The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Murtough needs a reliable partner by his side, someone who is tormented by demons that only he can exorcise. Together, they could be a lethal combo. Give it Giggsy?

clarkydaz

Mick Court is one of the 3 recruitment heads who was part of the transfer committee.

Reminds me of the reports Woodward knew nothing about the Superleage. but knew beforehand it wouldnt go down well so was gonna leave anyway. And how Ed done the Ronaldo deal so quickly because he was very acquainted with Juventus, because they were in close talks about the superleague, but Ed wasnt even there or knew anything about it, because he didnt even know what a Superleague was, and to this day still doesnt

lsd

The Oracle
Literally every decision you ever make is a gamble, what a daft comment.

Look Ten Hag has a hard enough job as it is. Just maybe we should wait and see if he is successful at it before hailing the guy who appointed him. That's all.

Roboc7

We know from reports that the recruitment staff vetoed Maguire and were not happy with the Fernandes signing. We also now know that they weren't involved in the AWB signing.

So on whose authority were they signed? You can't look past Phelan and Simon Wells. I don't know any other successful big club that allows their head coach (not manager) to sign players whilst utilising scouts that are independent from the club's own recruitment staff. The last time I saw that happen at another big club, was at Liverpool under Brendan Rodgers and Michael Edwards was ridiculed by fans and media alike.
We don’t know they weren’t involved in AWB signing, it’s widely reported they were, conflicting information doesn’t disprove that. You can’t pas you’re own opinion off as fact.

Players are signed on basis of a consensus as part of a Committee, circumstances change, opinions change. We don’t know what happens behind closed doors but it’s extremely unlikely a scouting network, committee and board that vetoed Jose were walked all over by Ole.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Reminds me of the reports Woodward knew nothing about the Superleage. but knew beforehand it wouldnt go down well so was gonna leave anyway. And how Ed done the Ronaldo deal so quickly because he was very acquainted with Juventus, because they were in close talks about the superleague, but Ed wasnt even there or knew anything about it, because he didnt even know what a Superleague was, and to this day still doesnt
Woodward will do what the Glazers tell him. The same happened at Liverpool other clubs.

It's also irrelevant what Woodward did or didn't do when the decision makers were the owners.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Look Ten Hag has a hard enough job as it is. Just maybe we should wait and see if he is successful at it before hailing the guy who appointed him. That's all.
It won't change whether it was the right move or not. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. Nobody can know that before they start.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We don’t know they weren’t involved in AWB signing, it’s widely reported they were, conflicting information doesn’t disprove that. You can’t pas you’re own opinion off as fact.

Players are signed on basis of a consensus as part of a Committee, circumstances change, opinions change. We don’t know what happens behind closed doors but it’s extremely unlikely a scouting network, committee and board that vetoed Jose were walked all over by Ole.
I'm not passing anything as fact. All I know is that the Manager had his own recruitment staff which was independent from the club's recruitment staff. And ultimately the buck stops with the one who is setting the mid to longterm plan, which was the manager and not a DoF figure because we didn't have one, hence Ole and Mourinho were allowed their own scouts.

If we see discrepancies here on in, then the buck stop with the one who is setting the mid to long-term plan, which is John Murtough.

Last edited:

Roboc7

I'm not passing anything as fact. All I know is that the Manager had his own recruitment staff which was independent from the club's own recruitment staff. And ultimately the buck stops with the one who is setting the mid to longterm plan, which was the manager and not a DoF figure because we didn't have one, hence Ole and Mourinho were allowed their own scouts.

If we see discrepancies here on in, then the buck stop with the one who is setting the mid to long-term plan, which is John Murtough.
You are staying opinions as fact by saying you know the recruitment team weren’t involved in signing AWB, you don’t. The manager had scouts, the club had scouts and a transfer committee with a veto. Ole and Jose probably had own scouts to help them make decisions and because they didn’t trust a club that had recruited so badly. There’s a good chance Ole and or Jose asked their scouts to look at players club recommended, what impact that had on who we did or didn’t sign none of us know but you are making misguided assumptions, ignoring other factors and attempting to pass things off as being facts.

