The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

Carolina Red

Staff
May seem harsh but if you choose to stay I can't have any sympathy when you inevitably get killed.
The biggest issue about it is what Jim Cantore talked about last night... folks stay and then get in perilous situations and then call for help, which puts emergency responders in horrible situations. Because of that, a lot of governments have started telling folks “past this point, no help is coming, you’re on your own”.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s tough for me to see those concrete foundations where buildings once stood. All five of my family’s houses on the MS Gulf Coast were washed away during Katrina with their houses completely underwater at some point (some of the same family members had their houses washed away 35 years earlier during Camille). Having gone through Katrina & Andrew, it amazes me that some people that could have evacuated wouldn’t evacuate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weathe...e-updates-n1238373/ncrd1238563#liveBlogHeader

Carolina Red

Staff
It’s tough for me to see those concrete foundations where buildings once stood. All five of my family’s houses on the MS Gulf Coast were washed away during Katrina with their houses completely underwater at some point (some of the same family members had their houses washed away 35 years earlier during Camille). Having gone through Katrina & Andrew, it amazes me that some people that could have evacuated wouldn’t evacuate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weathe...e-updates-n1238373/ncrd1238563#liveBlogHeader
Same.

At the same time, I am deeply concerned about how many homeless people might not have been able to evacuate and were trapped due to circumstance.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Same. I saw that one sheriff told people “we can’t help you... write your name, social security number, address, and next of kin on a paper, put it in a ziploc, and put it in your pocket”.

At the same time, I am deeply concerned about how many homeless people might not have been able to evacuate and were trapped due to circumstance.
Not going to lie, I sure as shit do not miss hurricane season, especially in aug-nov. Lived through Katrina, glad to be gone. Stay safe my southern brethren, even you Trump loving bastards.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What an unbelievable amount of water. Hope PR comes through ok.

Used to go to school with a girl named Fiona. We made up a little rhyme for her that went like this, "Fiona is the donor to the owner of a boner."

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What an unbelievable amount of water. Hope PR comes through ok.

Used to go to school with a girl named Fiona. We made up a little rhyme for her that went like this, "Fiona is the donor to the owner of a boner."
That‘s funny, I had a cat named Boner.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
A Knighthood and anything else going. When I lived in Crystal City one of his restaurants was downstair, tapas place, ate there often.

Keeping an eye on Invest 98L.
Eaten at his restaurants many times, all were good to phenomenal. Jaleo in DC was the one that sticks out the most.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Invest 98 has grown up a bit, will be called Ian, I believe. Looks as though my hometown just might get the direct hit from a major hurricane it’s been dodging for decades. With any decent storm surge, there will be horrific flooding of the beaches & heavily grown up areas of Downtown St. Petersburg & places like Davis Island & along Bayshore Boulevard in Tampa…

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/205548.shtml?tswind120#contents

Carolina Red

Staff
Invest 98 has grown up a bit, will be called Ian, I believe. Looks as though my hometown just might get the direct hit from a major hurricane it’s been dodging for decades. With any decent storm surge, there will be horrific flooding of the beaches & heavily grown up areas of Downtown St. Petersburg & places like Davis Island & along Bayshore Boulevard in Tampa…

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/205548.shtml?tswind120#contents
I was gonna ask when the last time a big one hit Tampa was. Charley tracked just enough south but this one looks like it’ll be more up the coast.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I was gonna ask when the last time a big one hit Tampa was. Charley tracked just enough south but this one looks like it’ll be more up the coast.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1921_Tampa_Bay_hurricane

We dodged Irma by about 40 miles, the eye went inland before Tampa Bay. There was actually severe outflow out of the bay hours before the eye went by.

If the eye lands north of TB as a major hurricane, the inflow of the storm surge will be potentially devastating. There is so much developed property only a couple of feet above the bay’s water level & only separated from it by a four lane road.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1921_Tampa_Bay_hurricane

We dodged Irma by about 40 miles, the eye went inland before Tampa Bay. There was actually severe outflow out of the bay hours before the eye went by.

If the eye lands north of TB as a major hurricane, the inflow of thr storm surge will be potentially devastating. There is so much developed property only a couple of feet above the bay’s water level & only separated from it by a four lane road.
Oh dear :(

Carolina Red

Staff
Sadly, that part of Florida has had its head in the sand politically & capatalistically for decades. When the music stops, it ain’t gonna be pretty.
How fecked would Arturo Fuente Cigars, JC Newman Cigars, and Cigar City Brewing be if this thing hits as it looks?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
How fecked would Arturo Fuente Cigars, JC Newman Cigars, and Cigar City Brewing be if this thing hits as it looks?
Ybor City is located inland enough that storm surge shouldn’t get there; if it does get that bad, it would be apocalyptic. That said, Fuente is a lot closer to the water than JCN. CCB is just south of RJ Stadium, even further away from water than Ybor & a touch more elevated.

What would possibly be very damaged is Tampa General Hospital which is on the north tip of Davis Island, an island that could conceivably be swamped. It’s there where Brady lived in in Jeter’s house & is where some of the Glazers live.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Fiona passed over us last night, was not super close but still had some impressive gusts. Did a serious job on the power, 80% of homes were out all day today.

That new one that is heading into the gulf is going to be a nightmare if it follows the current paths.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Fiona passed over us last night, was not super close but still had some impressive gusts. Did a serious job on the power, 80% of homes were out all day today.

That new one that is heading into the gulf is going to be a nightmare if it follows the current paths.
Hopefully Cuba’s mountains will knock some of the intensity down before it makes landfall in Florida.

Carolina Red

Staff
Ybor City is located inland enough that storm surge shouldn’t get there; if it does get that bad, it would be apocalyptic. That said, Fuente is a lot closer to the water than JCN. CCB is just south of RJ Stadium, even further away from water than Ybor & a touch more elevated.

What would possibly be very damaged is Tampa General Hospital which is on the north tip of Davis Island, an island that could conceivably be swamped. It’s there where Brady lived in in Jeter’s house & is where some of the Glazers live.
On my selfish train of thought - at least those places won’t be under water

On my unselfish train of thought - that would be absolutely awful if the hospital is inundated. Hopefully they will be able to evacuate the patients. I know from my wife that that’s not always a possibility but fingers crossed there :(

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
On my selfish train of thought - at least those places won’t be under water

On my unselfish train of thought - that would be absolutely awful if the hospital is inundated. Hopefully they will be able to evacuate the patients. I know from my wife that that’s not always a possibility but fingers crossed there :(
Give ‘Five Days at Memorial’ a watch with your better half.