The "lazy black player" stereotype

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Barney Ronay in the Guardian captured Yaya best, I think:
"...it offers an insight into Touré himself: an intelligent and eloquent man who on the pitch has begun to look like a surprisingly nuanced and delicately phrased galloping midfield bludgeon.
Pre-Pellegrini Touré seemed to have two main roles at City: his default setting as a kind of strolling defensive bicep; and beyond this the runaway-dustcart mode whereby Touré would be "released" upfield to launch a series of disorientating forward charges, ball trapped beneath his thundering hooves, the attacking midfield equivalent of the massive terrifying round boulder in the Indiana Jones films that keeps looming up out of mine shafts and rumbling down tunnels and generally scattering the natives.
"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/dec/06/yaya-toure-manchester-city-notebook
I see so many gushing over his writing and I don't get it. I think he's awful.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not to mention Kante and the Brazil team of the 50s and 60s.

Pele was a huge 1m 73.

Eusebio dwarfed him at 1m 75
Funnily enough Edgar Davids was among the small players but played like a unit, while Pogba is among the units but plays like a small player.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Because racism still exists?
Then name the thread "Racism in football". But why put racism and stereotypes where they don't exist. Just because someone says a player is lazy and that player happens to be black, it doesn't mean it's racist. This thread should have died as soon as it was made because there is no such thing as a "lazy black player stereotype". I can't believe I've even wasted my time responding to this shite...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Then name the thread "Racism in football". But why put racism and stereotypes where they don't exist. Just because someone says a player is lazy and that player happens to be black, it doesn't mean it's racist. This thread should have died as soon as it was made because there is no such thing as a "lazy black player stereotype". I can't believe I've even wasted my time responding to this shite...
You haven't been following the debate have you?

It clearly goes to a racist stereotype.Black people will always be judged on their colour first and foremost: attitude problem,more interested in having a good time,bling,parties,hairdos

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Yeah he was incredible. He seemed to get better year on year too. Well, up-to a point.
Started slowly in his first season, but really hit a purple patch around Christmas 2010 that started with two goals away at West Ham and ended with his goal in the FA Cup final against Stoke. Then he played a big role for us in the first title winning season (even if I thought Barry and Silva were better that year) and got two huge goals up at Newcastle. Mancini brought him to the club but he never got the best out of him outside of the business end of the season.

Toure's 13/14 season under Pellegrini, though, is the greatest individual season I've ever seen a player have. 24 goals in 49 games, adding 12 assists across nearly 4,000 minutes, all from central midfield. Those are unreal numbers that remain unmatched. As well as dominating basically every game he played in, he scored the goal that pulled us back from the dead in the League Cup final (which remains to this day the greatest goal I've ever seen live) and played a huge part in dragging us to the title once Liverpool had opened the door.

He tailed off a little during the 14-15 and 15-16 seasons but still scored a good number of goals (12 in 37, then 8 in 47), and he contributed bits and pieces to Pep's first season (7 goals in 31 games) before disappearing from the scene entirely by the time the Centurions campaign was under way. His goodbye celebration said it all, though, when Kompany picked up the microphone and started listing the big goals he'd scored for us down the years. I was there and I was choking up as it all came over me.

Tarrou

what a car crash of a post, why waste your time indeed

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
You're ignoring the first sentence in which Ronay emphasises Yaya's intelligence. And in the same linked article:
"Under Manuel Pellegrini Touré has not only been brilliantly effective, he has also been different. Touré 3.0 is less a creature of extremes, performing instead alongside Fernandinho as a central midfielder of real craft, a player of timing and angles and incisive short passing, subtleties emerging almost by stealth..."

Reading comprehension helps in these things.
You highlighted an excerpt from an article on Toure which you said you felt best captured him. That's what I was referring to. I stand by what I said. It's a poor, misleading and lazy description of Toure that overemphasises his physicality. It was a common feature of his time at City by pundits, commentators and fans alike to emphasise his size and strength when praising him. It's strange because as a City fan I'd put him on the same pedestal as the likes of Silva and de Bruyne for sheer talent alone.

RochaRoja

The lazy stereotype is bullshit though.
White players get labelled lazy. Berbatov prime example.
Oh and Lukaku and up untill the past couple of games or even game was lazy.
Extremely lazy
The fact that Berbatov (who actually was “lazy”) has been cited so often shows that the labelling of white players as lazy is rife like it is with black and specifically African players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I do think racism exists in football, but is the last black player a thing? I see most people emphasize on physicality wrt black players rather than lazyness. Mane, Kante, Drogba, Essien, etc werent considered lazy. Who are these alleged lazy black players other than decent claim made towards Lukaku? Lukaku can be a technical monstrosity just like that big pony tailed CF Liverpool signed was - Caroll, was it?

RochaRoja

I do think racism exists in football, but is the last black player a thing? I see most people emphasize on physicality wrt black players rather than lazyness. Mane, Kante, Drogba, Essien, etc werent considered lazy. Who are these alleged lazy black players other than decent claim made towards Lukaku? Lukaku can be a technical monstrosity just like that big pony tailed CF Liverpool signed was - Caroll, was it?
Drogba’s a terrible example. He was criticized for “laziness” and “attitude problems” for the majority of his career in Chelsea. It was only retrospectively that the British media gave him the respect he deserved.

