The "lazy black player" stereotype

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Some gorillas can be lazy and can't play football.

I'm actually called the chimp in my team. I have long arms which dangle very similar to a monkey's.

I am white british, would it be cosidered as racist if I was black?

Fyi I haven't seen the original post. I'm sure there was no malice.

El Jefe

That post in the Lukaku thread was horribly out of line but other than that I didn't think any of the other posts criticising him had racial undertones.

We can say Lukaku was stumbling across the pitch or call him a donkey without it being racist, see Andy Carroll. Regarding his workrate, for a side that is used to hard working strikers like Rooney, Tevez, Rashford, Chicharito, Welbeck and many more its easy to see why he's seen as lazy. I remember a clip in his Everton days of Ashley Williams screaming at him to make runs because he was just stood there.

Bola

We've had a pretty horrendous post in the Lukaku thread comparing him to a gorilla. All very 1970s. What he also gets a lot of are accusations of laziness and of being dumb. Check out the performance thread - it does not make edifying reading.

Anyone can be lazy of course, irrespective of colour, but I made reference to black players long being subjected to far more accusations of this nature than their white counterparts. Not all, of course, but it happens and has been for a long time. Pointing out it's prevalence gets the usual response of "oh it's the PC brigade"

Black players have spoken at length about it this stuff about how they are only regarded as physical specimens lacking in intelligence and often the same work ethic as white players. Yet still it gets denied in places like this. Is the racism so casual and ingrained that the people participating aren't even aware of it?

I thought things had moved on from the 70's but maybe they haven't moved on a far as they should?
Have you seen Lukkaku's performance this season? He resembles a statue more than a modern premiership player - I.e. he barely moves

Also, are you suggesting that he shouldn't be criticised for being lazy because of his skin colour?

Classical Mechanic

I haven't seen the post, but comparing him to a gorilla is obviously an issue, even if not meant with any intent, it's basic sensitivity. It just shouldn't be done, for a multitude of reasons. Main one being - it's racist as feck.

But, individually, Lukaku being described as lazy isn't completely baseless stereotyping. Don't the stats actually back up his lack of movement, sprints, distance covered etc? even last season before he packed on the muscle.

Are black players generally stereotyped as lazy? I thought it was usually the opposite? Words like "athletic" and "powerful" and "big and strong" tend to be used to describe some. Rashford, Welbeck, Kante are often lauded for workrate over their overall technique. Pogba and Martial are often lauded for their technique but lack of workrate etc. I agree with posts above that intelligence, or lack of, is often banded around where black players are concerned, and that certainly seems to be a negative stereotype.
The stats do back it up. He covers the 5th least amount of distance in a game in the PL. Martial is worse though covering the 2nd least amount of distance per game in the league.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...thest-missed-most-chances-12-games-statistics

Worth nothing that we as a team cover the 5th least amount of distance in the league.

Comparing him to a gorilla is awful though.

PepsiCola

Thing is that it usually is the case. Lukaku is a big bumbling dumb looking beast of a player...doesn't matter what his skin colour is!
:houllier::houllier::houllier:

It's an issue on this forum. People would rather be ignorant of it, though.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
@Barca84

While there is, without a doubt, base level elements of racism in this, your example is terrible. Clearly, he’s lazy player. Are you saying black players shouldn’t be labelled as lazy when they are lazy because it is, rather ironically, a lazy stereotype?

Red Star One

All our players are often labelled as unintelligent. Nobody cared when we called out Shaw for being overweight, or called Berbatov lazy, or called Rooney dumb, fat and everything else. To be fair to most Utd fans, they seem to be fairly critical of all our players, regardless of skin colour.
My impression too. No doubt there is still racism in football (and outside of football too), but I don't think criticism of Lukaku has anything to do with his skin colour. His lack of ability, awful ball control and ridiculously bad decision making lately are symptoms of a not-so-good player and have nothing to do with the fact he's black. I also don't think the fact that in my eye Lukaku prioritizes his national team over club has anything to do with his skin colour. When we were so critical of Di Maria, was it an anti-Latino sentiment that drove us, or just his genuine lack of ambition, commitment and passion for the club?
I am not so sure that "the lazy black player" stereotype is so common in the Premier League in general. If you ask fans who is the most hard-working player with the best vision/decision making/footballing IQ, many (including me) will say Kante.

