The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhinav

Unless he pulls a rabbit out of the hat in the next 3 weeks, he would have overseen one of the most disastrous windows since Woodwards 1st one.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just move him aside and get someone proper to come and deal with our recruitment. He can do other stuff there like improving the facilities or deal with the youth set up, I don't care, anything to move him away from an area he's not qualified nor suitable for.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
His early era is already looking like a disasterclass as some of us predicted when others were getting excited about all the 'big changes' behind the scenes.

Latest rumours show we're still trying to short cut our way to success by buying yesterday's players rather doing some actual scouting and building for the future like everyone else.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Woodward was miles better than this clown and wasn’t even supposed to be involved in the footballing side of things.

TrueRed79

I said after the end of last season that having three novices in major positions at the club would see us in big trouble this season. Murtough, Fletcher and Arnold are not best in class. Coupled with a manager who's used to managing a club in a very structured environment, it's a recipe for disaster. Murtough has shown absolutely nothing but his ability to make himself look a laughing stock. What we have seen so far with the appointment of Rangnick and the multiple sackings he has delivered, i don't see any tangible progress from his side of the job.

Infra-red

His early era is already looking like a disasterclass as some of us predicted when others were getting excited about all the 'big changes' behind the scenes.

Latest rumours show we're still trying to short cut our way to success by buying yesterday's players rather doing some actual scouting and building for the future like everyone else.
There won't be any kind of plan in place now. Murtough and Arnold won't even have time to think any of this through - it will be pure, deer in the headlights, panic. I expect it is utter mayhem at OT and in Stratton Street at the moment.

Roboc7

I understand what are you saying but i disagree. They don't care for what fans are thinking. Or even if they do care it is still about money. You don't need to be good in business to know that choosing right and proven employees will give you more money.
Why to damage your income just because you want "yes man". That is what politicians do, not business people
They care about appeasing fans so they keep spending. Green and Gold until club is sold was really Green and Gold until we do a bit better. They know new signings, a new structure, a new manager all these things but time and appease discontent with new hope.

They are running a different business to what you are thinking. They’re not damaging their income, they take their dividends, their consultancy fees, sell off shares with no voting and borrow money from the club. That’s the purpose not success, they believe the brand sustains failure and they can keep monetising it.

They don’t appoint the best by design, a top DOF would be a nightmare for them, they don’t want or need one.

Castia

Been pictured flying all over Europe this fecker :lol:

Absolutely useless.

dove

What did people expect really. This guy just like Arnold have been part of the same incompetent failure of a management for years. They naturally just continue where Ed left off, arguably we are even worse now.

Trex

I opened this thread because I was excited at the prospect of what he'll do giving the opportunity to lead the sporting project at united, but I must say giving how the summer have panned out things don't look good.
I expected a project were United would target players majorly 25 and younger, players who would see United as a step up from their current club. The players we have gotten so far Martinez, Malacia and Eriksen look like good buys. Eriksen doesn't fit the best years ahead profile but he was free not on insane wage and is known to be a top pro so a good addition.
Where we have gotten all wrong is hedging all bets on De Jong in midfield and the lack of proper planning to make additions to an attack that largely struggled last year and was further weakened by departures and the whole Ronaldo saga.
We still haven't moved away from our "Messiah syndrome" were we target a big name with the idea he'll come and save us all, we did this with Di Maria, Pogba, Ibrahomovic, Ronaldo and now De Jong, I don't know if we're contractually obligated to our sponsors make a splashy signing every summer for publicity sake otherwise I can't fathom why we'll go into the season with McFred giving how dire they have been in previous seasons, we could have gone for other target maybe not as readily good as De Jong but we're clearly not competing at the top end at the moment so there's time to develop someone who is slightly behind that, our De Jong budget could have gotten Bissouma and Lozano or someone else, not as flashy but we don't need flashy right now.
The Ronaldo saga is another odd scenario, a player who no other top team wants to touch but yet we're holding onto him for dear life, a football great but he is 36, our project would need atleast three years to come to fruition yet we're holding on to a player who would be just about to turn 40 by then, we clearly dragged our foot in bringing in offensive reinforcement all summer now we get linked to Vardy, Arnautovic and the likes, what good will they be in three years. We have signed just one out and out 9 with age on his side in almost 10 years post SAF yet we keep going for this short term fix that turn out not so great in the long run because it gives newly appointed managers nothing to work with.
Writing all this I realize were all this problem come from, the fact we'll remain a commercial project more so than a sporting project means we'll struggle to ever get back to our former glory regardless of who the manager is.
Glazer out!!

AdNani

i gave him the benefit of the doubt and he still has time, but this window has been nothing short of a shambles so far.

Godfather

The Glazers will absolutely love that guy. The boni from all that saved money :drool:. Nothing spent in January, next to nothing in the summer. They'll declare him a fecking hero

Zoo

He needs to speak publicly this is a shambles. What’s going on and what’s the plan to move forward and improve? Someone with this much power can’t stay quiet in the background when things are like this.

Vapor trail

Woodward has shown himself to be more competent, it's an embarrassment at this moment in time. There's genuinely not one thing anyone can say about Murtough, Arnold or the Glazers that is a positive. All three are incompetent in their associated roles.

Godfather

What did people expect really. This guy just like Arnold have been part of the same incompetent failure of a management for years. They naturally just continue where Ed left off, arguably we are even worse now.
It was interesting to see many scutally believed things would change under that guy

pascell

This guy best be given his p45 when this window closes. Was never, ever good enough to take us back to the top, awful appointment from the moment he stepped foot in the club.

Suv666

This cnut will run the club into the ground.
Fire these fools. Get competent and experienced outside hires who have worked at top clubs and possess the skills needed to run a football club

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Not gonna lie, I have nothing but respect for this guy. He makes Woodward look like a footballing genius.

And not a lot can achieve that.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Wonder if he's embarrassed about his paparazzi photo stunt in Turin now.
I was so embarrassed when I saw that. He looked quite pleased with himself too. /it's like United gives folks in certain positions delusions of granduer :rolleyes:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They care about appeasing fans so they keep spending. Green and Gold until club is sold was really Green and Gold until we do a bit better. They know new signings, a new structure, a new manager all these things but time and appease discontent with new hope.

They are running a different business to what you are thinking. They’re not damaging their income, they take their dividends, their consultancy fees, sell off shares with no voting and borrow money from the club. That’s the purpose not success, they believe the brand sustains failure and they can keep monetising it.

They don’t appoint the best by design, a top DOF would be a nightmare for them, they don’t want or need one.
But club is losing on its value. So if shares are dropping, they will get hundreds of millions less when they will want to sell the club. No?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
£50m isn’t ‘huge money’ anymore.

The club hasn’t spent ‘huge money’ this summer. It needed to spend ‘huge money’ though, as Rangnick pointed out, and that’s why we are in a mess.

Not sure what the blind faith dig is about, or the relevance. I’m just pointing out you’re deluded if you think the club has spent ‘huge money’ this summer. It’s quite the opposite.
For player the standing of Martinez of it is huge money. But fair enough point.

Coops73

He seems to be making a clusterfeck of his job so far but how much of that is down to the cnuts above him who knows?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We have literally no money and an idiot in charge. What a time to be a United fan.

Roboc7

But club is losing on its value. So if shares are dropping, they will get hundreds of millions less when they will want to sell the club. No?
The value of the club is what they say it is, and if any more non voting shares are sold they’ll wait for financial markets to recover.

In the meantime they just keep taking their money, people need to stop kidding themselves that the Glazers are going to start running a football club and completely change their business model one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.