Gaming The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

b82REZ

Because it was restricted and you had to ask to be able to post.

Yes, Im defensive. Who wouldnt be when being called things they arent?
Who's called you anything?

You've been defending yourself from imaginary comments. Your perception seems to be warped and typically like a lot of posters on that sub, have a real victim mentality.

There's no defending a large amount of the content on that sub, whether you like the game or not.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yes, i have personally been called these things. Go into r/thelastofus and say you dont like the game. And then wait. Not everyone in there is an asshole, but they are there. And they do hit you some the same tired shit. Youre a bigot, your a homophobe blah blah blah. Ps4 is the same, as is gamingcirclejerk as is, wait for it, subredditdrama. But I think Im done in here as I can see the writing on the wall. So, take care everyone.
What writing on the wall?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yes, i have personally been called these things. Go into r/thelastofus and say you dont like the game. And then wait. Not everyone in there is an asshole, but they are there. And they do hit you some the same tired shit. Youre a bigot, your a homophobe blah blah blah. Ps4 is the same, as is gamingcirclejerk as is, wait for it, subredditdrama. But I think Im done in here as I can see the writing on the wall. So, take care everyone.
It's this attitude I don't understand.

You seem to only care about being called bigoted for not liking a video game, which is fair. What's weird is that you continually try to defend a place that let bigoted shit freely occur whilst acting like you are now being pushed out of this thread. Why? I've done nothing but converse rationally with you, we probably have the same issues about the game, yet you just want to project on to us your experiences from elsewhere.

I've got to be honest with you mate, you aren't exactly explaining your side well at all here. If you relaxed and stop acting like this is reddit and just chilled on the "everyone is attacking me! The majority!" more, I think you'd find we all have common ground.

Balljy

So it's pretty easy to see what the previous content was like. http://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.reddit.com/r/TheLastOfUs2/

Thinking that it can't have been too bad I went to the 4th March 2021 and in the first 6 posts see "Cuckmann" and a thread with a twitter graphic about transgenderism. The 5th of March has "The virgin cuckmann" and a thread about Abby being a "representation". That's 2 posts into that date...

Redlambs

What I find odd, is that the anger is now at Girlfriend Reviews, but it stems directly from the bigots on that subreddit getting angry at their review and trying to "cancel" them.

I mean, I really don't get why if you are a normal poster on there just minding your own, you'd suddenly try to brush that off whilst complaining about that very subreddit now being "cancelled". The Irony there is so strong it could press your trousers.

It does sum up the mentality of the mods on there that after letting all the bigotry and hate flow for a long time, now they are acting like the poor targeted ones. And they quite clearly are trying to cover it up now too. As @Balljy says above, it really doesn't take much effort to see the shit they were finally forced to actually moderate. I have no sympathy for them.

Berbasbullet

Seriously though I think this game was phenomenal, I felt so empty when the game ended and felt like I went through the entire journey with both characters.

Wasn’t perfect, and the game absolutely went on for too long (some story decisions I didn’t like), but probably the most emotional game I’ve ever played, also with a brilliant sound track.

Despite the PS5 update I’m not ready to go through this again mind.

Sylar

Seriously though I think this game was phenomenal, I felt so empty when the game ended and felt like I went through the entire journey with both characters.

Wasn’t perfect, and the game absolutely went on for too long (some story decisions I didn’t like), but probably the most emotional game I’ve ever played, also with a brilliant sound track.

I think it was great.

Its a bit weird to defend another place and possibly being attacked there, on this place, which is completely different and for the most part (well since ive posted on this thread... im not going to read all 50 pages), most people have discussed things fairly well.

I had avoided a lot of the negativity when it first happened, and was wondering why people were so down on it, but looking at twitter and online, it did seem there was so much hate to the game before it was even released.
Abby was targetted because... she had muscles and wasnt girly? hmm yeah

I thought her part of the story was great and the best part to play as ive mentioned previously in this thread.

Berbasbullet

I think it was great.

Its a bit weird to defend another place and possibly being attacked there, on this place, which is completely different and for the most part (well since ive posted on this thread... im not going to read all 50 pages), most people have discussed things fairly well.

I had avoided a lot of the negativity when it first happened, and was wondering why people were so down on it, but looking at twitter and online, it did seem there was so much hate to the game before it was even released.
Abby was targetted because... she had muscles and wasnt girly? hmm yeah

I thought her part of the story was great and the best part to play as ive mentioned previously in this thread.
To be fair I remember when it had just come out having a conversation with someone who was really angry because “Joel was killed by a transgender”. :lol:

Ainu

I think pretty much everyone agrees on that. There's certainly an issue that the game settles into a pattern where you enter yet another obvious "arena" with a ton of patrolling enemies. You see the same in pretty much every Naughty Dog game since the first Uncharted. As much as I love their games, they need to freshen up that formula.

