Gaming The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

el3mel

Best reviewer out there.
Says the video is private ? Did he remove it temporarily? Was working few minutes ago.

Edit: Works now no problem. Don't know why he put it on private.

Last edited:

Ainu

He does a lot of nitpicking in this one. Mostly because it is from Naughty Dog and expectations are way higher. Also waiting for sale is not really a fair conclusion as still better than most of the mediocre game that he recommends to buy.

I was watching PewDiePie stream and he also didn't like the story but ended it by saying that he would rather play this that most of the mediocre games out there.
Like he says, people just like different things. I had some of the same issues as he had but despite all of that it's still an essential buy for me, it all comes down to how important all different aspects of a game are for you. In any case, no one should be using a review to validate or invalidate their opinion on a video game, which is what I feel too many people out there do (not referring to you, but just reading the YT comments on the video). His review make good points and is very informative, that's all I need to know.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Like he says, people just like different things. I had some of the same issues as he had but despite all of that it's still an essential buy for me, it all comes down to how important all different aspects of a game are for you. In any case, no one should be using a review to validate or invalidate their opinion on a video game, which is what I feel too many people out there do (not referring to you, but just reading the YT comments on the video). His review make good points and is very informative, that's all I need to know.
Yes but I feel a lot of reviewers are suddenly forgetting how unpolished games are released these days. I had all the issues that he mentioned, pacing, order of story sequences looked off and the game felt a bit too long. But if I measure the quality of this video game than to what we get from other video games, I just can't ignore the effort that ND put into this. Even for AI they can excused as most of the physics and AI system is running on 7 year old CPU which was even underpowered at that time.

It's just I want Game developers to put as much effort as ND put in their games. Despite having story issues, it was still one of the most unique experience I had with a video game. I think at the end that has to taken into consideration when you recommend someone to buy something.

Ainu

Yes but I feel a lot of reviewers are suddenly forgetting how unpolished games are released these days. I had all the issues that he mentioned, pacing, order of story sequences looked off and the game felt a bit too long. But if I measure the quality of this video game than to what we get from other video games, I just can't ignore the effort that ND put into this. Even for AI they can excused as most of the physics and AI system is running on 7 year old CPU which was even underpowered at that time.

It's just I want Game developers to put as much effort as ND put in their games. Despite having story issues, it was still one of the most unique experience I had with a video game. I think at the end that has to taken into consideration when you recommend someone to buy something.
The verdict is only a part of the review, he spends most of the video praising Naughty Dog for all those things you mention. It certainly felt like he would rate it much higher based on all of those things but ultimately the pacing and dragging was too hard for him to look past. Some people will agree with that and for some people that will sound harsh.

Ainu

Now that I've finished it, had a night to sleep on it and time to digest it, here are some things from a narrative perspective that did and didn't work for me. All in spoilers of course. I usually don't like to make long winded posts because I figure no one is interested in them. :lol: But what the hell, there's a lot to talk about. Narrative only, it'll be long enough without getting into any other aspect of the game.

Ellie and Dina's relationship. They had fantastic chemistry from start to finish. The writing between them is excellent, from the platyful banter leading up to their second kiss (just before Joel's death) to their trek through Seattle and finally the shortlived happiness and painful departure at the farm house. Dina's scenes become a lot less frequent fairly early into the game, which was understandable, but I just didn't want them to ever end.

Abby's story. Probably the most controversial part of the entire game but yes it works for me. It's a jarring switch in the middle of the game but I grew to like her when Yara and Lev were introduced in her storyline. Some of her best moments were when she was crossing the sky bridge and descending down that tall building with Lev and later on when she was on the island together with Yara looking for Lev. The friendships she forms with those characters and their dialogue were fantastic and really helped humanize Abby for me. Her fear of heights during those sky bridge segments was a nice touch to that effect as well. It's crucial Naughty Dog got this right as the entire second half and ending sequence of the game hinges on this. For me, they absolutely succeeded.

The ending. Now if you didn't buy in to the previous point, this probably doesn't work for you either but for me it did. I've seen a lot of articles about this saying it feels like the game or writers are trying to tell us gamers something and they don't like it. That's not what happened here for me. I never felt responsible for anything that the characters did in the game. It's telling their story and yes it's trying to make us feel as awful as they do, but only because it makes it more effective, not as some moralistic lesson. By the final fight I was pretty much begging these characters to stop and then, they did. I thought it was a really powerful moment and while the ending could be seen as devastating with Ellie losing everything, I also saw something hopeful in that final flashback with Joel. There was still a way back for him with Ellie in the end. I took that as Ellie considering that perhaps the same is true for her. I will say one thing though: I don't want to see her as protagonist in a violent game anymore. I would really love to see what happens to her as she tries to piece her life back together, but I couldn't stomach it if it meant her picking up her weapons again (against non-infected). Which means you can't really fit that into a video game in The Last of Us' universe, unfortunately.

The pacing. Like I said in an earlier post, from a gameplay perspective the pacing was spot on, with super intense sequences broken up with calmer moments. From a story perspective the pacing is problematic and yes, it does drag. Redlambs already mentioned it (won't tag him because of spoilers), but the small open-world section of Seattle immediately at the start of the revenge quest was a bit weird. It keeps the pace down at a time when the lust for revenge should be at its fiercest. That doesn't really work. The switch to Abby, which as I said I really ended up liking, killed the momentum at a crucial moment. Until you get truly invested in Abby's story, you just want to go back to those shocking moments where Jesse gets killed and you want to find out what happens to your beloved characters. And then at the end where Ellie decides to go off again, at that point you're getting exhausted and you just want to see it through. I love those story beats but yeah the pacing wasn't right there.

Abby's friends. I didn't really care about them. Manny was cool but didn't get all that much screen time, Nora was meh and the game failed to really sell Owen and Abby's troubled romantic involvement to me. Owen comes across as the sort of guy I'd find a complete, annoying douche bag so I didn't care for him. And since I didn't get invested in those relationships, that sex scene certainly left me cold. And Mel, yeah whatever I guess. Couldn't even feel sorry for her dying while pregnant. I guess another problem was that the WLF didn't feel like a "good" bunch. Sure there's warmth and camaraderie among their ranks, but with how openly hostile they are to trespassers and the hateful war they're waging against the Scars, the act of killing their rank and file grunts never truly feels wrong (let's not forget even Abby ends up killing them). They're not like Jackson, a community that thrives on peace and still seems welcoming to newcomers. The only death on Abby's side that did anything for me was Yara's. So even while I really ended up liking Abby and loving her friendship with Yara and Lev, there were some clear issues with the storytelling in her arc.

So yeah, not everything was perfect and there are genuine issues with it. I can see why these issues can ruin it for some and they also make it difficult for me to categorically tell someone "play this because it's incredible and you will be blown awy", because I know there's a real possibility that person might end up really disliking it. I'd still recommend anyone to see for themselves.

On a personal level though, the things that worked made it an absolutely sublime experience for me, unlike any other in video gaming. There were characters I already loved that I love even more and new characters that that will stick with me for a long time. The original and Left Behind are games that I still treasure so many years later and while I can't say how I'll be feeling about it in 10 years time, right now this game definitely gets a place beside those two.

@evil_geko this is it, we can finally have a decent conversation now. ;)

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Doing a 2nd playthrough on Ng+. Its stilla quite stressfull experience at times. Not sure whether to sell my disc edition afterwards.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Best reviewer out there.
Not sure about the best but he's among the best, for sure. I do think he's extremely technical with his review - graphics, music, voice etc and we need one like that. However, I think sometimes games have something that can't be defined or analysed in such technical ways. For example, Skill Ups review (and yes they may be over dramatic to many) of Nier Automata captured the feel of that game better than ACG could. Again, they all have their own place and purpose.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
The 'Horror' segments of this game are absolutely brilliant, nerve wracking, creepy and gut wrenching. I did the bit leading up to, and then the
Hospital
section, I was fairly shitting my keks. It was very Aliens compared to its prequel.