CM

It's hard to gauge on a forum because there are plenty who are reactionary enough to call a player just about anything after a couple of poor performances.

I do think black players do tend to get called thick or lazy more often than white players though. I can't actually think of a time when a white player was regularly accused of being thick apart from when Mourinho turned half the fanbase against Luke Shaw.

SteveTheRed

It's strange how we can never move past "old racism". If Lukaku is being lazy, he should be called such without someone popping up going "Well there is a old racist stereotype about black players being lazy so you can't say that". In that scenario there is only one person bringing race into it.

Classical Mechanic

I do think black players do tend to get called thick or lazy more often than white players though. I can't actually think of a time when a white player was regularly accused of being thick apart from when Mourinho turned half the fanbase against Luke Shaw.
I call Rojo thick all the time. He's dumb as a post on the pitch.

Zlatattack

I can't say i've ever come across his. My experience is only annecdotal but I've always thought it the other way round, with black players being stereotyped as "physical".

I mean how lazy are Mane, Kante, Drogba, Rashford, Lingard, Viera, Henry, Cole, Campbell, Walker, Sterling - just to name a few?

Shearer said some interesting stuff about Lukaku on MOTD2 last night. He suggested he was hiding on the pitch because he was in poor form. If there has been racism against him by fans on this forum, it needs to be reported to the mods.

Bola

@Barca84

While there is, without a doubt, base level elements of racism in this, your example is terrible. Clearly, he’s lazy player. Are you saying black players shouldn’t be labelled as lazy when they are lazy, because it is, ironically, a lazy stereotype?
I've read it, but I'm struggling to see what points you are trying to make?

Making assumptions based on someone's skin colour is wrong, as is making ravusl based slurs. However, you seem to have picked a poor example in Lukkaku, he is being branded lazy because his play is 'lazy' (e.g. lack of movement) as a striker*

* although not when on the right as his forward moves are muvh better, in addition to him busting a gut to get back.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
People always find things to complain about.

The term is: Lukaku is lazy
The term isn't: black players are lazy

Berbatov got the same criticism, he's not black the last time I checked.

ivaldo

What is lazy is not reading the OP properly. :rolleyes:
I've read it, and reread since, and your example is still shit. If you're going to make a thread about the matter, it's good form to make sure your example reflects that.

Are you trying to obtuse? I mean rscism in it's simplist form.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
People always find things to complain about.

The term is: Lukaku is lazy
The term isn't: black players are lazy

Berbatov got the same criticism, he's not black the last time I checked.
Totally misses the point.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
All our players are often labelled as unintelligent. Nobody cared when we called out Shaw for being overweight, or called Berbatov lazy, or called Rooney dumb, fat and everything else. To be fair to most Utd fans, they seem to be critical of all our players, regardless of skin colour.
Again missing the point.
Now look at the majority of black players in the league and see if there is a common trend when they are not performing.

One of 3 things are said:

Lazy
Attitude problem
Unintelligent

tedketterman

It's strange how we can never move past "old racism". If Lukaku is being lazy, he should be called such without someone popping up going "Well there is a old racist stereotype about black players being lazy so you can't say that". In that scenario there is only one person bringing race into it.
Agreed. Obviously racism has no place in football/sport/life in general, but we're never going to get past it if people are clutching at straws to turn any comment about a non-white player into a racist one.

shaky

It's hard to gauge on a forum because there are plenty who are reactionary enough to call a player just about anything after a couple of poor performances.

You don't remember Rooney being the regarded as thick? He was seen as the stereotypical "thick" footballer for over a decade.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I've read it, and reread since, and your example is still shit. Is Lukaku not lazy then?
Always read the question properly my man or you'll screw up.

Re: Lukaku I think that probably only he knows the answer to that because only he knows how much effort he's putting in.

He might be massively demotivated in a team not set up to suit him and playing wank football. I don't know. That doesn't fit the big lazy black player stereotype though..

ivaldo

I've read it, but I'm struggling to see what points you are trying to make?

Making assumptions based on someone's skin colour is wrong, as is making ravusl based slurs. However, you seem to have picked a poor example in Lukkaku, he is being branded lazy because his play is 'lazy' (e.g. lack of movement) as a striker*

* although not when on the right as his forward moves are muvh better, in addition to him busting a gut to get back.
Was this meant for me.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think this stereotype is well-spread.
We don't really have it in France, players are rarely isolated and called lazy or dumb. But the british press does it a lot more.

arthurka

Comparing someone to a gorilla implies lack of intelligence rather than physical prowess.
It´s well proven that Gorillas are some of the most intelligent animals on earth, they are also really physical..
How I see this it has more to do with his style of play, his posture and lack of composure than race and stereotyping. Also having a terrible spell of prolonged goal drought isn´t helping at all.