That said it was less of an issue for me on my second run. I guess I wasn't anxious for the story to move forward anymore, I'd seen it already anyway. So it sort of took off the pressure and I could play it more relaxed. I really enjoyed returning to the world and characters.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I found it to be a really good game that was just overshadowed by the brilliance of the first and didn't really progress the combat enough in the seven years since. And yeah, it was probably too long, some segments between the story were needlessly long too, like the hotel bit with Abby.

I do think the rat king bit was truly amazing, though.

Berbasbullet

I found it to be a really good game that was just overshadowed by the brilliance of the first and didn't really progress the combat enough in the seven years since. And yeah, it was probably too long, some segments between the story were needlessly long too, like the hotel bit with Abby.

I do think the rat king bit was truly amazing, though.
Completely agree, but then you could also argue if the game was shorter would the emotional impact that the game hits you with would have been weakened? I’m not sure.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

It was very good. I’ve never gone through so many different emotions with a character as I did with Abby.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Completely agree, but then you could also argue if the game was shorter would the emotional impact that the game hits you with would have been weakened? I’m not sure.
I don't think the story needed to be shorter, apart from maybe Santa Barbara which felt unnecessary, just that the segments in between cutscenes were too long at times. There were quite a few "oh feck sake not another area full of enemies" bits in there as I recall, that were basically the same as the previous areas with a few more enemies thrown in.

NotThatSoph

No there isnt. And no there wasnt. But I get it, you believe the majority. Thats fine. I contacted the mods, there was 10k people spamming the sub. They couldnt handle it, so they locked it. If theres any clean up going on, its that. Let me check...yip, all my "horrible disgusting vile" posts are still there. Might be getting rid of all the GFR posts though. And I can see why.
The moderators of r/TheLastofUs said that they had to shut the subreddit down for weeks after the release because people came to spoil the story, they had to manually approve everything. Guess what subreddit they came from, and guess why they're so strict with the banhammer?

Here's one of the moderators's plan for the HBO series:

All in all, r/TheLastOfUs2 complaining about brigading is pretty funny.

Berbasbullet

The moderators of r/TheLastofUs said that they had to shut the subreddit down for weeks after the release because people came to spoil the story, they had to manually approve everything. Guess what subreddit they came from, and guess why they're so strict with the banhammer?

Here's one of the moderators's plan for the HBO series:

All in all, r/TheLastOfUs2 complaining about brigading is pretty funny.
How bizarre! If you don’t like something surely you just walk away from it? Why would you just try and ruin it for everyone else?

NotThatSoph

How bizarre! If you don’t like something surely you just walk away from it? Why would you just try and ruin it for everyone else?
There's a subset of the people who dislike the game that really really hates it, and they hate that anyone could like it so they'll do what they can do ruin that. It's a lot of talk about trans people and how everyone is out for the evil straight white men. There's a huge self imposed victim narrative going on, where they are under attack for being people who dislike the game, for being Gamers, for being straight white men, etc. Gaming is under attack, society is under attack, things are crumbling.

Then you have straight up nazi shit:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Out of curiosity. Did any of the negativity damage naughty dog or the game itself? I’ve never seen such hatred towards a game like this before. And despite all the shit storm it picked up awards and is regarded as a great game. But does the negative backlash mean anything?

Ainu

Out of curiosity. Did any of the negativity damage naughty dog or the game itself? I’ve never seen such hatred towards a game like this before. And despite all the shit storm it picked up awards and is regarded as a great game. But does the negative backlash mean anything?
In terms of sales, probably not. I haven't seen any recent numbers but it was the fastest selling PS4 game ever shortly after its release. I guess it remains to be seen what it'll mean for Naughty Dog's next game, whatever that may be, but I seriously doubt it will any negative impact there either. It's a very different situation to, for example, Cyberpunk, where consumer trust took a massive hit that demanded a response from the studio and may take a long time to heal.

On a personal level though, the vile hatred has obviously affected people like Neil Druckmann and Laura Bailey and their closest relatives.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Well, talking strictly about the game and not the people involved because I guess it's difficult to know how, or if, it will affect individuals in terms of future projects, it sold over 4 million copies in its first three days,. It’s the fastest-selling ps4 exclusive of all time, beating God of War by about a million or so.

Not sure what it’s at now, but in the final sales reports for 2020 it was third overall for PS4 and PS5, behind Black Ops Cold War and Modern Warfare. So not too shabby despite all the kicking and stomping by some.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
"May 7th 2020" Those were posted everywhere, in every sub. Why does one sub carry the weight over a year later?

I have never seen Abby called "thing". Ive seen plenty of other names though. None of them flattering. But is that just the nature of the internet? Why is this sub getting special attention?

Actually, that sub was very welcoming of people who liked the game. In most part because r/thelastofus was banning anyone who said they didnt like it, no matter how polity they said it.

Im gonna cut to end of this conversation, you arent going to win this argument because youre right. Youre going to win because you have the numbers. The last of us part 2 became some battleground for woke vs bigots. Anyone who doesnt like the game, no matter their reasons, is automattically a bigot because thats what the loudest say. Most people who dont like the game, have moved on. The numbers dwindle every day. Theres only so many times you can give the same reasons why you dont like the game before it becomes boring. But people that like it, seem to have made part of their personality. And any challenge is met with utter contempt. Even in this every thread someone listed their reasons for not liking the game and someone instantly moved to discredit and diminish their opinion. That sub was for those people. People who loved the first game, and hate the second. Not because ellie was gay, because if that was true they would have liked the first game or its dlc. Somewhere they could actually voice their opinion without being called names and being banned. If you were an asshole you got downvoted. Thats the same for reddit everywhere. So again, why is this sub singled out?

I hate this game. Not because I hate women, or trans people, or anything else. I dont like the characters and I dont like the story. Thats it. The amount of abuse Ive gotten for saying just that and nothing else is repugnant. The truth is that both sides of this argument have their assholes. Just like every other shitty internet war there has ever been. That sub is not what people say it is. But it sure has caught on that thats what it is because no one ever goes to it. They just post things from over a year ago by the real bigots and assholes that flooded every sub with the same trash. And not for nothing, but theres actually 2 subs one of which used to get the same nonsense but turned private over a year ago. Thats when the focus shifted to this sub.

I was member. I saw the day to day posts. They were nothing but memes, shit posts and discussions. Just like every other sub.
It's great that you go there completely for the memes but there are other places to go for memes. Preferably not subreddits with a history of savage bigotry. I don't care how great the beer is - I'm not going into a orange marching Rangers FC pub any time soon.

I won't tread the same ground as others have in the last few hours but what I will say is that I'm not calling YOU a bigot, I'm not saying the people that you converse with on that subreddit are all bigots. But it's a subreddit with a history of bigotry, and it's not just a year old either. And now the mods are trying to clean themselves up a bit but still acting the victim, whilst bigoted posts - even if it is year old content - still sit there on the subreddit. The windows might have new mannequins but inside it's still run by the same folk.

Redlambs

It's great that you go there completely for the memes but there are other places to go for memes. Preferably not subreddits with a history of savage bigotry. I don't care how great the beer is - I'm not going into a orange marching Rangers FC pub any time soon.

I won't tread the same ground as others have in the last few hours but what I will say is that I'm not calling YOU a bigot, I'm not saying the people that you converse with on that subreddit are all bigots. But it's a subreddit with a history of bigotry, and it's not just a year old either. And now the mods are trying to clean themselves up a bit but still acting the victim, whilst bigoted posts - even if it is year old content - still sit there on the subreddit. The windows might have new mannequins but inside it's still run by the same folk.
Are they still blaming that girlfriend reviews channel for all their ills too?

The video where they show up what actually happened, and that outed the pathetic mods on reddit, was actually quite interesting and shows how the brains of these people work (or don't as the case may be) :lol:

Redlambs

Not in terms of sales, no. Many of the usual mouths who proclaim they'll never play it and all that probably did anyway.

Amarsdd

Hopefully, the series they are making is good so that they have the chance to cover the story of this game in later seasons. I think this story will make a better series than the story from part 1.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Why the hate? It's a brilliant game so far, although I have mixed feelings about them humanising Abby after wanting to kill her for the first 15 hours :lol:

Just done the hotel and with the kid running off, I thought going through the hotel was uncessary long and just prolonging the game for no real reason.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Why the hate? It's a brilliant game so far, although I have mixed feelings about them humanising Abby after wanting to kill her for the first 15 hours :lol:

Just done the hotel and with the kid running off, I thought going through the hotel was uncessary long and just prolonging the game for no real reason.
A multitude of reasons which have been covered in this thread, but they obviously had a big leak pre-release and people saw some of the major plot points out of context and made a decision to hate the game based on that. The thing is, some of the leaks were fake, so people were jumping to conclusions based on false information, and instead of admitting to being wrong when the game was eventually released, they doubled down on their hate even though they hadn't played the game. We saw evidence of this with the review bombing the game got even though it had only been out for a few hours and could not have possibly been played by those individuals.

There's also more distasteful things that they hated the game for as well.

Then you have legitimate criticism, of course. The game makes a few bold moves that I personally loved but others didn't, which is fair enough. Despite me loving the game, I also agree with some of the criticism, mainly about the pacing which I don't think is great. But overall I think the game is incredible, but I can see why others would think differently. All the other nefarious shit around the game though can be explained away by some very sad individuals who have nothing better to do with their lives.

b82REZ

I dont deny those subreddits had bad posts, but what sub doesnt? I was looking at r/jokes when someone posted "Joel fecking dies!!". What Im saying is that it hasnt been since Ive been looking at it for the past few months. But if people are going to say they are so outraged by things in this sub that happened over a year ago, I have to question their motives. Not the least of which is because I was a member. And Im being called all these horrible things that I am not and never have been. But because one asshole faked a death threat, I now have over a million youtube viewers calling me all the bigoted cnuts under the sun. I have not ever said anything transphobic, or bigoted or racist or sexist. Yet thats all I am now to the internet because a youtuber got salty about some asshole faking a death threat, and few others making fun of their review of the game. And you can already see that the truth doesnt matter. Its a landside of bullshit, and theres nothing to do about it but fold.

Looks like you were completely wrong.

Toxic sub and even more toxic mods.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
A multitude of reasons which have been covered in this thread, but they obviously had a big leak pre-release and people saw some of the major plot points out of context and made a decision to hate the game based on that. The thing is, some of the leaks were fake, so people were jumping to conclusions based on false information, and instead of admitting to being wrong when the game was eventually released, they doubled down on their hate even though they hadn't played the game. We saw evidence of this with the review bombing the game got even though it had only been out for a few hours and could not have possibly been played by those individuals.

There's also more distasteful things that they hated the game for as well.

Then you have legitimate criticism, of course. The game makes a few bold moves that I personally loved but others didn't, which is fair enough. Despite me loving the game, I also agree with some of the criticism, mainly about the pacing which I don't think is great. But overall I think the game is incredible, but I can see why others would think differently. All the other nefarious shit around the game though can be explained away by some very sad individuals who have nothing better to do with their lives.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm on the end bit now and can understand the criticism, as it's starting to drag a bit.

NotThatSoph

Looks like you were completely wrong.

Toxic sub and even more toxic mods.
Interestingly, if you go to subredditstats.com and look at the top keywords (a measurement for how often a word is used on that subreddit relative to how often it's used elsewhere), "anti-white" has a very high score. A year ago it was a lot of stuff about trans people, but now it's "powerlifter", "roid" and "she-hulk".

Weird bunch.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Maybe the real agenda is the place inside each of us created by our goodwill and teamwork.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
So finished this, started very good but the second half just dragged on and I'm not too convinced that the ending was the right one but it's still fresh in my mind. I won't be playing it again as I've mentioned before it's just too long for no good reason, quite a few of the segments could have been cut out and you wouldn't have missed much.

Don't think it's better than the first, which isn't a bad thing as that bar is extremely high. I would give it a 8/10.

nimic

something nice
Scout
a youtuber got salty about some asshole faking a death threat, and few others making fun of their review of the game.
That's a fairly absurd way of describing what happened.

I haven't been following this thread, but I was assuming everyone here was aware that TheLastOfUs2 on Reddit is, was, and always has been a vile, toxic place. It is no different than KotakuInAction, the late FatPeopleHate, or dozens of other subs that exist today or used to exist for people to complain about "others" (fat people, women, trans people, Jews, black people, whatever).

b82REZ

Finally finished this tonight.

I definitely enjoyed it much more than the first time I tried to play it. I really struggled to get into it last year as it was so relentlessly grim.

The game is too long and the whole epilogue from the Farm onwards felt unnecessary and narratively it made little, to no sense.

To my memory there are two times Ellie decides her quest for revenge is pointless, yet she immediately gives up her whole life for a chance to hunt down someone who she isn't even certain is there, then at the crucial moment decides to let her live.

The ending with her leaving the guitar and walking away from the farm is intended to set up the third IMO. I imagine it'll be a story about Ellie finding her "purpose" because Joel saved her.

For all the uproar about the story and Abby in particular, by the end I sympathised with her much more than Ellie, who comes across as an ungrateful brat for the majority of the game. The "humanising" flashbacks just highlight this more. She never considers the burden on Joel and the huge decision he had to make, which was clearly motivated by a fatherly love for her. The last thing she says to him is she'll never forgive him.

The second half of the game is significantly better than the first, which may have contributed to me preferring Abby by the end. Also despite the fact I think the epilogue was pointless, I really enjoyed the Villa mission. Gave me Far Cry vibes when you could release the Clickers.

Overall I'd give it an 8/10. Exceptional graphics and story telling (for the most part), let down by some contrived narrative decisions and an overly long playtime.

Jacob

Bought this game for 22 quid yesterday and intend to play now.