The 'I am looking forward to the Super League' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smores

There's only one type of fan for this shambles if we're being honest.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's an interesting idea, I kind of get the point of it getting repetitive but isn't it the same with the domestic leagues? It's always the usual suspects around the top spots, you can imagine the rest of the German teams wouldn't mind seeing the back of Bayern. It might be a good idea as a supplement to the domestic leagues but I get the point about lack of relegation/promotion, the only end game is to win it, everything else seems a bit meh.

It probably won't happen, but I'm glad the current organisations that monopolise the game (esp. with some being corrupt as hell) are getting a shake up.

Mindhunter

I just cant stand the hypocrisy anymore.

How many people were willing to sell our souls to the Saudis. Here we are fighting against racism and for womans football rights but fk it lets sell out to one of the most corrupt nations with human rights violations. Newcastle fans are willing to sell their mums for a chance to get Mbappe and if given half a chance so will most clubs.

Sell votes for Qatar world up. Heck yeah lets do it. How many deaths of migrant workers building the Qatar world cup. Oh never mind.

Get sponsored by Gazprom the right hand of Putin. Fk yeah.

Financial fair play! Ha what a joke. Man City blatantly fkd that one over and what does everyone do? Nothing.

The players - Oh I love football. All I play for is the love of grassroots football. Who do you play for? Oh PSG but that doesnt count.

And on and on it goes.

Not saying that the Super League is right or wrong, Im still processing it, but Im sick of listening to so called lovers of the game when in fact they sold out years ago. Lets say it gets cancelled. What happens then. A fair league? A fair champions league? Bollox it is. There will be Man City winning most years. Maybe the oil money from Chelsea. Every now and again Utd or Liverpool might get in like doing a Leicester. But the real challengers of City will be the likes of Newcastle or whoever the next blood money club that comes along. UEFA and FIFA will still be running their mafia, taking bribes and pretending its all so pure and for the love of football.

Lets get real people. Football sold out years ago. Super League is just another example of it. And not even the worst of it.
This. It should be a sticky post at the top of all the hundred or so super league threads.

paulscholes18

I certainly prefer the Super league format to the new Champions League format coming in 2024

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So playing Barca, RM etc will lose it's feeling yet playing Burnley, Brighton will not or isnt a standard games and diluted. The duality.

You want UEFA and guys running the game on £1m + with all their historic issues.. They're like babies throwing the toys out of the pram.

Lets wait and see..
Current football you sometimes play huge games and sometimes play against small teams. Smaller teams can dream of upsets, beating the big team and that resonates with so much of the world and that's why it's always been the most popular sport in the world. Teams could always dream, and upsets happen in football more than any other sport. You take that away, and every "big game" is just another game. There is no more big or small games, because it'll be the same big games, every year, against the same teams.

You're commenting on playing Burnley? Are we too good to play a team like Burnley or something? The team we've only just beat for the first time in 5 seasons at home against? Right. This is a completely disgusting proposal, and anyone in support of it has 0 understanding of the actual roots and values of football in the first place. It'll fail if it does start, because most of the masses that actually follow football will follow the remaining 99% of clubs, and not the disgusting 12 who are leaving who won't have as many real supporters overall.

Dansk

Itll quickly lose its novel feeling and just be standard games and dilute the product.
I'm not really pro-ESL, but:

The ESL matches between big clubs can't possibly become less prestigious than current domestic football. Real Madrid against United will be less special if it happenes twice a year than when it happened a few times per decade, but it's not like it would become less interesting than Real Madrid vs Valladolid or United vs Crystal Palace. I imagine the ESL hype would fall somewhere between today's average league game and the most anticipated CL ties, i.e. more than the former and less than the latter. On the other hand, there would be so much more football between strong teams than there is now. Bayern and Barcelona are widely regarded as the two best teams of the last decade, but they've only actually met in 2013, 2015 and 2020. That's really not very many times for the two arguably best teams of this generation to have been tested against eachother.

And if we look past Bayern, Barca, Real and what few other clubs routinely make it far in the CL, it would be a huge rise in the general caliber of matches that teams like Tottenham and AC Milan get to play, as well as whatever other clubs would get invited to the new league. It's a shame that it's happening this way, because it's a really ugly and potentially catastrophic way for it to happen--but I wouldn't be able to deny that if it works out the way it's intended, I would watch a whole lot more football than I have in recent years.