Last three years we’ve recruited by Committee, whoever recommended the player doesn’t change likelihood that signings had to go through same process.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You are staying opinions as fact by saying you know the recruitment team weren’t involved in signing AWB, you don’t. The manager had scouts, the club had scouts and a transfer committee with a veto. Ole and Jose probably had own scouts to help them make decisions and because they didn’t trust a club that had recruited so badly. There’s a good chance Ole and or Jose asked their scouts to look at players club recommended, what impact that had on who we did or didn’t sign none of us know but you are making misguided assumptions, ignoring other factors and attempting to pass things off as being facts.

Last three years we’ve recruited by Committee, whoever recommended the player doesn’t change likelihood that signings had to go through same process.
Answer this question, who was at fault for Liverpool's awful recruitment record under Brendan Rodgers when they also had a transfer committee setup, led by Michael Edwards?

And what changed that the same recruitment setup at Liverpool (under Edwards) started to excel under Jurgen Klopp?

clarkydaz

Woodward will do what the Glazers tell him. The same happened at Liverpool other clubs.

It's also irrelevant what Woodward did or didn't do when the decision makers were the owners.
Glazers didnt tell Woodward to hire his own PR agent from the Sun to make him look good

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Glazers didnt tell Woodward to hire his own PR agent from the Sun to make him look good
Hiring PR agents is quite common and players, managers and executives do it.

That also has has nothing to do with your original post about the Super League, which was instigated by the Glazers, FSG and various other club owners and helped on it's way by their employees, which is normal and also irrelevant to the discussion we're having.

clarkydaz

Hiring PR agents is quite common and players, managers and executives do it.

That also has has nothing to do with your original post about the Super League, which was instigated by the Glazers, FSG and various other club owners and helped on it's way by their employees, which is normal and also irrelevant to the discussion we're having.
i said the twitter post reminds me of another example of nobody at the club taking responsibility and passing the buck. nothing to with who instigated the SL, its the denials afterwards

Adnan

Talent Spotter
i said the twitter post reminds me of another example of nobody at the club taking responsibility and passing the buck. nothing to with who instigated the SL, its the denials afterwards
The buck stops with the board and the respective managers post Fergie. And I've written long winded posts as to why I believe that to be the case.

MrSingh2002

Based on the two appointments so far I like it but Rangnik needs to be involved with Ten Hag for it to make any difference.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You’re making assumptions which aren’t correct. Take AWB signing, recruitment team filters down 804 right backs to a shortlist of 3-5. They then worked with Ole to agree a consensus on who to sign. Even if ultimate decision rested with Ole the recruitment department played a big role in the signing not just Ole and his scout.

Manager using personal scouts is common, they’ll recommend their players but also be used to give opinions on players recommended by the recruitment team. It’s perfectly reasonable for manager to ask advice/opinion of someone they trust, good chance Ten Hag will do the same. The club have recruited by Committee for 3 years and it’s been a disaster, can’t all be blamed on Ole, it’s collective failure.
This.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Answer this question, who was at fault for Liverpool's awful recruitment record under Brendan Rodgers when they also had a transfer committee setup, led by Michael Edwards?

And what changed that the same recruitment setup at Liverpool (under Edwards) started to excel under Jurgen Klopp?
Still waiting..

croadyman

First the appointment of Ralf Rangnick to take the helm as interim manager known for his progressive footballing philosophy after which he'll have enough insight to advice the board regarding the way forward.
Then the strategic process of hiring a manager who plays a brand of football united would be proud of most likely its going to be Ten Hag.
Early days but this seems promising, if we're this thorough and strategic regarding recruitment and awarding contracts then I feel its only a matter of time before we're back to competiting with the best sides.
Judge needs hauling over the coals about some of these ridiculous contracts our players are on

croadyman

Still too many question marks how will the board & Glazers react if Ralf & Erik cooperation will try overwhelm marketing side with football matters during the regular season. I guess for now we can demand Murtough in key moments to choose the right side and work for ruthless expansion, not conformism which is rotting the club atm.
Well I pray these yanks don't stick their nose in on Football business just because Erik might want to sell their marketing machines

didz

Still waiting..
I don't mean to jump in or anything, but based on your last question two possible answers come to mind.

For one, Klopp is a manager who knows what he's after and is pretty clear in expressing it. I imagine a recruitment team that is largely data-driven are ecstatic to be able to put weight behind things like pressing contributions and fast transition control accuracy.

And for another, experience maybe? Data driven recruitment has to adapt to football as much as vice versa. Some numbers are gonna be more important than others depending on the context, and sometimes analysts will understandably need some time to suss that out.

Basically, you can't properly use stats to recruit unless you know what to look for and how to look for it.

AneRu

Just like in 2015 when I thought we should have sacked LVG to get Klopp in I think we need tonegt rid of Murtough to get Ralf upstairs. People might trybto sanitize his involvement in past failures but he has been there through the shit show and we still have recruitment and poor contract extension issues (of Rashford and Shaw are in for new contracts in addition to Bruno's new one before we got a manager in).

The task ahead needs someone who has excelled in the mid tier market, someone who can spot a diamond in a heap of gravel. We are going to need about 8 to ten players over the next two to three windows and we can't afford to make previous mistakes whilst we can't afford to throw £60m - £80m on each signing.

We won't make that decision, obviously but I think we will continue to struggle until we become as ruthless to executives and players as we are to managers.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't mean to jump in or anything, but based on your last question two possible answers come to mind.

For one, Klopp is a manager who knows what he's after and is pretty clear in expressing it. I imagine a recruitment team that is largely data-driven are ecstatic to be able to put weight behind things like pressing contributions and fast transition control accuracy.

And for another, experience maybe? Data driven recruitment has to adapt to football as much as vice versa. Some numbers are gonna be more important than others depending on the context, and sometimes analysts will understandably need some time to suss that out.

Basically, you can't properly use stats to recruit unless you know what to look for and how to look for it.
Good post mate, I'm glad you jumped in and actually contributed something, which we can actually discuss. But before I give my opinion on the scouting method, I'd like to clear up the question I posed in my earlier post below.

There's also parallels to be drawn between what was happening at Liverpool during Brendan Rodgers' tenure, and what happened at United during the Mourinho and Ole era. All three of the aforementioned managers (not head coaches), wanted total control of the football side of the club and didn't want to work with a Sporting director. Brendan Rodgers for example is quoted as saying, that 'you won't find me at a club where there's a Sporting director'. Rodgers made it clear that he wanted a clear line of communication between himself and the Liverpool board. And FSG agreed to his demand, as well as the United board agreeing to Mourinho's demand of wanting total control of the football side of the club.

But in the modern game, clubs have now developed recruitment structures that have 50 + people dedicated to recruitment in multiple different departments. So what happened was that both United and Liverpool asked Rodgers and Mourinho to compromise and work within a transfer committee setup, whilst still having control of the mid to long-term strategy at the club. So what ended up happening was that two control freaks (Rodgers/Mourinho) who were accustomed to working with their own people when it came to recruitment, were now facing a obstacle in their way, which was the recruitment staff of the respective clubs.

Daniel Taylor of the Guardian reported in 2018 about the recruitment staff on the committee vetoing the Maguire signing due to him not being any better than the CBs already at the club. And the Liverpool recruitment department vetoed Rodgers from signing a certain Virgil Van Dijk from Celtic. And Rodgers confirmed that in a 2017 interview.

So things got very messy as you can imagine. And according to reports from Merseyside, Rodgers was pissed off and approached the board and wanted them to sanction the signing of Benteke, whilst the recruitment department disagreed and put forth the idea of signing Firminho instead. So according to the Liverpool media, the board allowed Rodgers to sign Bentenke against the wishes of the transfer committee, and to appease the transfer committee, the board also went ahead and signed Firminho from Hoffenheim. That's what you call incompetence of the Liverpool board. Firminho comes in, and as he's not a Rodgers signing, he's played as a winger, wingback and then also left out of the team.

So the above is basically saying that having a transfer committee in conjunction with a manager who doesn't want to work with people outside of his circle is a setup doomed to fail, like we've seen at both Liverpool and United. And if you flip that around and have a head coach/DoF model instead, then you don't need a committee because the head coach and DoF are in-sync, when it comes to the mid to long-term strategy.

So the difference between what happened at Liverpool under Rodgers and what is happening under Klopp is simple, and that is that Klopp embraced Liverpool's recruitment department and Rodgers didn't. Klopp understood his role as the head coach and left the recruitment department to control recruitment and select targets for his way of playing a proactive attacking brand of football. And the same Michael Edwards who had become a laughing stock among Liverpool fans, was now labelled a genius. They didn't need Rangnick or Monchi etc to tell them how to recruit, all it took was for Jurgen Klopp to guide them via his way of playing a proactive, attacking brand of football that is well defined and clear and concise to understand.

