The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I am so glad we revamped the scouting department otherwise we would just be trying to sign players our manager has previously worked with
Yep. Best scouting department in the world!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How is Jon and Darren doing? Have they explored and monitored the situation in enough detail?

Yakuza_devils

Addressing the problems in the dressing room and player's power are as important as new signings and all that.

I really still don't understand how we can end up so rotten. Laziest team in EPL, no team spirit, selfish players, can't string 2 passes together as a team, refused to run and press, complained about trainings, dressing room's leaks, throw manager under the bus, toxic players wanna leave or running down the contract and many other disciplinary/professionalism issues in the club.

And these players are paid much higher than most of the players in PL.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They are doing great so far. Not paying over the odds, tracking right targets, not selling players bellow their price...
You just can see the difference. I think that Fletcher's experience is the key here.

saivet

I think he got praised too early on but I think we should cut him some slack for now. Nations League players not due to pre-season until mid July. Maybe I'm just clinging onto some hope.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Looks like he's trying to get Edwards or Dykes from Brentford. I mentioned Lee Dykes on here a while back.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I doubt we'll get Edwards due to his loyalty to Liverpool. But Lee Dykes is someone I've followed for a while and he'd be a potentially excellent appoint as the head of recruitment. Don't know a lot about Kieran Scott, but like Dykes, he's young for someone in such a role and that can only be be a good thing imo.

Giggsy13

Edwards is going to do great things at Chelsea.

Murtough’s streamlined approach is working rather nicely at the moment. He’s showing all of Europe what a strong man he is. I am very much looking forward to the next brief summarizing how Murtough has strong armed everyone in Europe with his no noncents approach. We don’t pay, we’re man united, Murtough strong, so very strong.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is all over the place at this moment. As we know (of course by the rumours) our targets were Eriksen, Timber, Nunez, Antony and De Jong. Now even with player on free transfer he is involved in transfer saga.
Eriksen: waiting time
De Jong: will drag whole summer
Antony: Ajax want huge fee
Timber: refused to come
Nunez: we waited too long and Liverpool jumped in.

B plan? No signs that he has it. He was too slow on the market and we will pay the price. On one way or another (lose player or overpay).
And what to say about outgoings?

Vapor trail

He is all over the place at this moment. As we know (of course by the rumours) our targets were Eriksen, Timber, Nunez, Antony and De Jong. Now even with player on free transfer he is involved in transfer saga.
Eriksen: waiting time
De Jong: will drag whole summer
Antony: Ajax want huge fee
Timber: refused to come
Nunez: we waited too long and Liverpool jumped in.

B plan? No signs that he has it. He was too slow on the market and we will pay the price. On one way or another (lose player or overpay).
And what to say about outgoings?
It's poor because realistically the targets don't have any ridiculous hype around them. Imagine the contrast in negotiations for the likes of Bellingham, Haaland or a Tchouameni. With the exception of FDJ these signings are slightly under the radar they should be relatively straightforward.

SmallCaine

The more this window progresses, the more it feels like woodward never left. This dude seems like the Rashford of DoF's, a lot of PR, absolutely nothing of substance.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's poor because realistically the targets don't have any ridiculous hype around them. Imagine the contrast in negotiations for the likes of Bellingham, Haaland or a Tchouameni. With the exception of FDJ these signings are slightly under the radar they should be relatively straightforward.
I know that it is easy now to be a general after the battle but from person on that job and on this level, i expect to make right decision. SO FAR he made lots of bad decisions. With Frenkie he is maybe having right approach (maybe) but for others he blew it. Bvb and Bayern finished transfers for Ajax players quickly and look at us. We were waiting, who knows did we even made a bid and now Ajax have cash and is reluctant to sell.
I am still fully optimistic that we will get Antony, Eriksen and De jong but problem is that absolutely nothing has changed. He is doing everything the same like his teacher Ed did.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

It feels a bit strange that, only now, is the club realising that it may need to replace Matt Judge.

I mean, when he announced he was leaving, didn't the exec team discuss his roles and functions and come to a conclusion about whether Murtough could assume those roles or whether United might need to recruit?

I won't lie I've been sceptical about Murtough from the start. A lot of posters have replied that he's as qualified as X was when that person became a Director of Football. Its a good argument and not one you can ignore. However, the way things are going make it seem like United are behind the curve a bit.

You wonder if United wouldn't have been better prepared going into the summer with an experienced Football Director at the helm e.g., Paul Mitchell.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

It feels a bit strange that, only now, is the club realising that it may need to replace Matt Judge.

I mean, when he announced he was leaving, didn't the exec team discuss his roles and functions and come to a conclusion about whether Murtough could assume those roles or whether United might need to recruit?

I won't lie I've been sceptical about Murtough from the start. A lot of posters have replied that he's as qualified as X was when that person became a Director of Football. Its a good argument and not one you can ignore. However, the way things are going make it seem like United are behind the curve a bit.

You wonder if United wouldn't have been better prepared going into the summer with an experienced Football Director at the helm e.g., Paul Mitchell.
I was sceptical too. Imo, for success you need best manager available and best DoF available. Those two will find best players for club.
We again did job half done. Instead going for proven world class DoF we just promoted a person in club on that job and on top of that we gave him assistant with zero experience. If he was that good on his previous job, why not leave him there? It is like having top class right winger and then playing him on left wing :wenger:

Roboc7

Said in another thread I just cannot understand why they’ve taken until now to being someone in. Are they out of their depth and parachuting someone in out of pure desperation. Is Judge working as normal until his final day despite having one foot out the door since April and not being much good in the first place.

It’s such a pivotal transfer window on and off the pitch, it’s just almost incomprehensible how poorly prepared we are.

Keefy18

I took some serious heat recently on here from of Murtagh supporters... Can't say I trust him in the slightest.

Keefy18

Isn't it amazing how folks convinced themselves that RR going was ETH decision cause it'd undermine ETH.

This was / is just the board shitting the bed due to his public statements at how bad the club is ran.

Murtough is an utter clown and yes man and now needs a different consultant to do the transfer work...signed up 3 days prior to pre season starting.

Anyone expecting a top half of the table finish is deluded. Things are gonna get a feck tonne worse this season!

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Maybe Woodward wasn’t to blame? We’ve changed the structure and personnel and nothing has seemingly changed. What hasn’t changed? The fecking parasites, the Glazers!

Last edited:

Green Arrow

Isn't it amazing how folks convinced themselves that RR going was ETH decision cause it'd undermine ETH.

This was / is just the board shitting the bed due to his public statements at how bad the club is ran.

Murtough is an utter clown and yes man and now needs a different consultant to do the transfer work...signed up 3 days prior to pre season starting.

Anyone expecting a top half of the table finish is deluded. Things are gonna get a feck tonne worse this season!
Spot on well said how anyone can fall for that PR crap is beyond me. As soon as Ralf said we needed 10 players he was done for. The owners didn’t like he said that publicly because it was true.
Getting someone in now just shows how crap we are and if it’s Murtaugh doing the dealing for Frenkie then we get this new guy he really is not good at his job.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Paul Mitchell isn't a Director of Football, or at least he isn't a very good one.

ayushreddevil9

Maybe Woodward wasn’t to blame? We’ve changed the structure and personnel and nothing has seemingly changed. What hasn’t changed? The fecking parasites, the Glazers!
Glazers are the root but what did people expect when they appointed people from within? None of them have the CV to back themselves for the role. It was evident when Murtough came out with the idiotic comment suggesting that Ole deserved a chance to fix things. And then not buying anyone in January. Taking an eternity in sorting out the new manager.

These people are not fit for the role. Incompetence is what we deserve.

ayushreddevil9

The more this window progresses, the more it feels like woodward never left. This dude seems like the Rashford of DoF's, a lot of PR, absolutely nothing of substance.
Woodward atleast got some deals over the line.

binary bot
The damage is long term unfortunately. That's the problem though, from the outside looking in we don't know how competent someone is until further down the line, for all we know the current lot could be shit too.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Paul Mitchell isn't a Director of Football, or at least he isn't a very good one.
Mitchell's currently Monaco's Director of Football. Whether or not he's a good one I guess is up for debate. He has experience though, which Murtough lacks.

Don't get Mitchell, get Rangnick or Paratici or Berta or Monchi or anyone. My point remains: I find it hard to believe United wouldn't be better off having appointed an experienced Football Director. Obviously I'm keen to be proven wrong and to be celebrating title 21 sometime soon. However, what's happening at the moment doesn't seem especially encouraging.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Mitchell's currently Monaco's Director of Football. Whether or not he's a good one I guess is up for debate. He has experience though, which Murtough lacks.

Don't get Mitchell, get Rangnick or Paratici or Berta or Monchi or anyone. My point remains: I find it hard to believe United wouldn't be better off having appointed an experienced Football Director. Obviously I'm keen to be proven wrong and to be celebrating title 21 sometime soon. However, what's happening at the moment doesn't seem especially encouraging.
Murtough does not lack experience.

Mitchell is doing an absolute shocker of a job at Monaco and was the number 2 at Southampton and at Spurs. He’s not the transfer genius the CAF makes him out to be.

SmallCaine

Murtough does not lack experience.

Mitchell is doing an absolute shocker of a job at Monaco and was the number 2 at Southampton and at Spurs. He’s not the transfer genius the CAF makes him out to be.
Given the bang up job he's done so far, it would have been preferable if he was inexperienced, right it just feels like we have hired a woodward who isn't even good at getting sponsorships.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Do you think Glazers were the one advising United, to offer another contracts to Pogba and Lingard?

Greck

He probably underestimated the scale of the task he would have this summer. The Deputy Director hiring they said would allow him to refocus all his efforts on recruitment for the first team but there hasn't yet been a noticable improvement in transfer efficiency. It was reported we wouldn't be replacing Judge with a like for like but it now looks like he might have realised he needs more help on that front.

Also goes to show how much of the discussion is retroactive guesswork. The PR hype made things sound so easy. Unfilled vacancies were already being made to sound like instant innovative strokes of genius. This same barebones structure was already being described as streamlined. Don't know where people found cause to deduce progress while the roles were still empty. Even the suggestion that Fletcher would be enough to cover Judge's functions was pure delusion. It was so easy to hype all these things when it didn't need to be backed by action.

el3mel

The club doesn't feel like it has any kind of strategy. People were saying there were changes in the right direction, but all I'm seeing is this : people in charge who don't have a clue what to do next.

ayushreddevil9

Does anyone know where we stand on the wage bill table after recent departures?

Status
Not open for further replies.