The 'I am looking forward to the Super League' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
In terms of the quality of football, I'm definitely looking forward to the super league. I can't say I really look forward to watching the early games of the CL or Europa. Yet watching Man united AC Milan 1 week, then vs Barca the next would be great fun.

Of course, the issue will come when we realise we are a mid-table club at best in terms of these teams, and at best we can hope to be the Everton on the super league, at worst we will be the Newcastle of it.

AkaAkuma

I'm in favour, as I believe it will result in better competition and incentives winning and team development over financial goals i.e CL retention for top six teams / having a money spinning CL sojeurn for a team like Leicester.

Cultured left ankle

It’s not even smaller fish we won’t get a chance to play against. It’s big fish too. Winning a competition that a club like Bayern Munich isn’t taking part in will ring pretty hollow, surely?

I wonder if it is fans of American sports who find this so appealing? They’re used to money-spinning franchises making sure they’re at the top table every year. To everyone else this proposal feels all kinds of wrong.
yeah, I was thinking about this during my yoga session. I think it's a case of case of those not being fussed about utd (and by extension, the fans) being nothing more than a commodity vs those who actually appreciate the richness of the history of football as an entity.

If you only see the club as a means if entertainment first, you probably won't care much about grinding out a 1-0 win against wolves on a rainy November.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
yeah, I was thinking about this during my yoga session. I think it's a case of case of those not being fussed about utd (and by extension, the fans) being nothing more than a commodity vs those who actually appreciate the richness of the history of football as an entity.

If you only see the club as a means if entertainment first, you probably won't care much about grinding out a 1-0 win against wolves on a rainy November.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Because there is a lot at stake in the Premier League right now - CL qualification. Once it is established that clubs can finish 15th and still play in this so called super league, they can start sending their reserve teams if winning the title becomes unlikely.
The stakes of qualifying for the CL are almost entirely financial so I dunno that those are very meaningful for the sport.

Ricardo de la Vega

Im actually shocked real people think this is a good idea. Maybe its an age thing. People dont remember that these football clubs are - clubs - part of the community - and that the joy has always been in a climb to the top. People accept now the club is for (a) business and (b) entertainment. Which isn't really what footballs about but guess Im a dinosaur.

redrobed

As a fan of Utd and Bayern it’s going to make things pretty difficult for me. Don’t tend to like supporting multiple teams in one League.

Theo88

Not sure why everyone is hating on this that much.

This is similar to the euroleague basketball format. Yes it's not doing a lot to progress the sport in Europe and obviously its heavily biased in its format but are we really thinking uefa is that much better in running any competition?

Aren't they supposed to be a bunch of corrupt white dudes making money left and right?

Also hopefully this will help some of the not oil rich clubs compete in a European format in ways theyre not just punch bags.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

This is similar to the euroleague basketball format. Yes it's not doing a lot to progress the sport in Europe and obviously its heavily biased in its format but are we really thinking uefa is that much better in running any competition?

Aren't they supposed to be a bunch of corrupt white dudes making money left and right?

Also hopefully this will help some of the not oil rich clubs compete in a European format in ways theyre not just punch bags.
Its the fact that this league isn't linked to the domestic league that the problem, its a closed league, it has the potential to take money out of the domestic game. I will be honest I enjoy the domestic league and the FA cup far more than European competition. I hope it fails and the clubs evolved are made to openly apologise for their choice.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Wow, I am a plastic thread if I've ever seen one.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This whole kicking out of the league, stripping titles etc seems so ridiculous. It makes zero sense and stinks of big TV companies trying to fan outrage because they are scared about what this does to the monopoly they have held for so long.

Seems like their best tactic now is try and enrage the fans and squash the thing.

Do you actually think sky give two shits about Southampton not being able to qualify for the super league? Are people that naive? This isn't about integrity and dreams, it's about some people realising that their golden egg is going to become someone else's golden egg.

They will still have the champions league. Why aren't sky excited about all the clubs who could never qualify before, now being part of that? Hm? The likes of Everton, Wolves, West Ham etc can now all regularly play European football. Why aren't sky embracing that?

Because they don't want the likes of West Ham and Everton being the face of their product. Sky know their TV rights will be impacted by this and they are shitting it.

I've said for years I'd rather just pay a membership to United and have access to all of our games. Sky have had us by the balls for years.

Champions League will still be a thing. Anyone who says "it will be shit though" shouldn't also then be moaning because those teams can't get into the super league because that's the point, people would rather watch Man United vs Real Madrid than they would Everton vs Valencia. The champions league only has as much value as the fans etc grant it. If the champions league died due to low viewership then its because fans are the ones choosing not to watch those clubs. So why be so desperate for those clubs to 'have a chance' when if enough if them took their chance, you wouldn't tune in to watch it anyway.
No, I don't think clubs will be kicked out of their leagues either. The leagues can't afford it. And I suppose the clubs know it, and know they have the upper hand in this disgusting power play. I'm just saying I wouldn't actually mind that scenario. :)
It’s not even smaller fish we won’t get a chance to play against. It’s big fish too. Winning a competition that a club like Bayern Munich isn’t taking part in will ring pretty hollow, surely?

I wonder if it is fans of American sports who find this so appealing? They’re used to money-spinning franchises making sure they’re at the top table every year. To everyone else this proposal feels all kinds of wrong.
That's not really how the North American leagues work. The basic principle is there, but if that's the way European football is taking, there are two crucial elements missing. One is that, because the clubs are actually franchises under the league, there is better geographical coverage, which is nice. But more importantly, in response to your point: there are not really big clubs with a ton of influence on the league, and you don't really have clubs winning everything forever.

