The 'I am looking forward to the Super League' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hear hear.

In fact, if we have to give up playing those peasant tiny clubs altogether, even better.
:D

To be honest, it's less i'd rather not play those tiny clubs so much as i don't really care who we play
You aren't a football fan at all if that's what you actually think.
I'm a real madrid first, second and third. A football fan a very distant 4th
In other news, a Real Madrid fan is a Real Madrid fan.
Pretty much

stw2022

I'd like to know what it is. People seem to be taking the view that they don't know what it is but know they don't like it. I've never actually seen any concrete proposals to decide if I like it or not. People are reacting to what they think it is and reacting to other people reacting to what they themselves think it is. It's all very odd.

As I said in the other thread, UEFA planned to make the CL into a league format anyway. If this is simply a break-away replacement but with clubs negotiating their own rights deal, similar to the foundation of the PL and there's opportunity for other clubs to qualify each year just like the proposed CL revamp, then I struggle to see that the hysteria has been fully justified.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You didn't think this statement through.

But big clubs are synonymous with small clubs. One cannot exist without the other.

So you do care about the smaller clubs, you just didn't know it.

And so do you @carvajal
I don't think the superleague would hurt the small clubs to the point they wouldn't be able to operate

Though for sure, the closed system is an eyesore. I don't like this proposed superleague the way it is. But i'm also not going stop following my club

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I cant wait to read the reasons why people think a league run by a guy who helped run our club into the ground, football wise, is going to be so gosh darn good.

crossy1686

career ending
Looking forward to the prospect of a genuine elite competition but I would like to see PL football continue to coexist all the same, which I think it will in one way or another.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I'd like to know what it is. People seem to be taking the view that they don't know what it is but know they don't like it. I've never actually seen any concrete proposals to decide if I like it or not. People are reacting to what they think it is and reacting to other people reacting to what they themselves think it is. It's all very odd.

As I said in the other thread, UEFA planned to make the CL into a league format anyway. If this is simply a break-away replacement but with clubs negotiating their own rights deal, similar to the foundation of the PL and there's opportunity for other clubs to qualify each year just like the proposed CL revamp, then I struggle to see that the hysteria has been fully justified.
No. Theres places for teams to be invited each year should they be deemed worthy to exist on the same plane as the european elites such as Arsenal and spurs...

Its a walled off league in which the founding memebers can never be relegated from. In short, its the Americanisation of our sport. Whats next, turning the clubs into franchises so they can move them to other cities that offer better incentives?

Stocar

Couldn't care less. If the idea was to introduce some kind of genuine league system, that would be great. But what is proposed is essentially another glorified cup competition, only difference being it would be straightforward closed (not much difference really).

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
You say this but these are games where young players gain experience playing in. You think a Hannibal will be thrown into a game vs Madrid?
That's what the league will eventually be there for for the 6 clubs involved in this Honestly I'm surprised any football loving fan would entertain this.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not sure why everyone is hating on this that much.

This is similar to the euroleague basketball format. Yes it's not doing a lot to progress the sport in Europe and obviously its heavily biased in its format but are we really thinking uefa is that much better in running any competition?

Aren't they supposed to be a bunch of corrupt white dudes making money left and right?

Also hopefully this will help some of the not oil rich clubs compete in a European format in ways theyre not just punch bags.
I'm all for modernisation of PL / Champions League / Europa League. Hell id even get behind International football if it was in anyway exciting. God knows UEFA / FIFA have sucked every last drop of blood they can out of the game.

Make no mistake though, this ESL idea is not a competition. If god forbid it goes ahead then it will be a series of exhibition matches played out by a cast of supporting actors in it for the pay day. No promotion or relegation means there is no competition. What if you are say Atletico Madrid and you are half way through the season. No chance of hitting the magical play offs for the inaugural ESL cup, no chance of being relegated, what have you left to play for. Or another scenario and the domestic leagues come to some agreement for both to co-exist. We play them on a Weds night in a winner takes all match to seal a 'play-off' place, will Utd or City field a full strength side in the Prem the Saturday before it given the difference in rewards, they wont give a flying fig about the domestic league, which ultimately brings the integrity of that competition into question.

Despite all it's flaws, football works and is still exciting. Hate to say it but there is some drama wondering if Big Sam will do a miracle and keep The Baggies up on the last day of the season? Will Liverpool make it into the top 4. If City go on a shit run (wont happen) could we pip them to the title. At it's core Football from kids 9 a side right upto the professional game is based on meritocracy. This is just about the money men trying to make more money. If JP Morgan are willing to invest $6Bn in a kick starter, you are damned sure they will want a return on it.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
You didn't think this statement through.

Big clubs are synonymous with small clubs. One cannot exist without the other.

So you do care about the smaller clubs, you just didn't know it.

