The 'I am looking forward to the Super League' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JadoreSox

Can't wait, if all these top moaners follow through Old Trafford will be buzzing again.

Look forward to a modern subscription model instead of getting fleeced by Sky and BT Sport for a subpar product. Surprised how many have bought into the narrative from the Sky talking heads that are seeing their Golden Goose stripped away.

Crustanoid

Nobody has actually done the sensible thing yet and mocked up an FM scenario to see how it will all pan out. Argue all you want but this is the only way to understand whether it’s a good idea or not

I'm not thrilled at the idea of clubs taking part being set permanently, but I love that UEFA and FIFA, two extremely corrupt organisations, are being bitten by the same mindset of greed they've been cultivating for years.
100% feck FIFA and UEFA.

Both upset that in organisation even more greedy have come along.

they have helped destroy football. They have no moral high ground to stand on. If one of the impacts of this is that UEFA is disbanded/ pointless - then I’ll be bloody delighted.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
With 20 ESL games to be played in the league stage, there will be games on Tuesday, Weds and Thursday nights, I would think.
I make it 197 matches planned (involving 20 teams). Current CL has 125 matches (involving 32 teams).

Tues, Weds and Thurs for sure.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I'd like to know what it is. People seem to be taking the view that they don't know what it is but know they don't like it. I've never actually seen any concrete proposals to decide if I like it or not. People are reacting to what they think it is and reacting to other people reacting to what they themselves think it is. It's all very odd.

As I said in the other thread, UEFA planned to make the CL into a league format anyway. If this is simply a break-away replacement but with clubs negotiating their own rights deal, similar to the foundation of the PL and there's opportunity for other clubs to qualify each year just like the proposed CL revamp, then I struggle to see that the hysteria has been fully justified.
It's simple. It's the madness of the crowd based on people parroting what they've heard from a similarly poorly informed pundit on tv.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Nobody has actually done the sensible thing yet and mocked up an FM scenario to see how it will all pan out. Argue all you want but this is the only way to understand whether it’s a good idea or not
Back in the day I used to set up super leagues on FIFA 99, they were great.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
"I am looking forward to our trip to the slaughterhouse. Hey....why are we all packed in this truck?"

RuudTom83

The SL will make a nice change from...The Race for Top 4! Which is basically what the Prem has become.

Dansk

It's a bit like if someone robbed a bank and gave all the money to me. I don't want anyone to rob banks, but I certainly would enjoy having a huge bag of money. If they'd asked me beforehand, I would have told them not to do it. I wouldn't be happy that someone robbed a bank. But the money would be really nice to have.

I definitely don't like the way this ESL schism is happening and I would prefer that it didn't, but if it results in a higher frequency of great games, I would probably have more fun watching football than I currently do. I find I watch football less and less because so many of the games are just filler. If I think of matches that I actually look forward to, I think there's less than twenty per year, maybe a bit more during the World Cup knockout stage.

Sometimes two or three weeks go by without a game that I'm really excited for. There are just not enough games played between great teams. I don't want that to be changed through a contentious rift in the sporting world, but I can't deny that I would be more excited to watch the ESL. Nothing really new has happened in football for so long, it's starting to get a little dull to watch the exact same formats as when I was a little boy.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid

:lol: :lol: :lol: Perez being a shithouse is so damn good.

As for me, ehh I’m kinda indifferent about the whole thing. At most I can muster a ‘meh’ about all of this. Don’t really give much a crap about the smaller teams and all this talk about the ‘heart of football being ripped out’ rings hollow.

marktan

It's 99% about making more money for the owners.

People acting like we're going to get CL calibre matches every time two teams go ahead - you're deluding yourself. It'll be like the NFL where some teams never win anything.

The reason the CL is so enticing is because you get one off, two leagued knockout ties from the round of 16 with new teams where anything can happen. It's why teams like Lyon, Monaco and Spurs have managed to knock City out. As it stands in the new format, aside from PSG and Bayern, City would comprehensively beat all other teams in the super League they come up against 9/10 times. Great fun that'll be to watch 10 seasons in a row.. not.

Swiss_Red89

I can’t wait for ESL. It’ll be class without all the poverty bus parking clubs.
So you enjoyed the mighty Nations League as well? Because a lot of top national teams played each other...
Feck it, i found it boring as feck even though Switzerland played Germany, Belgium and even participated in the first final tournement. I really found this games less exciting than our latest Worldcup qualifiers vs Bulgaria and Lithuania in march.

And why? Because there is absolutely no charme or tradition in the Nations League. It will be the same for this ESL. Football is more than two teams playing good football against each other. A 0:0 in a Worldcup semifinal will always be much more exciting than a 4:3 in a friendly or a random newly promoted competition like the ESL.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
So you enjoyed the mighty Nations League as well? Because a lot of top national teams played each other...
Feck it, i found it boring as feck even though Switzerland played Germany, Belgium and even participated in the first final tournement. I really found this games less exciting than our latest Worldcup qualifiers vs Bulgaria and Lithuania in march.

And why? Because there is absolutely no charme or tradition in the Nations League. It will be the same for this ESL. Football is more than two teams playing good football against each other. A 0:0 in a Worldcup semifinal will always be much more exciting than a 4:3 in a friendly or a random newly promoted competition like the ESL.
I don’t watch international football.

hobbers

The SL will make a nice change from...The Race for Top 4! Which is basically what the Prem has become.
Yeah when we're sitting 10th in the Prem and 8th in our half of the SL come November, and every game thereafter is a pointless dead rubber, and year on year we fail to improve at all, because the Glazers dont care and there's no more financial incentive to improve the team to improve results... a nice change indeed.

Dansk

As it stands in the new format, aside from PSG and Bayern, City would comprehensively beat all other teams in the super League they come up against 9/10 times. Great fun that'll be to watch 10 seasons in a row.. not.
Man City's last ten results vs...

Man Utd: 4W, 1D, 5L

Liverpool: 4W, 2D, 4L

Chelsea: 7W, 3L

Arsenal: 9W, 1L

Tottenham: 6W, 1D, 3L

Record against Barcelona 2014-2021: 1W, 5L

Record against Real Madrid 2014-2021: 2W, 1D, 1L

Record against Juventus 2014-2021: 2L

If we take away Arsenal, who have been complete shit for the last decade, City have won about half of their games against the other English clubs that would enter the ESL. They've won 3 out of 12 against Barca, Real Madrid and Juventus. Somehow I really, really doubt they would suddenly win 9/10 games in the ESL.

Last edited:

Member 101269

The context for me is a poor global economy. Some clubs are not going to survive, top clubs will know how their finances are affected by COVID.

That said, the idea of playing the top European teams, RM, Barca, Juve is something i like..

Tapori

I cant wait to read the reasons why people think a league run by a guy who helped run our club into the ground, football wise, is going to be so gosh darn good.
Because of course, the drama of the CL knock-out rounds will be replicated every week and it will be worth it with the best players busting a gut for that 7th place finish.

UpWithRivers

I just cant stand the hypocrisy anymore.

How many people were willing to sell our souls to the Saudis. Here we are fighting against racism and for womans football rights but fk it lets sell out to one of the most corrupt nations with human rights violations. Newcastle fans are willing to sell their mums for a chance to get Mbappe and if given half a chance so will most clubs.

Sell votes for Qatar world up. Heck yeah lets do it. How many deaths of migrant workers building the Qatar world cup. Oh never mind.

Get sponsored by Gazprom the right hand of Putin. Fk yeah.

Financial fair play! Ha what a joke. Man City blatantly fkd that one over and what does everyone do? Nothing.

The players - Oh I love football. All I play for is the love of grassroots football. Who do you play for? Oh PSG but that doesnt count.

And on and on it goes.

