Television The Last Dance (ESPN) | 97-98 Bulls and MJ

Deery

Dreary
It could work on one guy and not another.

I dont think take it well tbh, itd get my back up and id just go right back at him.

Tell me what im doing wrong and I'll fix it, calling me shit, will get nothing from me.

Ive been a captain in footy and rugby albeit at a low level, and I can adapt to the person.

Some guys need a kick up the arse, others need an arm around the shoulder
I used to be captain of my school and local Gaelic teams, was a real hot head used to shout and swear all the time. Surprised no one told me to feck off but I suppose when you’re in the heat of battle you don’t really care you just want to win and everyone got on with it. I think a team needs someone like that because there’s so many personalities that no really speaks up or they leave it to one of the best players to speak up and say nothing themselves. Been in that situation too playing in better teams as I got older and got shouted at my first reaction was I’m going to show you so I guess it might work.

youngrell

It did show a bit of him giving encouragement when somebody stepped up to the plate now and again, he wasn’t just harassing his teammates for the sake of being a dick.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I was so sad to finish it. I'm desperately craving for more it's the best documentary series I've ever seen. Way above anything else I've ever seen.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Exactly. You can't adore SAF / Roy Keane's leadership and knock MJ for the same.
Did Keane ever tell the team not to pass it to a certain teammate, or tell someone before a penalty kick that if they miss they’re not taking another one?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Magic Johnson seemed really cool to me. The guy has an incredibly calm presence.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Has there ever been a scientific study examining whether sledging, and the MJ kind of 'encouraging', actually works? Or is this all too subjective to be studied?
Well, you have those leadership courses in menagers schools/programs (some good, some pretty wasteful).

Overall, imo he would definitely score extremely high on at least two pretty important metrics. His ability and work ethic or commitment. My previous boss was a bit of an unenimotional dick, but also had these two traits and I still found him pretty inspirational. He did acknowledged your progress or effort and recognised you as an important part of the team which seems to be the case with Jordan as well.

The thing is that you need to have both of these traits to make it work. High ability and no work ethic won't work and same in reverse. For example, Jordan who was in Wizards at 38 was not nearly a player he once was and other traits which were not so complimentary came more on the surface. The end result was that he wrecked that dressing room.
Keane, on a smaller scale, is maybe a good example. During his peak a fantastic and inspirational, but once he was past his prime he become more disruptive for the team.

So, yeah his ways definitely work. But despite all the success, I still think there are definitely better examples of elite leadership both in sport and in work environment.

Zen

Still crushing his 01-02 season it seems.....

00-01 19-63
to
01-02 37-45

forget the context, until he got injured at the All Star Break.... they were 26-21 and on a upward trejectory as they started horrendously 2-9.
Jordan was averaging 25-5-5+ at that point WITH the slow start. And just shy of 28 in the 20 games prior to injury.... they went 7-15 in the games Jordan doesn't play at all. Hamilton starts all but 3 of those 22 games games.... wonder why Jordan questioned him stepping up maybe? He wasm't right in the long run, but it's not like Rip was the Pistons leader.

When I say underrated, I mean it, even for his airness. He got MVP votes anyway that year, but he'd likely make top 3 had he not got injured - but thats age and time out for ya. Bare in mind this is an east division that's won with 52 wins.... so a run is hardly out of the question too.

AFC NimbleThumb

Did Keane ever tell the team not to pass it to a certain teammate, or tell someone before a penalty kick that if they miss they’re not taking another one?
Morality really isn’t the way to go on this one, both Keane & SAF had their less favourable moments over the courses of their career.

You also shouldn’t equate a penalty to a free throw.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
No, but Michael never had management dispose of team mates like they were worth nothing, nor went against Phil in front of the rest of the team. One thing that is obvious from the documentary is that irrespective of who Michael played with, there was an inherent element of respect and for my recollection, he never once said that a certain player shouldn't be on his team or wasn't good enough. It seemed like he just played with the hand he was dealt. In any event, he pretty much just lead by example and put it on his team mates to either step up, or feck off. No different to Sir Alex at United time and time again.

Bringing Keane into this debate is ridiculous regardless. He has neither the stature nor the ability as a professional that the other two did. He was a great team player and a strong captain, but he was very easily replaced as a player. If you want to mention any player from United than it is Cantona, but he fails on the longevity front.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Bringing Keane into this debate is ridiculous regardless. He has neither the stature nor the ability as a professional that the other two did. He was a great team player and a strong captain, but he was very easily replaced as a player. If you want to mention any player from United than it is Cantona, but he fails on the longevity front.
:lol:

Lolwut?!

arnie_ni

No, but Michael never had management dispose of team mates like they were worth nothing, nor went against Phil in front of the rest of the team. One thing that is obvious from the documentary is that irrespective of who Michael played with, there was an inherent element of respect and for my recollection, he never once said that a certain player shouldn't be on his team or wasn't good enough. It seemed like he just played with the hand he was dealt. In any event, he pretty much just lead by example and put it on his team mates to either step up, or feck off. No different to Sir Alex at United time and time again.

