Television The Last of Us - TV Series HBO | NO GAME REFERENCES OR SPOILERS | Receives 24 Emmy nominations

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Love it so far. Wish I could lobotomize the part of my brain that knows what's going to happen though.

edcunited1878

I appreciate a lot of you people who got this on my attention...especially knowing how amazing Chernobyl was on HBO.

Last night's episdoe was fantastic. Also, there's a documentary on Netflix (US) called 'Fantastic Fungi'...highly recommend watching to further understand a little more what's going on with the fungi.

SirAnderson

Argh, I knew I shouldn't have come into this thread.
But I will stick waiting for all the episodes to drop before I start it, but sounds like it is really good. Can't wait.

edcunited1878

I also really liked the short Jakarta bit.
Just like the beginning of episode 1. Those intros can really deviate from the rest of the episode when you look at countless other shows. The context, setup, and reasoning comes back into play very very well and clean throughout the 2nd episode and answers some questions of why certain things are done in episode 1.

Bobski

So, is this actually and truthfully good? Have not had the chance to watch it as yet, but the hype has been considerable.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So, is this actually and truthfully good? Have not had the chance to watch it as yet, but the hype has been considerable.
It's great. Even as someone who's played the games and is very protective of the story and characters it's bloody solid. At the moment it's "a good HBO show" but it has potential to be a classic if they keep going in this direction. Not The Wire/Sopranos classic but maybe a Deadwood or Westworld (season 1), which is still a pretty high bar all things considered.

Reviewers have said that the first episode is the weakest one. I felt that episode two was weaker, but mainly because it just felt too short. That might be a me problem though because I had to pause it about ten times because kids kept coming into the room to annoy me with questions like "when's dinner?" And "can't we please have some food, it's been four days".

Bobski

It's great. Even as someone who's played the games and is very protective of the story and characters it's bloody solid. At the moment it's "a good HBO show" but it has potential to be a classic if they keep going in this direction. Not The Wire/Sopranos classic but maybe a Deadwood or Westworld (season 1), which is still a pretty high bar all things considered.

Reviewers have said that the first episode is the weakest one. I felt that episode two was weaker, but mainly because it just felt too short. That might be a me problem though because I had to pause it about ten times because kids kept coming into the room to annoy me with questions like "when's dinner?" And "can't we please have some food, it's been four days".
Awesome, it was about time we got a top notch genre show again, especially one that is respectful to the source material. Some of the other shows could learn from that.

Cheers.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It’s crazy to see such a brilliant, big budget, faithful representation of one of my favourite games on tv given the history of video game adaptations. They had no right making this as good as it is, and it’s amazing.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Its seriously good. Even knowing the story inside out as I do I feel like Im watching something for the first time some of the time. They have added stuff that helps with context and helped explain what caused it all. The cast and acting have been superb.

edcunited1878

Wait, who lived through an apocalpyse?
Accelerated global warming, which has had a direct impact on the environment and living organisms. In addition, we've experienced a pandemic, obviously not quite to the level as shown in The Last of Us, but where there is no actual cure and the impact that has. We don't need to live out 2003 to 2023 in the show, it's extremely evident as to what has happened and it's very aggressive.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
It's got off to a terrific start I can say that much.

I've loved the show so far and I played both of the games.

Eliie has won me over during the firs two ep's. My inital reaction to her casting was that doesn't look like ellie. But stuff like that doesn't really matter.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Dafuq...really don't want to imagine that actual humans could make such sounds. Seems a stretch though.
If Steve the Pirate from Dodgeball can do the voice for Heihei the Chicken in Moana then anything is possible.

Simbo

I’m not really feeling it. It’s obviously really well made, so no shade on the quality of production. I’m just not finding post-apocalypse adaptation number 11,794,765 to be all that original or refreshing. There are some unique elements I suppose but it just feels like another zombie thing with a twist. Good acting, great production, but I find the material pretty dull tbh. I’m not familiar with the game, so perhaps just am not that connected to the universe.
There may be a million adaptations of this genre but not many done right. Season 1 of Walking Dead, 28 days later, dawn of the dead, struggling to think of many others, appreciate any recommendations. They appear to of got this one right so far. Killing off the cute, quirky, lovable kid 30 mins in is always a good sign!

wr8_utd

:'(
As someone who has not played the game but watched enough of The Walking Dead, the parallels are obvious but this does seem far better made (HBO, of course) so far and with less plot armor for characters. Really enjoying it.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Museum section was very good

Pedro Pascal is a good Joel but for some reason he keeps looking like he is about to laugh

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Whenever I watch this, and I'm rewatching Chernobyl for the fourth time right now, I just think "this guy also wrote Scary Movie 4." Hope for the rest of us idiots yet.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Episode 2 marginally stronger than episode 1. I like the idea
that if you give up willingly to the fungus you don't get attacked. Clever move by Tess to give her time to light the lighter, had she tried to fight it off she might never had exploded the place. Gross as hell too.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Whenever I watch this, and I'm rewatching Chernobyl for the fourth time right now, I just think "this guy also wrote Scary Movie 4." Hope for the rest of us idiots yet.
Chernobly that good? Outside of comedy's I've never watched a tv show that much.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Chernobly that good? Outside of comedy's I've never watched a tv show that much.
It's bloody marvelous! If you get a chance I'd really recommend watching it - only five episodes long!

On the TLOU podcast Mazin says that he wanted to do the same thing he did in Chernobyl, which is emphasise how there's looming doom that everyone is aware of yet we ignore it until it's too late.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Thought episode two was better than the first episode, which was also great. That was Druckmann's directorial debut, fair play to him.

The clicker introduction was so good. Really tense scene. They nailed it. Loved the opening scene too detailing the background to the infection. Bill and Frank episode next week is apparently amazing, can't wait.

CloneMC16

I’m not really feeling it. It’s obviously really well made, so no shade on the quality of production. I’m just not finding post-apocalypse adaptation number 11,794,765 to be all that original or refreshing. There are some unique elements I suppose but it just feels like another zombie thing with a twist. Good acting, great production, but I find the material pretty dull tbh. I’m not familiar with the game, so perhaps just am not that connected to the universe.
This take wouldn't surprise me for people that haven't played the game. I do wonder how I would feel about it if I were going into it with no knowledge of the source material.

As a fan of the game, I really enjoy it. The way I usually watch tv shows is to binge it all at once. It's gonna suck having to wait every week for a new episode.

rpitchfo

Not sure what’s setting it apart from another decent post apocalyptic zombie series yet. I’m enjoying it but I enjoy post apocalyptic zombie series.

edcunited1878

Do you folks watch the short videos after the credits? A short teaser for next episode, but also a producer and director POV of the episode just finished. It provides a lot of context and insight into what is going on (or attempted to be portrayed).

ExoduS

Great show so far, great! I played it so long ago that most of the things I forgot. Episode 1 expected scene hit hard, very hard. Knowing what is going to happen just made it even harder. Teared up a little bit, not gonna lie.

Amazing show so far. Exceeded my expectations and my expectations were high.

arnie_ni

Haven't really watched these type of shows or movies before but giving this a whirl mainly because of PP. think it's been good so far.

Amarsdd

Very good episode again. I'm buying a lot more into Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey as Joel and Ellie this episode than I did from the first one. And loved that Joel was an equally bad shot as I was when I first played the game. :lol:

Last edited:

GloryHunter07

Amazing so far, as someone who didnt play the game ive been very impressed. Im a big fan of Chernobyl and the dystopian genre in general so more of the same please.