And you're absolutely correct, there has to be a clear criteria for the scouts to follow, and when that criteria comes from a head coach who has a clear defined play style, then recruitment isn't difficult. And the Liverpool recruitment department have proved that after they were roundly criticised before the arrival of the head coach (not manager) Jurgen Klopp, who himself appointed Michael Edwards as the Sporting director when his reputation was on the floor, and I personally know many Liverpool fans who referred to Edwards as a waste of space.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I find this 'Ole being some sort of dictator' theory as border hilarious. First of all the football side of Manchester United was becoming an authoritative figure before Ole's appointment. In his last year at United Mou himself lamented that he was a simple head coach now which lead to suggestions that he had lost control over transfers. I very much doubt that United would stamp their feet at a multiple decorated manager like Mourinho only to cower in fear in front of someone who got Cardiff relegated. Secondly United themselves stated the relationship between Ole and Murtough quite clearly.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...t-of-football-director-and-technical-director

"This appointment builds on the work John has already undertaken in recent years, working closely with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the rest of the football staff to create the structures, processes and culture to deliver sustained success on the pitch. This has included successful overhauls of the club’s Academy and recruitment department."

Ultimately we're still the same old sluggish United who would take ages to sack a manager whose doing badly, who would replace the manager with someone whose style is completely different to his predecessor which means that there's a steep learning curve for the players to adapt to, who create jobs for the boys (Fletcher had 2 promotions in 6 months) that even an experienced fox like Rangnick would struggle to grasp their exact role and who have yet to announce our permanent manager despite being in mid April. I guess that's all Ole's fault.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Well I pray these yanks don't stick their nose in on Football business just because Erik might want to sell their marketing machines
Pogba already offered contract, Ronaldo probably staying and we'll witness his football levels dropping further. Not a pleasant sight if you ask me.

Sooner or later the two sides of the club will clash. Football won't win without good number of football people on board. We already thought once the football won when we sold Alexis & Lukaku, just to find out we're bringing Cavani & Ronnie.

mu4c_20le

Pogba already offered contract, Ronaldo probably staying and we'll witness his football levels dropping further. Not a pleasant sight if you ask me.

Sooner or later the two sides of the club will clash. Football won't win without good number of football people on board. We already thought once the football won when we sold Alexis & Lukaku, just to find out we're bringing Cavani & Ronnie.
To be fair, we still had hopes for Martial at the time. Now we suddenly find ourselves short of not one but two young strikers.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
To be fair, we still had hopes for Martial at the time. Now we suddenly find ourselves short of not one but two young strikers.
Aye, some still have hopes for him and we won't have a choice if nobody comes in summer. If Ronaldo, Pogba & Martial stay it will feels like we're asking for more of the same.

To not sound completely doom & gloom, Ten Hag has a plan for next 3-5 years. He could get the best of remaining players which will give us top 4 at best in first season and perhaps then will proceed with bigger clearout to complete his new team... or perhaps Rangnick will have his revenge in upcoming summer and advice to sell players that are giving him hell and completely ignoring him as a coach. Saves some time for new manager on countless and unproductive assessments that led United into dead end after 10 years.

Ten Hag, Murtough and final advice from Rangnick who's going bye bye... If these three football guys won't handle it, I guess we'll see each other after next three years in similar thread, discussing same topic.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
People shouldn't find it difficult that Solskjaer was the manager and not head coach. Solskjaer himself said at the time of Murtough's appointment that things will remain the same with the manager calling the shots and it's always been like that at United, were his words.

Solskjaer claims United don't need sporting director and comments don't add up

"Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has claimed that the structure at Manchester United is “100 per cent” right for the future of the football club. Yet in comparison to the rest of the Premier League, United have one blatant factor missing."

“The structure is right because it is always the manager who has the final say,” Solskjaer told Sky Sports.

"That may be true but, as per Training Ground Guru, Solskjaer is one of only three managers in England’s top division working without a sporting director above him."

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/...d-sporting-director-and-comments-dont-add-up/

"Allowing Solskjaer his own personal scout (Simon Wells) was first brought up on this forum by me. And it's now well documented that Simon Wells was his personal scout. And it was the board who allowed him to have that luxury along with Mike Phelan who was also on this shambles of a Committee."

Just name me one big team who has been successful whilst allowing their head coach/manager to have his own personal recruitment staff? Someone a few days ago mentioned that it was common for a manager to have his own personal recruitment staff at other clubs.

So please tell me who ten Hag and Klopp's personal recruitment staff are at both Ajax and Liverpool.? And by personal recruitment staff, I mean people who are working on recruitment under a manager/head coach independently from the club's recruitment department.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
People shouldn't find it difficult that Solskjaer was the manager and not head coach. Solskjaer himself said at the time of Murtough's appointment that things will remain the same with the manager calling the shots and it's always been like that at United, were his words.

Solskjaer claims United don't need sporting director and comments don't add up

"Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has claimed that the structure at Manchester United is “100 per cent” right for the future of the football club. Yet in comparison to the rest of the Premier League, United have one blatant factor missing."

“The structure is right because it is always the manager who has the final say,” Solskjaer told Sky Sports.

"That may be true but, as per Training Ground Guru, Solskjaer is one of only three managers in England’s top division working without a sporting director above him."

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/...d-sporting-director-and-comments-dont-add-up/

"Allowing Solskjaer his own personal scout (Simon Wells) was first brought up on this forum by me. And it's now well documented that Simon Wells was his personal scout. And it was the board who allowed him to have that luxury along with Mike Phelan who was also on this shambles of a Committee."

Just name me one big team who has been successful whilst allowing their head coach/manager to have his own personal recruitment staff? Someone a few days ago mentioned that it was common for a manager to have his own personal recruitment staff at other clubs.

So please tell me who ten Hag and Klopp's personal recruitment staff are at both Ajax and Liverpool.? And by personal recruitment staff, I mean people who are working on recruitment under a manager/head coach independently from the club's recruitment department.
There is no real proof its different now, we will only find out in a few years. We heard all the same things after Jose was fired and Ole was hired

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There is no real proof its different now, we will only find out in a few years. We heard all the same things after Jose was fired and Ole was hired
It's absolutely fine to be apprehensive about what's to come, but there's no doubt about what happened before. And I was vocal in not wanting Mourinho at the club.

But I would say that there's genuine room for optimism now because we've hired a head coach and not manager. And it's not the board that has touched base with the potential new head coach but the people working on the football side of the club. And I've been following structural changes at the club since 2014 and this is the biggest change I've seen towards a DoF model in that time.

That doesn't mean we will now win the league, but it does mean we can now potentially develop the football side where everyone is on the same page when it comes to recruitment. Because like I've said before, the 3 key components to succeed on the football side is to 1. align recruitment towards a guiding principle, 2. Which will then lead to stability, and 3. Continuity in the event a head coach is sacked. That wasn't happening before and I've provided evidence for why I believe that to be the case.

So you either look at things with cautious optimism or do what a small minority have done in these threads and constantly attack the credentials of people who they know very little about and their body of work. I have chosen the first equation.

Trex

Rangnick speaking about massively clear out of the playing staff.
Chief scout and head of global scouting quitting. Possibly the biggest rebuild top to bottom is underway.
It feels like Murtough was assigned to carry out a similar job as he did with the Youth and Women team?
We might just be up to something here.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Still early days and has a lot to prove.

Changes upstairs don't translate onto the pitch for months or even years.

Roboc7

Still waiting..
Really pointless question, what’s happening at Liverpool is what we need to be striving for, it has no relevance to what’s been happening at Utd. Last three years we resemble Rodgers Liverpool, disjointed recruitment with no clear plan, too many different people being appeased and in the end no one’s happy. They at least signed Coutinho who was moved on for a huge profit to help fund their new team. And the big challenge is to come at Liverpool, will their recruitment suffer from Edwards leaving, would they carry on recruiting well if Klopp left. Some clubs consistently recruit well with managers and staff coming and going other's don’t.