In fact, the latter is the one way in which North American leagues trump the European football system: no-one has a stranglehold on the leagues. (Like the top 1, or 2, or 6, in every European league.) The salary caps, trade, and draft systems give every club a chance to make it through at some point. Just take a look at the NHL in particular: champions have been really varied for a while now.

If they would establish this ESL similarly, with clubs from all over Europe and a similar system to balance out their 'power', I'd actually be interested. But this is just 12 of the regulars solidifying their domestic and European stranglehold.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

What does their skin color have to do with this?

peacefulwarlord

As long as it provides alternatives to international match day especially pointless nations league I'm all for it

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm a fan of my club. I just don't give a rat's arse about small clubs, integrity of the sport, bla bla blah whatever

To quote the poet "if they die, they die"

Makes no difference to me

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It'll probably take a while before they get the format right but ultimately it should be a good competition.
My problem with it is that the big European games (or even league games) are special partly because they're rare. Playing Madrid every month will make it another Blackburn or whatever, just with less chances of winning. And if the set-up is like the set-up for the games vs Chelsea and Arsenal this season, it will be impossibly painful to watch.

Also the best CL games I can remember from recent seasons were from Ajax's run 3 years ago when they destroyed Madrid and Juve playing with mostly unknown players and great style. t''s very rare but will be impossible from here on out.

e - i don't think the moral arguments against it are too good. it's trump supporting venture capitalists vs oil dictators at the top of the PL, and oil dictators vs oil owners for the CL. tax-dodging billionaire genius vs alleged rapist goal machine as the best players in the world, and everybody's support is still fervent.

Last edited:

francobaresi

We need a "I'm not really that bothered about the Super League because in reality it won't be all that different to the current set up" thread

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm a fan of my club. I just don't give a rat's arse about small clubs, integrity of the sport, bla bla blah whatever

Hear hear.

In fact, if we have to give up playing those peasant tiny clubs altogether, even better.

bsCallout

My problem with it is that the big European games (or even league games) are special partly because they're rare. Playing Madrid every month will make it another Blackburn or whatever, just with less chances of winning. And if the set-up is like the set-up for the games vs Chelsea and Arsenal this season, it will be impossibly painful to watch.

Also the best CL games I can remember from recent seasons were from Ajax's run 3 years ago when they destroyed Madrid and Juve playing with mostly unknown players and great style. t''s very rare but will be impossible from here on out.

e - i don't think the moral arguments against it are too good. it's trump supporting venture capitalists vs oil dictators at the top of the PL, and oil dictators vs oil owners for the CL. tax-dodging billionaire genius vs alleged rapist goal machine as the best players in the world, and everybody's support is still fervent.
Exactly. I don't get this idea that it'll be super interesting. It'll get boring very, very quickly. I like playing smaller clubs in the UCL because there are a lot of suprise results and you get to see unknown talents.

I also like the excitement of the draw, potentially coming up against a 'giant'. I can't think of anything worse than playing Arsenal regularly as part of this, or even playing Madrid EVERY year. Knowing the fixtures in advance.

I can only think those that think it's a good idea haven't actually thought about it.

Teja

Sort of agree with this. I don't care too much about the moral arguments - UEFA / PL have all the TV broadcasters on a tight leash and everyone's toeing the party line and spreading outrage whether they really believe in what they're saying or not. A huge part of it is 'it's new so I don't like it' type folks who just rant against any change at all.

The competition is cup (group stages + knock out like the CL), so I don't know why we expect a lot of games against RM / Barca or whoever. It's not like we play 38 games a season against the top clubs in Europe and this will replace the domestic league. Each season, there are 10 group stage games with possibly more for the top 6 clubs in Europe (as opposed to 6 group stage games in the CL + 2 for Round of 16 = 8 games). I really don't think that's a lot of cagey games. It's effectively making the CL group stages more interesting.

If this plays out without bans, I suspect the Europa league will die, the CL will lose its shine and the drama in the domestic leagues will reduce a bit because there's no top four race but it'll be far cry from the non stop doom and gloom being peddled around. Plenty of domestic leagues do fine with just your standard title race, it's just the PL (in the last 5-6 years) that had the added drama.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Rejecting change is for olds. I for one, welcome our superleague overlords. It'll just take one generation until all the old fans die out and are replaced by new superleague supporting fans.

VP

I'm wondering how the clowns defending this nonsense got into football in the first place.

Acole9

Outstanding

You aren't a football fan at all if that's what you actually think.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This is my BIGGEST issue with it. If they said the qualification was for instance the top 3 in each league, I'd be all up for it.

Seeing teams like Arsenal fumble their way to 9th place in the league and then turn up in the elite competition is just :lol:
Yep, and a more competitive floor to fall through. At the moment we'll just be marveling at both Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid beating Liverpool for the 13th time in one season with their low block systems only for Liverpool to be releg... No wait, Liverpool will still progress. Yawn, and this time the letters are the right way round. :rolleyes:

hobbers

In other news, a Real Madrid fan is a Real Madrid fan.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
JP Morgan Super League.

Run by Perez and Joel Glazer. What’s there not to be excited about.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

I more or less think the same. I think that could be the next step seeing the monopoly of the national leagues, although it is true that I am worried that there will not be promotions or relegation. This tweet from a few days ago caught my attention.
Net spending on transfers in recent years.
It seems an overwhelming difference, and being a top 3 on the forbes list, it is better not to think about other more humble teams.
Is this going to change in the near future or are we going to become puppets? To be puppets it seems good that they start a revolution, and the initial rejection of City and Chelsea could be an indication that they would not have things so easy

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

You didn't think this statement through.

Big clubs are synonymous with small clubs. One cannot exist without the other.

So you do care about the smaller clubs, you just didn't know it.

And so do you @carvajal

Status
Not open for further replies.