Me and the Mrs have been watching Frasier in the mornings while I've been playing this and every now and again when I think about the games setting this pops into my head:

"HEY BABY I HEAR THE BLUES ARE CALLIN' TOSSED SALAD AND SCRAMBLED EGGS"

:D

Faetheshire86

Finished the game today. I think from a presentation stand point the it is incredible, from the graphics, audio, environments, animation, I think it's one of the most polished games I've ever played.

I think the story and themes were fine, if not a little ham-fisted. It definitely made me feel something and I commend it for that. Where the game falls short for me is the delivery of said story. I think the approach they took was doomed to fail. I think they only way that approach could have worked would have been to...

somehow tell the story from Abby's point of view first. To build some rapport with the character. Or even to jump between Ellie and Abby so that the hard reset half way through the game didn't feel so abrupt. But I'm not sure this would have made a difference

I didn't like any of the characters and thought they were very bland compared to the original. Only
Abby and Lev's
relationship came close to anything from the original.

I also disliked the end.
I felt the player should have been given a choice at the end to kill Abby and leave Lev to her fate. The game constantly moralises decisions which it takes out of the players hands, I thought it would have been a good way to let the player have the final say. I thought it would have been appropriate if Ellie's revenge cost her her family and her last link to Joel (the guitar) instead it turned out, it was just her indecision.

Overall I'm glad I played it. I loved the original, but didn't need a sequel like I feel some people needed one. I think people who accept this for what it is and not what they wanted it to be, will enjoy it a lot more

AaronRedDevil

The 'Horror' segments of this game are absolutely brilliant, nerve wracking, creepy and gut wrenching. I did the bit leading up to, and then the
Hospital
section, I was fairly shitting my keks. It was very Aliens compared to its prequel.

Me and the Mrs have been watching Frasier in the mornings while I've been playing this and every now and again when I think about the games setting this pops into my head:

"HEY BABY I HEAR THE BLUES ARE CALLIN' TOSSED SALAD AND SCRAMBLED EGGS"

:D
First time in a long time I genuinely got a fright from looking at it :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Mid-way through Seattle Day 1 (A)...

I just don't care about Abby or her friends. The aquarium scene was meant to mirror Joel and Ellie's museum trip but we've had 25+ hours to be attached to those characters and for it to mean something. We know Abby and pals for 2 hours at most. I don't care that I killed the pregnant woman or the dog. This is what I meant about hacky writing. "See what a monster you've become? Killing a pregnant woman and a dog?"

There is no weight to it!

el3mel

Finished it. 7 or so outta 10 for me.
I'm about 19 hours in and yeah I see myself rating it this by the end. 8 starts to seem a bit high for all its flaws, but 6 is very low as well. 7 seems right for me so far.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The second half of the game will have to be pretty shite for me to give it less than a 9. It's definitely not perfect but it's still fantastic. I love the weight of the combat and it's genuinely nerve wracking at times. Can't remember a game in recent years that gave me so many "oh feck" moments. It's also stunning looking, and Ellie is just a great character even though I don't find the story as strong as the first so far.

The biggest issues are definitely the annoying controls, the shitty enemy AI (especially in stealth) and the silly horror movie-esque decisions characters make at times to force the story forward.

Do I think a sequel was needed? Probably not, but right now I'm happy they made one cause it's great.

b82REZ

My TV has just been delivered so I plan to play this all the way up to the match this afternoon.

Ainu

Finished the game today. I think from a presentation stand point the it is incredible, from the graphics, audio, environments, animation, I think it's one of the most polished games I've ever played.

I think the story and themes were fine, if not a little ham-fisted. It definitely made me feel something and I commend it for that. Where the game falls short for me is the delivery of said story. I think the approach they took was doomed to fail. I think they only way that approach could have worked would have been to...

somehow tell the story from Abby's point of view first. To build some rapport with the character. Or even to jump between Ellie and Abby so that the hard reset half way through the game didn't feel so abrupt. But I'm not sure this would have made a difference

I didn't like any of the characters and thought they were very bland compared to the original. Only
Abby and Lev's
relationship came close to anything from the original.