Not saying that the Super League is right or wrong, Im still processing it, but Im sick of listening to so called lovers of the game when in fact they sold out years ago. Lets say it gets cancelled. What happens then. A fair league? A fair champions league? Bollox it is. There will be Man City winning most years. Maybe the oil money from Chelsea. Every now and again Utd or Liverpool might get in like doing a Leicester. But the real challengers of City will be the likes of Newcastle or whoever the next blood money club that comes along. UEFA and FIFA will still be running their mafia, taking bribes and pretending its all so pure and for the love of football.

Lets get real people. Football sold out years ago. Super League is just another example of it. And not even the worst of it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The context for me is a poor global economy. Some clubs are not going to survive, top clubs will know how their finances are affected by COVID.

That said, the idea of playing the top European teams, RM, Barca, Juve is something i like..
Itll quickly lose its novel feeling and just be standard games and dilute the product. This, if it does happen, will not properly work out as they hope. Not a chance. I seriously hope UEFA proves good on their threats and bans all ESL players from national competition. They'll choose they'd rather stay with clubs in normal domestic league structures and the Champions League, which means you'll have a group of players only interested in money and the rest of world football operating as normal, only without these 12 name brands. And it'll die a quick death while the rest of the teams take off.

sport2793

:lol: :lol: :lol: Perez being a shithouse is so damn good.

As for me, ehh I’m kinda indifferent about the whole thing. At most I can muster a ‘meh’ about all of this. Don’t really give much a crap about the smaller teams and all this talk about the ‘heart of football being ripped out’ rings hollow.
Now that's just daylight robbery. Imagine the cheek that would take, if anyone is capable it is Perez though.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I just cant stand the hypocrisy anymore.

How many people were willing to sell our souls to the Saudis. Here we are fighting against racism and for womans football rights but fk it lets sell out to one of the most corrupt nations with human rights violations. Newcastle fans are willing to sell their mums for a chance to get Mbappe and if given half a chance so will most clubs.

Sell votes for Qatar world up. Heck yeah lets do it. How many deaths of migrant workers building the Qatar world cup. Oh never mind.

Get sponsored by Gazprom the right hand of Putin. Fk yeah.

Financial fair play! Ha what a joke. Man City blatantly fkd that one over and what does everyone do? Nothing.

The players - Oh I love football. All I play for is the love of grassroots football. Who do you play for? Oh PSG but that doesnt count.

And on and on it goes.

Not saying that the Super League is right or wrong, Im still processing it, but Im sick of listening to so called lovers of the game when in fact they sold out years ago. Lets say it gets cancelled. What happens then. A fair league? A fair champions league? Bollox it is. There will be Man City winning most years. Maybe the oil money from Chelsea. Every now and again Utd or Liverpool might get in like doing a Leicester. But the real challengers of City will be the likes of Newcastle or whoever the next blood money club that comes along. UEFA and FIFA will still be running their mafia, taking bribes and pretending its all so pure and for the love of football.

Lets get real people. Football sold out years ago. Super League is just another example of it. And not even the worst of it.
Have to agree. The Super League is the clubs wanting more control of the massive amounts of money that European club competitions bring in.

Member 101269

Itll quickly lose its novel feeling and just be standard games and dilute the product. This, if it does happen, will not properly work out as they hope. Not a chance. I seriously hope UEFA proves good on their threats and bans all ESL players from national competition. They'll choose they'd rather stay with clubs in normal domestic league structures and the Champions League, which means you'll have a group of players only interested in money and the rest of world football operating as normal, only without these 12 name brands. And it'll die a quick death while the rest of the teams take off.
So playing Barca, RM etc will lose it's feeling yet playing Burnley, Brighton will not or isnt a standard games and diluted. The duality.

You want UEFA and guys running the game on £1m + with all their historic issues.. They're like babies throwing the toys out of the pram.

Lets wait and see..

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
To move to the country that enabled and directly contributed to it. Yeah.

He’s made it quite clear that he doesn’t care about other people so he wouldn’t care about his fellow Syrians cause he’s alright.

Unless he wants to show he’s a hypocrite.
You're a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.