of lunatics driving into Michael's eye wall. You can see just how quickly one can go from relatively fine to absolutely fecked. Gets insane after about 27 minutes, with total screwage from 31 onward. I should say that they've reportedly survived but the footage gets incredibly scary when they have to abandon the car.

Nope