Like I said I liked him a lot more when his biggest problem was having a huge Johnson...

crossy1686

career ending
You don't remember Rooney being the regarded as thick? He was seen as the stereotypical "thick" footballer for over a decade.
This wouldn't have been labeled at Rooney is he wasn't from Irish decent and was often referred to as 'Pug' faced, another slur.

If Rooney would have looked like, say Carrick or Lampard, no one would have questioned his intelligence.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Re: Lukaku I think that probably only he knows the answer to that because only he knows how much effort he's putting in.

He might be massively demotivated in a team not set up to suit him and playing wank football. I don't know. That doesn't fit the big lazy black player stereotype though..
I think you're clutching here. Stevie Wonder could see Lukaku is lazy. And as for blaming Jose for Lukaku not trying hard enough...at some point you have to take responsibility as a player. Effort is the minimum you expect from a player, and if the fans don't see you putting the effort in, especially if you're in bad form, then yeah, you're probably going to be called out on it.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
It´s well proven that Gorillas are some of the most intelligent animals on earth, they are also really physical..
How I see this it has more to do with his style of play, his posture and lack of composure....
Like I said I liked him a lot more when his biggest problem was having a huge Johnson...
There is absolutely no racial stereotyping in here.

ivaldo

You seem to think you've written something different. You might to reread what you've written, and maybe not jump on people for pointing it out.

No, he's lazy. I've asked you a direct question and you've tiptoed around giving a proper answer, chiefly because you know he's lazy. It's a shit example.

shaky

Again missing the point.
Now look at the majority of black players in the league and see if there is a common trend when they are not performing.
Missing what point? That if insults are used against white people then it's fair game, but if they're used against black people then it must be racism? IMO, Underperforming players get criticsed regardless of their skin colour. Do you actually think most fans give underperforming white players a free pass? That's not remotely true from what I've seen.

POF

Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham, Gazza, Jason McAteer, Phil Jones. You're not trying very hard.

izec

Pogba isnt lazy, he just lacks the right timing and positioning.

Lukaku is heavy and everything seems to be difficult for him this season. Last season everything was fine when he scored and looked leaner

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
You seem to think you've written something different. You might to reread what you've written, and maybe not jump on people for pointing it out.

No, he's lazy. I've asked you a direct question and you've tiptoed around giving a proper answer, chiefly because you know he's lazy. It's a shit example.
Thanks man but no I don't know he's lazy and I know full well what I've written. Sort your comprehension skills out dude. Now if you don't mind there's some constructive posts to deal with...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Rashford and Martial are often labelled as unintelligent.
Phil Jones and Rojo are too though.

The gorilla thing is obviously a ridiculous thing to say and clearly has racial connotations. Even if that wasn't the intention it should be obvious not to say this.

I don't think players who aren't good at decision making shouldn't be called out on it because of the risk of being labelled racist though. It's certainly Rashford's biggest flaw at the moment. This is obviously on the pitch.

There may be something in the lazy Lukaku thing. I don't think he's lazy at all personally. Just rubbish.

shaky

This wouldn't have been labeled at Rooney is he wasn't from Irish decent and was often referred to as 'Pug' faced, another slur.

If Rooney would have looked like, say Carrick or Lampard, no one would have questioned his intelligence.
So Rooney was actually just a victim of anti-Irish racism? Ok I've heard it all now.

Reddy Rederson

Missing what point? That if insults are used against white people then it's fair game, but if they're used against black people then it must be racism? IMO, Underperforming players get criticsed regardless of their skin colour. Do you actually think most fans give underperforming white players a free pass? That's not remotely true from what I've seen.
Probably because Matic gets more shit than anyone else in the squad currently.

Classical Mechanic

Beckham was slated more than any other player in memory for being thick. There was even a comedy sketch show on TV where he was depicted as having the intelligence and emotional development of a child.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham, Gazza, Jason McAteer, Phil Jones. You're not trying very hard.
Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham and Gazza were regarded as intelligent footballers. You can have the other two.