I also disliked the end.
I felt the player should have been given a choice at the end to kill Abby and leave Lev to her fate. The game constantly moralises decisions which it takes out of the players hands, I thought it would have been a good way to let the player have the final say. I thought it would have been appropriate if Ellie's revenge cost her her family and her last link to Joel (the guitar) instead it turned out, it was just her indecision.

Overall I'm glad I played it. I loved the original, but didn't need a sequel like I feel some people needed one. I think people who accept this for what it is and not what they wanted it to be, will enjoy it a lot more
That part about wanting a player choice, I really don't get that. This game isn't about the player, it's about the characters. Ellie is Ellie, not a reflection of the player. The player doesn't get a choice because it's not their story, it's Ellie's and Abby's. The mindset that video games that try to reckon with the violence of its characters always necessarily have something to tell about the player, is hugely problematic for me, because it doesn't allow video games to evolve as a narrative medium. This game is not a Spec Ops: The Line. Yes, it wants to draw you in as a player and wants you to feel what the characters are feeling, but in my opinion there's never any doubt that it presents the decisions firmly as the character's. It doesn't try to moralise, what it wants is for the player to empathise.

On that note, I also can't imagine playing through the entire game and still wanting Ellie to kill Abby at the end. It's something I've been seeing a lot as one of the main complaints about the story and it just doesn't sit right with me. When Ellie found Abby at the end, I couldn't even bear the thought that she would somehow fight and kill her. Not just because I didn't want Abby to die - and I truly wanted her to live - but also because to me it would mean Ellie losing the last bit of her humanity, the last shred of hope for something better. I literally begged her to stop. And that's why I love the ending and the more I think about it, the more I'm loving it. Despite her returning to an abandoned farm, I still see it as something beautiful.

The idea that she already lost everything and might just as well have gotten that "sweet" revenge in return really doesn't work for me, because I felt she still had more to lose. Her capacity for empathy and as we saw in that final flashback with Joel, her capacity for forgiveness. In the end, that's what she managed to save. It's the only thing that gives me hope for a chance at something better in her future. It's also why I really wouldn't want a third game with her as protagonist.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That part about wanting a player choice, I really don't get that. This game isn't about the player, it's about the characters. Ellie is Ellie, not a reflection of the player. The player doesn't get a choice because it's not their story, it's Ellie's and Abby's. The mindset that video games that try to reckon with the violence of its characters always necessarily have something to tell about the player, is hugely problematic for me, because it doesn't allow video games to evolve as a narrative medium. This game is not a Spec Ops: The Line. Yes, it wants to draw you in as a player and wants you to feel what the characters are feeling, but in my opinion there's never any doubt that it presents the decisions firmly as the character's. It doesn't try to moralise, what it wants is for the player to empathise.

On that note, I also can't imagine playing through the entire game and still wanting Ellie to kill Abby at the end. It's something I've been seeing a lot as one of the main complaints about the story and it just doesn't sit right with me. When Ellie found Abby at the end, I couldn't even bear the thought that she would somehow fight and kill her. Not just because I didn't want Abby to die - and I truly wanted her to live - but also because to me it would mean Ellie losing the last bit of her humanity, the last shred of hope for something better. I literally begged her to stop. And that's why I love the ending and the more I think about it, the more I'm loving it. Despite her returning to an abandoned farm, I still see it as something beautiful.

The idea that she already lost everything and might just as well have gotten that "sweet" revenge in return really doesn't work for me, because I felt she still had more to lose. Her capacity for empathy and as we saw in that final flashback with Joel, her capacity for forgiveness. In the end, that's what she managed to save. It's the only thing that gives me hope for a chance at something better in her future. It's also why I really wouldn't want a third game with her as protagonist.
Felt the same. I was visibly cringing and hating it when Ellie was nearly drowning her. It just felt so pointless. But in a good 'the game made me feel this way' rather than in a bad way.

Bojan11

Resetera starting to turn on Druckmann. Him wishing Colin Moriarty well has already put him on the shit list. Few months before there are tons of threads moaning about this game.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I finished it. Took me 37 hours. :nervous:

I really enjoyed it.

I needed until the last third of the game to fully vibe with the story, but it ended up really resonating with me and looking back now I'm glad they tried something different.

My criticisms would be mostly about pacing in some areas and the story would really benefit from being a bit more focused.

I'd give it a 9/10. I was sort of hovering around 8 give or take midway through but I really loved what they did onwards from the part where
Abby and Lev have to go to get medical supplies

I can see me playing through this again to be honest. I checked the trophies and it seems like even though I thought I was being really thorough I've missed quite a lot. I'd easily be able to get the platinum doing a new game plus and just like to see what I notice in the story & narrative I missed first time round knowing now what's gonna happen.

Last edited:

Ainu

I finished it. Took me 37 hours. :nervous:

I really enjoyed it.

I needed until the last third of the game to fully vibe with the story, but it ended up really resonating with me and looking back now I'm glad they tried something different.

My criticisms would be mostly about pacing in some areas and the story would really benefit from being a bit more focused.

I'd give it a 9/10. I was sort of hovering around 8 give or take midway through but I really loved what they did onwards from the part where
Abby and Lev have to go to get medical supplies

I can see me playing through this again to be honest. I checked the trophies and it seems like even though I thought I was being really thorough I've missed quite a lot. I'd easily be able to get the platinum doing a new game plus and just like to see what I notice in the story & narrative I missed first time round knowing now what's gonna happen.
I think a second playthrough could show a lot of stuff along the way in a different light, so yeah I'll be doing one later as well. I might just wait for the PS5 though, if this gets an enhanced version with a solid 60 fps or some other tweaks.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m usually don’t with games once I finish but I could genuinely see myself playing this again too. Killing enemies is done so well in this game. Probably the best I’ve seen it done.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I think a second playthrough could show a lot of stuff along the way in a different light, so yeah I'll be doing one later as well. I might just wait for the PS5 though, if this gets an enhanced version with a solid 60 fps or some other tweaks.
Yeah I think I might wait for the PS5 too there actually. I just did a few of the first sections there and I found a note in an abandoned house signed by Seth, he had been stranded there with his two sons, starving and as a final desperate hail Mary they headed out towards some gunfire they heard hoping they would be friendly. Seth is also the the guy who runs the bar in Jackson. I found this the first time but didn't connect the dots.

el3mel

The gameplay in second half is actually much better than the first one. Much more tense and action moments.

It's shame as the story went down hill in this second half though. Pacing of the story is really terrible.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm liking the combat more and more as I go along. I love
when there are infected and people there too and the chaos that ensues if you feck a bottle at someone :lol:

b82REZ

About 3 hours in.

Enjoying it so far. The pacing is a bit erratic, feel there should have been a bit more gameplay sections in the build up to the first big event.

Graphically I feel like I'm watching a film at times. The shots in the Seattle Forest are insane.

Faetheshire86

Some of the marketing material in the lead up to the game, discussed morality like a game mechanic and that felt very present when I played through. I also feel they used player complicitness in a way other games don't. When I woke up as Abby, I felt very uncomfortable walking in her shoes. When I was chasing down Ellie as Abby, was probably when I felt the most conflicted. I actually paused at the top of the stairs, then just sprinted down them, because I felt so uncomfortable that I wanted the section to be over. Much more than I would have if it had been a cut-scene. I would be absolutely amazed if this wasn't intentional.

My problem with the ending isn't that I wanted to butcher Abby to make her pay for Joel's death (I also felt uncomfortable when I fought Abby as Ellie). My problem was the decisions Ellie made to get to that point. She gave up her partner, baby and idyllic home for revenge. Once that decision was made, I felt like there was no way back from that for Ellie and that, there was no chance of even a happy-ish ending. For her to change her mind (three times), felt almost ridiculous. The reason the player (or at least some) feel for Abby is because we walked in her shoes, otherwise she is no different from the Johns, Sandras and Dereks who were routinely slaughtered through-out the game.