Tarrou

The fact that Berbatov (who actually was “lazy”) has been cited so often shows that the labelling of white players as lazy is rife like it is with black and specifically African players.
How does “yeah but people called Berbatov lazy”... show that it’s just as rife?

Berbatov was lazy and people called him lazy. If people somewhere else call black players lazy out of racist motivations, how does the first event have any meaningful impact on that?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Drogba’s a terrible example. He was criticized for “laziness” and “attitude problems” for the majority of his career in Chelsea. It was only retrospectively that the British media gave him the respect he deserved.
I recall him being criticized for being a bit of bumbling mess early on which he was.

So one terrible example and 3 great ones? Is Drogba and Lukaku the only examples. Which other ones have been consistently called lazy?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
For lots of people that have never experienced racism, it's seen as an overt act like using n-word, throwing bananas onto a pitch or calling out someone purely on skin colour. This is a nice easy way to look at it as allows people, politicians and journalists to write it off as a few bad apples in an otherwise tolerant bunch. But it ignores an endemic sometimes unconcious racism that is still prevalent throughout football. Commenting on Pogba's physicality or Lukaku's work rate is not by itself racist, the issue is that this is all that most people do, Pogba is far more likely to have his strength commended than his vision or his intelligence on the pitch. The same is true for Lukaku and so many other players of colour, Drogba was another good example.

There was study in the NFL a few years back looking specifically at the words used to describe black players and white players, they found that white players were described far more with words referring to their mentality like leadership, sharp and intelligent. Black players on the other hand were described with words like fluidity, raw and motor.

This is the same for football players in the UK and the way the UK press describes, it may be unconcious and it maybe that noone is actively tryng to cause offence, but it is endemic racism none the less.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You haven't been following the debate have you?

It clearly goes to a racist stereotype.Black people will always be judged on their colour first and foremost: attitude problem,more interested in having a good time,bling,parties,hairdos
You will have to excuse me for sticking to the topic and not drifting off because the topic is a non-issue. In other words, no...I did not read the thread. Didn't think I needed to waste my time considering how shite the original post is...

Hughes35

Some people also think likening a black player to a big monkey is pretty funny. Oh stop my sides.
To be fair, Gareth Bale looks more like a monkey than most monkeys so It isn't always about race.

There is obviously still an issue with racism in a lot of society and most likely still in some corners of football, and it should not be accepted in any form. Not everything is racism though.

Inigo Montoya

You will have to excuse me for sticking to the topic and not drifting off because the topic is a non-issue. In other words, no...I did not read the thread. Didn't think I needed to waste my time considering how shite the original post is...
But you felt compelled to reply. If you can't be bothered to read, then don't bother to reply unless you just love to see your opinion in print.

Inigo Montoya

Conjecture at best.

And you've chosen one player

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
For lots of people that have never experienced racism, it's seen as an overt act like using n-word, throwing bananas onto a pitch or calling out someone purely on skin colour. This is a nice easy way to look at it as allows people, politicians and journalists to write it off as a few bad apples in an otherwise tolerant bunch. But it ignores an endemic sometimes unconcious racism that is still prevalent throughout football. Commenting on Pogba's physicality or Lukaku's work rate is not by itself racist, the issue is that this is all that most people do, Pogba is far more likely to have his strength commended than his vision or his intelligence on the pitch. The same is true for Lukaku and so many other players of colour, Drogba was another good example.

There was study in the NFL a few years back looking specifically at the words used to describe black players and white players, they found that white players were described far more with words referring to their mentality like leadership, sharp and intelligent. Black players on the other hand were described with words like fluidity, raw and motor.

This is the same for football players in the UK and the way the UK press describes, it may be unconcious and it maybe that noone is actively tryng to cause offence, but it is endemic racism none the less.
I think you've described the way racism works pretty accurately. In one of my media psychology classes we covered of a study in which probands were shown two images in such rapid succession that you could barely make out the motive. The first picture was of a face (belonging to either a black or a white person), the second one was of an object (either a hand gun or a drilling machine). The results were that if the people were shown the picture of the black person they were much more likely to correctly identify the hand gun and also much more likely to wrongly identify the drilling machine as a weapon.

However, I think that your claims of black players being described with certain phrases don't necessarily have to do with racism. The examples you brought up are of two players that are arguably the world's strongest in their positions. For both their physique is the most reminiscent aspect of their play. Pogba is a very good passer and has great skills in his pocket, yes, but I can easily think of midfielders that are more impressive with a ball at their feet. But I can think of none that can outmuscle his opponents the way Pogba does so naturally he's described as powerful and strong.

