Television The Last of Us - TV Series HBO | NO GAME REFERENCES OR SPOILERS | Receives 24 Emmy nominations

macheda14

Thought episode two was better than the first episode, which was also great. That was Druckmann's directorial debut, fair play to him.
I mean to be fair he directed the games, it’s a pretty similar skill set. Really cool to see someone make the jump from games to TV in that sense.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I mean to be fair he directed the games, it’s a pretty similar skill set. Really cool to see someone make the jump from games to TV in that sense.
Considering that it's his live action directorial debut (I think?) It shows that Druckman is incredibly talented. It's probably annoyed that dickhead Reddit forum to no end.

Tbh it's a match made in heaven. Mazin is an incredible writer - dragged himself through the mud of shite comedies and script doctoring, into becoming "The Guy" that can walk into HBO and have them eating out of the palm of his hand after one single show just because it was so bloody perfect. Druckman has a vision built on an top tier game that he doesn't feel too protective over because of the mutual respect he and Craig have for one another. If anything it's helped him blossom more, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his own solo work in TV because of it.

The podcast really is really worthwhile, for those who haven't listened to it yet. It really delves into and explains a lot of how the show came to be, and you can hear the respect that these two writers have for one another.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Bella Ramsey is absolutely nailing Ellie by the way.
She even sort of looks like a young Ashley Johnson.

If anyone is interested, HBO has a podcast after every episode hosted by Troy Baker (Joel from the games) talking with Mazin and Druckmann. Super interesting listen.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What part of don't discuss the game or compare it to the TV show is hard to understand?

Please stop it or we will have to start handing out warning points.

Drawfull

What part of don't discuss the game or compare it to the TV show is hard to understand?

Please stop it or we will have to start handing out warning points.
How is discussing the casting process for the characters in an episode that's already aired talking about or comparing it to the game? You've deleted a link to the episode podcast I'd timestamped on that topic: are links to the episode podcasts not allowed?

Last edited:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I'm confused. The title says no game references or spoilers, does that mean just game spoilers or episode spoilers as well?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I'm confused. The title says no game references or spoilers, does that mean just game spoilers or episode spoilers as well?
No idea - think it just means you can only say things like "wow awesome episode" or "I enjoyed that one" without actually discussing anything. Also bit strange that we cannot discuss a tv show that is based on a video game, in the context of the video game that it is based on and have to go to a separate thread to do that.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
No idea - think it just means you can only say things like "wow awesome episode" or "I enjoyed that one" without actually discussing anything. Also bit strange that we cannot discuss a tv show that is based on a video game, in the context of the video game that it is based on and have to go to a separate thread to do that.
Yeah it doesn't make any sense not to be able to discuss episode spoilers. If someone clicks onto the thread and isn't up to date it's totally their own fault if something is spoiled. The game spoilers I can understand because to have future stuff spoiled on you that isn't released would not be nice but to not to be able to discuss what happened in episodes is crazy.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Thought it was a great episode, the clickers were terrifying, the second they came one screen my wife picked up her phone so she wouldn't have to be too scared :lol:

Fully Fledged

Yeah it doesn't make any sense not to be able to discuss episode spoilers. If someone clicks onto the thread and isn't up to date it's totally their own fault if something is spoiled. The game spoilers I can understand because to have future stuff spoiled on you that isn't released would not be nice but to not to be able to discuss what happened in episodes is crazy.
You can discuss episode spoilers as long as the episode has aired. You are not allowed to bring in game spoilers. Not even how it equates to the aired episodes.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Are you only capable of discussing something if it's based on a game you've already played?

The spoiler policy is quite simple and it's already been posted in the thread. If you want to discuss in the context of the game, go to the other thread.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Thought it was a great episode, the clickers were terrifying, the second they came one screen my wife picked up her phone so she wouldn't have to be too scared :lol:
How do you know they are called “Clickers”? Nobody called them that. Has this come from the games?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I don't like the wait.

I prefer to watch it at my leisure, sometimes I can binge it over 2 or 3 days depending on how many episodes. :wenger:
I was just discussing this with a friend. I think with top quality shows I much prefer to treat them like a fine wine or an expensive whiskey. Rather than downing it one go, it's best to take a sip and allow your pallet to experience the full flavour.

I actually don't like binge watching any more, i'd rather have a gap after each episode to mull it over and think about what happened rather than just taking all the story at once.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
All these nuanced rules around spoilers etc have always confused me with threads like these. Surely it should be as simple as if you’ve seen the latest ep you’re safe to check out the thread to you know, discuss it. If you haven’t seen it then don’t go in.

arnie_ni

All these nuanced rules around spoilers etc have always confused me with threads like these. Surely it should be as simple as if you’ve seen the latest ep you’re safe to check out the thread to you know, discuss it. If you haven’t seen it then don’t go in.
That's the rule isn't it? Just don't bring the game into it.

AlPistacho

Think the rules are pretty simple tbh. Not everyone has played the game. So discussing the game can and has already led to spoilers. So don’t discuss the game and keep everything about the show and all spoilers about aired episode. The last probably to stop those with game knowledge getting creative.

AlPistacho

You can discuss episode spoilers as long as the episode has aired. You are not allowed to bring in game spoilers. Not even how it equates to the aired episodes.
The “slippery slope” concept. At first people will know and stick to it but then posts will get more liberal. One poster might wonder how the next episode might compare to the game based on the last and another answers they have a discussion and before you know they’d have spoilt 80% of the story for people.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
How do you know they are called “Clickers”? Nobody called them that. Has this come from the games?
Also referenced by the show runners in their official HBO podcast for episode 2 (which airs only after the newest episode drops)

Smores

The sounds used to terrify my wife when I played the game below the bedroom, used to seep into her dreams. Think she has PTSD trying to watch the show :lol:

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Are you only capable of discussing something if it's based on a game you've already played?

The spoiler policy is quite simple and it's already been posted in the thread. If you want to discuss in the context of the game, go to the other thread.
It’s a show based on the game. Comparisons will definitely come up. Did we have separate Witcher threads for when the show came out, one to discuss the show as it is and one to discuss the show in the context of the game?
Pretty silly really. Just put everything in spoilers in one thread when discussing anything related to the plot.

Sylar

It's Game of Thrones thread again with these discussions :lol:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It’s a show based on the game. Comparisons will definitely come up. Did we have separate Witcher threads for when the show came out, one to discuss the show as it is and one to discuss the show in the context of the game?
Pretty silly really. Just put everything in spoilers in one thread when discussing anything related to the plot.
But people rightly think a spoiler tag is related to what's already been aired. If you want to discuss what's already been aired you're likely to open the spoilers. If people use the spoilers for game stuff they're going to spoil it for those who haven't played the game.

Fully Fledged

The “slippery slope” concept. At first people will know and stick to it but then posts will get more liberal. One poster might wonder how the next episode might compare to the game based on the last and another answers they have a discussion and before you know they’d have spoilt 80% of the story for people.
Oh I agree. I understand the need for separation. I don't know if naming the type of infected that we have seen so far as so many people have done contravenes the policy or not.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap

Ramos

Intro was great, changes they made from the game were good in this episode and all the actors nailed it.

Thought it was better than the first episode.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It obviously doesn't mean you can't discuss episode spoilers. If it happened in the TV series, you can discuss it - without spoiler tags.

Do you really think it's strange that you nave to go to another thread to discuss the the context of the game that the TV series is based on? Most people who watch this will never have played the games. It would just result in a new thread being made just for the TV discussion. In other words, this thread.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Really enjoying the flashbacks at the start of the episodes. Hope that's a thing they keep dropping in to flesh out the build up to Fungal Armageddon.

Second episode had me on edge. I actually can't even remember what happened in the first game apart from the ending so no spoilers from me. :lol: