The "lazy black player" stereotype

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think you're clutching here. Stevie Wonder could see Lukaku is lazy. And as for blaming Jose for Lukaku not trying hard enough...at some point you have to take responsibility as a player. Effort is the minimum you expect from a player, and if the fans don't see you doing that, then yeah, you're probably going to be called out on it.
But Lukaku is clearly not lazy, the distance covered stats are clearly of function of the instructions that he is following. A player that is expected to play between the CBs will cover very little ground. In general United under Mourinho doesn't play on the full length of the field, every player is expected to rigidly occupy a limited area.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Missing what point? That if insults are used against white people then it's fair game, but if they're used against black people then it must be racism? IMO, Underperforming players get criticsed regardless of their skin colour. Do you actually think most fans give underperforming white players a free pass? That's not remotely true from what I've seen.

Not if the insults are used disproportionally and are always targeted in a specific area.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Beckham was slated more than any other player in memory for being thick. There was even a comedy sketch show on TV where he was depicted as having the intelligence and emotional development of a child.
Not for being a "thick" footballer though.

lads missing the point aots in here

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Agreed. Obviously racism has no place in football/sport/life in general, but we're never going to get past it if people are clutching at straws to turn any comment about a non-white player into a racist one.
It doesn't have to be explicit to exist. History casts a long shadow: descriptions of black sportspeople sometimes bear resemblance to slave-owners discussing which slave is a good or bad worker, placid or 'troublesome '. Part of the praise the excellent footballer Kante receives is surely down to the fact that he 'doesn't make a fuss', isn't outspoken (read: 'uppity'), isn't 'flashy' etc etc; the implication is that he's earned our shabby praise because his humility makes him acceptable in our society, according to our so-called standards. This isn't just about his footballing qualities.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Some gorillas can be lazy and can't play football.

I'm actually called the chimp in my team. I have long arms which dangle very similar to a monkey's.

I am white british, would it be considered as racist if I was black?

Fyi I haven't seen the original post. I'm sure there was no malice.
Yes. If you don't understand this go do some reading up.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This is the first time I read about this stereotype thing here.

Lukaku is clumsy, no matter what skin tone he has.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Some gorillas can be lazy and can't play football.

I'm actually called the chimp in my team. I have long arms which dangle very similar to a monkey's.

I am white british, would it be cosidered as racist if I was black?

Fyi I haven't seen the original post. I'm sure there was no malice.
It can be racist even if you're white. Remember Ross Barkley?

Cassidy

This is the first time I read about this stereotype thing here.

Lukaku is clumsy, no matter what skin tone he has.
Did anyone complain about him being called clumsy or not having a good first touch?

arthurka

There is absolutely no racial stereotyping in here.
Funny how how sarcasm sometimes gets lost in translation. :nervous:
Strangely these are all things that are taken from his thread and are in no shape or form my interpretation.
And in no way am I saying these are all racist comments most of them are genuine description of a player but sadly fit the type.
I just think he is an average player nothing more and nothing less a bit like Andy Carroll..

I disagree with that. When Lukaku is full of confidence and not built like a rugbyman, he will make the extra mile and run after everything offensively and defensively. In his attitude is a very much like Cavani but he doesn't have the same off the ball quality, he doesn't have great timing and anticipation, these things are coachable if he meets an actual coach.
That was part of Shearer's point. Last season he was running everywhere but now he's jogging about getting beaten to everything.

youmeletsfly

Don't think there's any lazy black player stereotype, it's the other way around, black players are known to run like horses.

Thing is, successful black people always attract some sort of unwanted interest around them, dunno why, it just seems white people don't like successful black ones. But that's more of a society thing.

Can't ever think in football that anyone can evaluate a player's performance based on skin color. That's absolutely dumb and idiotic.

Do I think that Lukaku is a bit lazy and he seems to lack football intelligence? Big yes.
Do I think he licks Jose's ass in all interviews and talks a lot of shit only because he wants to say the right things?Big Yes. Am I being racist towards him or saying these things only because he's black, feck no.

POF

Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham and Gazza were regarded as intelligent footballers. You can have the other two.
Who regards Gerrard as an intelligent footballer? I would suggest they're not the smartest themselves but that could be construed as racist!

Rooney was also far from intelligent on the pitch as his "let me play in midfield like Scholes" phase demonstrates.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Gerrard was critcised for being all blood and thunder and tactically inept. Beckham and Gazza were often depicted as being unintelligent human beings.
Gerrard is rightly lauded as one of the best players in the Premiership. The caf perspective on him is skewed to say the least.

Re the others the discussion is regarding footballers and their performances on the pitch ie footballing intelligence

Cassidy

It´s well proven that Gorillas are some of the most intelligent animals on earth, they are also really physical..
How I see this it has more to do with his style of play, his posture and lack of composure than race and stereotyping. Also having a terrible spell of prolonged goal drought isn´t helping at all.

Like I said I liked him a lot more when his biggest problem was having a huge Johnson...
State of this..

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think you're conflating two different stereotypes into one.

There's a lazy black people stereotype, and there's a 'powerful, athletic beast' stereotype for athletes/players.

There's a difference between comparing Lukaku to a gorilla, and calling him lazy.
It's right to criticise him as being lazy, because he is being lazy.
That's not to say that all the criticism thrown his way has been bereft of racism though.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Thanks man but no I don't know he's lazy and I know full well what I've written. Sort your comprehension skills out dude. Now if you don't mind there's some constructive posts to deal with...
Sure, sure. The plethora of responses you've received pointing out the same thing to you should have been a red light. Not for you though it seems. You seem incapable of separating racial profiling from something that is actually true.

The unfortunate truth about stereotypes is occasionally they are an adequate description of an individual.

Are all black players lazy? No
Are most black players lazy? No
Are some black players lazy? Yes
Is Lukaku lazy? Yes

Now, as I implied in my first reply in this thread, I agree entirely that we see unfair levels of stereotyping for black players, but that doesn't mean that Lukaku isn't a shit example of this. And your refusal to actually commit to a stance on your view of whether Lukaku is lazy or not, tells us all we need to know. Sort out your comprehension skills, dude.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I disagree with that. When Lukaku is full of confidence and not built like a rugbyman, he will make the extra mile and run after everything offensively and defensively. In his attitude is a very much like Cavani but he doesn't have the same off the ball quality, he doesn't have great timing and anticipation, these things are coachable if he meets an actual coach.
You’d think that having Henry as your personal mentor would’ve been enough. Not sure who can realistically push him to another level (not from his current form, but from his peak one) aside from Pep but Pep would probably sign someone more suited to his demands.

Classical Mechanic

Gerrard is rightly lauded as one of the best players in the Premiership. The caf perspective on him is skewed to say the least.

Re the others the discussion is regarding footballers and their performances on the pitch ie footballing intelligence
Pogba and Gerarrd share similar problems as players I feel as both struggled with tactical responsibility. Gerrard negated this somewhat with his drive and leadership qualities but I agree that you wouldn't hear Souness doing anything other than kissing Stevie's backside.

crossy1686

career ending
This thread is going to get locked any minute. Some of the replies in here make me seriously question the emotional intelligence of some posters.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I think you're conflating two different stereotypes into one.

There's a lazy black people stereotype, and there's a 'powerful, athletic beast' stereotype for athletes/players.

There's a difference between comparing Lukaku to a gorilla, and calling him lazy.
It's right to criticise him as being lazy, because he is being lazy.
That's not to say that all the criticism thrown his way has been bereft of racism though.
The gorilla comment precipitated this wider discussion of casual racism and black player stereotypes eg prized for their athletic ability and physical prowess but also lialble to be called lazy and dumb.

it's been going on since the days of slavery

2 man midfield

But Lukaku is clearly not lazy, the distance covered stats are clearly of function of the instructions that he is following. A player that is expected to play between the CBs will cover very little ground. In general United under Mourinho doesn't play on the full length of the field, every player is expected to rigidly occupy a limited area.
I'm not even talking about the distance he's covered. I understand that some tactical change is the reason behind why he's no longer running the channels and tracking back. He's being played as a target man, basically. That's fine. The least he could do though is look a little bit bothered about it though. Did he even win one header yesterday? He's jogging around like a 60 a day smoker.

