The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The coward doesn't even show himself in the media to face the heat and answer questions when things are bad. Unmitigated disaster clown.

TheReligion

Abusive
If the club is performing badly it affects the amount of money they can take from the club. Of course they care about that. Greedy people always want more.

Personly I think a big issue is there dad built the business empire and they arn’t as business savvy as he was, so people like Woodward, and now Murtough and Arnold can take them for ride.

But of course they care that the club is successful, they haven’t done what Ashley did at Newcastle and run the club on a show string budget spending the bare minimum, they have allowed Woodward and now Murtough and Arnold. ( and Ten Hag) to spend huge. Why cos they want the club to be a champions league club becuase they can milk us for more money that way. The problem they don’t know anything about football and that’s reflected in the people they have choose to run the club.
Arnold, Murtough and Ten Hag have spent huge?!

Must have missed that

Idxomer

Still hasn't bought anyone since overpaying massively for Martinez, unbelievable.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Remember the start of the summer when all the PR was coming out about him being a shrewd negotiator and United looking like they have a solid plan..

hobbers

Garner the only asset after Murtough and his team of analytics geniuses signed off on £50m for AWB. Now not even worth £5m.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I mean he's useless, but at the same time is working under the constraints our owners have set him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Garner the only asset after Murtough and his team of analytics geniuses signed off on £50m for AWB. Now not even worth £5m.
Murtough wasn't in his role during this time. It was Woodward + the team of scouts he hired. Murtough came in to his role properly in February 22 after Arnold was officially CEO, and sacked 2 lead scouts not long after.

hobbers

Murtough wasn't in his role during this time. It was Woodward + the team of scouts he hired. Murtough came in to his role properly in February 22 after Arnold was officially CEO, and sacked 2 lead scouts not long after.
Yes I know he wasn't technically the football director then but of course he had input on the scouts and especially the analysts Woodward hired. Murtough was the one who set up the data science department that crunched the numbers on those 804 right backs.

Shinjch

With every passing day, he shows himself to be more out of his depth. An appalling appointment.

Kaos

I listend to Manchester is Red poscast and they basically said what i think- the only Garner is the only sellable asset. We must cash short.
I mean we have a dud in Rashford who PSG are supposedly willing to take off our hands. Or have they decided he's not sellable because the google ads and PR.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
2 weeks after Brighton game and guy did shit. This clown needs to go as soon as transfer window is closed

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
He is employed by the glazers to do their bidding. They made decent money. Even if they sell they'll easily pocket the whole of 5-6bil nearly. For them him and Ed did a fantastic job. They chased fdj for full summer and give excuse that he didn't want to come and sign nobody.
Not for a single moment i think they were holding up for that 17 mil. I sincerely believe that's their game plan. The cnuts

ChorltonReds

A month or so ago reports came out (via Steve Bates at The Sunday People/Mirror i think) that the hierarchy didn't understand why they were being criticised and that the transfer window was all going to plan etc.. I'd love to know where he got that story from and what those same people think now, as Murtough and Arnold are having an absolute mare.

Yakuza_devils

At the close of the window, if he can't signs players required for the rebuild he needs to go. No ifs or buts. The fans should make sure that it happened. We can't live with this incompetency anymore. Enough is enough. We should also target the Glazers and Arnold.

Infra-red

2 weeks after Brighton game and guy did shit. This clown needs to go as soon as transfer window is closed
To be fair to him, he's simply out of his depth. It's almost as if one of the biggest, richest and most high profile clubs in the world should have appointed someone with at least some experience, in such an important role.

Instead, we've got another guy fumbling around without a clue, trying to learn on the job.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The Glazers don't want a world class CEO, Scouts and top class football Directors. They want yes men.

The Sheikh went to Barcelona and said we like what you've done here at Barca. Come run my club and I will double your salary.

What's difficult about that? All the Glazers had to do was go and get proven top class officials in from elsewhere but they refused to and still refuse to given that Arnold and Murtough were already here in other roles.

Utter shambles.

RashyGiggsy

Here is an article from Yahoo Sports that I believe accurately sums up the problems.

How Manchester United sunk into recurring crisis

Everyone: pundits, sportswriters, players (it seems), coaches/managers, fans keep shouting about signing this player or that player. The problem is that United don't have a plan in place. Ole talked like he had one, then he went out, signed Ronaldo going against everything that he was supposedly planning. It made no sense. His plan was to target young players and play fast, counter-attacking football ---------- Ronaldo? ------------- How did he fit that plan?? Of course, it is not all about Ronaldo!

We (fans, pundits, sportswriters) cry out that McTominay and Fred are worthless, but they are being asked to play in ways that they are not capable of. What is the plan? Then we get angry because our forward players, who have been playing as counterattacking threats for most of their career, are now being asked to play in a different system with little service from midfielders who don't know how to play in the system. So, we just shout for random replacement players so that we can rebegin the cycle.

I think that what is first needed is to install a real football first front office. Then, we need to clear out players that do not fit the plan for the type of football that United wants to play. It can't be overly manager specific; you hire managers that fit your style. Currently, it seems that high-pressing, ball control, 4-3-3 (more or less), similar to Liverpool, City, Bayern is what United is aiming for. So, clear out players who cannot play that style. It does not mean that these players are crap, it simply means that this style does not suit them. For example, I still think that Wan Bissaka is an excellent right back in a counterattacking team where he is not expected to go forward in attack but sit back and play defense. The same could be said for McTominay as a midfielder.