There's an argument keane is the best midfielder in pl history. Many would say he's better than Scholes Gerrard lampard viera erc.

Not sure what your talking about tbh

Zen

There's an argument keane is the best midfielder in pl history. Many would say he's better than Scholes Gerrard lampard viera erc.

Not sure what your talking about tbh
That Keane isn't anywhere near Jordan. Which is true outside of the fact they were the key on field/court leadership in a 90's dominating team with similarly aggressive styles.

arnie_ni

That Keane isn't anywhere near Jordan. Which is true outside of the fact they were the key on field/court leadership in a 90's dominating team with similarly aggressive styles.
Thats not what he said.

He word for word said Keane is "very easily replaced as a player."

Its complete bull tbh

Affirmation

As a Chicago Bulls fan, 'The Last Dance' was an emotional roller-coaster but I absolutely enjoyed every episode of it. By far the best documentary series I have seen that's for sure!

Tel074

Just finished it tonight . Wow what a series it's amazing to watch possibly the greatest sports person in history at his peak.

My friend played ball in the league's in Ireland I never will forget my introduction to Jordan and basketball. It was game 6 in the 98 final . It was my first time ever watching a live game on TV .
My mate knew the game and Jordan and he turned to me with 40 odd seconds left and said this is Jordan time . I replied what the hell are you talking about and he said watch .
He knew like all proper basketball fans knew and I sat and watched and thought omg what did I just witness .

From that moment I was hooked on Jordan and Basketball.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He might be greatest (and I pushed that narrative), but my oh my...

Thought this quote from Magic last week maybe summed it up pretty nicely.

"First of all, let's not take anything away from LeBron James," Johnson said. "Because LeBron James is a great basketball player, one of the all-time greatest that's ever played the game. LeBron James to me, when you think about all-around basketball players, he's probably the best of all time. An all-around basketball player. But when you want to say 'who's the greatest ever' it's still Michael Jordan."
Can't say I disagree with that. James' chapter in the NBA isn't finished though.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Thought this quote from Magic last week maybe summed it up pretty nicely.

Can't say I disagree with that. James' chapter in the NBA isn't finished though.
I mean all the GOAT talking is absolutely childish. Lebron is still active and absolutely great... even if he doesn't win anything there is a case to be made that he is the most complete player ever.

In short, enjoy the greatness no matter on which side of you.

DVG7

What did people think the best episode was?

Five for me

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
What did people think the best episode was?

Five for me
Episode VIII, for me. It set up the final two installments perfectly. The 1995 play-offs loss leading Jordan to beast it in the off-season and start the 1996 campaign in God-mode, along with his teammates. Great episode.

meamth

Do we have enough footages to make "the treble"?

The Treble (2020) only on Netflix. :drool:

jem

I was so sad to finish it. I'm desperately craving for more it's the best documentary series I've ever seen. Way above anything else I've ever seen.
Compare how riveting The Last Dance is compared to the bland drivel of that Man City documentary.

freeurmind

weak willed
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...iah-thomas-dream-team-olympics-last-dance-nba
But on his podcast, The Dream Team Tapes, writer Jack McCallum played an interview from 2011 which contradicted Jordan’s claim.

“[Selection committee member] Rod Thorn called me. I said, ‘Rod, I won’t play if Isiah Thomas is on the team,’” says in the 2011 interview. “He assured me. He said, ‘You know what? [USA coach] Chuck Daly doesn’t want Isiah. So, Isiah is not going to be part of the team.’”

Jordan and Thomas shared an intense rivalry during their careers. In The Last Dance Jordan admitted he still had “hate” for Thomas, stemming from an incident when the Detroit Pistons refused to shake hands with the Bulls after Chicago’s victory in the 1991 Eastern Conference finals.

However, in The Last Dance, Jordan denied he had asked Thomas to be left off the team.

“I respect Isiah Thomas’ talent. To me, the best point guard of all time is Magic Johnson and right behind him is Isiah Thomas,” said Jordan in The Last Dance. “No matter how much I hate him, I respect his game. Now, it was insinuated that I was asking [for Thomas to be left off the team] but I never threw his name in there.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I mean all the GOAT talking is absolutely childish. Lebron is still active and absolutely great... even if he doesn't win anything there is a case to be made that he is the most complete player ever.

In short, enjoy the greatness no matter on which side of you.
Huh? LeBron has 3 titles, 3 MVP awards.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Huh? LeBron has 3 titles, 3 MVP awards.
Four ;)

And I think he meant complete as an all-round basketball player, not in terms of individual or team accolades. He's certainly a better passer and rebounder than Jordan, I don't know how their H2H steals/blocks compare but they're not really the same kind of player anyway.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Four ;)

And I think he meant complete as an all-round basketball player, not in terms of individual or team accolades. He's certainly a better passer and rebounder than Jordan, I don't know how their H2H steals/blocks compare but they're not really the same kind of player anyway.
I didn’t get the ‘even if he doesn’t win anything’ like. I probably read it wrong.