Gaming The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

Balljy

The third for the trilogy will probably see abbie and Ellie working together eventually or one saving the other

And one of them dying probably Ellie to produce a cure
I think the story will revolve around the immunity, but I actually think that's a bit too obvious and almost expected. They may find a similar way to achieve it though. If Ellie had kids genetically they could have done something with that as well, but they haven't gone down that route it appears.

Sylar

I think the story will revolve around the immunity, but I actually think that's a bit too obvious and almost expected. They may find a similar way to achieve it though. If Ellie had kids genetically they could have done something with that as well, but they haven't gone down that route it appears.
Maybe they introduce a character on the other side of the world who had the same genes or traits

Balljy

Maybe they introduce a character on the other side of the world who had the same genes or traits
Possibly. Also, Abby knows Ellie is immune now so is likely to track her down whatever else happens.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Finally finished it earlier and like many have said it is great overall. The pacing felt really bad at times but your investment in the story and characters drags you through what would otherwise make you extremely conscious of the fact you're doing the same shit over and over again - endlessly! When Ellie and Abby fought at the theatre I fully expected the game to be coming to an end, I was ready for it; but then Santa Barbara happens and I was a bit like ffs :rolleyes: which is a shame to be feeling that kinda way during this game.

Playing with Abby gradually had me rooting for her and as I started to loosen up on the 'attachment' to Ellie it made me realise how annoying she actually is as a personality. Like I get Ellie feels she's lost her purpose a bit with the vaccine thing and Joel getting murkt but she comes across as devoid of, well, anything. Difficult to continue empathising with her after getting familiar with a much more human Abby. I was glad Ellie didn't go through with it in the end, but even more relieved to have finally got this done!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Finally finished it earlier and like many have said it is great overall. The pacing felt really bad at times but your investment in the story and characters drags you through what would otherwise make you extremely conscious of the fact you're doing the same shit over and over again - endlessly! When Ellie and Abby fought at the theatre I fully expected the game to be coming to an end, I was ready for it; but then Santa Barbara happens and I was a bit like ffs :rolleyes: which is a shame to be feeling that kinda way during this game.

Playing with Abby gradually had me rooting for her and as I started to loosen up on the 'attachment' to Ellie it made me realise how annoying she actually is as a personality. Like I get Ellie feels she's lost her purpose a bit with the vaccine thing and Joel getting murkt but she comes across as devoid of, well, anything. Difficult to continue empathising with her after getting familiar with a much more human Abby. I was glad Ellie didn't go through with it in the end, but even more relieved to have finally got this done!
Friend of mine said he hated playing as Abby because she's just a murderer, and he hated how the game apparently went out of its way to make you empathize with her. I just told him "Look, either Ellie and Abby are both sympathetic characters or they're both arseholes. The point is perspective. You support Ellie because you've spent time with her, but she's going around mass murdering everyone in her path for a revenge story that only started because Joel killed a bunch of people in cold blood." He wasn't having it, told me that Ellie and Abby are totally different because blah blah blah, Abby killed Joel.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Friend of mine said he hated playing as Abby because she's just a murderer, and he hated how the game apparently went out of its way to make you empathize with her. I just told him "Look, either Ellie and Abby are both sympathetic characters or they're both arseholes. The point is perspective. You support Ellie because you've spent time with her, but she's going around mass murdering everyone in her path for a revenge story that only started because Joel killed a bunch of people in cold blood." He wasn't having it, told me that Ellie and Abby are totally different because blah blah blah, Abby killed Joel.
Haha it's mad (and lovely) how you can get such differing perspectives! Not in a rational way but I think everyone just loves Joel because he was the main character, lost his daughter and protected Elly means necessary but the morals are obviously not black and white but grey as is life.

It is funny that your mate sees Abby as some sort of monster though :lol: talk about tunnel vision!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Thats funny, as mentioned by another, differing perspectives. I have to admit i hated Abby at first but by the end of the game thought she was the more likeable character.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Haha it's mad (and lovely) how you can get such differing perspectives! Not in a rational way but I think everyone just loves Joel because he was the main character, lost his daughter and protected Elly means necessary but the morals are obviously not black and white but grey as is life.

It is funny that your mate sees Abby as some sort of monster though :lol: talk about tunnel vision!
Thats funny, as mentioned by another, differing perspectives. I have to admit i hated Abby at first but by the end of the game thought she was the more likeable character.
Yeah, I absolutely despised Abby and loved how the game set her up as this illusive Big Bad who you were always trying to hunt down. Sure, I knew that there was probably a reason why she killed Joel but it was all secondary information - kind of like how you don't really feel complete empathy when someone's telling you a story unless you can see it through their eyes.

He had just made up his mind after the leaks that he wasn't going to like Abby, and nothing was going to change that for him. Shame really because he missed out on a good story, I feel.

padr81

Supports
Man City
All things considered Abby's murder was unnecessarily dragged out and far worse than anything Ellie did in game. Ellie killed people and became a shocking terribly written character like every other character bar Lev and Yara in the game but she never dragged anything out for the sake of enjoyment. Its a massive factor in both characters. Early game Abby before she got all revengy was likable but she turned into a proper piece of shit. Ellie didn't slowly murder someone helpless on the ground to make herself feel good, that's how they aren't even comparable even though Ellie also comes off as a piece of shit.

By trying to be all shocking and push boundaries ND made Abby instantly unredeemable. Had she just killed Joel no one would have found her as bad but the fact she dragged it out for zero purpose other than she wanted to drag it out is huge. For all the murder Ellie commits to get to Abby and as cold blooded as she is, she doesn't once take enjoyment in it or do it because it makes her feel good. Even when she has Abby at the end, she doesn't try to drag it out, even gives her a fair chance.

As bad and all as the game tried to portray Ellie, she had no intention of killing Owen, Mel or the girl in the hospital who all died from Walking Dead level writing, she gave them every chance to talk. You can even see how fecked up Ellie is after torturing the girl in the hospital to talk and after killing Mel. Abby had little discomfort about slowly beating a helpless person to a pulp on the ground, or with murdering a pregnant woman or with screwing Owen behind Mels back which probably got them both killed.

I really don't think her and Ellie are remotely comparable and by the end of the game Ellie is a complete piece of shit. Abby is just on a different level.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
All things considered Abby's murder was unnecessarily dragged out and far worse than anything Ellie did in game. Ellie killed people and became a shocking terribly written character like every other character bar Lev and Yara in the game but she never dragged anything out for the sake of enjoyment. Its a massive factor in both characters. Early game Abby before she got all revengy was likable but she turned into a proper piece of shit. Ellie didn't slowly murder someone helpless on the ground to make herself feel good, that's how they aren't even comparable even though Ellie also comes off as a piece of shit.

By trying to be all shocking and push boundaries ND made Abby instantly unredeemable. Had she just killed Joel no one would have found her as bad but the fact she dragged it out for zero purpose other than she wanted to drag it out is huge. For all the murder Ellie commits to get to Abby and as cold blooded as she is, she doesn't once take enjoyment in it or do it because it makes her feel good. Even when she has Abby at the end, she doesn't try to drag it out, even gives her a fair chance.

As bad and all as the game tried to portray Ellie, she had no intention of killing Owen, Mel or the girl in the hospital who all died from Walking Dead level writing, she gave them every chance to talk. You can even see how fecked up Ellie is after torturing the girl in the hospital to talk and after killing Mel. Abby had little discomfort about slowly beating a helpless person to a pulp on the ground, or with murdering a pregnant woman or with screwing Owen behind Mels back which probably got them both killed.

I really don't think her and Ellie are remotely comparable and by the end of the game Ellie is a complete piece of shit. Abby is just on a different level.
I think you really missed the whole point of the way the story was written and how the characters were portrayed. Its goone whoosh completely over your head.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think you really missed the whole point of the way the story was written and how the characters were portrayed. Its goone whoosh completely over your head.
I've played the game start to finish twice and pretty sure I've missed nothing. I saw twice how the story was written... poorly and the characters were portrayed.. unlikable idiots. Lev, Yara and actually Manny aside.

Ainu

I really don't see how the game went out of its way to portray certain characters as terrible. That's what you make of it, I didn't get that. Flawed characters in a horrible world who are driven to do horrible things, that's what I see.

Amarsdd

I really don't see how the game went out of its way to portray certain characters as terrible. That's what you make of it, I didn't get that. Flawed characters in a horrible world who are driven to do horrible things, that's what I see.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Almost all characters felt grey living in a horrible world driven to do horrible things and looking terrible only from other character's perspectives i.e. Joel from Abby's, Abby from Ellie's.

edit: Ignore my comment, I read yours completely wrong.

Last edited:

Sylar

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Almost all characters felt grey living in a horrible world driven to do horrible things and looking terrible only from other character's perspectives i.e. Joel from Abby's, Abby from Ellie's.
Think it was in response to padr and what he thinks of Abby in general

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I agree with @padr81

Ellie gets an unfair rep when I don’t think her actions were worse than Abby’s.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don't think the game went out of its way to create Abby as some white Knight but it did cheesily villain up Ellie more through hamfistedness then intent. What I think is the game went out of its way to make Abby a decent person with flaws but couldn't pull it off because she was so cold blooded in the first place.
For me there's no redeeming someone who beats a helpless captive (who has just saved her life) continuously with a gold club when a simple bullet would have sufficed for no purpose other than emotion.

But also the game did some really cheesy things to darken Ellie... like having you look through the eyes of one of her victims while requiring you to push buttons to watch your own murder.. lots of little emotional manipulation. Imagine for a second the Joel scene and you have to play as Abby committing the murder whilst looking through Joel or even Ellies eyes?

The plot points for the characters were decent they were just carried out so over the top and hamfisted that its hard to find any of the characters redeemable, Abby in particular.
The "every villain is the hero of their own story" (Ellie) or more appropriately in this case every hero is someone else's villain (Joel to Abby, Abby to Ellie) doesn't work when the kick the dog scene is too dark.

Part of the reason the Joel killing Abby's dad was so understandable was the fact he refused to hand her over, he also chose to let the other doctors live (unless the player got trigger happy). Joels was grey, had he shot the doctor in the knee and beat him for 30 minutes for shits and giggles the ending would have felt much more like we were the bad guy. Joels choice was morally grey but selfish, you left the game thinking did he make the right choice?
Abby's could have been but instead it was black and I for one left the game thinking... she didn't have a dilemma at all, maybe minor guilt for what she did from a few lines to Lev. She made a horrid choice (in the manner of execution if not what it accomplished).

I should add I didn't hate the game totally, just thought it was hamfisted in how they applied the plot points and the characters suffered as a result.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I don't think the game went out of its way to create Abby as some white Knight but it did cheesily villain up Ellie more through hamfistedness then intent. What I think is the game went out of its way to make Abby a decent person with flaws but couldn't pull it off because she was so cold blooded in the first place.
For me there's no redeeming someone who beats a helpless captive (who has just saved her life) continuously with a gold club when a simple bullet would have sufficed for no purpose other than emotion.

But also the game did some really cheesy things to darken Ellie... like having you look through the eyes of one of her victims while requiring you to push buttons to watch your own murder.. lots of little emotional manipulation. Imagine for a second the Joel scene and you have to play as Abby committing the murder whilst looking through Joel or even Ellies eyes?

The plot points for the characters were decent they were just carried out so over the top and hamfisted that its hard to find any of the characters redeemable, Abby in particular.
The "every villain is the hero of their own story" (Ellie) or more appropriately in this case every hero is someone else's villain (Joel to Abby, Abby to Ellie) doesn't work when the kick the dog scene is too dark.

Part of the reason the Joel killing Abby's dad was so understandable was the fact he refused to hand her over, he also chose to let the other doctors live (unless the player got trigger happy). Joels was grey, had he shot the doctor in the knee and beat him for 30 minutes for shits and giggles the ending would have felt much more like we were the bad guy. Joels choice was morally grey but selfish, you left the game thinking did he make the right choice?
Abby's could have been but instead it was black and I for one left the game thinking... she didn't have a dilemma at all, maybe minor guilt for what she did from a few lines to Lev. She made a horrid choice (in the manner of execution if not what it accomplished).

I should add I didn't hate the game totally, just thought it was hamfisted in how they applied the plot points and the characters suffered as a result.
I'm sorry but as far as Abby knows; Joel was given sanctuary and then inexplicably massacred an entire building of her people and then kidnapped a little girl, basically dooming humanity. Oh, yeah, and he murdered her father as well.

You're putting way too much emphasis on how Abby tortured Joel. But, even so, he deserved it. He was a piece of shit.

They're all pieces of shit. Except maybe Jesse, I don't know. Maybe he liked to drown kittens in his spare time?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Aren't most people in games just big pieces of shit?

For example, Lara croft and Nathan Drake just kill loads of people while stealing artifacts.

Sylar

I'm sorry but as far as Abby knows; Joel was given sanctuary and then inexplicably massacred an entire building of her people and then kidnapped a little girl, basically dooming humanity. Oh, yeah, and he murdered her father as well.

You're putting way too much emphasis on how Abby tortured Joel. But, even so, he deserved it. He was a piece of shit.

They're all pieces of shit. Except maybe Jesse, I don't know. Maybe he liked to drown kittens in his spare time?
Having not played the first game yet, this is how I saw it when playing through both characters. I saw it from both perspectives especially after playing with Abby. I dont see it as a villian who is unreedamble but they are trying anyway. I see it as a human who felt she was justified.

Ainu

I just don't agree with the idea that they made Ellie some sort of villain. The scene you are referring to is dark and looks evil in isolation, but the way she then returns to the theater and looks completely broken, how she delivers that "I made her talk" line to Dina. It doesn't add up to ND supposedly portraying Ellie as a villain. It had the opposite effect on me, with the game showing Ellie still had her humanity and how the violence impacted her. I mean, compare that to Joel interrogating and murdering those two guys to find Ellie in the first game.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah, I think the characters are way more well written than some give them credit for, and certainly not "idiots".

What I think ND did well, was that they portrayed the characters in such a way that none of them were either redeemable or irredeemable. I didn't see it as black and white as that. I'm not saying the writing was 100% flawless because nearly nothing is, but I think they did a good job in telling a revenge tale in a way that felt fairly natural to the characters in it.

I found Abby an interesting character, personally. And again, for me, it wasn't about whether she redeemed herself or anything like that. I'm not even sure that was the point of it, to be honest. The only question I ever have is if this character is interesting and can I see things from their perspective. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with her, but can I understand WHY she would do something. In terms of killing Joel, I can definitely understand why she would do it. Now, how she did it was obviously extreme and psychopathic. But I guess this is something that she's been stewing on for years. It has consumed her every thought and made her bitter and angry to the point where nothing else matters. I'm not excusing her torturing him to death, but just trying to get into her psyche. You could see how scared she was at that moment, even when he's been incapacitated thanks to a shotgun to the leg.

And what I did like about that scene, and this comes down to the acting I suppose, but at no point did she take any glee or satisfaction from it. I think the futility of it all was there to see in her reaction. She was still as scared and as angry as she always has been. This didn't change that, and in fact, it just made things even worse.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yeah, I think the characters are way more well written than some give them credit for, and certainly not "idiots".

What I think ND did well, was that they portrayed the characters in such a way that none of them were either redeemable or irredeemable. I didn't see it as black and white as that. I'm not saying the writing was 100% flawless because nearly nothing is, but I think they did a good job in telling a revenge tale in a way that felt fairly natural to the characters in it.

I found Abby an interesting character, personally. And again, for me, it wasn't about whether she redeemed herself or anything like that. I'm not even sure that was the point of it, to be honest. The only question I ever have is if this character is interesting and can I see things from their perspective. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with her, but can I understand WHY she would do something. In terms of killing Joel, I can definitely understand why she would do it. Now, how she did it was obviously extreme and psychopathic. But I guess this is something that she's been stewing on for years. It has consumed her every thought and made her bitter and angry to the point where nothing else matters. I'm not excusing her torturing him to death, but just trying to get into her psyche. You could see how scared she was at that moment, even when he's been incapacitated thanks to a shotgun to the leg.

And what I did like about that scene, and this comes down to the acting I suppose, but at no point did she take any glee or satisfaction from it. I think the futility of it all was there to see in her reaction. She was still as scared and as angry as she always has been. This didn't change that, and in fact, it just made things even worse.
It kinda lent itself well to the theme of the story being that getting revenge won’t make you feel better and if anything makes it worse.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It kinda lent itself well to the theme of the story being that getting revenge won’t make you feel better and if anything makes it worse.
Yeah, and I think it's something they did really well in the main. The question of whether a certain character is redeemable or irredeemable didn't really come into it for me. Again, I'm not entirely sure that was the point. At least for me, anyway. Opinions may differ.

Sylar

Learning months after finishing the game that you can hold a normal infected and feed it to a clicker
Jheez

padr81

Supports
Man City
I just don't agree with the idea that they made Ellie some sort of villain. The scene you are referring to is dark and looks evil in isolation, but the way she then returns to the theater and looks completely broken, how she delivers that "I made her talk" line to Dina. It doesn't add up to ND supposedly portraying Ellie as a villain. It had the opposite effect on me, with the game showing Ellie still had her humanity and how the violence impacted her. I mean, compare that to Joel interrogating and murdering those two guys to find Ellie in the first game.
I'd agree with that, that was kinda my op, Ellie shows more regret for her actions than Abby (who while she shows regret is much more subtle). Joel like Abby is pretty cold blooded by comparison.

padr81

Supports
Man City

You are misunderstanding. There is way too much emphasis on it and more through ND stupidity than any evil intent. Abby is the only person in the series who slowly tortured someone for no reason other than self gratification. That was my original point. Joel was a selfish pos, Ellie is a selfish pos, but neither performed or dragged out a murder to make themselves feel good. My original point is because of the way Abby handled taking out Joel (who did deserve his death) then she become unredeemable. The manner she took Joel out is important, because a, he was just after saving her life and b, she had no purpose to drag it out especially knowing people would come looking and that there was a pregnant woman in her group.

Take Joel shooting Marlene or even Tess brutal killing of Robert. Cool blooded as hell but even though Tess killing was done for self satisfaction it was literally put him out of his misery and don't enjoy it.

padr81

Supports
Man City

I'll completely disagree and I got killed for saying Walking Dead level writing on here but to me it really is. Everything either happens by accident or by a character doing something silly and out of personality, or a character just being stupid (like Owen and his pregnant wife staying on a revenge mission after a man who eradicated the Firefly's single handedly, or Dina and her pregnancy, keeping it to herself while in hostile territory. I get what they tried and I'm delighted some people enjoyed, its one game I really wish I could get out of it what other people do but I can't.

Abby is indeed an interesting character.. She is also despite being a massive pos one character who is handed really consistently throughout the game bar a moment or two. The bolded part I don't get, I understand the why of what she did but not the how she accomplished it. The fact she was so willing to slit a pregnant womans throat, again consistent but makes her hard to empathise with.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'll completely disagree and I got killed for saying Walking Dead level writing on here but to me it really is. Everything either happens by accident or by a character doing something silly and out of personality, or a character just being stupid (like Owen and his pregnant wife staying on a revenge mission after a man who eradicated the Firefly's single handedly, or Dina and her pregnancy, keeping it to herself while in hostile territory. I get what they tried and I'm delighted some people enjoyed, its one game I really wish I could get out of it what other people do but I can't.

Abby is indeed an interesting character.. She is also despite being a massive pos one character who is handed really consistently throughout the game bar a moment or two. The bolded part I don't get, I understand the why of what she did but not the how she accomplished it. The fact she was so willing to slit a pregnant womans throat, again consistent but makes her hard to empathise with.
Yeah, I mean that's fine. Clearly your no fan of the game (or not a big fan, at least), and that's all good but I just simply disagree with pretty much everything you've said about it

I don't agree that's ND are stupid, or it's Walking Dead levels of writing, or it makes no sense, etc. I find all that very hyperbolic, personally. It's the same as when people said it was Game of Thrones season 8 bad. Come on. It's just so over the top and almost performative. What you find poorly written or characters not being consistent, I just don't agree with that. Most of the things you seemingly have a problem with, I never have done. I think the vast majority of it (apart from one or two things) makes sense and IS consistent.

As for the bold part, not sure what's not to get. I admitted that HOW she went about it was quite psychopathic and over the top, but that's the frame of mind she was in, I guess. I can see that turning people off, though. But I don't agree that she did it with a sense of gratification. Granted, she probably went into it for that, but she certainly didn't get gratification during or after, I don't think. I'll give another shout-out to the game here for not lingering on it, either. I didn't find that bit gratuitous at all.

As for empathizing with her, we're just coming at it from a different point of view, I guess. As I said in my previous comment, empathizing with her or finding her redeemable/irredeemable, etc., wasn't the point for me. As long as characters are consistent and interesting, and I can understand where they are coming from - even if I don't agree with them - that's all I want. And I think ND did a good job on all that (again, apart from one or two moments). If she DID slit Dina's throat, then for me that would be a step too far and I don't think that would have been consistent with her, to be honest.

I don't think the game is flawless or anything. There are problems with it, but I will always give it credit for ambition and having the balls to do some of the stuff they did (god knows the AAA game industry needs it), and for the most part, I think they did a great job.

Ainu

It is stupidity, but it is not illogical. Owen is still obviously in love with Abby and was never going to let her go alone. He cares far more for her than for Mel, which is also seen when he wants to leave for Santa Barbara with Abby but without Mel, and him putting both his own and Mel's life in danger at the aquarium because he doesn't want to give Abby's location away. Isn't it a bit lazy to dismiss that as bad writing, without looking beneath the surface and seeing there's a reason or motivation for that stupidity? Mel joins because she's hopelessly in love with Owen and the last thing she would want is to let Owen go with Abby without her.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, I mean that's fine. Clearly your no fan of the game (or not a big fan, at least), and that's all good but I just simply disagree with pretty much everything you've said about it

I don't agree that's ND are stupid, or it's Walking Dead levels of writing, or it makes no sense, etc. I find all that very hyperbolic, personally. It's the same as when people said it was Game of Thrones season 8 bad. Come on. It's just so over the top and almost performative. What you find poorly written or characters not being consistent, I just don't agree with that. Most of the things you seemingly have a problem with, I never have done. I think the vast majority of it (apart from one or two things) makes sense and IS consistent.

As for the bold part, not sure what's not to get. I admitted that HOW she went about it was quite psychopathic and over the top, but that's the frame of mind she was in, I guess. I can see that turning people off, though. But I don't agree that she did it with a sense of gratification. Granted, she probably went into it for that, but she certainly didn't get gratification during or after, I don't think. I'll give another shout-out to the game here for not lingering on it, either. I didn't find that bit gratuitous at all.

As for empathizing with her, we're just coming at it from a different point of view, I guess. As I said in my previous comment, empathizing with her or finding her redeemable/irredeemable, etc., wasn't the point for me. As long as characters are consistent and interesting, and I can understand where they are coming from - even if I don't agree with them - that's all I want. And I think ND did a good job on all that (again, apart from one or two moments). If she DID slit Dina's throat, then for me that would be a step too far and I don't think that would have been consistent with her, to be honest.

I don't think the game is flawless or anything. There are problems with it, but I will always give it credit for ambition and having the balls to do some of the stuff they did (god knows the AAA game industry needs it), and for the most part, I think they did a great job.
As a book fan I despised the last 3 seasons of Thrones with every fibre of my being... I guess as you said different people take different things from it. I've encouraged tons of people on here to play it and I far from hate it, its a solid 7/10 which I'll be honest I wasn't at all expecting when it first dropped. Maybe me being an opinionated dick kinda makes my points hyperbolic for sure. I will also openly admit, I compare this game to the first game and was it not a Last of Us title, I'd probably let more slide. Part 1 is easily one of the best game narratives I've ever experienced, so I am likely judging the writing and stuff in it, harsher than say I would God of War or even Uncharted.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It is stupidity, but it is not illogical. Owen is still obviously in love with Abby and was never going to let her go alone. He cares far more for her than for Mel, which is also seen when he wants to leave for Santa Barbara with Abby but without Mel, and him putting both his own and Mel's life in danger at the aquarium because he doesn't want to give Abby's location away. Isn't it a bit lazy to dismiss that as bad writing, without looking beneath the surface and seeing there's a reason or motivation for that stupidity? Mel joins because she's hopelessly in love with Owen and the last thing she would want is to let Owen go with Abby without her.
But its his child... like if Mel's not pregnant then I can totally understand Owen's decision making. I also get the need they had to put him in the room when Joel gets 9 ironed because if he's not there its likely Ellie nor Tommy get out of their alive. Its just its kinda too often silly stuff like that happens as opposed to one thing on their own. Like Owen following Abby is fine, Owen allowing Mel or not turning back with Mel when he finds out she's carrying his child it gets iffy, then you add in Dina doing the same and it becomes a point of (do all pregnant women or parents really care more about their friend/lovers revenge quest than their own unborn child?). If one of these little things happened in isolation I'd say fine, but when they kept piling them up and they add up its becomes a mess.

I'll try and go a bit deeper. In the Joel scene alone.
Fair enough Tommy drops a feck up (twice) and that's possibly in character. Then Joel confirms it to a bunch of armed strangers (I get the argument living in Jackson may have dulled him a bit). Abby shoots him in the knee and minutes after he's saved her doesn't hesitate in taking him out, instead goes for slow beating (purely in there for shock value). While Abby is wasting time and endangering her entire group, Ellie arrives sees Abby clubbing Joel, has a clear shot from the hallway but walks into a room without shooting to get tackled. It all adds up to what to me is a mess. You have Joel behaving out of character, a pregnant woman being fine with chilling on a murder mission and her bf who admittedly cares for Abby more, Ellie behaving out of character and it all kind of feels so contrived and unnatural compared to the way bad shit plays out in TloU 1 if that makes sense. If the Joel scene happened in tlou then Abby gets shot in the head from the corridor by Ellie or Tess.

Theres no one thing that drives me insane as much as there a bunch of small things that makes everything seem off. As I said above, likely a huge amount of this is my love of the first game and me judging it harshly because of it but I just see so many contradictions to characters, so many silly mistakes that happen for writers convenience in comparison to the first game, its tarnishes some great plot points for me.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
As a book fan I despised the last 3 seasons of Thrones with every fibre of my being... I guess as you said different people take different things from it. I've encouraged tons of people on here to play it and I far from hate it, its a solid 7/10 which I'll be honest I wasn't at all expecting when it first dropped. Maybe me being an opinionated dick kinda makes my points hyperbolic for sure. I will also openly admit, I compare this game to the first game and was it not a Last of Us title, I'd probably let more slide. Part 1 is easily one of the best game narratives I've ever experienced, so I am likely judging the writing and stuff in it, harsher than say I would God of War or even Uncharted.
Oh, I did not like the last two seasons of Game of Thrones at all. I thought both seasons 7 and 8 (but particularly 7) were terrible. That wasn't a defense of GoT! Just to make that clear. I was saying that people were comparing the writing of season 8 of GoT to The Last of Us 2 in terms of how bad it is. And that's just nonsense in my view.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the first game too. I think the second one is better, though. The gameplay is objectively much, much better. It's excellent actually.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Oh, I did not like the last two seasons of Game of Thrones at all. I thought both seasons 7 and 8 (but particularly 7) were terrible. That wasn't a defense of GoT! Just to make that clear. I was saying that people were comparing the writing of season 8 of GoT to The Last of Us 2 in terms of how bad it is. And that's just nonsense in my view.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the first game too. I think the second one is better, though. The gameplay is objectively much, much better. It's excellent actually.
Oh right, yeah, its not that level of fall off for sure. But I do genuinely see Walking Dead comparisons as legit, in terms of we need X character in place Y how do we get them there? I dunno, then they make them do something out of character to put them there.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
But its his child... like if Mel's not pregnant then I can totally understand Owen's decision making. I also get the need they had to put him in the room when Joel gets 9 ironed because if he's not there its likely Ellie nor Tommy get out of their alive. Its just its kinda too often silly stuff like that happens as opposed to one thing on their own. Like Owen following Abby is fine, Owen allowing Mel or not turning back with Mel when he finds out she's carrying his child it gets iffy, then you add in Dina doing the same and it becomes a point of (do all pregnant women or parents really care more about their friend/lovers revenge quest than their own unborn child?). If one of these little things happened in isolation I'd say fine, but when they kept piling them up and they add up its becomes a mess.

I'll try and go a bit deeper. In the Joel scene alone.
Fair enough Tommy drops a feck up (twice) and that's possibly in character. Then Joel confirms it to a bunch of armed strangers (I get the argument living in Jackson may have dulled him a bit). Abby shoots him in the knee and minutes after he's saved her doesn't hesitate in taking him out, instead goes for slow beating (purely in there for shock value). While Abby is wasting time and endangering her entire group, Ellie arrives sees Abby clubbing Joel, has a clear shot from the hallway but walks into a room without shooting to get tackled. It all adds up to what to me is a mess. You have Joel behaving out of character, a pregnant woman being fine with chilling on a murder mission and her bf who admittedly cares for Abby more, Ellie behaving out of character and it all kind of feels so contrived and unnatural compared to the way bad shit plays out in TloU 1 if that makes sense. If the Joel scene happened in tlou then Abby gets shot in the head from the corridor by Ellie or Tess.

Theres no one thing that drives me insane as much as there a bunch of small things that makes everything seem off. As I said above, likely a huge amount of this is my love of the first game and me judging it harshly because of it but I just see so many contradictions to characters, so many silly mistakes that happen for writers convenience in comparison to the first game, its tarnishes some great plot points for me.
I can understand your thinking but there's some reasonable explanations. For starters; Pregnant woman don't tend to go into isolation when they find out they're pregnant, and in such a harsh world that the group are living in its understandable that a group of friends would rather be there to protect one another and seek revenge for their people being killed. I also think they made it seem like she only found out near the end of their journey that's she's pregnant, but I might be wrong.

It's clear from your walkaround in Jackson that people have started to become more civilised again. It's not out of the realms of possibility that Tommy and Joel would drop back into comfortable thinking, especially with Abby who actively helps them take out the infected on their way back to her group. Their priority is now rebuilding a community, coupled with regimented patrols of a reducing threat from infected. There's also nothing that should suggest to Tommy and Joel that these are bad people since they're welcomed in and, and again since they're living very comfortable lives in Jackson they would be less hardened than they were before. It's stupid from them to be so naive but not really stupid writing.

The Ellie stuff is definitely strange, true, but I can't agree with you on the other stuff.