And so do you @carvajal
Before I was more romantic. Now I have assumed that the flow of money is not going to slow down.
I like to see Madrid competing, and despite our history and wealth the future is "only City / PSG can afford him".
A second division and promotions would be good, and hopefully they reach agreements with UEFA. I frequently follow a second B team that also suffers from Tebas cynicism on this issue.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm a fan of my club. I just don't give a rat's arse about small clubs, integrity of the sport, bla bla blah whatever

To quote the poet "if they die, they die"

Makes no difference to me
Very well said, I'm a United fan who has some interest in football.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Its the fact that this league isn't linked to the domestic league that the problem, its a closed league, it has the potential to take money out of the domestic game. I will be honest I enjoy the domestic league and the FA cup far more than European competition. I hope it fails and the clubs evolved are made to openly apologise for their choice.
I agree. Was quiet embarrassed Chelsea is part of this. Hope the league stand firm in their threat to kick them out and force them to rescind their decision. This is a pure cash grab attempt and even though the current setup is far from perfect this is way too on the nose selfishness.
Where is the hope for clubs like Leicester, Westham, Soceidad, Villarreal, Atlanta, Roma, Napoli etc to reach the big stages. Where is the incentive for all these big clubs to actually work to remain relevant when their status at the top is pretty much guaranteed.
As a Chelsea fan I don't currently enjoy our recent positions in the league this few years, I'd wish we win it every year but what keeps me coming back every year is the uncertainty of every league season. Are we going to be shit again? Are we going to be even shittier? Who knows...guess we'll find out.
But I don't know with this SPL thing if I'll be interested past year 2. There is no incentive whatsoever to be. Your teams place at the top is pretty much guaranteed. Nothing to rage over....meh.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Rejecting change is for olds. I for one, welcome our superleague overlords. It'll just take one generation until all the old fans die out and are replaced by new superleague supporting fans.
And another generation for Feyenoord to ever be invited into the Super League. Have fun with that

:smirk:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal finish 20th for the 4th year in a row!!!!

Sorry Gunners, was in jest, not meant as a jab to your fine club.

monosierra

From the point of view of club owners and bankers, the biggest distinction between the ESL clubs and the rest is their global appeal. The Big Six and their counterparts are effectively subsidizing other clubs. They do not need these other clubs to maintain their appeal - just each other. Seperating leagues in the long run into global marques and local ones is a by-product of this scheme from Wall St financiers, investors, and streaming giants. The audience in major markets for bottom half teams is not big enough to overcome any losses in viewership from forming an ESL - in their analysis. Keep the smaller clubs with their traditions and social functions in the domestic league, where they will continue to duke it out for local audiences. The ESL clubs have long grown past their local roots and are now owned by foreign investors and followed by billions of fans who have never set foot in Manchester, Barcelona, Madrid, or London. The city of their origin is still essential to the brand, but the rest of the league provides little additional value to viewers who would prefer to watch extra doses of the equivalent of CL quarterfinals, which would bring in more money in the long run. This is the business case when JPM shops the securities IMO.

48 hours

Wonder if City can be moved to Abu Dhabi if this goes through eventually? The owner is from there, I’m sure players would rather live there than the North West of England.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The biggest distinction between the ESL clubs and the rest is their global appeal. Seperating leagues in the long run into global marques and local ones is a by-product of this scheme from Wall St financiers, investors, and streaming giants. The audience in major markets for bottom half teams is not big enough to overcome any losses in viewership from forming an ESL - in their analysis. Keep the smaller clubs with their traditions and social functions in the domestic league, where they will continue to duke it out for local audiences. The ESL clubs have long grown past their local roots and are now owned by foreign investors and followed by billions of fans who have never set foot in Manchester, Barcelona, Madrid, or London. The city of their origin is still essential to the brand, but the rest of the league provides little additional value to viewers who would prefer to watch extra doses of the equivalent of CL quarterfinals, which would bring in more money in the long run. This is the business case when JPM shops the securities IMO.
If rumours are true they have Amazon lined up for the streaming, they're on sorted.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Wonder if City can be moved to Abu Dhabi if this goes through eventually? The owner is from there, I’m sure players would rather live there than the North West of England.
I lived in Abu Dhabi for 7 months. It gets super freaking hot!!

Cal?

CR7 fan
:nono: Not everyone likes to feel like being in a sauna every time they step outdoors.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This is my BIGGEST issue with it. If they said the qualification was for instance the top 3 in each league, I'd be all up for it.

Seeing teams like Arsenal fumble their way to 9th place in the league and then turn up in the elite competition is just :lol:
Precisely. This is why there is uproar - because a team like Everton who would give their all to come fourth to make the CL - would they qualify in this league if they did? And, that principle is why people are upset. Teams strive to improve and get better to get to the top of football. Can they really do that if 15/20 teams are immovable from the “top” league?

The second big issue with it is money. It will effectively eliminate the ability of other clubs to break into the top x teams in the domestic leagues because they’ll never financially ge able to compete.

BrianLy

Seeing United play Madrid/Milan/PSG etc early in the season sounds fantastic until you remember that these "group" games of the Super League will essentially be pointless because the vast majority of the teams will make it to the "knockout phase" regardless.
If they want the most exciting football earlier in the season then the competition needs to be adjusted to introduce scarcity of places in that league. Automatic qualification for the PL winners and letting the others fight it out for the remaining CL spots might bring the biggest rush early in the season.

This is not really what they want though. They want sufficiently interesting football to engage an international audience which have relatively little cross-nation contact today. Yes, fans of teams in the same league come into collision each year, but you don't have regular United versus Juve games that would engage this audience. This audience is forced to learn about United's genuine rivalries with smaller clubs. Instead, the goal is to play out rivalries which only happen on occasion. I can see how this will make money, but it's not for me. Eventually, it'll need to be replaced with something else.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
do the air conditioned stadiums work?
I was never in them. I lived in the Novatel, spent some time at the beach, went to some pubs. When at work I never left the building. It was nice, but the heat was oppressive.

Idxomer

I can't wait, said the same months ago.

Not going to change my opinion based on the ridiculous outrage and what the media is trying to sell me.

EngimaMK

I honestly don't get Dubai. The only people I know that like it are tacky people who like shopping, obsessed with money and being seen to be "it".

Gaudy shit.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
way better than the current CL...
would cancel my PL and Bundesliga subscription for this

Status
Not open for further replies.