Gaming The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

Bebe

Bought on sale this weekend for $34 (Canadian). I'm nervous though, I've mostly managed to avoid spoilers but am aware that there's controversy regarding the story. I loved the characters and narrative in the first game. Equal parts excited and worried to see what they've done with it all for the sequel and why people are up in arms over it.

Jacob

Ignore the haters - it is a phenomenal game.
It's been great so far, reached Seattle Day 2 now. I have this fomo with regards to missing out on gear/collectibles in random buildings. I put sonar on in the options to save some time looking for items.

Sylar

It's been great so far, reached Seattle Day 2 now. I have this fomo with regards to missing out on gear/collectibles in random buildings. I put sonar on in the options to save some time looking for items.
Glad you're enjoying, I certainly did
And in fact I enjoyed the second half more than the first (and I liked the first half) :)

Jacob

Glad you're enjoying, I certainly did
And in fact I enjoyed the second half more than the first (and I liked the first half) :)
Will there be an opportunity to revisit Seattle downtown? There were a few question marks on the map that I couldn't deal with before the story progressed.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Bought on sale this weekend for $34 (Canadian). I'm nervous though, I've mostly managed to avoid spoilers but am aware that there's controversy regarding the story. I loved the characters and narrative in the first game. Equal parts excited and worried to see what they've done with it all for the sequel and why people are up in arms over it.
Its got multiple themes and it bounces around a bit from characters to timelines but it all comes together well by the end. Its got a different theme to the first one so be open to it not doing what you would like.

RedDevilRoshi

Days Gone was a far more enjoyable game than this.
Not sure. I thought Days Gone was fun but in very small bursts. The story was longer than it should have been filled with the same mind numbing repetitiveness. The whole open world just looked bland too.

Shark

@NotShark
Not sure. I thought Days Gone was fun but in very small bursts. The story was longer than it should have been filled with the same mind numbing repetitiveness. The whole open world just looked bland too.
Yeah Days Gone was bland in pretty much every aspect. The hordes were heart pumping but that's about it for me. TLOU2 at least had interesting environments and locations and a bit more enemy variety. Both went on for too long I'd say both would of benefited from having a good hour and a half shaved off.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Ive no idea why this got so much stick, I finally got round to playing it. just finished it and it is fantastic, a wonderful experience from start to finish

Oldyella

I actually enjoyed it more than the first one, amd I loved that one.
Same here. Just like you it took me ages to get around to playing it, and when I did I was blown away and couldnt stop playing it. The ending stuck with me for a few weeks after too.

AaronRedDevil

Ive no idea why this got so much stick, I finally got round to playing it. just finished it and it is fantastic, a wonderful experience from start to finish
Great game. The only thing that bugs me is the way he died. Just felt empty. I'm glad they went with that ending. It was a ballsy move.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Same here. Just like you it took me ages to get around to playing it, and when I did I was blown away and couldnt stop playing it. The ending stuck with me for a few weeks after too.
Just finished today, feeling satisfied but like there is a gap I need to fill now :lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Same! In fact I’d argue that in terms of pure feeling I’ve never thought about an ending to a game more. Really makes you feel. Looking forward to eventually having my second play through on the PS5.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I actually enjoyed it more than the first one, amd I loved that one.
Yeah, it's a much better game than the first, IMO. The first is a good game, but the second has so much more ambition about it. I love some of the bold moves they made and the gameplay is infinitely better!

It's a little too long, but I can forgive it for that. That sense of wanting to get to the next story beat is not something I've felt in almost any game before.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Yeah, it's a much better game than the first, IMO. The first is a good game, but the second has so much more ambition about it. I love some of the bold moves they made and the gameplay is infinitely better!

It's a little too long, but I can forgive it for that. That sense of wanting to get to the next story beat is not something I've felt in almost any game before.
Totally agree with every word

Bosws87

I preferred the first one, i found the second one got stale gameplay wise and dragged a little for me.

I think i would of enjoyed the second more just watching someone play through it both excellent but the first one and the story was much better for me.

Bebe

Finished it over the weekend. Thoughts:

Pros
- Really well made. Naughty Dog games are so damn polished.
- Facial animation is absurdly good and conveys emotion as well as any I've seen in a game, which is good given the nature of the story.
- Gameplay loop has been refined, far fewer annoying ladders and planks to place. Combat was already fun in the first, it's gotten better.

Cons
- Ellie is probably my most disliked main character in any game I've ever played. If she developed any less over the course of the story, she'd be going backwards.
- A bit too long, overall. Could have cut 4-6 hours imo.

I get why people were up in arms about various parts of the story and the shift the game takes halfway through, but personally I was relieved in the second half to have a break from what came before. Again, Ellie is the worst.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I was glad it was a long game

Cos I still wanted more :nervous:
I don’t know, by the end I felt emotionally exhausted. That final fight really took it out of me. When Abbie did what she did at the beginning of the game I wanted nothing more than to kill the cnut but by the end I was praying I wouldn’t have to kill her. :lol:

Sylar

I don’t know, by the end I felt emotionally exhausted. That final fight really took it out of me. When Abbie did what she did at the beginning of the game I wanted nothing more than to kill the cnut but by the end I was praying I wouldn’t have to kill her. :lol:
:lol: same regarding the final fight
It was so well done flipping the narrative

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
When Abbie did what she did at the beginning of the game I wanted nothing more than to kill the cnut but by the end I was praying I wouldn’t have to kill her. :lol:
Same. Aside from all the nonsense written about the storyline in TLOU2, evoking this feeling was an impressive feat for a game. Like you, I was spent at the end.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nah. I wish I could have killed her in the end

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm probably 40% (ramdom guess) through it and although less has happened that I thought would have by now, I'm absolutely loving it. The gameplay is surprisingly good and a huge step up from the original. It feels very Days Gone in how Ellie controls and the combat mechanics, which is a good thing as I felt Days Gone did an excellent job in this regard. The original was very clunky and clumsy in its gameplay which wad the worst part about it. The resource gathering /upgrades upgrades lacks something. You don't feel anything really makes a serious difference to the experience. But in terms of atmosphere, world and combat, especially, so far, this has been highly impressive.

caid

Picked this up recently on sale. Just finished with Seattle, cant say im enjoying it. I guess enjoyable wasn't the aim. Just feels very cruel. Brilliantly designed and constructed but im struggling to continue playing, just feels like im constantly being punished for caring about any of the characters. Guess there shouldn't be much left to go.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Picked this up recently on sale. Just finished with Seattle, cant say im enjoying it. I guess enjoyable wasn't the aim. Just feels very cruel. Brilliantly designed and constructed but im struggling to continue playing, just feels like im constantly being punished for caring about any of the characters. Guess there shouldn't be much left to go.
I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The intensity of and tightness gameplay and exploration aspect is spot on, thus far. But given it I'd narrative driven the story will have to deliver. Would have to see how that pans out.

caid

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The intensity of and tightness gameplay and exploration aspect is spot on, thus far. But given it I'd narrative driven the story will have to deliver. Would have to see how that pans out.
Oh technically its outstanding. Really strong and i'd struggle to find criticism of any aspect. I just feel like its been punching me in the gut every hour or two for a long time. I'm just drained, i'm pretty sure i dont want to know what happens next anymore. I kind of feel sorry for asking what happens after the first game (which i replayed just before starting this).

b82REZ

I felt this way and gave up on my first playthrough.

I'd recommend sticking with it as IMO it improves massively in the second act.

Moby

Dick
i'm pretty sure i dont want to know what happens next anymore.
I felt like this in the first one which is why I'm still not getting the second one despite it being super cheap, After a point I just wanted the next area to be the last one and I was relieved when it ended which isn't what you should feel if you have really enjoyed the game. I felt the same in UC4, but not the previous UCs, I think ND have dragged the last couple of stories and when that happens without adding anything to the combat or mechanics then people are bound to get bored.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I felt like this in the first one which is why I'm still not getting the second one despite it being super cheap, After a point I just wanted the next area to be the last one and I was relieved when it ended which isn't what you should feel if you have really enjoyed the game. I felt the same in UC4, but not the previous UCs, I think ND have dragged the last couple of stories and when that happens without adding anything to the combat or mechanics then people are bound to get bored.
I read his post as "I think I know where the story is going and I don't want that to happen". Not that he was bored of it.

Not all games are supposed to be full of joy and happiness, it makes games feel cheap doing the same happy ending and everything turns out ok in the end. A gritty game is a nice change now and again I think. Yeah they can be harder to get through because they're a bit mentally taxing, but they're more true to the real world than anything.

Moby

Dick
I read his post as "I think I know where the story is going and I don't want that to happen". Not that he was bored of it.

Not all games are supposed to be full of joy and happiness, it makes games feel cheap doing the same happy ending and everything turns out ok in the end. A gritty game is a nice change now and again I think. Yeah they can be harder to get through because they're a bit mentally taxing, but they're more true to the real world than anything.
I didn't mean happy or anything like that, I have no problem in playing something that has a tragic ending or whatever. But my complain from the first game was the inability to keep each stage fresh, which is important especially in a linear game. After around 70% or so I was just going "ffs not another random house/building with the same fat dudes roaming around!". The story was great no doubt and I'd love to watch it on TV, but it dragged on for sure. As did UC4 which when I played felt like it went on for fecking forever. It's just what has kept me from trying the second one.

Ainu

I didn't mean happy or anything like that, I have no problem in playing something that has a tragic ending or whatever. But my complain from the first game was the inability to keep each stage fresh, which is important especially in a linear game. After around 70% or so I was just going "ffs not another random house/building with the same fat dudes roaming around!". The story was great no doubt and I'd love to watch it on TV, but it dragged on for sure. As did UC4 which when I played felt like it went on for fecking forever. It's just what has kept me from trying the second one.
Naughty Dog, as much as I love them, have had some pacing issues in the last few titles (with the exception of Lost Legacy). They need to find a way to evolve their formula. Maybe move away from their two main franchises for a while and do something different.