The 'I am looking forward to the Super League' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Different opinions are fine, but you've got your work cut out to show that you have actually understood these proposals.

Why should these 12 clubs get special treatment?
It's obviously clubs with the biggest fan bases and I really don't care about that.

RedStarUnited

Because if you have a shit season in the league, you don't get into the European competition next season.

Frankly with the European Cup if you didn't win the fecking league then you didn't qualify for it.

How is this difficult to understand?
Heres an idea to remedy this....

UEFA scraps the Europa League and keeps a single competition. The 12 teams that don't qualify from the SL KO stages that are also eligible for EUFA competitions due to league position get to have a play off for places in the second round of this new EUFA competition.

This would give an incentive teams to finish as high as possible in the league, which in return gives them a second chance of continental glory should they drop out of the SL group stages.

littlepeasoup

The over the top meltdowns are funny too, if I'm being completely honest.
People don't like change, for sure, and there will be *plenty* of over the top opinions, but also I feel like there are also a great deal of people with perfectly rational arguments opposing what's happening that tend to get ignored when they're in a vocal majority.

Not everyone who opposes your view point (a perfectly valid view point, btw) is having a meltdown. There are genuine concerns people have about the future of the game, and I don't think they should all be lumped into the same pile and called crazy.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I don't really have to explain myself, I like the idea of playing the top clubs instead of seeing City play Shakhtar for the 100th time, and I completely disagree with Uefa/FIFA taking the moral high ground and pretending they aren't greedy, football been a business for years now, I just made peace with that.

I'm also bored of the CL as a competition and I'm excited to see something different.
Okay a fair argument but what happens when you’re bored of playing Madrid and Barca repeatedly?

Another new competition?.

If it’s just a business and you’re at peace with that then what compels you to actually watch the game?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Seeing United play Madrid/Milan/PSG etc early in the season sounds fantastic until you remember that these "group" games of the Super League will essentially be pointless because the vast majority of the teams will make it to the "knockout phase" regardless.

The whole reason why it feels big for us to play teams like Madrid/Milan PSG etc is because we tend to only play them either in knockout football or in the only game in the CL group stage that actually means anything.
If there are two groups of ten, the first 4 or 5 will pass. They will have to maintain the level one way or another. More than pointless I would say routine, like in a league.
Every year I motivate myself to watch the derby against Atlético or I am aware of the Clásico. Sometimes there are four or five a year and almost all of them have some incentive,
although it is true that having so many English teams it may be different for you

Of course, playing less often makes it more mythical, but waiting eight or nine years to visit an elite team?

laughtersassassin

You know if something in football has one of the Glazers behind it it's a shit show waiting to happen.

They ruined this club and our now on a mission to ruin the sport at the top level.

Maybe people will wake up now that's it's probably too late

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
People don't like change, for sure, and there will be *plenty* of over the top opinions, but also I feel like there are also a great deal of people with perfectly rational arguments opposing what's happening that tend to get ignored when they're in a vocal majority.

Not everyone who opposes your view point (a perfectly valid view point, btw) is having a meltdown. There are genuine concerns people have about the future of the game, and I don't think they should all be lumped into the same pile and called crazy.
Oh absolutely, and I understand why the vast majority of fans disagree with me.

RonaldoVII

The league will be pointless given we'll be in the SL each season anyway. We'll be resting players at the weekend to save them for midweek.

SwedishFish

At least the money will be good and there'll be a salary cap for the teams involved. Also pleases me to feck off that shite organization UEFA.

matherto

This is my BIGGEST issue with it. If they said the qualification was for instance the top 3 in each league, I'd be all up for it.

Seeing teams like Arsenal fumble their way to 9th place in the league and then turn up in the elite competition is just :lol:
If there was qualification then it’d be the CL/EL.

I think everyone can see though this as the cynical guaranteed cash grab for the respective club’s owners and their mates that it is.

Denis79

It's not the competition itself I have a problem with, it's the effect it will have on the other ones. Now even if we're not challenging for the title the PL still matters but if we don't have to fight for that top 4 spot and if we're "out of the fight" the PL becomes nothing but a friendly tournament.

Also if players from the Super-league clubs are banned from the WC and EC it will damage the heart of football.

Red00012

Can’t wait going to be awesome, the melodrama is starting to piss me off “football’s dead”, “I’ll never support United again”. ffs..

It’s something new so I’m going to embrace it football was getting stale anyway.
The dramatic over the top posts and then if you’re not on their wavelength you’re an idiot. A nights sleep will do the world of good for some of them I hope.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I like it. Times change, things change. Sometimes, you gotta give it a chance.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
This is anti competition. There is no argument for it other than the money angle
Isn't that what the Champions League became anyway? This is clearly the clubs telling UEFA that they aren't sharing enough of their revenue.

The league will be pointless given we'll be in the SL each season anyway. We'll be resting players at the weekend to save them for midweek.
Maybe we'll be able to play young players instead.

Deery

Dreary
People are rightly concerned about everything they’ve loved about the club being gone. Once it sinks in that it’s just a different weekly tournament they’ll come round. Hopefully some of the money will be split across the domestic leagues.
Yeah it’s just a weekly tournament, the premier league isn’t going to kick the 6 teams out wouldn’t be in their interest.

What I may be pissed at is having to fork out another subscription to another Network. Again.

Skills

Snitch
I hope the ESL can buyout the Champions League theme song with some of that cash they have.

Doesn't get better than this

matherto

You say that now but wait until we pillage the Portuguese league and Dortmund for all their players.
What happens when we’ve pillaged them all And there’s nothing left? And do you not care about anyone elwe?

Why would we bother to pillage when we’re guaranteed the income each year? The Glazers won’t spend if they don’t have to.

matherto

I hope the ESL can buyout the Champions League theme song with some of that cash they have.

Doesn't get better than this
Well they’d have to change the lyrics for a start.

I want a modern remix too with some auto tune and a sick beat.

Tyrion

I'm not happy about it but I think it's just an extremely bad set-up compared to the current very bad one.

I'm also annoyed at Sky's faux outrage given that it was threats of the top clubs in England forming a super league that led to the formation of the premier league in the first place. They're just annoyed that they're now on the wrong side and the top clubs may be doing to them what they did to the football league before.

Skills

Snitch
If you are already banned from your domestic league , what are you going to relegate to ? The void league ?
Who's going to get banned from their domestic league?

The remaining 14 clubs would be bankrupt within 6 months once all the TV deals get pulled out of their feet once BT/Sky realise they're worth feck all if they can't show the 30+ games of each of the top 6.

sport2793

It sounds like you're happy for a fixed game with hollow victories.
Not for me, thanks.
There are enough teams that the storylines will still be exciting enough for most people (outside of Europe at least).

reddevil702

Love it as a midweek competition. Everyone seems to dislike the fact that these teams automatically qualify or don’t face relegation but at the end of the day these clubs are the biggest draw in the football world.United has been primarily shit post SAF and yet they’re still one of the biggest clubs commercially. They know it, whoever is funding this knows it and thus they were never going to take this heat without assurances.
I can see the issues with domestic leagues and International play being worked out as it doesn’t benefit anyone to have these teams leave or players sit out of World Cups. Domestic honors will still be just as important not sure why everyone thinks the Champions League is what drives team to try and win their league. Yes it impacts top 4 but so will the Super League depending on how they determine teams will qualify. I like the Champions League but it will turn into nothing more than a glorified Europa League and thus they will be the ultimate loser in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.