I really wish this could be accomplished in a less contentious manner that doesn't hurt domestic leagues, but unless the schism leads to a general collapse of European football, I think the end result will be very popular. I had hoped that UEFA would be the ones to bring something new to the table, because I frankly think football needs something new. Aside from the financial and technological aspects, nothing new has really happened with the game in like seventy years.

I would love to have more top-level football than we currently get, but I didn't want it to happen this way, and I think some of the specifics of the ESL are absurd ("founding clubs" that can't be relegated, etc.) Still, the sport as a whole could really do with some innovation, and UEFA and FIFA have been too powerful for too long. I would just have preferred something more akin to the Champion's League, but in an actual league format, where teams have to qualify through their domestic leagues every season the way they currently do for the CL. As it is, you can make it through the entire CL from the first game to the final and only actually play against like three of the "superclubs." It's not really enough for me.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

General secretary couldn't be more clearer.

This league is for kids playing videogames.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
So you enjoyed the mighty Nations League as well? Because a lot of top national teams played each other...
Feck it, i found it boring as feck even though Switzerland played Germany, Belgium and even participated in the first final tournement. I really found this games less exciting than our latest Worldcup qualifiers vs Bulgaria and Lithuania in march.

And why? Because there is absolutely no charme or tradition in the Nations League. It will be the same for this ESL. Football is more than two teams playing good football against each other. A 0:0 in a Worldcup semifinal will always be much more exciting than a 4:3 in a friendly or a random newly promoted competition like the ESL.
History and tradition must have a start somewhere some time.

Moby

Dick
Joses gone now though. Super League saved!
That's the hilarious side of it. Just because it's gonna have the teams with best players (on paper), people are thinking it would automatically mean amazing exciting end to end football with golazos every game. It's like they haven't watched the champions league and especially the big 6 ties the last few years. :lol:

United - Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs have been some of the most drab borefests most times just in recent times itself. Against City it's them who usually try to play with us backing into our own goal as usual. And that's just United games.

I sat at Camp Nou when Barca played Madrid in December of 2019, and thats pretty much one of the most boring games I've watched both live or on TV. Man United vs AC Milan? That happened a few days back, how exciting and great those games were in terms of quality? Milan don't even have an exciting team on paper. Then there's the great entertainers such as Juventus and Atletico Madrid. :lol: It's as if these teams when playing each other never sit back and play all out playstation football.

And that's when we are talking about these teams playing in a knockout format where in plenty of situations they don't have an option to draw and have to score to avoid getting knocked out. Imagine these teams playing each other in a league format, with no relegation or any position besides 1st place offering any incentive. :lol:

Bring it on.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm not pro-ESL, but:

The ESL matches between big clubs can't possibly become less prestigious current domestic football. Real Madrid against Bayern would be less special if it happened twice a year than it is now when it happens a handful of times per decade, but it's not like it would become less interesting than Real Madrid vs Valladolid or Bayern vs FC Köln. I imagine the ESL hype would fall somewhere between today's average league game and the most anticipated CL ties, i.e. more than the former and less than the latter. On the other hand, there would be fifty times more football between strong teams than there is now.

And if we look past Bayern, Barca, Real and what few other clubs routinely make it far in the CL, it would be a huge rise in the general caliber of matches that teams like Tottenham and AC Milan get to play, as well as whatever other clubs would get invited to the new league. It's a shame that it's happening this way, because it's a really ugly and potentially catastrophic way for it to happen--but I wouldn't be able to deny that if it works out the way it's intended, I would watch a whole lot more football than I have in recent years.

I really wish this could be accomplished in a less contentious manner that doesn't hurt domestic leagues, but unless the schism leads to a general collapse of European football, I think the end result will be very popular. I had hoped that UEFA would be the ones to bring something new to the table, because I frankly think football needs something new. Aside from the financial and technological aspects, nothing new has really happened with the game in like seventy years.
Football definitely needs a restructure. But a closed competition and wanting to just split up from the rest is cancerous and the people involved deserve to be locked up.

There are things to take from american sports. But everything should still be merit based, and you can't even adopt a true american style system around European football because plain and simple, there is no draft system. There is nothing to be gained for finishing lower in the league, or nothing to even things out over time and ensure that the top don't dominate constantly. You're going to have large amount of the competition be completely irrelevant. It's a terrible idea as it is.

Salary caps, spending caps, those are definitely needed. A super league in itself could work as a replacement to the champions league, but it has to be in conjunction with the domestic league, and it can't be fixed. Some sort of system where every team has the same spending and salary caps balanced throughout the big leagues and every team within every league. Prize money through this super league just goes into the overall domestic club system and again, spread to everyone. That's how you make it "even" and "fair" financially across the boat. Never going to happen and corporate greed would ensure they would never want to split income like that. And a lot of stuff like this is impossible to bring in without a dramatic shake up anyway. But the current proposal is just so, so bad and goes against everything football stands for.

BarstoolProphet

Can't wait for us to tank the league for the next three years so we get dibs on the new Messi in 2025.

RedStarUnited

Current football you sometimes play huge games and sometimes play against small teams. Smaller teams can dream of upsets, beating the big team and that resonates with so much of the world and that's why it's always been the most popular sport in the world. Teams could always dream, and upsets happen in football more than any other sport. You take that away, and every "big game" is just another game. There is no more big or small games, because it'll be the same big games, every year, against the same teams.

You're commenting on playing Burnley? Are we too good to play a team like Burnley or something? The team we've only just beat for the first time in 5 seasons at home against? Right. This is a completely disgusting proposal, and anyone in support of it has 0 understanding of the actual roots and values of football in the first place. It'll fail if it does start, because most of the masses that actually follow football will follow the remaining 99% of clubs, and not the disgusting 12 who are leaving who won't have as many real supporters overall.
It will still happen. This Arsenal team are not the same level as Madrid for example, it would still be a surprise if they beat them over two legs.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale

It's why ESL have Arsenal and Tottenham!

lostcauz

I feel fairly neutral on the whole thing but I’m trying to understand the uproar from fans who support the 6 who would be involved. Your club is about to play in the biggest and most lucrative club competition in world football. Fair enough if you are outside the 6.

It’s financially unfair to teams who aren’t in it....
Until foreign money entered the game, United have always had a financial advantage over clubs and still do over most of them. For the majority of Saf reign, being able to buy almost any target, setting transfer records in the process.
Chelsea and City already have money but Yes, it will make the gap between Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool over the rest even bigger but it wasn’t like they haven’t made some big money signings in recent times that other teams in the league wouldn’t be able to make. Liverpool made 111m from winning the champions league, isn’t it already unfair that champion league teams are making vast amounts of money?
Why do you care if other teams don’t have as much money?

Football owners are being greedy....
How does that affect the fans? We already have greedy owners.
Is the ESL not a more competitive and entertaining offering? Unless there’s a group of death, the CL doesn’t generally get interesting until the knockouts.
There is greed throughout the whole of football and Fifa/UEFA are no different. Do they have the god given right to control all club tournaments?

But the history of the champions league...
Yep, fair enough.

The format sounds boring and will become repetitive.....
Look up the new proposed format for the champions league. A league format instead of groups

Teams are to be banned from domestic leagues and players banned from international tournaments.....
Sky/BT will look for rebates and the TV package for the premier league will drop substantially across the globe, it isn’t in the FA best interests.
The same goes for international tournaments, the prestige disappears and viewers will switch off in mass, the whole thing will be dead.

If this was drawn up alongside talks with the EPL where a additional team could qualify to participate, I think it would’ve gone over slightly better, a opportunity for a team outside the top 6 to play in a elite tournament.

Infra-red

This is getting away from them (the super league clubs) quickly. I can see it falling apart completely by the end of the week unless emergency action is taken to wrestle back control of the narrative and try to get some public support/momentum.

Given that this has supposedly been in planning for years, I think everyone has been surprised by how amateur all of this has been. The crap logo, the cheap website that doesn't show up on any google searches, the fact the announcement was rushed out at midnight on a Sunday, the fact that no broadcaster/streaming service was brought on board in advance (is this stupid league even economically viable?).

We still haven't had a proper press conference or any real explanation of what this league is or how it will work. I don't know who has been organising the PR for this sorry debacle, but they should immediately be fired.

Of course as someone who wants this league to die a terrible death and never be resurrected, this is all great. Hugely embarrassing for everyone involved though. My guess is that we'll look back in a few years time and laugh at this ridiculous and pathetic failed coup.

Blood Mage

It's obviously a terrible idea and I would hate it, but let's be real we'd all be glad at the prospect of never having to play in the Europa League again.

Status
Not open for further replies.