Television The Last of Us - TV Series HBO | NO GAME REFERENCES OR SPOILERS | Receives 24 Emmy nominations

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
second-most-watched series debut in a decade and has since climbed to 22 million viewers across all platforms

Crazy numbers
I know it had quite the cult following, but i'm surprised it's been that popular.

I guess the hype train has made even gaming casuals want to watch it

Sylar

I know it had quite the cult following, but i'm surprised it's been that popular.

Interested in the sky Atlantic numbers as they promoted it well here in UK

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

They marketed the shit out of it, not surprising given it’s the most expensive HBO show ever. Plus the fact that it’s made by the creator or Chernobyl and has The Mandalorian in it, it was always going to be a huge success once the reviews were good. I doubt the vast majority of people watching it have played the game or even knew it existed before watching the show.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They marketed the shit out of it, not surprising given it’s the most expensive HBO show ever. Plus the fact that it’s made by the creator or Chernobyl and has The Mandalorian in it, it was always going to be a huge success once the reviews were good. I doubt the vast majority of people watching it have played the game or even knew it existed before watching the show.
That's a fair point. It's got a lot of ticks in that sense from people that might not actually know about the series.

AlPistacho

You can discuss the game in the thread with the typos in the title.
Can we now make it against the rules for people to moan about not being allowed to discuss the game in this thread. It’s become tiresome with all the comments about it or not understanding what are actually quite simple rules. Literally the majority of the past 2 pages are about that.

AlPistacho

Not even gaming casuals. I think any show that gets so heavily rated after 1 episode, especially a HBO show which others have said had huge marketing will get more and more viewers.

Also I think Pedro Pascal being joint lead plays a huge part, every show his been in has been a success and spans across different genres. So he has a wide fan base, or audience that is aware of him and will pay attention to things his in.

jungledrums

Just watched the 2nd episode and I loved it. Casting has been fantastic and I love how thats turned out. Absolutely love the interpretations of the various scenes etc.
Im blown away I couldnt be happier.

One question though, people complaining about the pacing.... what the feck do you mean exactly?
It feels like one of those onl;ine buzzwords that people use to make themselves sound intellectual or some shit.
The show is fantastic, this whinging about pacing just mirrors the feckwits who used that buzzword relative to the game.
Give me a fecking break you pretentious twats.
Christ that elicited a lot of anger. Are you okay? Are people not allowed to dislike the show, or find fault in the ‘pacing’?

Anyway, loving it myself.

arnie_ni

Not even gaming casuals. I think any show that gets so heavily rated after 1 episode, especially a HBO show which others have said had huge marketing will get more and more viewers.

Also I think Pedro Pascal being joint lead plays a huge part, every show his been in has been a success and spans across different genres. So he has a wide fan base, or audience that is aware of him and will pay attention to things his in.
I'm only watching it because of him. I only know it's a game because of here.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Second episode was great. Would also recommend the HBO accompanying podcast. I much prefer this week by week release than the whole binge thing. Gives you a chance to really savour each episode. Really looking forward to the next one.
I enjoyed the whole binge thing when it first took hold but now I much prefer having a weekly episode drop. The weeks wait now seems to make it more enjoyable, something to look forward to.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Second episode was great. Would also recommend the HBO accompanying podcast. I much prefer this week by week release than the whole binge thing. Gives you a chance to really savour each episode. Really looking forward to the next one.
Yep. Some shows are just not made for a full simultaneous release. Succession wouldn't be as good if I could watch it all at once, and Severance definitely wouldn't be. Half the fun is discussing it in the interim.

Glorio

I just learnt what a soft touch I've become watching TWD with slow and frankly weak zombies, there's a lot more jeopardy with these creatures in this show and the tension was unbearable at points! :lol:

Dan

Sky have put the first episode on YouTube, probably will only work for people in the UK.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Never played the game but I've heard nothing but mega praise for it plus I've got a vague idea of what the concepts about ,also I love a good disturbing disaster movie/tv show/book/game.

Will try to check this out.

Cole9

Enjoying it so far, particularly the first episode. Having played the game, there’s a few aspects of the show that I don’t like, but will reserve judgement until the end.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I think there is now a big probability that the television series overtakes the narrative from the game. I know Mazin and Druckmann both said they wouldn't allow a Game of Thrones scenario but with the viewership as good as it has been, HBO will surely keep renewing seasons. Part III in the game series is years away probably. Will be interesting to see how they tackle it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I think there is now a big probability that the television series overtakes the narrative from the game. I know Mazin and Druckmann both said they wouldn't allow a Game of Thrones scenario but with the viewership as good as it has been, HBO will surely keep renewing seasons. Part III in the game series is years away probably. Will be interesting to see how they tackle it.
I guess it might come down to how the IP transfer was contracted. If it was strictly limited to the games, or if Naughty Dog has complete creative control, then it may not be up to HBO.

Sylar

Defo would be intriguing given you have the guy in charge of the initial story attached to this.

Also agree some shows are made for weekly viewing (this, lost, game of thrones)
Allows for much better discussion too

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I really wanted to wait all the episodes to come out before starting it, but last night I couldn't resist, saw the first 2 ep. Exceptionally well done, really enjoyed it. I have some reservations regarding the actress that plays Ellie but will see...

Sylar

I really wanted to wait all the episodes to come out before starting it, but last night I couldn't resist, saw the first 2 ep. Exceptionally well done, really enjoyed it. I have some reservations regarding the actress that plays Ellie but will see...
What are the reservations?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yep. Some shows are just not made for a full simultaneous release. Succession wouldn't be as good if I could watch it all at once, and Severance definitely wouldn't be. Half the fun is discussing it in the interim.
I've got that problem right now. Episode 6 - oh, the thing happened and it's a big deal. Where will the story go after the thing happens? Two minutes later I'm watching Episode 7 and I find out what happens after the thing. Absolutely zero tension.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I've got that problem right now. Episode 6 - oh, the thing happened and it's a big deal. Where will the story go after the thing happens? Two minutes later I'm watching Episode 7 and I find out what happens after the thing. Absolutely zero tension.
The solution is to just watch one episode per week, or every few days (or even one per day). But that takes a lot of dedication, and sometimes it's just easier to not watch it at all and write off the loss.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Watched the first two episodes this evening. Fantastic stuff, and good to see Anna Torv again!

edcunited1878

The casting is very good and the new episode tonight will only further enhance the cast.

Looking forward to seeing the continued evolution of Joel/Ellie partnership.

Amarsdd

Just started the episode and I already know Bill and Frank’s story will break my heart

Drawfull

Had a quick look at Rotten after and surprisingly only one review so far with the sadly predictable response. I expected there'd be a lot more.

Last edited:

AlPistacho

Pretty good episode. Maybe a bit longer than necessary.
Loved the diner scene so different types of tension going on and also some things a bit funny.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Boring as feck. Some funny interactions here and there, but boring as feck over all. Don't feel it added anything that couldn't have been covered in a lot less time either. We will never see these characters again, so why the 20 years of back story just to tell us something that could have been told in a fraction of the time? Meh.

Ted Lasso

Wow. That was brilliant. I had my reservations about things they might change from the game but that was so so well done.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Its great getting these bits of the story the game couldnt explore, helps make the whole thing more complete. My only complaint would be this story arc could have been a bit shorter but maybe Im just too keen to get on with the story.