JPRouve

Scout
That was part of Shearer's point. Last season he was running everywhere but now he's jogging about getting beaten to everything.
The extra mass will do that, muscles require a lot of fuel and his gas tank won't be a lot bigger than it was before. Logically in his current state, he should have less agility and stamina.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
This thread is going to get locked any minute. Some of the replies in here make me seriously question the emotional intelligence of some posters.
The thread should really be kept open and certain beliefs challenged

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not even talking about the distance he's covered. I understand that some tactical change is the reason behind why he's no longer running the channels and tracking back. He's being played as a target man, basically. That's fine. The least he could do though is look a little bit bothered about it though. Did he even win one header yesterday? He's jogging around like a 60 a day smoker.
Lukaku has always been bad at that, it has nothing to do with being Lazy, he isn't a target man, he doesn't have the qualities of target man and his flaws are exactly what you don't want in a target man.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
The extra mass will do that, muscles require a lot of fuel and his gas tank won't be a lot bigger than it was before. Logically in his current state, he should have less agility and stamina.
Yeh but the fans since a big strong fella not running around enough therefore = lazy.

CM

You don't remember Rooney being the regarded as thick? He was seen as the stereotypical "thick" footballer for over a decade.
I suppose. I was thinking more recently than him though.

POF

You’d think that having Henry as your personal mentor would’ve been enough. Not sure who can realistically push him to another level (not from his current form, but from his peak one) aside from Pep but Pep would probably sign someone more suited to his demands.
Thierry Henry once picked out one Premier League striker whose skills he most envied. It was Kevin Davies. Maybe Thierry was the one who suggested Rom should aim to have an arse like Kim Kardashian.

2 man midfield

Lukaku has always been bad at that, it has nothing to do with being Lazy, he isn't a target man, he doesn't have the qualities of target man and his flaws are exactly what you don't want in a target man.
That's on Jose, I've said all season we're not using him correctly. Lukaku can't help that.

But the thing he can control is his effort. Even if he was playing left back I'd expect to see him doing more than he's doing now.

L1nk

Of course likening to a gorilla is pretty horrendous and, yes of course, racist, with absolutely zero comparison to be made really, it doesn't even make sense...

But anyway, it seems, considering the reaction on here, that it should be impossible to call a black player lazy or unintelligent just because of the colour of their skin, but what if the player is lazy or unintelligent? I would consider Lukaku to be lazy and unintelligent, however, I would not consider Rashford or Martial to be lazy and unintelligent because they both aren't. Kante definitely isn't, Henry wasn't, I could go on and on, but my point is I consider this about Lukaku because of the way he plays football, surely if it was about racism then you would accuse every black player of being this way? And people aren't

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The gorilla comment precipitated this wider discussion of casual racism and black player stereotypes eg prized for their athletic ability and physical prowess but also lialble to be called lazy and dumb.

it's been going on since the days of slavery
That I agree with, but in the context of football players I don't think black players often get called lazy, black people do - hence the stereotype about not wanting to work etc.
Black players get called athletic, beasts, powerful, tanks, units - yes. Also dumb, unintelligent, thick - yes.

Calling lukaku lazy, is just that - the guy has been lazy this year (so have most of our players) but there's been comparisons to him and Mark Henry, a gorilla like you said and many more that are just soaked in racism.

shaky

Not if the insults are used disproportionally and are always targeted in a specific area.
You obviously think they are used disproportionally, so fair enough, though I suspect it's confirmation bias. I honestly don't see any evidence that black players are targeted any more or less. A quick google of "Lazy Premier League player" for example brings up articles about Lukaku, Morata, Bent, Ozil, Luiz, Shaquiri, Podolski, Mahrez, Chicharito. That's obviously not proof of anything either, but there you go.

MaCo

Supports
AFC Ajax, FC Barcelona
But what's wrong with describing what you see? Is it some kind of crime? Does Lukaku look like a delicate, swift footed intelligent player with a good understanding of the game to you? Or does he look like a big clumsy oath (given his current form). It is pretty fecking obvious which description fits better.
Unfortunatly Political Correctness dictates we are no longer allowed to say what you see. Some see racism in everything, the intent is what matters not how you experience it. If it wasn't ment to be racist don't make it racism. And Lukaku deserves to be called lazy when he is lazy. Black people are not immune to be called out for how they behave. I think calling people out for how they behave (lazy it currently is) is the best example of neutrality. We call out Mourinho for being a terrible human being and not because he is Portuguese.