I'm tired of United being reactive! There needs to be a plan, and the appropriate players need to be signed and the appropriate players need to be brought through the academy. The academy needs to play the same system as the first team.

I'm tired of pundits, sportswriters, and fans being reactive, also! I don't care where we finish this year as long as we get a plan in place and follow it. (I don't want to get relegated; that would screw things up.)

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
don't believe everything you read. There's no way he has the audacity to do that without the approval of the manager given the midfielders we have lost.

I'm still not buying the fact he's up for sale either given how McF have performed so far
Even if EtH said sell, we shouldn't. Otherwise, might as well make our manager a DoF as well.

And £15m is a joke in any case.

SER19

This has genuinely been the worst transfer window in history in terms of chaos and lack of any discernible plan.

The phrase embarrassing is massively overused in sport, but we are an international embarrassment this window. The flip flopping on garner and Ronaldo also undermines the manager and its made all the worse by the fact that we were all under the assumption Rangnicks many months were just about ticking over while real clear strategy was developed behind the scenes.

Its genuinely hard to comprehend how incompetent these people on huge salaries can appear. You need quality at every level on and off field and we just exude mediocrity.

If ten hag had wanted rabiot, gakpo, dest or others, these were deals that could have been done simply back in early June.

It was very clear where this was going when we started pre season matches with an unchanged side. I was genuinely in shock given how long we had to plan and how clear our weaknesses were. I wonder if all the 'level head' top reds will have learned that criticism isn't hysteria.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
To be fair to him, he's simply out of his depth. It's almost as if one of the biggest, richest and most high profile clubs in the world should have appointed someone with at least some experience, in such an important role.

Instead, we've got another guy fumbling around without a clue, trying to learn on the job.
That is something with which i am struggling to understand for years now. You own company worth 3,5 billion euros. Why on earth you hire on key positions rookies/dross like Ole and Murtough while you can afford best people in the business? And at the same time you don't have a problem spending 80 million on average defenders or giving huge wages to players like Jones? I don't get it....

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
That is something with which i am struggling to understand for years now. You own company worth 3,5 billion euros. Why on earth you hire on key positions rookies/dross like Ole and Murtough while you can afford best people in the business? And at the same time you don't have a problem spending 80 million on average defenders or giving huge wages to players like Jones? I don't get it....
Because no one with experience will want to be shackled by the Glazers, what should happen, and what does happen at most high functioning businesses is business owners pay experts to do their thing whilst the owners make the money.

Here, we have the owners wanting to control everything which leads to no one worth their salt wanting to work under those conditions, what should happen is they set the budget etc and tell the experienced CEO/DoF to do whatever it takes to be successful within that budget.

The fact we see reports about Joel Glazer having to sign off on transfers means no one at this club has autonomy, it all goes through the owners, if transfers go through the owners I'm assuming most other medium to large decisions go through them as well.

I've been critical of Murtough and the rest of the useless cronies in charge but we can't hire experienced people when they're being micro managed, its why you have Fletcher, Murtough and Arnold in high positions.

Imagine being a waiter and your boss kept on telling you to show them if the table is set correctly before being able to sit people, then once sat, the boss tells you to come to him before you greet them so he can show you how to do it properly, and so on, it's the definition of micro management and you can see why the business is failing because of it.

Glazers need to go.

Roboc7

Because the best people in the business would speak up about the shambles club is in and demand control/power over key decisions. Any one decent wouldn’t last long.

Murtough is a muppet the owners can ignore, use as a scapegoat and use to appease fans by pretending they are making big changes. From his perspective he’s got a job and a salary no one would ever either consider giving him elsewhere.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I think it’s safe to be say that his appointment has been a fecking disaster.

soapythecat

I hope the hopeless pair of fat pricks (Arnold and Murtough) get some shit from fans on Monday too.
Absolute bellends, giving it Billy big bollocks about how the club are doing x,y and a to right the wrongs and we are actually worse.
Club’s truly fecked

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Because the best people in the business would speak up about the shambles club is in and demand control/power over key decisions. Any one decent wouldn’t last long.

Murtough is a muppet the owners can ignore, use as a scapegoat and use to appease fans by pretending they are making big changes. From his perspective he’s got a job and a salary no one would ever either consider giving him elsewhere.
I understand what are you saying but i disagree. They don't care for what fans are thinking. Or even if they do care it is still about money. You don't need to be good in business to know that choosing right and proven employees will give you more money.
Why to damage your income just because you want "yes man". That is what politicians do, not business people

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Arnold, Murtough and Ten Hag have spent huge?!

Must have missed that
They have spent £50 million on a centre back, that’s pretty huge for a player with the amount question marks over him he has.

I know your blind faith in Murtough though I’m sure not even the panic bids for players like Arnautovic and Rabiot won’t have shaken that

hobbers

3 months time wasted and now the clownshow has 2 weeks to sign 3+ players.

Took him 3 weeks just to fail to sign Rabiot.

TheReligion

Abusive
They have spent £50 million on a centre back, that’s pretty huge for a player with the amount question marks over him he has.

I know your blind faith in Murtough though I’m sure not even the panic bids for players like Arnautovic and Rabiot won’t have shaken that
£50m isn’t ‘huge money’ anymore.

The club hasn’t spent ‘huge money’ this summer. It needed to spend ‘huge money’ though, as Rangnick pointed out, and that’s why we are in a mess.

Not sure what the blind faith dig is about, or the relevance. I’m just pointing out you’re deluded if you think the club has spent ‘huge money’ this summer. It’s quite the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.