If there was a "black Iniesta" or "black Xavi" and they'd been described that way then fair enough but that is not the case IMO. Players get described based on their play style. I'm pretty sure somebody like Rooney would be described with phrases similar to those you are criticizing.
The lazy part I don't see at all, to be honest. Currently I can't really think of a black player commonly referred to as lazy besides maybe Balotelli and he has done more than enough to earn this reputation. Speaking of white players, there directly come multiple to mind: Özil, Verratti, Kroos, Isco, ...

Now if these descriptions of players are generally accurate respectively based on their playing style, this would mean that players of African heritage generally rely more on their physique compared to white players. And in all honesty, I don't think that this is wrong. Black people have advantages when it comes to sprinting and stamina so it's only logical that they make use of these traits in the same way Southern Europeans utilize their lower centers of gravity for quick turns and stuff like that. Currently, I don't see that a player isn't given credit if he has great technical abilities or quality in his decision making. Kante or Seri are good examples, IMO. Okocha back in the day.

RochaRoja

I recall him being criticized for being a bit of bumbling mess early on which he was.

So one terrible example and 3 great ones? Is Drogba and Lukaku the only examples. Which other ones have been consistently called lazy?
Essien and Kanté are the other end of the scale. Black players who have been fetished for their physical abilities and work rates. Any black player who doesn’t fit into this stereotype is branded as lazy.

Pogba, Yaya, Yakubu, Bouba Diop, Benteke, Balotelli, Anderson, Robinho, Jô, Willian, Kanu, Geremi, Adebayor, Alex Song, Lualua, Sissoko, Wanchope, Bolasie, Anelka, Papiss Cissé, Bony, Desailly, Martial, N’Zogbia, Zaha, M’Vila, Iwobi, Sané, Sterling, Atsu, the Ayew brothers, Aurier, Fuller, Kenwyne Jones, Wanyama, Diouf, Diao, Utaka, Odemwingie, Kanouté, Yorke and McCarthy.

Would you like any more?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Essien and Kanté are the other end of the scale. Black players who have been fetished for their physical abilities and work rates. Any black player who doesn’t fit into this stereotype is branded as lazy.

Pogba, Yaya, Yakubu, Bouba Diop, Benteke, Balotelli, Anderson, Robinho, Jô, Willian, Kanu, Geremi, Adebayor, Alex Song, Lualua, Sissoko, Wanchope, Bolasie, Anelka, Papiss Cissé, Bony, Desailly, Martial, N’Zogbia, Zaha, M’Vila, Iwobi, Sané, Sterling, Atsu, the Ayew brothers, Aurier, Fuller, Kenwyne Jones, Wanyama, Diouf, Diao, Utaka, Odemwingie, Kanouté, Yorke and McCarthy.

Would you like any more?
Wait all these players have been called lazy?

RochaRoja

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/886214-20-laziest-players-in-world-football#slide15

A mixed bag of players, I'll leave you to decide which one's are deemed racist.
Benjani? :houllier:

Garbage footballer but the guy ran himself into the ground. He was loved by Portsmouth fans despite failing to score for almost half a season after joining them because of his workrate.

It’s like the writer just picked an African footballer at random.

Kanu also played the majority of his career after having open heart surgery ffs.

Conor

At some point in their careers, yes.
Do you honestly have proof that all of the named players have been called lazy, unwarranted? To me that seems like you've named every black player you know that played in the PL and are gonna work backwards from there.

Beaucoup

I don't understand what you're getting at? So an inclusive list somehow proves that there isn't a stereotypical view of black players?
Of course not, but there is a presumption that by mentioning a viewpoint/attribute of a certain player/person that it has to be deemed racist by default, just because it fits a stereotypical view. It's simply not the case.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Do you honestly have proof that all of the named players have been called lazy, unwarranted? To me that seems like you've named every black player you know that played in the PL and are gonna work backwards from there.
:lol:

RochaRoja

Believe what you want, doesn’t bother me. I’m sure there are plenty of posters who will recognise the majority of those players having such things said about them.

Pace Abuser

Black players are lazy? If anything, I'd say they are viewed as being indefatigable.

Fernandinho
Sterling
Rashford
Kante
Welbeck
Wiji
Delph
Matuidi
Rose

Are players cited as being paragons of the kind of graft that's cheered by fans. France won a world cup with majority black squad that was lauded for its juxtaposition of technical class to work-ethic.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
To be fair Seri, Fred, Keita, Musa, Sterling or Mendy are all giants. And I forgot Kanté.
None of those players are like the players quoted.

We’re not talking about height. We’re discussing playing styles.

macheda14

Soooooo, what do we think about the most recent report on the subject (that for some reason I can’t link in this thread)

Search: ‘Groundbreaking report reveals racial bias in English football commentary’ in The Guardian

The findings are: Players with lighter skin more often praised for intelligence
And
Power and pace referenced more often if player has darker skin

OL29

Soooooo, what do we think about the most recent report on the subject (that for some reason I can’t link in this thread)

Search: ‘Groundbreaking report reveals racial bias in English football commentary’ in The Guardian

The findings are: Players with lighter skin more often praised for intelligence
And
Power and pace referenced more often if player has darker skin
Hardly a surprise, anyone who doesn’t notice it isn’t paying attention imo.