I would have liked the symmetry of both Ellie and Abby breaking the cycle of violence, because if one doesn't, then it continues. I also agree that these character should be finished in terms of being main protagonists in future games, but maybe Abby just got Ellie on a good day/moment and she will be back to her murderous ways for part three?

Ainu

Some of the marketing material in the lead up to the game, discussed morality like a game mechanic and that felt very present when I played through. I also feel they used player complicitness in a way other games don't. When I woke up as Abby, I felt very uncomfortable walking in her shoes. When I was chasing down Ellie as Abby, was probably when I felt the most conflicted. I actually paused at the top of the stairs, then just sprinted down them, because I felt so uncomfortable that I wanted the section to be over. Much more than I would have if it had been a cut-scene. I would be absolutely amazed if this wasn't intentional.

My problem with the ending isn't that I wanted to butcher Abby to make her pay for Joel's death (I also felt uncomfortable when I fought Abby as Ellie). My problem was the decisions Ellie made to get to that point. She gave up her partner, baby and idyllic home for revenge. Once that decision was made, I felt like there was no way back from that for Ellie and that, there was no chance of even a happy-ish ending. For her to change her mind (three times), felt almost ridiculous. The reason the player (or at least some) feel for Abby is because we walked in her shoes, otherwise she is no different from the Johns, Sandras and Dereks who were routinely slaughtered through-out the game.

I would have liked the symmetry of both Ellie and Abby breaking the cycle of violence, because if one doesn't, then it continues. I also agree that these character should be finished in terms of being main protagonists in future games, but maybe Abby just got Ellie on a good day/moment and she will be back to her murderous ways for part three?
This is where I fundamentally disagree. Even when living in that farm, she was still broken inside. It was no longer about wanting revenge, it was the feeling that she wouldn't be able to continue as a person unless she repaid that debt to Joel. To the point that she probably thought she couldn't be a real partner or mother. Clearly what she needed at that point was therapy, but in the absence of that, she did the only thing she thought she could do. It was not really a decision, more like a compulsion.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm still chugging away, taking my time and soaking it all up. I do think if I didn't play on survival from the off though, and barely upgraded any weapons or Ellie I'd be way more bored. I think people are missing out there.

It's getting more stealth based now, which is a shame because that's easily the weakest part of the game. The A.I and sound engine are absolutely terrible (stealth dogs are hilarious!), and the level design is rudimentary at best, it's like playing a PS2 game at times for those things it's all really archaic.

Still, it's a very well built game in terms of atmosphere and it's keeping me interested even if the story beats aren't as good as the first. I love the birthday flashback too, it was very feels :lol:

Oh and no signs of these nasty "agendas" either!

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm still chugging away, taking my time and soaking it all up. I do think if I didn't play on survival from the off though, and barely upgraded any weapons or Ellie I'd be way more bored. I think people are missing out there.

It's getting more stealth based now, which is a shame because that's easily the weakest part of the game. The A.I and sound engine are absolutely terrible (stealth dogs are hilarious!), and the level design is rudimentary at best, it's like playing a PS2 game at times for those things it's all really archaic.

Still, it's a very well built game in terms of atmosphere and it's keeping me interested even if the story beats aren't as good as the first. I love the birthday flashback too, it was very feels :lol:

Oh and no signs of these nasty "agendas" either!
Drops into a room with half a dozen waist high covers.

"Wonder what's in here...."

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I have no idea how people can beat it on survivor. I actually struggled quite a lot just on normal. Found it hard to stay stealthy when I had little ammo.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I have no idea how people can beat it on survivor. I actually struggled quite a lot just on normal. Found it hard to stay stealthy when I had little ammo.
I'm not finding ammo a problem at all, but then I'm very used to these games. In fact, I'm leaving shitloads of stuff behind which is triggering me!

If anything, you may enjoy survival more as it forces you to get more creative with the stealth/combat and learn better. Although having said that, since the a.i is so tragic, it's also easy to wipe out entire encounters with minimal bullets. Or just 1 or 2 traps.