The January Centre Midfielder Market

Rolaholic

Would Gravenberch on loan be possible?

He hasn't played much at all this season and we need reinforcements after Eriksen and VDB's injuries.

Maybe a short term reunion with ETH might be attractive to reignite his career

croadyman

He hasn't played much at all this season and we need reinforcements after Eriksen and VDB's injuries.

Yeah can't understand not trying to do something,no good waiting because may not get update on Eriksen until window has closed

NoPace

What's up with that and why aren't we all over it?
Not sure. I guess he's been dropped and they're playing Barella-Calhanoglu-Mkitharyan as a midfield 3 in a 3-5-2 which seems lightweight.

I think ideally we'd just take him on loan for 4 months for a decent fee to them, with an option to buy. We get depth and don't commit to anything, they get some money and hope he excels in a logical setup for him and can be sold for a good number. I do think it would probably be worth overpaying and spending 15M from the budget (his wages plus a decent loan fee) this summer to get quality cover like that, like Chelsea did with Joao Felix. Securing top 4 is that important.

croadyman

Not sure. I guess he's been dropped and they're playing Barella-Calhanoglu-Mkitharyan as a midfield 3 in a 3-5-2 which seems lightweight.

I think ideally we'd just take him on loan for 4 months for a decent fee to them, with an option to buy. We get depth and don't commit to anything, they get some money and hope he excels in a logical setup for him and can be sold for a good number. I do think it would probably be worth overpaying and spending 15M from the budget (his wages plus a decent loan fee) this summer to get quality cover like that, like Chelsea did with Joao Felix. Securing top 4 is that important.
Yeah surely it's not difficult to make this kind of deal happen with uncertainty over injury to a key player. We are gonna wait it out and will be too late by then I just know it

NoPace

Yeah surely it's not difficult to make this kind of deal happen with uncertainty over injury to a key player. We are gonna wait it out and will be too late by then I just know it
Even if Eriksen is fine, getting Brozovic in would be huge for rotation and insurance and we could start him and have Eriksen or Bruno come off the bench sometimes which would be really nice to have as an option.

Sell McTominay and that pays for it. Even if that's already earmarked for a longer term CM and we need to save some money after doing this by replacing Maguire on the cheap or selling Elanga or Pellistri I think it's worth it. Finishing 5th would be a disaster at this point and the odds suggest there's about a 25% chance of it, but if you told me Eriksen is only going to play say 12 of the last 18 games I'd say it's closer to 50/50. We look fairly hopeless without his vertical passing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

suheilsworld

I for one am really worried we have not brought in a midfielder to provide us cover for the hectic schedule ahead. Considering we are in 3 competitions and fighting for top 4, one injury or suspension to Casemiro will ruin our push and form

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hope we have something cooking. :nervous:

Fred starting instead of Eriksen is downgrade enough. But with the amount of games we have, it also means more McTominay too.....

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Hope we have something cooking. :nervous:

Fred starting instead of Eriksen is downgrade enough. But with the amount of games we have, it also means more McTominay too.....
Considering a bid? Preparing a bid? What about these stages?

Ludens the Red

Yeah we need to get a body in, regardless of who. Cannot go into the next three months with our midfield options being Casemiro, Fred, Mctominay and Bruno…

davbon

What about Marcel Sabitzer from Bayern? Doesn't seem to play much for them and could be a good Eriksen replacement until the end of the season.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don't want to sound too dramatic, but it feels like we are throwing our season away If we don't act today.

PoTMS

This is the problem with the club. Reactive rather than proactive. Why haven't any players been identified as contingencies prior to this window?

Morpheus 7

United could have lost Casemerio at start of January too and Glazers wouldn't do nothing. They have shown there hand now fully, don't care what happens the club. Don't be giving me too late, no intention of spending anything.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We’ll have a few players in each position scouted and ready to move on quickly. Very lucky this happened before the window closes and not just after!

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
We just have to caught up £40m from somewhere today and buy Ruben Neves. Contract expires in 2024.

CM

We’ll have a few players in each position scouted and ready to move on quickly. Very lucky this happened before the window closes and not just after!
The window closes tonight and there hasn't even been a murmur of us moving for anyone else. We're not signing anybody

Godfather

"We have players who can fill the gap." Ten Hag had this to say in his presser.
Not really sadly. We have no playmakers. Sure Fred has his uses but he can't dictate the game like Eriksen can. And McT is useless. Should look for a loan deal or find some money in the Glazers's pocket to spend this Jan. They can price it in for the buyer of the club anyway.

CM

We’ve known for a few days that Eriksen could be out for a while.
And we have owners who are reticent to spend any money. Our need for another body in midfield predates the Eriksen injury and domestic loans are out of the question. Just wait and see.

Sparky Rhiwabon

And we have owners who are reticent to spend any money. Our need for another body in midfield predates the Eriksen injury and domestic loans are out of the question. Just wait and see.
Why are domestic loans out of the question? Aren’t Arsenal literally loaning Jorginho today?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Personally, I don’t think Fred for Eriksen weakens us. Eriksen has some different qualities, but also different weaknesses, and I think Fred is of sufficient quality that the net outcome doesn’t weaken us.

Any combination involving McTominay will weaken us a fair bit though. I’d like to see us do a deal. I think we should be trying to loan Sander Berge if possible, and then there are options in Spain/Italy potentially.

CM

Why are domestic loans out of the question? Aren’t Arsenal literally loaning Jorginho today?
We already have Butland and Weghorst on loan from two English clubs, which is the limit. Jorginho isn't a loan either, he's signing for Arsenal on a permanent deal.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Personally, I don’t think Fred for Eriksen weakens us. Eriksen has some different qualities, but also different weaknesses, and I think Fred is of sufficient quality that the net outcome doesn’t weaken us.

Any combination involving McTominay will weaken us a fair bit though. I’d like to see us do a deal. I think we should be trying to loan Sander Berge if possible, and then there are options in Spain/Italy potentially.
Fred isn't a problem as long as Casemiro plays. Him and McT together is a problem. It might mean Bruno having to drop back and just hope Sancho is back.

CM

Berge can't happen unless we sign him permanently or cancel the Butland loan.