The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughtersassassin

Spurs have signed 3 players already while not losing anyone major from their team.

We have lost a lot of players and signed no one. We ain't serious and we ain't trying to be either

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Murtough's records so far as DOF:

Cons:
1) Sacked Ole too late
2) Appointed a gegenpressing coach for the laziest squad in PL which only capable of playing counter attacking football
3) It was obvious that the players can't play gegenpressing after 1 month but no reinforcement allowed. Threw our season away in Nov.
4) Appointed a coach who is more well know to be DOF/Consultant to assist to rebuild the club. But he was also sacked from the consultant roles 6 months in
5) Transfers dealing in and out seems no improvement at all (early days still?)

Pros:
1) Appointed ETH (much better coach than Ole/Rangnick/LVG/Moyes/Jose)
2) Revamp the scouting department (This department was a joke, can't even name a good striker in Jan and Rangnick can named 3, the scouts were rightly sacked)
3) Established new football structure in the club (The club trying to get the right people for the football side of things fitness, medical, data analysis, nutrition, Deputy DOF, TD and etc)
4) Addressing our toxic dressing room issues and leaks to curb players'' power

The jury is still out but at least he is doing something which Ed doesn't give a feck at all for the last 10 years. Hope we can see real results on the field soon and overall improvement on football side of things at the club.
Has the scouting department been revamped? Yes some people left but were there replacements?

DeGea’sFeet

We can only judge relative to our rivals and other teams.

We’ve been chasing de Jong for how many weeks? In that time Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, City have all strengthen. Granted City announced their deals a while ago but will anyone be surprised if City announced another signing and we’re still left on Read by de Jong ?

While waiting for de Jong couldn’t we have started negotiations for a striker, CDM etc if anything getting deals in might convince him we are serious.

Yakuza_devils

So not really then. Reporting lines are different but its the same scouts with different lead from an internal promotion.
Murtough and ETH are also more directly involved now. However, to me, most importantly the 2 useless head scouts are gone. Our dismal records for the last decade say it all. We need to restart from somewhere. This is a good start.

Cassidy

Murtough and ETH are also more directly involved now. However, to me, most importantly the 2 useless head scouts are gone. Our dismal records for the last decade say it all. We need to restart from somewhere. This is a good start.
That is not really an improvement on the actual scouting though is it. There is work to do here still I suspect

Yakuza_devils

It means nothing until they prove it with some success. We've loads of articles talking about the change but nothing seems any different
Absolutely, we are in results based business. That's why I stated that the jury is still out. Murtough needs to improve fast and show results. He can't afford to have another bad season.

Yakuza_devils

That is not really an improvement on the actual scouting though is it. There is work to do here still I suspect
We shall see this window. Still early days. As I said, at the very least we have a new start rather than still relying on our failed 10 years scouting heads.

Edit: The same scouting heads that can't name a good striker that we badly need in Jan.

JoaquinJoaquin

Something people a year from now will realise isn't even a positive.
Come on man. I detest nearly everything about the way the club is at the moment, but if you can't see how hiring ETH is a good thing then you need to put that energy into something different than United.

Cassidy

We shall see this window. Still early days. As I said, at the very least we have a new start rather than still relying on our failed 10 years scouting heads.

Edit: The same scouting heads that can't name a good striker that we badly need in Jan.
The same actual scouts though….

Utuhu

We have not still outgrown this lazy pattern of being stuck on one transfer for too long. If FDJ is not interested, Move on to other targets. What happened to the logic of Plan A and Plan B?

romufc

Eth will maybe fail but he was obvious choice to hire. Murtough did good there.
But regarding transfers, so far he is just Ed's replica.
How so?

How can you judge someone before a transfer window has finished? Or do you want him to be Ed replica so you can say "I told you so"?

Dan_F

Example of the above
People will have to accept missing out on targets if we aren’t over paying. The guy is clearly going to want more money to join a club significantly richer and worse, let alone not being in the champions league.

ETH is literally the only reason we have a shot at a player like Frenkie.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's already showing signs of being expendable. It's not like there haven't been opportunities Paul Mitchell was free not to long ago, Rangnick ideally should have actually been given the role of a DOF before he was even considered a manager. Dan Ashworths work with Brighton is also a notable mention.

The biggest issue with Murtough is he has absolutely no credibility to fall back on, he has no experience to the degree of being the right individual to move United forward. The way I see it is the glazers have just moved the goal posts with the replacing of Woodward and fans have lapped it up. All the way through the hierarchy there are non-football individuals making footballing decisions.

Andy O’Boyle can be thrown into the same mix he's the deputy director of football. Club should have gone for a tried and tested like Edwin.
Not this again. VDS is NOT a DoF. He’s the CEO of Ajax, the head honcho, the main man, numero uno. Why would he downgrade his CV to take that on?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Not this again. VDS is NOT a DoF. He’s the CEO of Ajax, the head honcho, the main man, numero uno. Why would he downgrade his CV to take that on?
He also focuses on the commerical side of Ajax. So basically Ajax’s Ed.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He's already showing signs of being expendable. It's not like there haven't been opportunities Paul Mitchell was free not to long ago, Rangnick ideally should have actually been given the role of a DOF before he was even considered a manager. Dan Ashworths work with Brighton is also a notable mention.

The biggest issue with Murtough is he has absolutely no credibility to fall back on, he has no experience to the degree of being the right individual to move United forward. The way I see it is the glazers have just moved the goal posts with the replacing of Woodward and fans have lapped it up. All the way through the hierarchy there are non-football individuals making footballing decisions.

Andy O’Boyle can be thrown into the same mix he's the deputy director of football. Club should have gone for a tried and tested like Edwin.
Murtough has no experience? Jeez !

alexanderplatz

Everyone should relax. It’s holiday season after a gruelling two years or so for players, they could be forgiven for taking a break first. European players have mostly come off a reasonable four games in ten days as well. Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s no traction for another couple of weeks to be honest. Do I wish we’d get our business done quickly like others have? Yes. Am I going to lose my head because other clubs have triggered release clauses or signed players for 5-10m (not really challenging negotiation scenarios)? No.

roseguy64

Yes, talking to Nunez: as in "hello, mate, how are you? Are you enjoying your holiday?" Meanwhile Liverpool got the deal done in almost no time... same old, same old from the club
You have absolutely no idea how long Liverpool were talking to him too.

Melissa Reddy mentioned that Liverpool were tracking him in April of this year.

Also, Liverpool paid way more than we would deem acceptable for him. Of course they got him, not even mentioning that Liverpool would be a more attractive prospect to play for right now if you're a neutral party.

roseguy64

You're expecting a tried and tested football director to accept a deputy role?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The Glazers have United fans getting giddy about not spending too much money now. They really are playing a stormer, got to give them their due.
So what is it you actually want then?

We’ve spent a billion on players and that’s not good enough.

We are now fed up of being taken for a ride and putting our foot down and again that’s not good enough.

So how would you play it?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I have no faith in him at all, he’s not qualified for the job.
Sigh. @Adnan has plenty of posts that highlight why he is qualified and in great detail too.

Can we get these stickied? @mods? Actually being serious. Fed up of seeing the same old shite with no real substance posted all the time about Murtough.

Seij

Funny how when we signed Ronaldo, Varane, and Sancho, people were saying "Look! This is the Murtough difference!!" Now, it's "They just started! You can't blame them for anything yet, it's all Woody!!!"

It's been 16 months since Murtough was appointed as DOF.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Funny how when we signed Ronaldo, Varane, and Sancho, people were saying "Look! This is the Murtough difference!!" Now, it's "They just started! You can't blame them for anything yet, it's all Woody!!!"

It's been 16 months since Murtough was appointed as DOF.
Not quite true.

Murtough hasn’t had FULL control of all footballing matters since Woodward left in March I believe. Up until then it was still Woodward calling the shots and Murtough had to still report to him. Now people report to Murtough.

Seij

Not quite true.

Murtough hasn’t had FULL control of all footballing matters since Woodward left in March I believe. Up until then it was still Woodward calling the shots and Murtough had to still report to him. Now people report to Murtough.
So, which part of what I said above is not true?

Status
Not open for further replies.