You’re just not making sense, club tells Jose what he can and can’t do, sets up Committee so they can continue to do so, then completely abandons it and surrenders to Ole and Phelan. Makes zero sense, also we’re now seeing changes being made so people other than Ole being held accountable. That suggests that we’re recognising the failure of others and not just the manager. Like I said it’s been collective failure and we’re now seeing collective accountability.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Really pointless question, what’s happening at Liverpool is what we need to be striving for, it has no relevance to what’s been happening at Utd. Last three years we resemble Rodgers Liverpool, disjointed recruitment with no clear plan, too many different people being appeased and in the end no one’s happy. They at least signed Coutinho who was moved on for a huge profit to help fund their new team. And the big challenge is to come at Liverpool, will their recruitment suffer from Edwards leaving, would they carry on recruiting well if Klopp left. Some clubs consistently recruit well with managers and staff coming and going other's don’t.

You’re just not making sense, club tells Jose what he can and can’t do, sets up Committee so they can continue to do so, then completely abandons it and surrenders to Ole and Phelan. Makes zero sense, also we’re now seeing changes being made so people other than Ole being held accountable. That suggests that we’re recognising the failure of others and not just the manager. Like I said it’s been collective failure and we’re now seeing collective accountability.
I asked you a simple question, what changed at Liverpool where a perceived failing recruitment structure under Brendan Rodgers, started to excel under Jurgen Klopp. ? It's not a difficult question.

You also made the claim that it's common for managers to have their own personal recruitment staff, can you please that back that up by telling me who Klopp and ten Hag have as their personal recruitment staff at Liverpool and Ajax? Ole had Simon Wells.

And the below article from 2014/15 by Duncan Castles provides some detail on how ridiculed the Liverpool recruitment department led by Michael Edwards was.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....ittee-has-been-a-spectacular-failure.amp.html

Roboc7

I asked you a simple question, what changed at Liverpool where a perceived failing recruitment structure under Brendan Rodgers, started to excel under Jurgen Klopp. ? It's not a difficult question.

You also made the claim that it's common for managers to have their own personal recruitment staff, can you please that back that up by telling me who Klopp and ten Hag have as their personal recruitment staff at Liverpool and Ajax? Ole had Simon Wells.

And the below article from 2014/15 by Duncan Castles provides some detail on how ridiculed the Liverpool recruitment department led by Michael Edwards was.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....ittee-has-been-a-spectacular-failure.amp.html
It’s totally irrelevant to your point, you’ve come up with a far fetched theory about our recruitment which Liverpool were not using under Rodgers so what changed at Liverpool has no relevance to your point. Now we’re seeing Utd make changes beyond Ole to further undermine your theory so I think you just need to accept you are wrong on move on.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It’s totally irrelevant to your point, you’ve come up with a far fetched theory about our recruitment which Liverpool were not using under Rodgers so what changed at Liverpool has no relevance to your point. Now we’re seeing Utd make changes beyond Ole to further undermine your theory so I think you just need to accept you are wrong on move on.
It's not irrelevant because Liverpool were also utilising the manager/transfer committee method prior to Klopp's arrival. Liverpool went from a manager/transfer committee method to a DoF/head coach method under Klopp. And the Michael Edwards who was widely ridiculed under Rodgers, was then appointed the DoF when his reputation was on the floor.

Klopp came in and worked with the recruitment department and that created stability and led to a streamlined approach to recruitment. Aligning the whole process is the key to being successful and we at United have been a shambles in that regard. So the failure at Liverpool was Brendan Rodgers and not the Liverpool recruitment staff.

Roboc7

It's not irrelevant because Liverpool were also utilising the manager/transfer committee method prior to Klopp's arrival. Liverpool went from a manager/transfer committee method to a DoF/head coach method under Klopp. And the Michael Edwards who was widely ridiculed under Rodgers, was then appointed the DoF when his reputation was on the floor.

Klopp came in and worked with the recruitment department and that created stability and led to a streamlined approach to recruitment. Aligning the whole process is the key to being successful and we at United have been a shambles in that regard. So the failure at Liverpool was Brendan Rodgers and not the Liverpool recruitment staff.
It is irrelevant because you are claiming our recruitment staff were ignored and Ole and Phelan were running the show. We were happy to overrule Jose, happy to renew contracts without knowing who next manager would be but powerless as soon as Ole and Phelan turned up. Makes zero sense and we’ve also now started to dismantle our Committee so makes your point even more irrelevant.

Aligning the process isn’t the key if people aren’t competent, just because Liverpool’s staff were doesn’t mean ours would be (and they’re already being moved on so again irrelevant). Like I said you are making basic and flawed assumptions.

You think that question is a clever way of proving your point but it is completely misguided and pointless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.