Television The Last of Us TV series in the works from Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin and Naughty Dog's Neil Druckmann

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
No thanks, she's 23 years old.

Ellie should be played by a young, unknown actress.

Oh and not be black cause.. uh.. feckin' woke SJW's amirite @AaronRedDevil
It's funny because I've imagined a TV version of this for years now and the only actor I can ever think of who would play a good Joel, and have that ferociousness whilst still coming across as charismatic, fatherly but damaged, is Idris Elba. His Luther and the way he protected the kid in that is closer to Joel than Wolverine and the wee wolf lassie (he just doesn't come across as dangerous even when he's putting his angry face on, which is all the time apparently) or Jaime Lannister simply because he has a beard. In Luther, Idris portrays a character more layered than simply "angry man" and that's what Joel needs. He's borderline psychotic, near suicidal but yet still calculating and focused. Plus he looks like if he hit you your head would fall off.

This is the problem for me with a lot of the fan choices - they just "look" like the characters and don't necessarily have the right characteristics that define someone more than whether or not their face fits. That's my opinion, anyway.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
My problem with this series is that i think they should focus on other characters in this world. Ellie and Joel's story has been told. They already nailed it. It's one of the best games ever made and you're very unlikely to improve on it. We know these characters so well, i don't like the idea of having another Ellie and Joel.

So hopefully they will do that, otherwise i'm very skeptical of this show.

diarm

What about Josh Brolin? His performance in No Country For Old Men is almost an audition for Joel.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
My problem with this series is that i think they should focus on other characters in this world. Ellie and Joel's story has been told. They already nailed it. It's one of the best games ever made and you're very unlikely to improve on it. We know these characters so well, i don't like the idea of having another Ellie and Joel.

But isn't that the point of adapting it into a TV show, like lots.of books. It's an amazing story about two strangers on a journey, and it's a shame to miss the opportunity to let non gamers see it.

Bobski

Good points, and also part of the reason why there was much uncertainty over the necessity of a sequel. I think the story arc of Joel and Ellie was close to perfect and further focus on their character runs the risk of the diluting that. Having said that, the DLC added to the game and characters so perhaps I need to trust the creators.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
But isn't that the point of adapting it into a TV show, like lots.of books. It's an amazing story about two strangers on a journey, and it's a shame to miss the opportunity to let non gamers see it.
That's true.

I'm obviously looking at it from the POV of somebody who's played and absolutely loves the game. I just think you've nailed it once, don't feck it up with an adaption that more than likely isn't going to live up to the original. I also like the idea of focusing on other characters in that world. So you get to tell the story in that world, but from a different POV. I dunno. Just skeptical of it personally.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Good points, and also part of the reason why there was much uncertainty over the necessity of a sequel. I think the story arc of Joel and Ellie was close to perfect and further focus on their character runs the risk of the diluting that. Having said that, the DLC added to the game and characters so perhaps I need to trust the creators.
Yeah the sequel thing is a strange one. I can't wait to play it, but at the same time i kinda which they never done it. It was perfect the way it was. I'm sure the new one will be great, but there's also some worry that it just won't live up to expectation.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That's true.

I'm obviously looking at it from the POV of somebody who's played and absolutely loves the game. I just think you've nailed it once, don't feck it up with an adaption that more than likely isn't going to live up to the original. I also like the idea of focusing on other characters in that world. So you get to tell the story in that world, but from a different POV. I dunno. Just skeptical of it personally.
Yeah, I agree. The other characters were amazing (and maybe the biggest reason why I stopped watching The Walking Dead, as those extra characters all became so damn bland and sparse).

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think the first half or so of the season should focus on Joel and Sarah and also Ellie's upbringing.

You'll want people to get attached to Sarah and have her death be a big gut-punch.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
NCW, looking ragged like in Shot Caller, would be great. Not quite ‘younger Nathan Fillion playing Nathan Drake in an Uncharted movie’ perfect, but still right on target.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
God I hope they cast Idriss Elba or Will Smith or something. The gamer outrage on the internet would be fecking hilarious. Other than that, I'm sure it'll be shite like everything based on a video game.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
They're going to have to make big changes for this to work. The emotional involvement of video games is strongly linked to playing it yourself, as opposed to simply watching the events play out in front of you, which is why video game adaptations rarely work that well. Still, fair play to HBO for taking a risk with this. I thoroughly enjoyed playing it and will definitely be seeking it out if it turns out to be alright.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Just out of interest, I remember there being pretty firm discussions about them potentially making this into a film a few years ago, starring Hugh Jackman and Maisie Williams. They had a script, they were doing table-reads, but then nothing happened for eighteen months so they shelved it. Then Neil Druckmann revealed about two years later that he just didn't feel comfortable turning it into a movie so scrapped the whole thing.

I imagine a TV series will incorporate plot elements of the second game, maybe.

Bojan11

God I hope they cast Idriss Elba or Will Smith or something. The gamer outrage on the internet would be fecking hilarious. Other than that, I'm sure it'll be shite like everything based on a video game.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

A huge number of people have never played the game so dont know the story. I think its a great idea to do the first story for the massive numbers of people who dont play games and dont know the story.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Okay. Here's the thing. What the feck would be wrong with Mahershala Ali playing Joel? Because I can't think of a single person who defines who Joel is as a character based on how he looks. In fact, I'm struggling to think of many characters in any show that are defined by how they look unless it's something that makes them "different" from what society classifies as normal.

So far I've seen people say Hugh Jackman would suit the role - yeah, okay, I could see that. He has the right intensity and charisma to pull it off. But then I saw people say that the guy who played Jaime Lannister should get the part, and they proved this by showing a comparison picture between him and Joel where they both have rugged beards. I'm sorry but the guy who played Jaime Lannister can't act for shit and comes across as a little bitch.

Appearances aren't everything, especially when writing characters. It's why most video game movies feel hollow - because they hire someone who looks slightly like a computer generated character, stick them in the same outfit, but then completely fail to have that character act like they do in the games.

fecking neckbeards.

Sweet Square

Loads of reactionaries will hate the show because of it's ''progressive'' values and in turn liberals will defend it to the hill. The actual quality of show(It will very bog standard 7 out ten) will be consumed by the majority of the audience and will be completely irrelevant within a year.

And thus we will continue into the void.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Would've been hilarious if Ali got the role, the nerd rage would be amazing.

I reckon Bella Ramsey will be a great Ellie. She was really good in GoT and she does excellent voice acting in Hilda.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I still like my Sicario-ish Benicio del Toro pick for Joel, but I don’t know if he’s getting long in the tooth for it.

Sylar

Every character should be a GoT alumni who didn't have a big role or wasn't around for a long time

Abby should be played by Dickon

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I finished the sequel recently, loved both games. This is interesting that it is being adapted for a series, it definitely suits a series more than a movie so the characters can evolve. Look forward to it.

Last edited:

)_(

Was really hoping for Hugh jackman to play Joel. Cant see Pascal as him tbh.
Hugh Jackman is way too old for Joel. Pedro has shown to be a good single dad on the Mandalorian.

Not sure about Bella Ramsey, her character on GoT wasn't great but I'll blame that on the writing and see how she does here. She's age appropriate at least.

Ainu

Hugh Jackman is way too old for Joel. Pedro has shown to be a good single dad on the Mandalorian.

Not sure about Bella Ramsey, her character on GoT wasn't great but I'll blame that on the writing and see how she does here. She's age appropriate at least.
Hugh Jackman is 52, certainly in the ballpark for the first game. It takes place 20 years after the intro, where Joel has a 12 year old daughter. Even if he had her when he was 18, that still makes him 50 at the start of the first game. Give or take a few years.