The 'I am looking forward to the Super League' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStarUnited

Super League positive posts welcomed in here.

Yay - no more Thursday night football.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It won’t cost me hundreds of my hard earned each year, so there’s that I guess

cyberman

I actually am now if not just for the financial evenness of it all. If its done correctly of course.

arthurka

Looking forward to finding free rivers of this shit while hating me for it.

Chairman Steve

I always forward to the Super League at Old Trafford.

I just wish they wouldnt feck the pitch up so much though, and someone rubbed out those rugby league lines better

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I'm very happy about it, but seems like the caf isn't ready to accept different opinions on the matter atm.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The SL is a terrible idea, but there’s no way I won’t be watching it and hoping that United win. Sadly.

I’m also a Leyton Orient fan, but I prefer to watch United because I want to watch the better level of football. If that level ends up being in the SL, then I’m going to watch it. It is likely to feel somewhat empty/hollow though. The tournament has no history.

What I’ll say though is, for all the anger, I have no doubt that Old Trafford will be at capacity for a United vs Real match.

Paul_Scholes18

No end this thread. How can any real United fans support this idea? All our history of winning it 20 times just destroyed by this super league.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Assuming that the flow of money into football is not going to slow down, this gives a possibility to obtain more income and to establish rules that limit.
The statement talks about a spending framework.
I think it would help "traditional" clubs to compete.
The current format, with PSG, City and Chelsea in semifinals, has also been criticized, and I don't think that the new proposed Champions League means a different future.
For the viewer, it means not waiting for March to see interesting matches.
Seeing Madrid / Milan / PSG at Old Trafford once a year is going to bore you?
I'd rather take that risk than watch an easy win against minor league teams.
Obviously there are many failures and somehow they will have to think of a relegation system.
I don't think it's that dramatic to try something new.
The leagues will suffer but seeing the national dominance of Juve, Bayern, City, Madrid/Barça,PSG a different future is not envisioned, with or without a super league.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You know this isn't replacing the Premier League right?
Domestic leagues will either become irrelevant very quickly, or pushed to the side as a B team, or very quickly participating teams will just be kicked out from them. There's no way it can co-exist IMO.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
This is the thread to spill. What do you like about it?
I don't really have to explain myself, I like the idea of playing the top clubs instead of seeing City play Shakhtar for the 100th time, and I completely disagree with Uefa/FIFA taking the moral high ground and pretending they aren't greedy, football been a business for years now, I just made peace with that.

I'm also bored of the CL as a competition and I'm excited to see something different.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I can't say I'm for or against it without considering all the repercussion and how much of it is overblown or underappreciated. I would definitely say I'm intrigued, especially if my hometown team like PSG could participate in it, it would give the club a bit more competition. I would enjoy a league where we're facing English and Spanish teams on a weekly basis. I do like disruptions, but I also enjoy the current competitions. I think the Champion's league is still a great competition to watch, I don't care as much about cup competitions but I know I'm in the minority there. I just need to learn more about it, see just how detailed they are in their approach to implement something like this, but this is definitely interesting to see the proposal, but not as much as it is to see the outraged response by UEFA and some of the pundits.

Skills

Snitch
Domestic leagues will either become irrelevant very quickly, or pushed to the side as a B team, or very quickly participating teams will just be kicked out from them. There's no way it can co-exist IMO.
Why doesn't that happen already with the CL? Or especially, why didn't it happen with the old European Cup?

The Firestarter

Looking forward to what RAWK and BM will be melting down for. Pigmol / FA no longer viable.

BaillyBaillyBailly

Assuming that the flow of money into football is not going to slow down, this gives a possibility to obtain more income and to establish rules that limit.
The statement talks about a spending framework.
I think it would help "traditional" clubs to compete.
The current format, with PSG, City and Chelsea in semifinals, has also been criticized, and I don't think that the new proposed Champions League means a different future.
For the viewer, it means not waiting for March to see interesting matches.
Seeing Madrid / Milan / PSG at Old Trafford once a year is going to bore you?
I'd rather take that risk than watch an easy win against minor league teams.
Obviously there are many failures and somehow they will have to think of a relegation system.
I don't think it's that dramatic to try something new.
The leagues will suffer but seeing the national dominance of Juve, Bayern, City, Madrid/Barça,PSG a different future is not envisioned, with or without a super league.
Seeing United play Madrid/Milan/PSG etc early in the season sounds fantastic until you remember that these "group" games of the Super League will essentially be pointless because the vast majority of the teams will make it to the "knockout phase" regardless.

The whole reason why it feels big for us to play teams like Madrid/Milan PSG etc is because we tend to only play them either in knockout football or in the only game in the CL group stage that actually means anything.

Deery

Dreary
Can’t wait going to be awesome, the melodrama is starting to piss me off “football’s dead”, “I’ll never support United again”. ffs..

It’s something new so I’m going to embrace it football was getting stale anyway.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
No.

I will not be ordering 1 vat of highly concentrated sulphuric acid for the purposes of dissolving everyone who agrees with the idea of a super league.
As an Arsenal supporter you just need to appreciat3 the fact your club is even in it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why doesn't that happen already with the CL? Or especially, why didn't it happen with the old European Cup?
It's different. This is a closed competition now, completely unrelated to the domestic leagues. Performance in the domestic leagues mean nothing, sponsorships will pick the European super league, prize money will change substantially, players will want to join the big European league exclusively and the gap between any ESL club and the rest of the domestic league will be so big financially that it'll be essentially different leagues.

Jagga7

Pure elitism and greed. Pathetic but not unexpected. I hope the league fails miserably and the clubs are set back years.

Flying high

I'm very happy about it, but seems like the caf isn't ready to accept different opinions on the matter atm.
Different opinions are fine, but you've got your work cut out to show that you have actually understood these proposals.

Why should these 12 clubs get special treatment?

JB7

Because if you have a shit season in the league, you don't get into the European competition next season.

Frankly with the European Cup if you didn't win the fecking league then you didn't qualify for it.

How is this difficult to understand?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Because you need the domestic league to qualify. The 'top 4 trophy' didn't become a thing for no reason.

If this happens, I hope they go ahead and kick these clubs out of their national leagues. Those will then have a much more level playing field and immediately become much more interesting to watch. All that's left in that case, would be for Ajax to join this ESL, which I can then happily ignore knowing that my main gripe with national football (that they're dominated everywhere by too few clubs in perpetuity) will have been fixed.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Can’t wait going to be awesome, the melodrama is starting to piss me off “football’s dead”, “I’ll never support United again”. ffs..

It’s something new so I’m going to embrace it football was getting stale anyway.
People are rightly concerned about everything they’ve loved about the club being gone. Once it sinks in that it’s just a different weekly tournament they’ll come round. Hopefully some of the money will be split across the domestic leagues.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Different opinions are fine, but you've got your work cut out to show that you have actually understood these proposals.

Why should these 12 clubs get special treatment?
This is my BIGGEST issue with it. If they said the qualification was for instance the top 3 in each league, I'd be all up for it.

Seeing teams like Arsenal fumble their way to 9th place in the league and then turn up in the elite competition is just :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.