Last edited by a moderator:

beedoubleyou

Wow. I assume this person was banned?

You cannot compare black players to monkeys. No ifs or buts.

It's as simple as that.

What disgrace of few weeks its been here. From fans no longer watching to others begging for a Saudi sugar-daddy.

I can only hope some of those who stop watching start watching another club.

From the looks of this thread, some would make perfect Chelsea supporters.

Reiver

I've seen the post to which the OP is referring and, lazy or not, to liken Lukaku to a gorilla is bang out of order. Honestly couldn't believe what I was reading.

Bola

Beckham was slated more than any other player in memory for being thick. There was even a comedy sketch show on TV where he was depicted as having the intelligence and emotional development of a child.

I've seen similar with Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney.

finneh

My post in the Raheem Sterling thread if it adds anything:
Agreed - I find it uncomfortable that people brand situations like this conclusively racist without any real proof. It's often anecdotal "evidence" based on correlation rather than causation.

The correlation for example between black players being referred to as "big and strong". Calling Pogba "big and strong" is factually accurate, the same is often applied to Andy Carroll. If the proportion of black players referred to as "big and strong" is greater than that of white players then that is only one facet of a two part test being fulfilled. The next facet is to determine whether or not a greater proportion of players who fall into that category are in fact black. If I look at United's squad then possibly Pogba, Bailly and Lukaku would absolutely fit into this category, as would Matic and Fellaini. If I were to think about the regularity with which commentators tag these players as "big and strong" I'd say Fellaini and Lukaku get it the most... This is down to strength and power being the stand-out facet of their games.

This is true also in my opinion when talking about footballing intelligence. The likes of Sancho for example get plaudits throughout the world due to his intelligence. On the flip side as you suggest Kante is never going to get the same level of praise, simply because that isn't the standout facet of his game. Kante is likely to be called tenacious or praised for his stamina.

In terms of these two articles... One of them says Adarabioyo bought a £2.25m mansion for himself, the other said Foden bought a £2m home for his mum. Any player of any descent is always going to get favourable coverage when buying a house for their mother, as this is something UK culture would applaud. Compare that with a 20 year old buying something ostentatious for themselves before society would see them as earning it and the coverage is obvious.

Look at the coverage for the Anthony Joshua as a comparison and it's far closer to Foden: "Anthony Joshua is the humble heavyweight...still lives at home with his mum in a council house" , "Anthony Joshua surprises mum with a brand new £80,000 Range Rover". Again it's nothing to do with race or colour and everything to do with optics. Tattooing a machine gun on your leg is horrendous optics, forcing a move to a rival club after protracted contract negotiations, at a very young age... Bad optics. Buying you mum a house... Great optics. Living with your mum despite being worth millions... Great optics. Sterling is targeted because his actions in the past have been objectively stupid or crass, as is the case with Adarabioyo. Joshua is a media darling, as is Foden because his actions have great optics. If Sterling wants to be treated better by the media then he should start taking far better advice

We should absolutely call out any racist overtones or undertones wherever we see them, but in my view simplistic and anecdotal non-proof such as Sterling's only serves to fuel racial tensions... It's absolutely not the way in which to address these problems. It's also unfortunate as instead of talking about a horrendous incident involving clear and disgraceful racism we're talking about the non-issue of two Daily Mail articles.
The same is the case with Lukaku. If he barely runs, allows the ball to bounce off his shins and is slow and ponderous to react to any situation as well as coming back from the summer break overweight. Of course he's going to be called lazy, clumsy, dopey, fat and/or simply a useless lump.

This obviously has nothing to do with his race and everything to do with a combination of his size, (lack of) distance covered, (lack of) technical ability and the self confessed negligence around his weight issue. Fellaini got exactly the same treatment throughout the period where he could barely make a pass. Phrases like "lamp post", "useless lump" and "lummox" were thrown around regularly.

Lukaku's stats under every manager have been among the lowest in the league. He's always been a lazy player, but one who historically masked this with several energy sapping lengthy sprints per match. These sprints have reduced in number steadily over the past 3-4 seasons, as he's progressively put on more and more weight.

Last edited: